Welcome to the Industry Thread: your place to post about the business side of the hobby. Behavior in past threads has been dipping below acceptable levels, so we're going to review what this thread is all about. Failure to abide by these rules can result in an infraction, and continued poor behavior in this thread as a whole could result in loss of this thread
So please take the time to read this OP. Failure to read this OP does not absolve you of the responsibility to behave yourself.
1. This is about the industry: if your post has something to with the business of making video games, then you are probably on the right track. Sales numbers, hiring or firing of employees, opening or closing of development teams, and so forth are good topics. Minute details on the quality of games, what Reggie had for breakfast, Sony's TV sales, and so forth tend to be outside the scope of this thread.
2. This is not a chat thread.
It's not a place to shoot the breeze and casually talk about video games as a whole. While you don't have to be super serious to post here, there is going to be substantially less tolerance of content-less posts that are comprised of an image macro or YouTube video.
3. Discussion on why
a game/company failed or succeeded will come up. It's fine to kick around gameplay or other factors as reasons to why. Getting into a multiple page discussion on why nerfing wizards caused this MMO to lose 100,000 subscribers is when you have crossed a line into inane chatter. If you are unsure where that line is, then I recommend not making that particular post.
4. This is not a place to proselytize nor antagonize. "Console war" crap will not be tolerated, nor will needlessly crapping/cheering on a particular game/company/etc. Pondering about why Capcom hates Megaman is not really relevant to the industry.
5. You are not the arbiter of what is discussed here. Farmville is a game. Kinect games are just that: games. If you don't like that a large number of recent posts are discussing something you are sick of hearing about, then bring up other industry topics or take some time off from this thread. Do not complain that people aren't talking about what you want to talk about. If you feel that the discussion is detrimental to the thread (whining about Mass Effect 3 for the billionth time), then feel free to use your report button.
6. While an economics degree is not required to post in here, one not versed in the subject would do well to read and think carefully before posting. Sales do not necessarily reflect on the game's quality! A game can sell a lot but still be a failure if was expensive to produce! Before immediately posting something, think critically a bit and remember that business is a different beast that tends to be very much detached from the hobby itself.
Bottom line: business is for adults, and thus you should post in here like an adult. If you want to casually chat about video games, then we have a whole forum
for you to do that in. This thread is not the place for that. Nor is it the place for petty bickering amongst yourselves (we, in fact, have no place on these forums for you to do that).
Having said all that, enjoy the thread.
EDIT: VGChartz is mostly horseshit and should not be taken seriously.
Why? Read about it here.