As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Grombar wrote: »
    Eurgh those Joffrey scenes. Never before have I wanted to slap the shit out of a fictional character so badly.

Who are the guys that
    captured Sansa? They working for Joffrey? I thought the Mountain was an enemy of the kingdom now, so why's he care who got the not-really-dead guy out of the city?
    To answer that in two parts:

The guys who captured Arya work for Tywin Lannister. The torturers are part of a mercenary outfit called the Brave Companions (aka the Bloody Mummers), if I remember the lore correctly.

The Mountain works for Tywin too, so when Ned declared the Mountain a public enemy, Tywin told him, "j/k, you can still work for me; just keep doing what I say."

did Ned declare the mountain an enemy in S1, I dont remember that

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I didnt even notice there was a new mountain.
    He was just a big silent dude in black last season.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Eurgh those Joffrey scenes. Never before have I wanted to slap the shit out of a fictional character so badly.

Who are the guys that
    captured Sansa? They working for Joffrey? I thought the Mountain was an enemy of the kingdom now, so why's he care who got the not-really-dead guy out of the city?

The guys who captured Arya work for Tywin Lannister. The torturers are part of a mercenary outfit called the Brave Companions (aka the Bloody Mummers), if I remember the lore correctly.

The Mountain works for Tywin too, so when Ned declared the Mountain a public enemy, Tywin told him, "j/k, you can still work for me; just keep doing what I say."

Sure did, he stood up and spouted dialogue about it and everything.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Who are the guys that

Sure did, he stood up and spouted dialogue about it and everything.

It was after he was injured in the fight with Jaime, and was handling the King's business. Some peasant told Ned about his village being wrecked by Clegaine, and decided now was a good time to declare him an enemy of the state and KoS, much to the chagrin of the rest of the small council.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Who are the guys that

He sent a Knight after him to capture him - Lord Berric Dondarrion. I think it's one of the first things we see Ned do as Hand, or one of the last (just after he duals with the Kingslayer).

It occurs in response to Catelyn capturing Tyrion.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Grombar: Those aren't the Bloody Mummers, those men are Ser Gregor's own little darlings.

• manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    Certainly the Joffrey scene was disturbing but I do think it served more than just showing that "Yes, he really is a jerk." It's pretty likely that Joff was aware of his father's general whoring. He's sending a message to Tyrion that he is not his father and can't be ordered around just because Tyrion sends him some nice gifts.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    also that he's a psychopath

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I loved Joff's crossbow, though. That thing was, like, the assault rifle of crossbows.

• quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    Everyone is justly pissed about the new Mountain -- he's got a kickass voice, though. One of the least important parts about the character, sure. But hey... silver lining?

As for the rest...
    Tyrion, never stop being awesome.
    LOVE Harrenhal -- especially in the credits sequence. Probably my favorite mini-location yet.
    Roose Bolton is perfect. As are the Thirteen. One of them, in particular. Cannot say more, yet.
    Tywin seeing through Arya's "disguise" at a glance was fantastic.
    Of COURSE Stannis is a grammar-nazi. I laughed so hard.
    Birth scene was fantastic.
    "There's no cure for being a cunt."

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Spawnbroker, Syndalis

I clearly need to rewatch S1, thanks

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stannis is pretty awesome. It's almost as if he wouldn't even really care about being king, but for the rules and it rightly being his claim.

Deebaser on
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I think someone already mentioned it, but they really should have a spinoff with Tyrion and Bronn in some sort of Westeros buddy cop show. Those two are great together.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    I think someone already mentioned it, but they really should have a spinoff with Tyrion and Bronn in some sort of Westeros buddy cop show. Those two are great together.

I would absolutely watch a show with Tyrion and Bronn wandering the countryside, bringing insightful snark to those who need it.

Best line of the last episode
    "I'd say I didn't harm a hair on his head, but that wouldn't technically be true" (paraphrase)

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I laughed because the rats reminded me of 2 Fast 2 Furious.

...but a big what the fuck to that whole episode.

KoopahTroopah on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice Harrenhall was 'dead' in the credits as in there were no moving gears or anything

• YarYar Registered User regular
    That was a threat. Notice the difference?

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Harrenhal was a damn fine set/location. It looked like the Pits of Isengard, minus orcs.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »

I would absolutely watch a show with Tyrion and Bronn wandering the countryside, bringing insightful snark to those who need it.

It's already been posted before, but it's still funny to watch the youtube buddy comedy re-imagining.

No actual spoilers, just a youtube clip I spoiled for size.

Decoy on
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    ckCUk.jpg

IcdplGM.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The Joffery scene
    I thought it worked well to show him realizing another part of himself. He started out punishing them to get back at tyrion, but found out he liked it and kept moving to the extreme. The look of pleasure on his face at the end of the scene.... Shudder.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The Joffery scene
    I thought it worked well to show him realizing another part of himself. He started out punishing them to get back at tyrion, but found out he liked it and kept moving to the extreme. The look of pleasure on his face at the end of the scene.... Shudder.

Jack Gleeson is a gifted actor.

I hope we get to see him cry in pain.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Demerdar wrote:
    When Joffrey dies (boy I sure hope he dies) I think me and my friends who are watching with me are going to throw a massive party in celebration.

Seriously. I'd dare say, if they ever have some kind of award for the most despised/hated villain in fiction Joffrey would definitely be a forerunner in the rankings, if not the one who just wins the award outright. I gotta say, I actually feel really sorry for the actor playing him. The poor kid must feel terrible after a day of shooting that role.

Don't be. He got to hang with Batman, after all.

Anyway, this whores scene reaffirmed an old theory I had:

(Not a book spoiler, but just in case)

Okay, well maybe a spoiler if you're morbidly curious if he ever has sex/rapes anyone....
    I always theorized that Joffrey was indifferent/uninterested in any sexual encounters. While some people interpret his violent action toward the whores as revenge toward Tyrion, I persist that this suggests that he can't get it up unless violence is involved.

As for the Bloody Mummers scene, there was one bit that I was really curious if it would show on TV. Turns out they skipped on it, as it was even worse than what they did show.
    In order to quiet a crying child, one of the sick fucks took his head off with a mace.

When the mother screamed in horror, they went and killed her too

Every time someone insists that this series has "no good or evil characters, just shades of gray", I look at Joffrey or one of the dozen of other characters and think:

"Uh, no...pretty sure these guys are really fucking evil."

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The "no good or evil" characters arguement is such bs. Most are shades of grey, but Joffrey is objectively evil. Jon, Tyrion, Ned, and Robb are good guys with some flaws between each of them, but they're still totally good guys.

Heisenberg on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Joffrey is a product of his circumstance. I mean, he is the product of incest, a mother who convinces him he can do anything he wants, a "father" who hates his mother and spite-fucks whores while getting drunk and fat, and a world that pretty much guarantees that honorable people with power are going to die.

He does lots of evil things, and he is horribly corrupted... but all that corruption came from the influences that surround him.

I don't know how many characters will get that level of explanation, but almost nobody comes out of the womb twirling their waxed mustache, and this world has a way of breaking people's will to do good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    You guys might want to move that conversation to the other thread considering your mentioning people and events that haven't been referenced on the show.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    The "no good or evil" characters arguement is such bs. Most are shades of grey, but Joffrey and Ramsay are objectively evil. Jon, Tyrion, Ned, and Robb are good guys with some flaws between each of them, but they're still totally good guys.

Ned is a good guy whose results are awful. That's the entire point of Ned. What does that make him?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    Joffrey is a product of his circumstance. I mean, he is the product of incest, a mother who convinces him he can do anything he wants, a "father" who hates his mother and spite-fucks whores while getting drunk and fat, and a world that pretty much guarantees that honorable people with power are going to die.

He does lots of evil things, and he is horribly corrupted... but all that corruption came from the influences that surround him.

I don't know how many characters will get that level of explanation, but almost nobody comes out of the womb twirling their waxed mustache, and this world has a way of breaking people's will to do good.

I thought it might have been the whole incest thing too, except (again, not a spoiler, but...)
    Cersei's other two kids seem perfectly normal and not psychotic.

Well, so far anyway.

Also, Joffrey's evil actions date as far back as (this IS a real BOOK spoiler)
    when he cut open a cat's belly just so he could see the kittens inside.

He got a rightful smack across the face from Robert, but that apparently had no effect (or made him worse?)

Basically, simple answer was he had shitty parents.

But I mostly blame Cersei because holy shit Cersei is a bitch.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    Are those book spoilers?

Yes, some of them are.

Specifically, the second, though it's not major.

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Something that hasn't been mentioned about this episode: Arya's kill list. Awesome. Loved the way she added on a few more names later. I feel like I might have missed a name though. What were the names she mentioned?

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Take it to the book thread then!

edited April 2012
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Something that hasn't been mentioned about this episode: Arya's kill list. Awesome. Loved the way she added on a few more names later. I feel like I might have missed a name though. What were the names she mentioned?

This is by memory, so not 100%: Cersei, Joffrey, The Mountain, Polliver (the interrogator), and I think Jaime was on the list.

EDIT: Ugh, I forgot Ser Ilyn Payne, the dude who actually chopped off Ned's head. And the Hound. I suck.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2012
    I heard ilyne Payne,Joffrey, cersei, and the hound the first time. And she added polivar and the mountain the second. Guessing polivar is either the torturer or the guard who took needle. [\spoiler]

Carpy on
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Villains, victims, and author appeal stand-ins. That's all youse guys are gettin' in dis here series. So saddles up, 'cuz dere's a long ride ahead.

romenyexecute.jpg

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

This is by memory, so not 100%: Cersei, Joffrey, The Mountain, Polliver (the interrogator), and I think Jaime was on the list.

EDIT: Ugh, I forgot Ser Ilyn Payne, the dude who actually chopped off Ned's head. And the Hound. I suck.

I didn't think the interrogator was Polliver, I thought he was the tickler.

Boring7 wrote: »
    Villains, victims, and author appeal stand-ins. That's all youse guys are gettin' in dis here series. So saddles up, 'cuz dere's a long ride ahead.

romenyexecute.jpg
    hotpie.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

I didn't think the interrogator was Polliver, I thought he was the tickler.

I don't remember hearing Polliver but I fully understand him being on the list.
    "Joffrey. Cersei. Ilyn Payne. The Hound." was the original list (repeated over).
    After the woman begs for food and gets beaten she adds "The Mountain."

IcdplGM.png
This discussion has been closed.