As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    It's not that great. And I was just saying we have dlc with multiple weapons for two classes now and we have a starting class that has one primary weapon still. It' juss ain't right.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Yet the poor brute still just has the spinfuser. :(

It's fine, I'm sure the Brute will get the next bundle of items.

Inf had bad uninspiring weapons and surprisingly (sarcasm!) got the first set of weapons that are ridiculous and not very fun to play against. Now Raider, probably Brutes and Sentinels next as they're boring and underplayed. It's like on-disc DLC. Especially for those of us who pre-ordered months and months ago for "vip" access and an awesome "bundle" which it turns out wasn't anything special and actually lacked the bonus gold they now sell with all bundles, as well as the boost that was a waste because the exp system was so amazingly fucked and the class "tree" system was idiotic.

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    Played CTF for the first time last night and enjoyed it much more than TDM. I got three gotta go fasts on Kata. It's way too easy to do as BE on that map.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    About how long does it take to unlock Arena mode? I'm thinking I would really enjoy that but i'm only level five right now.

I wish there was some numerical indication of how my level progression.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    sliver911 wrote: »
    The plasma gun is a good step in the right direction. We should be relying on projectile based weapons with a high rate of fire and lower DPS for long ranged combat.

Instead we keep having to fall back on Autos

However, as much as I will bitch and complain I don't think HiRez is going to go this direction with the game.

So, when the private servers are released I hope we can come together and get a server going! Cause like the gent above claimed " I wont mind losing to you guys"!

Cheeers

There are private servers.

They uh, leave much to be desired. At least in my limited experience with them. Definitely agree with your direction statement though. Definitely not psyched to see another machine gun. Whoop de doo, it's the BR from Halo. That's just what Tribes needed.

Glad to see people recognizing the ludicrousness of the jackal though. That thing is nuts. Plasma gun looks fairly balanced though. Small splash area, decent but not super high damage, good rate of fire. That's a good step in the right direction.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It is the goal of the sales team to make any new content look desirable to you buy it. Making it look OP is a good way to do it.

Not going to say it is or isn't going to be OP (obviously too early to tell but) trying to figure out balance from a promotional trailer rarely is fruitful.

Edit: F2P doesn't need constant power creep to be successful, look at LoL.

Hahahaha. Oh, wait... are you serious?

Release day Vayne, Graves, Vlad, Lee Sin, Xin Xaio, Scarnar, Rumble, etc etc etc would like a word with you, right after they take a dump on your chest.

LoL is not a good example for your statement, but it is a good example of what I expect to see in Tribes Ascend if things keep going the way they have with the Infiltrator pack. An ever ridiculous arms race, which is fine if you have owned the game long enough to have the exp to buy the items out... but a very very expensive prospect to someone who decides they may want to try it 9 months from now.

Edit:

This is especially true if they stay with the current pricing model. While the EXP cost may be okay (I don't think it is, but let's say it's reasonable... which it isn't) the gold cost is pants on head retarded.

They can make the skins as expensive as they like, it's costmetic, but the weapons can cost almost 10$ a piece. In many cases the decent weapons are always locked to start, why the fuck is the spinfuser not unlocked on the soldier by default? thrust pack? they're giving you classes that have been neutered and then selling you the balls back individually at a premium.

I miss the roll eyes .gif

Yes, sometimes they miss the mark on balancing a champion correctly when they are released, then they get patched to the appropriate level. They also have champions that when they are released are awful (like release Yorick). The fact that sometimes they get the balance off at release doesn't make it pay 2 win. One of the best AD carries in LoL is Tristana, who is free.

The infiltrator pack does not remotely represent an arms race, the items are sidegrades pretty much.

Having the thrust pack behind exp is definitely a bummer, but the idea that they are giving you the neutered soldier is laughable considering that AR/Thumper is generally considered to be the more powerful soldier build, and it is the one you start with.

• Options
    It's not that great. And I was just saying we have dlc with multiple weapons for two classes now and we have a starting class that has one primary weapon still. It' juss ain't right.

Aren't the starting classes Pathfinder, Soldier and Jugg? Those all have two primary weapons, don't they?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Aren't the starting classes Pathfinder, Soldier and Jugg? Those all have two primary weapons, don't they?

Yep. And at least in the case of the soldier (as mentioned above) the primary weapons are the better ones. I'd argue that's true of the PTH as well.

Edit: it's really true of all of them. Sidegrades, again as said before.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    If your opinion is that the infiltrator items are sidegrades, then I don't know what to say? Maybe you're playing some other game in another dimension.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I like seeing the Plasma Gun in there but the original sounded awesome. This one sounds weak in comparison. For reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDI8BzYWAM

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    If your opinion is that the infiltrator items are sidegrades, then I don't know what to say? Maybe you're playing some other game in another dimension.

The silenced pistol does more damage over 2 seconds and has the highest INF dps when you include reload, so....

• Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man, stuck at work for another 5.5 hours and all I want to do is go fast. I never played either of the first games in the franchise, but goddamn this one has gotten its hooks into me.

So is there any sort of organized time or place where PA people can wail on pubs and less good PA people (like me)?

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

The silenced pistol does more damage over 2 seconds and has the highest INF dps when you include reload, so....

Wha? The jackal's problem is that it is far easier to hit someone with than pretty much anything else. It also does ludicrous damage. Dueling someone with a fusor or thumper? They have to aim fairly accurately at where you're going to land and time it correctly. With the jackal, you aim in the general vicinity of where they're going to land and detonate the rounds when they get there. You can kill people much quicker with that than with a spinfusor. That's what I'm seeing anyway.

• Options
    If someone is putting jackal rounds where they think you are going to land and waiting for you to land there, why not just land somewhere else or, if you are unable to do that, just blow up the jackal rounds with a shot of your own?

Mad Jazz: As far as I know we don't have any organized PA play time set up but, it's not a bad idea at all.

• Options
    If someone is putting jackal rounds where they think you are going to land and waiting for you to land there, why not just land somewhere else or, if you are unable to do that, just blow up the jackal rounds with a shot of your own?

Mad Jazz: As far as I know we don't have any organized PA play time set up but, it's not a bad idea at all.

Yes, reload your spinfuser twice in the air and shoot the jackal rounds before you land there, nub!

That DPS is even a thing that people reference in a first person shooter makes me cry on the inside. I am simply out of touch with what people apparently desire in a game these days.

It's just a shame that if the next great Q3A style game were released tomorrow, people would complain about being unable to buy skins, maps and weapons, and that there should be a way to buy a booster to make strafe jumping easier.

• Options

So if I'm fighting someone with a jackal, I should stop firing at them, and instead concentrate on blowing up their rounds, potentially hurting myself and ceasing all attempts at damage to the other player? Even if that were a valid idea, that still means the jackal is ridiculous.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

So if I'm fighting someone with a jackal, I should stop firing at them, and instead concentrate on blowing up their rounds, potentially hurting myself and ceasing all attempts at damage to the other player? Even if that were a valid idea, that still means the jackal is ridiculous.

I don't see how that is any different from dodging a mortar round shot at where you are going to land, or getting into a spinfusor duel with someone that only shoots at you when you are about to land. Either way, you have to change where you land, or the timing of when you land. At least the jackal gives you the option to shoot the grenades.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I don't see how that is any different from dodging a mortar round shot at where you are going to land, or getting into a spinfusor duel with someone that only shoots at you when you are about to land. Either way, you have to change where you land, or the timing of when you land. At least the jackal gives you the option to shoot the grenades.

It's different because the jackal has a larger spread and shots you can detonate on command. Meaning they just have to wait till you hit, in a much larger area, while a spinfusor or mortar user has to time your landing perfectly while getting a more accurate shot. In a duel, shooting the grenades is not a valid option. Narrowly dodging a spinfusor shot is possible. Narrowly dodging a good jackal spread is much more difficult. Plus, can't a full jackal shot kill a medium in one blast? A spinfusor can't do that.

• Options
    ...What the hell HiRez?
    All players may create their own custom servers under PLAY NOW | CUSTOM SERVERS | MANAGE SERVERS on the main menu.
    In order to activate a custom server, you must ADD RENTAL TIME using gold. You can add additional time in 10-Day, 30-Day and 90-Day buckets.
    All Custom Servers are assigned to a specific server region. You may change the assigned region at any time through the Custom Server configuration menus. The Custom Servers use the same pooled/virtual server infrastructure that is used for Quick Matches. So when a match is spun up on your Custom Server, it is done so from the shared pool of server resources available in the specific server region you chose upon server setup.
    As the owner of a custom server, you may always administer your server. You may also set an ADMIN PASSWORD that other users can use to gain access to some (but not all) administrative features of your custom server.
    XP and Badge Rewards
    Players earn their normal Base XP on non-password protected servers.
    Bonus XP is only awarded on Custom Servers when at least 6 players have been on the server at some point during a match.
    No XP is awarded on custom servers that require a password.
    Badges, Statistics and First Win of the Day are disabled on Custom Servers (so you do not earn progress toward badges while playing on Custom Servers).

So, you can only make a private server using their server infrastructure, and that costs money. That's lame, but I can understand it. Not sure how much the servers cost though. But if you want to get badges and XP with your friends on a private server too bad! But private servers are the only ones that have naked spawn, and other custom options I might want to play? That's pretty lame.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's almost like allowing people to set up farm maps for their buddies would abuse the EXP system or something.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, it's almost like allowing people to set up farm maps for their buddies would abuse the EXP system or something.
    How exactly could you even do that on a private server? Is there something you could do there that you couldn't do On a regular server? BF3 lets people earn xp and unlocks on private servers. Other games allow similar arrangements. I don't see why this one has to limit people who pay money for their private server.

• Options
    Can't farm? Badges I guess, but exp is based off first win and time played. Score means nothing.

• Options
    Must be playing a different game then, because there's a world of difference between the EXP I get from a good winning game and from one where my team carried me.

• Options
    Must be playing a different game then, because there's a world of difference between the EXP I get from a good winning game and from one where my team carried me.

Must be because there have been many pages in this thread of people expressing confusion at how the xp system works. Are you sure the games with worlds of difference are equal time played?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    probably because letting people set up farmservers would alleviate one of the big incentives to, you know, give the company money

ed: also, did the servers just go down? I got dropped from a game and can't reconnect

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Must be because there have been many pages in this thread of people expressing confusion at how the xp system works. Are you sure the games with worlds of difference are equal time played?
    Time is a factor, but again, I've had long-ass winning games where I got fuck-all for the effort, too. Plus, what difference does it make? If the EXP was more transparent and people felt it worked, would you be fine with locked private servers having no EXP? If not then this issue is irrelevant.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it definitely seems to me like I get more exp from my more successful games, but I guess it's hard to really say

I thought at first that it gave you bonuses for getting accolades but that doesn't really seem like the case

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    According to the tribes ascend wiki it is done through this formula:

The following is rough estimates determined by community testing, data only taken from CTF matches played from start to finish.

Base XP = (Time played in seconds) * 0.5833

Bonus XP = (win or loss[1/0]) * (Base XP * 0.25) + (Base XP * 0.25) / (scoreboard rank)

VIP = (Base XP + Bonus XP) * 0.5

Boost = (Base XP + Bonus XP) * 1.5

This is excluding first win of the day bonus.

Edit:

This means that everything is based on the base xp
    -Base xp is dependent on your time played.
    -Performance is based on the ranking in your team. The bonus you get is 25% of the base xp divided by your ranking on your team.
    -If you win you get an bonus xp which is 25% of the base xp.

So performance does give you extra xp just not as much as I thought it would.

johnwing on
  • Options
    no going fast for me tonight, I guess :(

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    All this talk about the jackal. Whenever I tried it, I hated it. Couldn't hit shit. Now, the SMG I can light people up all day, midair, on the ground, even when they fart. :P

Guess the default SMG is OP in my opinion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Installed this game two days ago. Conclusion: Pretty darn good! But honestly, if you ask me, its not as good as Section 8: Prejudice. It's got the skiing mechaning which Section 8 doesn't, a better unlock system and maybe a gamemode or two more, but that's it. Coincidentally, they both share a huge glaring problem: Rocket sniping. The utility of all vehicles and turrets is heavily undermined by the fact that they can get sniped from half across the map, while they have a way, way smaller attack range, especially deployed turrets. I really don't get why both Timegate and HighRez haven't implemented one of many possible solutions to this: Mortars/Rocket Launchers requiring a lock on which has a small range, projectile drop off (with variation) that makes sniping impossible...Also, vehicles don't have enough health. There's not really a purpose in buying a tank when you can get taken out easily by a single Juggernaut. Shrikers are better, but finding a place to repair them is a bitch.

Overall, I feel that despite these problems I'm looking at a surprisingly high quality product here: Solid shooting mechanics, classes that offer highly variable playstyles, good graphics, stable servers, unlock system that keeps you going at exactly the right pace, entertaining gamemodes. If you thing the same way, I highly endorse you to try out Section 8: Prejudice. It's similar, but has more than enough differences to offer a unique experience.

Edit: Uhmmm...Never mind. Went to play S8: P after a long time again, and found out that the servers are pretty much empty, at least at this time.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »
    No wonder winning and losing make such a huge change, you need to be MVP just to match the bonus you get from winning.

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    No wonder winning and losing make such a huge change, you need to be MVP just to match the bonus you get from winning.

At least it will push people trying to win instead of lone wolfing it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think the plasma gun is going to need to be toned down quite a bit.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Are we interested in renting a custom server despite the no badges stuff? I was thinking of setting one up, but I'd like to know if it'd actually be used or not.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Installed this game two days ago. Conclusion: Pretty darn good! But honestly, if you ask me, its not as good as Section 8: Prejudice. It's got the skiing mechaning which Section 8 doesn't, a better unlock system and maybe a gamemode or two more, but that's it. Coincidentally, they both share a huge glaring problem: Rocket sniping. The utility of all vehicles and turrets is heavily undermined by the fact that they can get sniped from half across the map, while they have a way, way smaller attack range, especially deployed turrets. I really don't get why both Timegate and HighRez haven't implemented one of many possible solutions to this: Mortars/Rocket Launchers requiring a lock on which has a small range, projectile drop off (with variation) that makes sniping impossible...Also, vehicles don't have enough health. There's not really a purpose in buying a tank when you can get taken out easily by a single Juggernaut. Shrikers are better, but finding a place to repair them is a bitch.

Overall, I feel that despite these problems I'm looking at a surprisingly high quality product here: Solid shooting mechanics, classes that offer highly variable playstyles, good graphics, stable servers, unlock system that keeps you going at exactly the right pace, entertaining gamemodes. If you thing the same way, I highly endorse you to try out Section 8: Prejudice. It's similar, but has more than enough differences to offer a unique experience.

Edit: Uhmmm...Never mind. Went to play S8: P after a long time again, and found out that the servers are pretty much empty, at least at this time.

If your tank/shrike/cycle are getting hit by mortars from long range you are probably sitting still which seems silly. I mean, yea, mortars do a ton of damage, but the slightest change in direction at long range will make sure they're not hitting you. Mortars are the least of vehicles' problems, and rockets I believe do have a lock-on requirement, but I've never used one before. Deployable turrets are terrible outdoors, but they're nice indoors particularly when you're there with them. If you're shooting at the enemy, they often don't notice that damage ticking down.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I think the plasma gun is going to need to be toned down quite a bit.

Yeah, I went 44/3 on Raindance with the plasma gun, 39 air mails... I like the gun, I don't know what you'd do to tone it down properly while still making it feel cool. Maybe 5 round clip instead of 10, up the damage versus armor and reduce the impact splash (while keeping the hitbox for the projectile rather large). I really can't say it's that much better than a spinfuser or bolt gun in a duel, but the fact it has a 10 round clip keeps you on the offensive pushing them around and down towards the ground.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If your tank/shrike/cycle are getting hit by mortars from long range you are probably sitting still which seems silly. I mean, yea, mortars do a ton of damage, but the slightest change in direction at long range will make sure they're not hitting you. Mortars are the least of vehicles' problems, and rockets I believe do have a lock-on requirement, but I've never used one before. Deployable turrets are terrible outdoors, but they're nice indoors particularly when you're there with them. If you're shooting at the enemy, they often don't notice that damage ticking down.

About deployable turrets: 90% of most maps is outdoors, so...yeah, that's kinda the problem. And even indorrs while they are effective, every player whose played this game at least once before knows to check for turrets, and if you've seen them, you're 90% towards destroying them because of their low health.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Anyone currently playing?
    Shadowfire wrote: »

About deployable turrets: 90% of most maps is outdoors, so...yeah, that's kinda the problem. And even indorrs while they are effective, every player whose played this game at least once before knows to check for turrets, and if you've seen them, you're 90% towards destroying them because of their low health.

The big problem is that you get a huge arrow pointing at every turret while you're at 20x-30x the turrets range. Spinfuser discs detonate after travelling for 6 seconds, so you can always plink deployed turrets from range. Fortunately many maps have little spots where you can easily tuck it behind a hill so if they want to hit it they have to expose themselves at close range, or behind rocks...

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    At least it will push people trying to win instead of lone wolfing it.
    In that case they should be giving class-specific bonuses for doing what you're supposed to be doing, rather than generic bonuses that reward little beyond deathmatching, capping and generator assault.