As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    best part about young justice season finale is that season 2 starts right away next week.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly likely that Disney managed to get the cooperation of, well, everybody for Wreck-It Ralph:
    Last month, we first saw concept art from Disney's upcoming animated feature Wreck-It Ralph. Set inside the world of video games, the film features a game villain — the titular Ralph — in his quest to become more than the sum of his pixelated parts.

Disney today released the first teaser poster for the film, and our first look at Wreck-It Ralph, above, does indeed hearken back to the 8-bit era — and not just in the imaginary Rampage-style game that forms the movie's first world. The film will feature appearances from actual video game characters and villains, similar to the way in which cartoon legends from throughout the ages appeared in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

Legendary Nintendo villain Bowser is confirmed to appear in the film, as is at least one ghost from Pac-Man (though no word on whether it's Inky, Blinky, Pinky, or Clyde). According to IndieWire, other known baddies are planned to appear: "villains like Doctor Robotnik from Sonic the Hedgehog, Kano from Mortal Kombat, and Coily the Snake from Q*bert also pop up."

We also know Dr. Wily and Zangief are in it.

You can check out the poster here:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=f4215ec0-4125-488d-9729-827910f74502

So damn excited.
    This is the first I am hearing of this thing but holy mother of god I want it now.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Young Justice (namely, the clips they showed for next week, this week's was fantastic):
    Was that the (pre-52) modern Teen Titans in the preview? I swear I at least saw Wonder Girl in there. I'm excited for that, since I am one of the few who actually read through Teen Titan's more spotty recent comic run.

Also, the DC short of the New Teen Titans was fantastic for the call backs. Everything from "Dude, you look so 90s" to Starfire's "Are you kidding me!?" reaction to her old 80's costume. Only thing missing was Robin in the original Nightwing monstrosity.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bedlam wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly likely that Disney managed to get the cooperation of, well, everybody for Wreck-It Ralph:
    Last month, we first saw concept art from Disney's upcoming animated feature Wreck-It Ralph. Set inside the world of video games, the film features a game villain — the titular Ralph — in his quest to become more than the sum of his pixelated parts.

Disney today released the first teaser poster for the film, and our first look at Wreck-It Ralph, above, does indeed hearken back to the 8-bit era — and not just in the imaginary Rampage-style game that forms the movie's first world. The film will feature appearances from actual video game characters and villains, similar to the way in which cartoon legends from throughout the ages appeared in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

Legendary Nintendo villain Bowser is confirmed to appear in the film, as is at least one ghost from Pac-Man (though no word on whether it's Inky, Blinky, Pinky, or Clyde). According to IndieWire, other known baddies are planned to appear: "villains like Doctor Robotnik from Sonic the Hedgehog, Kano from Mortal Kombat, and Coily the Snake from Q*bert also pop up."

We also know Dr. Wily and Zangief are in it.

You can check out the poster here:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=f4215ec0-4125-488d-9729-827910f74502

So damn excited.
    This is the first I am hearing of this thing but holy mother of god I want it now.

This is one of the most off-the-wall ideas i'd ever expect to be a film, especially coming from Disney of all studios.

Very intrigued.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Young Justice finally felt ... rushed?

Finale. I wouldn't mention it, but I stared at that sentence like three times trying to figure it out.

I hope in the next season they actually spend less time setting up the overarching plot, or at least do it in a less repetitive manner that doesn't require the villains to go "all according to plan" at the end of every episode.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I found Vandal Savage's logic to be pretty funny. I guess he doesn't realize that the Justice League protects earth from threats that could wipe out the entire human race. You can't evolve to be stronger if you're extinct.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    I found Vandal Savage's logic to be pretty funny. I guess he doesn't realize that the Justice League protects earth from threats that could wipe out the entire human race. You can't evolve to be stronger if you're extinct.
    This might be why Savage kept the league alive.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Is there a place I can catch up on Young Justice, legitimately? I don't think I've seen it on Netflix. (Obviously I could pirate it, but don't want to)

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I can't see it coming on Netflix any time soon. I don't know why DC is so stingy with their streaming options, but off the top of my head I can remember Red Hood, that Shazam short, and one other movie being on Netflix. That's it. It's so impractical especially with all the backlog of the DCAU, even the more obscure stuff like Static and Project Zeta.

On the other hand, Marvel is embracing it, and keeps putting new and old material on there.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man is really bad. It's a shame because there's some really slick animation and sometimes the show is funny.

The biggest problem though is how damn unlikable and annoying Spidey/Peter is. It's partly the voice/partly the writing but man do I want to punch him in the face through out the show.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    best part about young justice season finale is that season 2 starts right away next week.

Can we have a separate YJ thread already?

I become increasingly more and more a fan with each new episode. Also stoked that we're still getting weekly new episodes.

I really hope CN doesn't run this series to the ground like they're apparently doing with Thundercats.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Is there a place I can catch up on Young Justice, legitimately? I don't think I've seen it on Netflix. (Obviously I could pirate it, but don't want to)
    $50 on iTunes for season 1. Wikipedia says dvd/blurays were already released of s1 in 3 volumes, as well.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I become increasingly more and more a fan with each new episode. Also stoked that we're still getting weekly new episodes.

I really hope CN doesn't run this series to the ground like they're apparently doing with Thundercats.

I think YJ may be safe for now -- it's one of the marquee titles for DC Nation, after all.

Then again, we're jumping right from the season one finale to the season two premiere for next week, according to Wikipedia.

Ah well. At least the next episode features the appearance of the character whom I'm certain will solve the mystery last ep posted:
    Lobo!

Okay, he'll probably just be a gigantic distraction. Still, Lobo!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I won't accept anyone but Robert playing that voice.

It's not going to be Robert. :(

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I won't accept anyone but Robert playing that voice.

It's not going to be Robert. :(

...who? The only person who's played him in animation is Brad Garrett, who did a pretty damn good job.

Edit: Oh, you mean his role in Everyone Loves Raymond. Gotcha.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I think YJ may be safe for now -- it's one of the marquee titles for DC Nation, after all.

Then again, we're jumping right from the season one finale to the season two premiere for next week, according to Wikipedia.

Ah well. At least the next episode features the appearance of the character whom I'm certain will solve the mystery last ep posted:
    Lobo!

Okay, he'll probably just be a gigantic distraction. Still, Lobo!

YJ is not safe. It is far from safe. My friend at *redacted* thinks it's very likely it won't be renewed. CN fucking hates it. That's why they didn't advertise for it at all when it came out, and only played the first episode a single time when the series was starting despite it getting great ratings.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Well, it's part of the DC Nation ads, right?

Then again, it's possible it's just keeping the seat warm for Beware the Badly Rendered Batman.

• Options
    Does CN's execs just hate any series that is high on budget and action?

Can someone tell me why no one has started a campaign to have these dumb fucks removed, ala Michael Eisner?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Can someone tell me why no one has started a campaign to have these dumb fucks removed, ala Michael Eisner?

I don't think anyone knows who they are. All the public hears about is Cartoon Network fucking with quality cartoons yet again, not exec x.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I heard one theory, back in the halcyon days of the DCAU, that it's more like they hate any series that they a) didn't create and b) didn't get semi-permanent rights to. (Compare, say, The Last Airbender. Since The Last Airbender was the brainchild of a couple of guys, not a pre-existing franchise, Nickelodeon controls a lot of the rights to it. CN can't do the same when it's negotiating for rights to air a show based on one of Time Warner's oldest and most profitable properties. I know that CN is a division of Turner Broadcasting, and Turner Broadcasting is a division of Time Warner, but when a company gets that big the various subdivisions basically have to start paying each other royalties for using another's stuff.)

As for why they still get the shows and begrudgingly air them anyways, what is Time Warner going to do? Air its stuff on Disney, who now own DC's biggest competitor in the field? License it to Hasbro to air on the Hub, when they don't even produce the toys based on it? Yeah, I'm sure they'll get preferential treatment then, and Mattel would probably be thrilled with that decision. The only thing they could do would be to create a network to compete with CN (which, again, is one of their own properties) or shut down CN entirely (allowing them to fire all the assholes in one move without as much of a protest as if CN were still up and running) and try to start it back up again, and either option is prohibitively expensive even for a company like Time Warner. So I figure they trust word of mouth and the quality of the show will get ratings up, which gets ad revenue up, which makes everyone money and shuts CN's assholes up, at least temporarily.

Anyway, Young Justice seems like it has a defined plot, and that means even if CN never tries to prematurely axe it, its days probably come pre-numbered. Most cartoons with continuity aimed at kids or adolecesents don't go longer than three years anyway, because by that point the theoretical target demographic has grown up.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Shadowen has it right. They don't like properties they don't create and own.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Another thing CN hates, almost above all else really, is a show appealing outside of the demo it was designed for. Older fans just dvr that shit and usually don't buy the shows merch or more importantly, any of the products that they advertise for that timeslot.

It's what eventually killed afternoon anime and eventually, all non saturday night anime on CN. Plenty of western shows have fallen to this as well including Megas and SBT.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Another thing CN hates, almost above all else really, is a show appealing outside of the demo it was designed for. Older fans just dvr that shit and usually don't buy the shows merch or more importantly, any of the products that they advertise for that timeslot.

It's what eventually killed afternoon anime and eventually, all non saturday night anime on CN. Plenty of western shows have fallen to this as well including Megas and SBT.

I'm not really seeing that with Adventure Time and Regular Show

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Is it out of the question to just make some of these shows web-exclusive?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

I'm not really seeing that with Adventure Time and Regular Show

They do have a fairly big stake in those shows so it probably helps a bit. They let Foster's alone too when that happened because it also drew in a decent audience of the type they wanted.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if Avatar:TLA provides a good contrast to the DCAU cartoons. Nickelodeon treated Avatar like shit in season 4. We had to endure months between episodes. At one point DVDs of episodes were in the store before the episodes actually aired. And I have no idea why. You'd think with how much money they put into the show they'd be more forthcoming with their scheduling.

I remember this one time when a new episode of Avatar was cancelled in favor of a Spongebob marathon. WHY?! The marathon didn't even have new episodes (I think).

• Options
    edited April 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Avatar:TLA provides a good contrast to the DCAU cartoons. Nickelodeon treated Avatar like shit in season 4. We had to endure months between episodes. At one point DVDs of episodes were in the store before the episodes actually aired. And I have no idea why. You'd think with how much money they put into the show they'd be more forthcoming with their scheduling.

I remember this one time when a new episode of Avatar was cancelled in favor of a Spongebob marathon. WHY?! The marathon didn't even have new episodes (I think).

Things were much worse with the DCAU because not only did they get treated like crap by the Cartoon Network, they got treated like crap by DC/WB. There was about a half year break in the middle of season 1 of Justice League. There was a three month break between the first two episodes of season 2 and the next episode. Then there was a half year break before the Christmas episode and the season finale of season 2. There was another three month break in the middle of season 1 of JLU and another three month break in the middle of season 2 of JLU. The decision not to renew JLU's second season for another 13 episodes was made late into production so the writers had to scrap a lot of ideas, including an arc about Superman's son.

Then there was all that embargo crap. They couldn't use any Batman, Aquaman, or Wonder Woman characters starting around the time of JLU due to the WB execs thinking that the audience was too dumb to handle multiple versions of the characters in different media. And they weren't able to do the final battle between Batman and Ra's al Ghul because of the Bat-embargo.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

I presume you mean season 3.

In any case, they did, yes, a remarkably similar feat to what CN did to YJ in season 1, after being relatively reasonable about book 1 and 2. And then they licensed it for a movie which locked out Mike and Bryan, was shit and, at least in the US, bombed, though it at least made its money back worldwide. And now they've apparently come crawling back to Mike and Bryan, saying "Fix it! Please, we love this beautiful thing you gave us, but we grew careless and broke it! We'll suck your diiiiiicks!" to judge by the way the new series is being treated by them.

If this were Cartoon Network and the movie studio was Warner Bros. but things had otherwise been carried out the same, I don't think you'd be getting CN offering more money to the creators to develop a new series to repair the damage they did to the franchise. In short, the difference is that Nick learns from its mistakes, unlike CN, which is so petty when working with stuff they don't absolutely control they will actually ruin their own chance to make more money.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Sorry to nitpick but it was Season three. Also Nick treated Avatar like shit in the merchandise department, no action figures for girl characters.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The idea that there will never even be a statuette of Toph for me to put on my desk because they don't want to make a toy of a girl is incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Sorry to nitpick but it was Season three. Also Nick treated Avatar like shit in the merchandise department, no action figures for girl characters.

Seriously? That is messed up. Avatar has a freaking lot of female characters.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The idea that there will never even be a statuette of Toph for me to put on my desk because they don't want to make a toy of a girl is incredibly frustrating.
    Great, now you've made me regret not having something I never even thought of having.
    I frikkin' love Toph.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »

Seriously? That is messed up. Avatar has a freaking lot of female characters.

I think the logic was "Cartoon for boys" -> "Boys won't buy figures of girls"

As awesome as Avatar is, it hasn't turned out as toyetic as I think Nickelodeon was hoping for.

• Options
    I'm guessing the live action movie has something to do with it.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know I have at least April O'Neil, Pumyra, Steelheart, and Ripley in my toy collection in storage, but I guess the 80s were a more enlightened time. Bleh.

That said, Avatar COULD do with some more fantastic creatures that aren't just two normal animals combined. More spirit creatures and such would be more distinct and exotic and, I think, more likely to sell.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I think this was before Book 2 was even finished, let alone the movie.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

More likely the stealth demographic had something to do with it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think the era of toyeditic cartoons is long over. The lego Ben 10 pretty much proves it and so much more of the stuff
    I really don't think kids are the main consumer of action figures anymore.

One of the problems I had with Avatar was it seemed to me Nick was trying to kill it or something with the werid random times they put it on

• Options
    The thing to remember is that all this stuff is based on executive whim. Sure, they try to make decisions based on maximizing the audience, but often times they'll make decisions based on personal whims. They love show X, they don't get show Y at all, they'd rather not show Z succeed because it was greenlit by a predecessor and would make him look good, etc.

But executives change all the time. Obviously, the Nick execs that practically buried the last book of Airbender aren't the same execs that decided to greenlight at least two seasons of Korra, with a bigger per-episode budget to boot, even after the movie disappointed.

In other words, it's hard to say "the network hates X!" with any permanence.

This discussion has been closed.