As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think someone needs to call Chris Hanson.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I did like half a page ago

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Okay, if they kiss, who breaks whose neck falling off a bridge

huntresssig.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ultimates #9 Preview

Last Ribic / Hickman Solo issue :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    1335193001.jpg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    That is seriously a good looking cover.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah it is

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Do we know yet if Peter is going to Miles' universe or if Miles is going to Peter's?

I wonder if this is how Miles is going to get webshooters.

Do we know yet if Peter is going to Miles' universe or if Miles is going to Peter's?
    Peter is going to Miles'

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see what will happen if and when Peter learns how different things have gone in the UM-verse, like where mutants came from and the Ultimatum event.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I doubt they'll go that far. Probably keep it contained to current stuff and Spidey only related things.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Nothing meaningful is allowed to happen in these types of crossovers, so that's a safe bet.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Nothing meaningful is allowed to happen in these types of crossovers, so that's a safe bet.

I'd like to point out that nothing major is allowed to happen to 616 Marvel. Ultimate Universe, however, tends to have actual consequences for these events. The Ultimate Power removed Nick Fury from a position of power for years. Ultimatum changed how Spider-Man was viewed by the public, killed multiple X-men (including Cyclops and Wolverine) and changed Mutant status. Ultimate Enemy/Mystery/Doom completely changed the Fantastic Four. So forth, so on, and etc.

So, while nothing meaningful will happen to 616 Peter, there very well could be far reaching consequences for Miles and the remains of Ultimate Peter's cast.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I find your post ironic. Here's why:

Nick Fury - Also removed from power in 616. Has been on the run for years, causing the creation of one of the best Marvel books in forever (Secret Warriors).
    Spider-Man - Peter Parker revealed himself to the public, changing perceptions of him. This was since reversed but things like Spider Island and Ends of the Earth have dramatically changed his public perception. See also, Spidey in Avengers and FF.
    X-Men - Multiple characters have died and pushed the books into areas they've never tread before. Re: Jean Grey, Night Crawler, etc. Books like X-Factor and X-Force continue to push the status quo. See also, Decimation which changed both mutants and general and the entire Marvel U.
    Fantastic Four - Johnny Storm dies, the Future Foundation is formed. The FF become something they have never been before.

Soooooo...

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, people complaining about NOTHING EVER CHANGES with the Marvel U are kinda dumb

Are there going to be as bugfuck crazy changes as the ones in the Ultimate Universe? Hell no. But the characters still evolve and adapt while remaining pretty iconic.

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, people complaining about NOTHING EVER CHANGES with the Marvel U are kinda dumb

Are there going to be as bugfuck crazy changes as the ones in the Ultimate Universe? Hell no. But the characters still evolve and adapt while remaining pretty iconic.

Actually, the big beef shouldn't be that nothing ever changes, it's that usually it changes right back the way it was. How many times has Magneto flip-floppped sides? How many dead people have come back to life? Hell, sorry for beating a dead Horse, but look at One More Day.

Changes like these have a lot easier time sticking in the Ultimate Universe. Magneto/Xavier et. al. are probably not coming back. Mutants probably won't be rediscovered as natural phenomena, and Miles Moralis is probably going to be Spider-Man for a long while.

Man, Ultimates #9. Shit got real.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    The issue for me isn't that things don't change in the Marvel U. It's that the marketing department loves to use the "THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN" and "GET READY FOR THE BIGGEST CHANGE IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE" to describe every event and major story arc.

Well it's going to be pretty hard to change what just happened...

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    They destroyed the Eastern seaboard last time. I'm sure they'll manage.

Zyrxil wrote: »
    They destroyed the Eastern seaboard last time. I'm sure they'll manage.
    They didn't change that back though

it still happened

when USM picked up after Ultimatum Peter was dealing with the fact that half of NYC was still being rebuilt 6 months later

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Some reconstruction is barely a hand wave compared to the supposed damage. You don't see NYC with Katrina-like conditions, or people fleeing the most concentrated center of super-shenanigans, or the effects of 1/3 of the US population having their homes and cities wrecked up and down the coast. At the end of the day, those are not stories that they are interested in telling, so <big thing> happens, but it doesn't have any consequences outside of the X-Men.

Zyrxil on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Their school was overcrowded. That was something.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Seriously, Ultimates #9 was probably the best comic I've read this year. Though hopefully with a less "high profile" artist coming on, we'll get at least 20 pages (7-9 were all 19 pages). Not that Luke Ross is necessarily bad (unlettered preview of issue 10, but Ribic was an Art beast. Really sad to see Hickman go too, hopefully Humphries can come close to what Hickman has done so far, though excited about getting it bi weekly in May (2 issues).

Also, another variant cover for Spider-Men #1
    SpiderMen_1_CoverVariant_Ramos.jpg

and a Dedato jr variant for #4

detail.jpg

UltimateInferno on

So excited for Spider-Men

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Is the Ultimates series any good post-Ultimatum? I'm considering jumping back on, but I don't know how I feel about Mark Millar. On one hand, I loved his stuff pre-Ultimatum. On the other hand, he's gone off the rails for me, and his stint with child snuff in Kick-Ass 2 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Is his post-Ultimatum stuff as good as his pre-Ultimatum stuff?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited April 2012
    No not at all

the only one that is half-good is Avengers vs. Ultimates

everything by Hickman is fantastic though

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    Eh Ultimate Avengers 1 was pretty fun.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I meant to post this over here, but it's in the MOTW thread, too.

Ribic's art in The Ultimates is good, but his wide-eyed, mouth agape expression is terrible and way over used. If it didn't look the same on everyone, maybe it would be so off-putting, but it mars what would otherwise be a great book.

Everything I read about Spider-Men gets me even more excited.
    Peter Parker is about to meet Miles Morales for the first time — and it'll be a common enemy who brings them together.

Mysterio is the core villain of Spider-Men, the upcoming miniseries bringing together Peter Parker and Miles Morales for the first time.
    Sponsored LinksMysterio, the nefarious magic man who has been a Spider-Man villain since the hero's earliest days, is the guy who finds a rift between the regular Marvel Universe and the alternate-reality Ultimate Universe, a plot device that is central to the upcoming Spider-Men.

Beginning in June, the five-issue Marvel Comics miniseries by the Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man creative team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Sara Pichelli will feature the first meeting of Peter, Stan Lee's original-recipe web-slinger from The Amazing Spider-Man, and Miles, Bendis' half-black, half-Hispanic teenage hero.

Bendis says fans who have been following Ultimate comics religiously will enjoy the Mysterio reveal. The villain has been making trouble in that universe for a while, traveling incognito to and from the regular universe.

"Mysterio is up there with the most dangerous criminals that Spider-Man has come up against," Bendis says. "When I was a kid, I found some of his stories to be terrifying. It just got so personal. When he does his thing right, he delves in and gets deep into a psyche that doesn't deserve that kind of punishment."

The illusionist's helmet, which does resemble a fishbowl, only adds to the cool factor.

"He bought a gross of fishbowls at one point and is just sticking to them," Bendis quips. "Most villains, all you have to do is step out of their eye line and they can't see you. But he can turn his head and can see you from all directions."

The heart of Spider-Man, though, isn't Mysterio's evil plan — it's the meeting of Peter and Miles.

Peter arrives in a world where its Peter Parker died in the line of duty being Spider-Man, inspiring Miles to become a hero, and Peter will encounter all the people who were important to the alternate version of him, such as Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson.

"Now we're in Christmas Carol territory. If done right, this is an emotional and powerful Spider-Man story that we haven't seen before," says Bendis, who was admittedly a little misty-eyed after completing a recent Spider-Men issue.

"The real meat of the story is (Peter) meeting Aunt May and Gwen and MJ and discovering this world and what it means to him. You can't walk away from an interaction like that without being changed, and Miles being witness to it all is the best lesson he can learn."
    It has made for some great character moments, Bendis says. Peter and Miles will be teaming with the Ultimates (the Avengers of the Ultimate Universe) and Nick Fury, the African-American S.H.I.E.L.D. guy whom Peter knows as an aging white secret agent. Peter has the chance to be reintroduced to Gwen, who in the Marvel Universe died years ago during a battle between Peter and the Green Goblin. And Miles experiences sacrifice, responsibility and all of the things that entail being Spidey firsthand.

"I spent a great deal of time on one particular scene that rides the roller coaster of emotions, and everyone asks all the questions you'd imagine they'd want to ask," the writer says. "It was insanely fun and insanely emotional to write."

Comic fans have taken to message boards to talk about Peter and Miles meeting and the bridging of the two universes, but at least in-house at Marvel, Mysterio was the most controversial element in creating Spider-Men, according to Bendis.

It made sense to him, though, because a major crossover like this needs a perfect villain to cause chaos — i.e., the Joker in Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk in 1981, or Darkseid in The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans in 1982.

"I wanted something that reminded me of that but not be a ripoff," says Bendis, adding that the potential of other characters going through the rift, from either side, is "a big part of the story."

While stories of alternate universes may remind people of things like the TV show Fringe, Bendis admits the movie Pleasantville actually served as more of an inspiration for Spider-Men than anything sci-fi.

"It doesn't have to build and build and build to some sort of crisis like comics usually do," he explains. "It can just be this story hook that allows you this enhanced drama you wouldn't normally get that just leaves the characters defenseless to anything but their emotions. That is very appealing to me — as a reader, too."

That part that really intrigues me is this line
    Bendis says fans who have been following Ultimate comics religiously will enjoy the Mysterio reveal. The villain has been making trouble in that universe for a while, traveling incognito to and from the regular universe.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Well that would explain who Ultimate Mysterio is.

Who's your guess?

It'd be funny if Ultimate Mysterio turned out to be Mephisto. Just can't stop fucking with Peter Parker.

I think what he's saying is the 616 Mysterio is the one who's been traveling

edited April 2012
    The traveling incognito part threw me. I thought it meant he was using the Mysterio persona as a diguise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I guess this 3 way crossover this year in the Ultimates univserse will be about the ramifications about what's currently going on in Hickman's Ultimates book?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I also wonder if that was always the plan or something Bendis decided recently.