As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    balerbower wrote: »
    ya know that actually sounds like a very plausible theory for what's going to be a major plot point in legend of korra
    korra gets "debended" by amon and struggles with her being the avatar seemingly without any bending powers. a huge, huge bummer. cue korra exploring the spiritual side of what it means to be the avatar ending with some revelation gained from a journey to the spirit world. once she gains spiritual maturity, she regains her bending powers and more.

I still maintain that she'd just wind-up being immune. Because you know, she has the spirit of the Avatar. It's immortal. It's been passed down through eons because of its immense power and durability.

she's not immune to chi blocking
    Chi blocking and getting your bending taken away are two different things.

I'm with Twenty Sided. I think if Amon tries to take her bending the Avatar Spirit is going to show up and tell him to step the fuck off.

I'm not convinced they are different things

what Amon did looked pretty distinct from energybending

it is possible that Amon has learned an advanced sort of nerve pinching that takes bending away by blocking chi. Like how aang almost lost the Avatar state permently.
    I guess we'll find out in a few weeks as we learn more

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    ya know that actually sounds like a very plausible theory for what's going to be a major plot point in legend of korra
    korra gets "debended" by amon and struggles with her being the avatar seemingly without any bending powers. a huge, huge bummer. cue korra exploring the spiritual side of what it means to be the avatar ending with some revelation gained from a journey to the spirit world. once she gains spiritual maturity, she regains her bending powers and more.

I still maintain that she'd just wind-up being immune. Because you know, she has the spirit of the Avatar. It's immortal. It's been passed down through eons because of its immense power and durability.

she's not immune to chi blocking
    Chi blocking and getting your bending taken away are two different things.

I'm with Twenty Sided. I think if Amon tries to take her bending the Avatar Spirit is going to show up and tell him to step the fuck off.

...oh. Oh shit. That would be awesome and terrifying both. Spoiled because my speculation is always 100% right. :P
    Amon tries to debend her, she fights, it looks like he wins, her bending gets choked off...

And then her eyes glow. And that will be the first time in the show she accesses the Avatar State.

And then, once the Avatar is done going on a rampage and causes lots of property damage and probably a few innocent deaths, it goes away...and Korra can't bend by herself anymore. So she has to deal with a) going on a Koizilla-style rampage and b) not being able to bend unless she's willing to go on a rampage again.

whatever

girl doesn't need bending with pythons like those

she could just flex at her enemies

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »

I have been thinking this

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree
    There's going to be some kind of catalyst that is going to force her to acknowledge the spiritual side of being the avatar. My money is either going to be having her bending taken away, or an activation of the Avatar state similar to Aang's, like Tenzin's kids being threatened or something like that.
    she can't get debended

how will the fire ferrets get to the finals???
    and the big dance is tomorrow!
    and she's got TWO dates to it!!!!!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    wait a minute

could an Earthbender bend Dinosaur bones

could they make a t-rex skeleton fight for them

I bet they could

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm not pissed. I'm just shaking my head at what I'm seeing.

The stuff I hear people back up the points? About it not coming out of nowhere because of other things that came out of nowhere? That was not the impression I got when I watched those episodes. Those episodes made sense within the framework they were given and the story they were telling. Fuck, someone mentioned the fucking dragons as an example when the dragons were introduced as the firebending teachers in pretty much the same breath as the problem of Zuko losing his bending and what to do about it.

The entire series was building to the conflict with Aang and Ozai. Introducing energybending at the end changed that conflict in a way I do not appreciate. I would have rather had him finish the conflict as it had been foreshadowed, and I was looking forward to seeing how Aang would handle Ozai. The fact that energybending was an option changed the very nature of their conflict, so much so that I don't think he had to make a true decision about whether or not to kill Ozai.

I wanted to see his personal struggle and his success in solving that problem, like the series had been building up to. When energybending was introduced out of the blue it robbed that seminal moment of its impact for me.

That's why I don't like it. That's why I feel it was a cop out.

But he did make a decision. The decision was 'no.'

EDIT: I mean, if you think Aang sticking to his pacifist guns somehow deprived him of personal development, alright. But a pretty strong theme behind being the Avatar was always that it's not enough just to follow the examples of your ancestors, but to do things yourself and be your own person, not just what is expected of you. It's one of the strongest similarities between Aang and Zuko, and it's why Aang's confrontation with Ozai and the final Agni Kai were shown concurrently.

Javen on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    wait a minute

I bet they could

Are there dinosaurs in the Avatar world? Maybe there's just drag...

...ohshit Brontosaurus rex

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    wait a minute

I bet they could

Bones are skeletons not earth.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    so I got to thinking

why don't they have guns?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    wait a minute

I bet they could

but fossils are skeletons that have been replaced with minerals over time. They should easily have more earth in them than metal, and that can be bended.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The stuff I hear people back up the points? About it not coming out of nowhere because of other things that came out of nowhere? That was not the impression I got when I watched those episodes. Those episodes made sense within the framework they were given and the story they were telling. Fuck, someone mentioned the fucking dragons as an example when the dragons were introduced as the firebending teachers in pretty much the same breath as the problem of Zuko losing his bending and what to do about it.

The entire series was building to the conflict with Aang and Ozai. Introducing energybending at the end changed that conflict in a way I do not appreciate. I would have rather had him finish the conflict as it had been foreshadowed, and I was looking forward to seeing how Aang would handle Ozai. The fact that energybending was an option changed the very nature of their conflict, so much so that I don't think he had to make a true decision about whether or not to kill Ozai.

I wanted to see his personal struggle and his success in solving that problem, like the series had been building up to. When energybending was introduced out of the blue it robbed that seminal moment of its impact for me.

Then following the appropriate level of foreshadowing, this should horribly backfire or produce a less-than-satisfactory result.

(Example: There is no Spirit Bending. Ozai is imprisoned, but prominent factions of the Fire Nation oppose Zuko's rule, who see him as a traitorous weakling and want his head on a pike and want Ozai reinstated. They remain a persistent military threat. Fire and Earth Nations diplomacy remains sour for generations to come and negative stereotypes of Fire Nation as warmongers persist.)

Twenty Sided on
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    so I got to thinking

OFF WITH HIS HEAD

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    wait a minute

I bet they could

but fossils are skeletons that have been replaced with minerals over time. They should easily have more earth in them than metal, and that can be bended.

You got me there. Now I'm disappointed Toph didn't ride a dinosaur skeleton into battle. :evil:

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    because of how all the animals are hybrids in bendland, the dinosaurs were some eldritch fucking monstrosities

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

Then following the appropriate level of foreshadowing, this should horribly backfire or produce a less-than-satisfactory result.

(Example: There is no Spirit Bending. Ozai is imprisoned, but prominent factions of the Fire Nation oppose Zuko's rule, who see him as a traitorous weakling and want his head on a pike and want Ozai reinstated. They remain a persistent military threat. Fire and Earth Nations diplomacy remains sour for generations to come and negative stereotypes of Fire Nation as warmongers persist.)

@Pony

PNk1Ml4.png
    wait a minute

I bet they could

You got me there. Now I'm disappointed Toph didn't ride a dinosaur skeleton into battle. :evil:

Seriously, the earth nation missed out on a huge opportunity

they have the skills needed to unearth the fossils and the skills needed to make them fight

I want to see Tophrassic Park, dammit

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    so I got to thinking

korra's luggin around a couple of guns

gal is jacked

EzUAYcn.png
    so I got to thinking

they do

everybody has a gun, but then they think man what good is a gun against a bender and they don't use them

even in the original series

the swamp people had guns, tucked up under those leaves

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Also after watching this, some general thoughts on Amon and the most recent episode of Korra. (spoilers as well for that)
    The scene where Aang energy bends Ozai's power away isn't just different from what Amon does because of the form he uses, it also seems totally different in practice. Aang's energy bending is much more dramatic, and the show seems to say there is more to it than you just do it an bam bending gone. It talks about how the energy bender needs strong will and we see what appears to be a fight between Ozai's red energy and Aang blue. I think this indicates that both parties get a say in how the energy bending is performed, and you can't take someone's bending away without them giving you a fight.

Amon doesn't seem to have to do that. He just presses some points and bam, it's gone. No flashy lights, no energy combat, he just presses on them in a certain way and it's over. This could indicate Amon doesn't actually energy bend to remove their power, that he's got a more efficient way of doing it, or that what he's doing won't turn out to actually be permanent because it isn't the genuine article.

No idea which or if any, just some general thoughts.
    I'm in agreement about how permanent it is. Energy bending seemed to take way more effort, and it makes way more sense if Amon is doing some sort of major blockage that would require some sort of spirit stuff to get around. If spirit world stuff gave someone a power, spirit world stuff can fix it.

Alternatively, Tenzin did do a shifty look thing when Korra mentioned Amon taking away peoples power, so who knows?
    I don't know what, but there was definitely something Tenzin wasn't telling her.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Goatmon wrote: »
    Also after watching this, some general thoughts on Amon and the most recent episode of Korra. (spoilers as well for that)
    The scene where Aang energy bends Ozai's power away isn't just different from what Amon does because of the form he uses, it also seems totally different in practice. Aang's energy bending is much more dramatic, and the show seems to say there is more to it than you just do it an bam bending gone. It talks about how the energy bender needs strong will and we see what appears to be a fight between Ozai's red energy and Aang blue. I think this indicates that both parties get a say in how the energy bending is performed, and you can't take someone's bending away without them giving you a fight.

Amon doesn't seem to have to do that. He just presses some points and bam, it's gone. No flashy lights, no energy combat, he just presses on them in a certain way and it's over. This could indicate Amon doesn't actually energy bend to remove their power, that he's got a more efficient way of doing it, or that what he's doing won't turn out to actually be permanent because it isn't the genuine article.

I'm in agreement about how permanent it is. Energy bending seemed to take way more effort, and it makes way more sense if Amon is doing some sort of major blockage that would require some sort of spirit stuff to get around. If spirit world stuff gave someone a power, spirit world stuff can fix it.

Alternatively, Tenzin did do a shifty look thing when Korra mentioned Amon taking away peoples power, so who knows?
    I don't know what, but there was definitely something Tenzin wasn't telling her.
    He was intenzinally playing dumb.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

(Example: There is no Spirit Bending. Ozai is imprisoned, but prominent factions of the Fire Nation oppose Zuko's rule, who see him as a traitorous weakling and want his head on a pike and want Ozai reinstated. They remain a persistent military threat. Fire and Earth Nations diplomacy remains sour for generations to come and negative stereotypes of Fire Nation as warmongers persist despite the best intentions of Zuko.)

I agree with Munkus that energy bending pretty much comes out of nowhere and it very much has the feeling of deus ex machina. If they'd had more time to work with it, perhaps it would have felt different. Same goes with Azula's personality shift. They built it up decently but it's still awfully sudden and doesn't entirely sit right.

As far as your alternative to Ozai being debended, I don't see why that couldn't have happened anyway. He lost his bending, not his mind. It's still entirely possible all that stuff did happen but was unsuccessful. 70 some years is a long time.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    so I got to thinking

they do

everybody has a gun, but then they think man what good is a gun against a bender and they don't use them

even in the original series

the swamp people had guns, tucked up under those leaves

oh!! so this is like

what

a deus ex machina right?

p. lame how that just sort of happened

sthbuf0g7b7y.png

one time two people were fighting and in the heat of the moment one guy finally pulls his gun and everything stops

his opponent just gives him a wtf stare until his face turns red and he reholsters it

then they resume kung-fu

• PonyPony Registered User regular

@Pony

don't you fucking drag me into this horseshit

i already said my piece on this

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    I know people hate the kinect (for perfectly valid reasons) but an Avatar bending game would p neat.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

(Example: There is no Spirit Bending. Ozai is imprisoned, but prominent factions of the Fire Nation oppose Zuko's rule, who see him as a traitorous weakling and want his head on a pike and want Ozai reinstated. They remain a persistent military threat. Fire and Earth Nations diplomacy remains sour for generations to come and negative stereotypes of Fire Nation as warmongers persist despite the best intentions of Zuko.)

I agree with Munkus that energy bending pretty much comes out of nowhere and it very much has the feeling of deus ex machina. If they'd had more time to work with it, perhaps it would have felt different. Same goes with Azula's personality shift. They built it up decently but it's still awfully sudden and doesn't entirely sit right.

As far as your alternative to Ozai being debended, I don't see why that couldn't have happened anyway. He lost his bending, not his mind. It's still entirely possible all that stuff did happen but was unsuccessful. 70 some years is a long time.

Eh, it's just the best example I could think of.

I honestly think that Ozai is a less of a political threat without his powers because Firebending is analogous to martial prowess in the Fire Nation and is basically a leadership qualification. I explain my opinion in some earlier post.

Somebody else also pointed out that a lot of his power also may have come from sheer personal intimidation. Agni-Kai is a well established method of violently resolving personal disputes.

It also says a lot about your society when killing dragons with Firebending was a way to win acclaim for yourself.

With fewer legitimate contenders, you get a situation where people are more likely to think that Zuko is the "winning side," similar to how Mei's uncle saw the writing on the wall. If Ozai has his powers, then on-average, that calculus will wind-up more in his favor than in Zuko's. He is a proven leader and his ambitions are likely to be shared by a large portion of the ruling elite. Even a shmuck that's just trying to keep his head down is going to side with Ozai.

Twenty Sided on
    Just realized something about Ozai.
    What if he secretly wrote down how Aang took his bending away? He was there for it. Shit, he nearly overtook Aang in the process. Who better to document how it was done, so that it could be used maliciously?

He was intenzinally playing dumb.

ugh

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    this thread is out of balance

we need the postvatar to come and restore balance

i will summon him

@larlar

Pony on
    NO ONE SUMMONS THE POSVATAR

I really dont think Ozai will be part of any of this. Korra's story is her own thing.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I know people hate the kinect (for perfectly valid reasons) but an Avatar bending game would p neat.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but a golden sun style game would be perfect.

except give it chrono trigger's combat system

i would buy that in a heartbeat

the postvatar is coming!

Someone clean the statue of Postvatar Tube!

edited April 2012
    I really dont think Ozai will be part of any of this. Korra's story is her own thing.

That would be fine, too. And I expect that will be the case.

I'm just saying it would fit if
    Amon learned how to do what he does by studying info documented by someone we know it was previously used on. Someone with the means and certainly the motive to want to undo everything Aang and Zuko have accomplished.

Goatmon on

edited April 2012
    I am fine with that being the case.

I'm just saying it would make perfect sense if
    Amon learned how to do what he does by studying info documented by someone we know it was previously used on. Someone with the means and certainly the motive to want to undo everything Aang and Zuko have accomplished.
    You mean like a son who had no bending powers and who was received the least attention by his parents.

ThreadbareSock on
    I am fine with that being the case.

I'm just saying it would make perfect sense if
    You mean like a son who had no bending powers and who was received the least attention by his parents.

oh my god

it's.... sokka

you're blowing my mind

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Amon is Foaming Mouth Guy

b1ehrMM.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Amon is Zuko's mom

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    so everyone's all wondering if
    amon got powers from koh

but what if amon is koh

I'm not even sure if that makes sense

• TamTam Registered User regular
    Amon is Korra

Amon is Aang

's twin brother, who also inherited avatar powers and was frozen in an iceberg for 200 years

This discussion has been closed.