As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Eww, triple post. Let's see, 1-2... You should save him for last; at least out of all the second stage bosses. By then you should have a good weapon you can use against him. He's really easy, though. Just aim for his heels, and when he falls over, hit his head. I'd do Flame Lurker first, so you can make boss weapons and such.

You said you wanted a better bow, yes? Kill Flame Lurker, then make the Lava Bow.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Did you know Biorr says something different if you free him before killing the Official guarding him?

Neither did I. Game's full of surprises.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Did you know Biorr says something different if you free him before killing the Official guarding him?

Huh. Yeah, there is some interesting stuff depending on the order of things you do. The NPC events are way more... alive... in Demon's Souls.

The part in 1-3 where Ostrava begs you to open the gate to save him from the 3 soldiers who were in the process of chasing and attacking him was fucking brilliant.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Demons souls or "how a sticky compound bow destroys worlds"

I loved that bow. Pew pew.

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My +10 bow was doing more damage to Allant than anything else just now(NG++).

That's why my Dex build is my world crusher.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular

He even helps you kill the official if you wait for him to walk nearby.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Eww, triple post. Let's see, 1-2... You should save him for last; at least out of all the second stage bosses. By then you should have a good weapon you can use against him. He's really easy, though. Just aim for his heels, and when he falls over, hit his head. I'd do Flame Lurker first, so you can make boss weapons and such.

You said you wanted a better bow, yes? Kill Flame Lurker, then make the Lava Bow.

The compound bow takes off about a twentieth of his health, which isn't bad tbh. And he's not difficult to hit once you've taken care of the archers. I tried to dodge his attacks from close and use the sword but that was a disaster.

Big Isy wrote: »

The compound bow takes off about a twentieth of his health, which isn't bad tbh. And he's not difficult to hit once you've taken care of the archers. I tried to dodge his attacks from close and use the sword but that was a disaster.

Are you rolling? The key is to hit him after he does that pound move (while keeping a moderate distance). If you are fancying the bow as you said, just aim for his head. But seriously, 1/20th sounds pretty bad. I'd get a better bow if I were you.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Lork wrote: »

He even helps you kill the official if you wait for him to walk nearby.

Yep, saw that too. Biorr's very verbose with his insults.

wVEsyIc.png
    Thats the best I could find tbh. I've only upgraded it the once as well. Tbh I don't mind it taking a while so long as its safe. And I can safely take potshots from the fort walls without getting hit. After I've taken the archers out of course.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is there some trick to using the magic weapon spell that I am missing? I have plenty of skill to use it, but I still cant fire it off.
    Edit: Doh. You use it ON a sword, it doesn't make one.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Oh! So that's why you told me to hit the tower knights ankles!

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is there some trick to using the magic weapon spell that I am missing? I have plenty of skill to use it, but I still cant fire it off.
    Edit: Doh. You use it ON a sword, it doesn't make one.

This confused me for so long as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Ha! Figured out a way to cheese Havel the Rock with my sorcerer. If you step one foot just inside the door (from Darkroot) and immediately dash out, he'll try to follow you out to take a swing. If you back up to the bottom of the steps, he'll get hung up at the top for about three seconds...just long enough for you to hit him with a GHSA before he heads back in. Rinse and repeat. He's dead before you run out of casts (Int 20 at the time). Beautiful.

Spent about an hour trying to kill the Stray Demon before quitting last night. Managed to get him down to about 300 HP at one point. Just always end up on the bad end of that magic attack, forget to raise my shiny new Crest Shield, and then I'm done for. Will give it another go tonight. I'm actually getting pretty damn good at killing Black Knights.

steam_sig.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My Dark Souls progression:

Fought the Titanite demon next to the first blacksmith you come across. Beat him (handily) on the second try and got a Titanite Catch Pole. Yeeeeeeah, that probably doubled my damage output from using the Drake Sword and I was at like SL 20 (maybe even in the teens?). Beat the Gargoyles on the first try (it was close, though, I got reckless after the first one died and had only one hit left on the remaining one, but only one hit left on me... whew). Beat the Darkroot Hydra on the first attempt, beat the Ash Lake one on the second attempt. Now that I've killed all but 3-4 of the crystal lizards in the Hollow I have enough Twinkling Titanite to put my +4 Catch Pole to +5 and I think enough Twinkling to +5 something else, but I dunno what to use it on. Armor maybe? Maybe a shield? Oh, and I managed to get through every single Basilisk in the Depths AND the Hollow without getting cursed... until I climbed back up that damned tree and the last fucking one alive cursed me. Now I'm trying to take out the Blighttown boss with half health. Almost did, too, but I didn't realize she has an AoE (read: the whole damn battleground) fire attack. I would have lived if I had known to block when she was aiming in the other damn direction heh. Oh, Capra demon. Is he supposed to be really tough? I got him on the first try, but again... Titanite Catch Pole. So far the only thing that gave me enough trouble that I said "fuck this" was the wolf. I'll save him for later. I think my next goal item will be that ring that increases drop rates (I guess that's what it does?) so I can try to snag the Jagged Blade off the ghosts. Of course, since my luck was spent on getting the Catch Pole, I'm guessing that thing will take a year to drop for me.

What else should I do after I take out the boss of Blighttown? I'm also not quite sure what my character build is... I got Dex up to 24, Str is sitting at 16, and all my other points have gone towards Vit and End. I'm at 30 Vit I THINK (I have 1,001 hp, 500 cursed) and my End is around 22?

Oh and I THINK I got invaded by Kirk in the Depths? I'm not quite sure because another phantom invaded me before I reached the area where Kirk invades and I killed him easily, but then when maybeKirk invaded, I didn't have a chance to read the invader name because he was RIGHT on top of me. I killed him then cleared the area pre-Gaping Dragon. I ran around that basilisk area, deliberately went down the water slope, etc. but he never spawned. That MUST have been him, right? I mean, he's supposed to spawn no matter what pre-boss kill and if you're Human? I met all those req's, so... hoping that was him I killed. He didn't drop any items, but I did get ~5k souls so I think it was him.

This game is definitely... not "easier," but I think it's a bit more forgiving than Demon's Souls was. I love the fuck out of this game!

Fawst on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    After singing the praises of the +5 Zweihander I've dumped my titanite into a +5 Lightning Longsword.

Woah, compare to the Zweihadner it's like a threshing machine. A Lightning powered threshing machine.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited April 2012
    I've been prepping a spear to make a Moonlight Butterfly Horn. A worthwhile upgrade to the Drake Sword for a sorceror? Or should I be aiming for something else?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Just made the great sword of arturious (sp?) and damn it none of my stats are high enough. Guess I'll stick to bks+5 till I hit en cap and points elsewhere

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I've been prepping a spear to make a Moonlight Butterfly Horn. A worthwhile upgrade to the Drake Sword for a sorceror? Or should I be aiming for something else?

Moonlight Greatsword is what you want. You get it from chopping off the tail on one of the late game bosses. Good damage for an Int-build plus it has a decent special attack.

I've never actually tried the Moonlight Butterfly Horn but its stats aren't very good. Then again, it is a spear so you can keep your shield up while attacking so there's that.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I'll try to find something better in the interrim. I picked out the Horn because it has int scaling and I'll have the Butterfly soul soon. Maybe there's a better option.

To be honest, pretty much any good weapon will make a good Int weapon if you take it down the Magic/Enchanted upgrade path.

Hmm, maybe I'll try to find something better in the interrim. I picked out the Horn because it has int scaling and I'll have the Butterfly soul soon. Maybe there's a better option.

steam_sig.png

Moonlight Greatsword, Channeler's Staff, and Velka's Rapier are good alternatives. Personally, I'd just make a +15 weapon and use a Magic Weapon spell. Crystal Magic Weapon is devastating on bosses and PvP.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Don't turn down the MBH because a bunch of people who haven't tried it told you to. It's one of the better spears in the game. Massive range, respectable damage (and it's all from once source, making it better than any comparable enchanted or magic weapons) and all the other perks of a good spear. It's no Moonlight Greatsword, but you get it way earlier, and it'll take you all the way to it. Well, almost all the way. You'll probably want to make a lightning something-or-other for the duke's archives.

Edit: Looking at the wiki, an enchanted winged spear +5 does more damage (but not as much as you might think). I'd still take the horn over it though for the huge range advantage.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    I killed the Tower Knight but I can't get past the fog into 1-3. Says something about needing an Archdemon soul. I thought he was an Archdemon?

• yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I killed the Tower Knight but I can't get past the fog into 1-3. Says something about needing an Archdemon soul. I thought he was an Archdemon?

You need to finish one of the other x-3 levels.

Well that sucks :(

Especially as 2-1 is freaking brutal (only attempted it the once though tbh). Those fat fucks can piss right off. I have a Wooden Catalyst and a Talisman but they're useless right now so I can't do stuff from a distance very well..... There's the bow but in magical terms.

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Just made the great sword of arturious (sp?) and damn it none of my stats are high enough. Guess I'll stick to bks+5 till I hit en cap and points elsewhere

This is what sucks about that sword, it's awesome with the perfect build but totally outclassed by many other weapons using most builds.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    my SL110 char mains the artorias sword, it's a really great all-around weapon provided you've high enough level and don't mind being mildly pigeonholed into a jack-of-all-trades role, which really isn't a problem if you're not overly interested in pvp. the one objectionable part is that the requirements are so strenuous you basically build around the weapon, but imo it's worth it for the sick scaling, the actual length of the sword and the fact it's a greatsword with that length as opposed to an ultra greatsword, and has the quicker attack animations to match.

I don't actually disagree with you at all, I just wanted to sell people on the artorias sword, especially before the dlc with artorias actually in it. speaking of which, I'm getting mildly worried about the continued lack of an announcement about console dlc. it just seems like something that should have been such a given mention from the very start.

Torgairon on
    I just bought the claymore in DeSo. Its insane how much greater it is than the saber.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I loved the Claymore's animations and hated every other big sword's.

The Artorias greatsword, stat-wise, seems like it's trying to be the Blueblood Sword of Dark Souls, but it's just worse.

Dranyth wrote: »
    I loved the Claymore's animations and hated every other big sword's.

The Artorias greatsword, stat-wise, seems like it's trying to be the Blueblood Sword of Dark Souls, but it's just worse.

Yes, and no to that. See, the Greatsword of Artorias is neat in the sense that it counts as a divine weapon, and it scales with EVERYTHING in regards to offense. So basically, it's a really good weapon for Int/Faith builds, and if you want to go to ridiculous levels, it can be argued that it's the most powerful weapon in the game. It just can't be enchanted, which is the downfall.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Just started playing this. Two questions:

Am I pretty much just supposed to farm skeletons in the beginning to level up?
    And why did I go hollow again when I died? :(

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »

Question 1: No, no need to farm skeletons at all. Skeletons are the "wrong" way for where you are supposed to go. Explore a little, you should come across some enemies that are easy to kill, and if you are going "upwards" that is the correct way to start out.

Question 2: You have two states in the game: hollow and human. If you die as a hollow, you return as a hollow. If you die as a human, you return as a hollow. Being human grants perks such as increased resistance, the ability to summon helpers, not looking like a burn victim, and the chance of being invaded by other players or game NPC's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Hey: I make youtube videos. Long story. But I made one about how cool Dark Souls is, and if you want to watch it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »

The skeletons are horrible. Ignore them and head upwards, into the Burg. It also took me a while to find that path, don't worry if you're a little bit turned around.
    You will always go hollow when you die. It's no great disadvantage - I've only really played as human once, for a specific summon.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Hey: I make youtube videos. Long story. But I made one about how cool Dark Souls is, and if you want to watch it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q

I demand loquacious pontifications about story in games.

You know, I had a much easier time clearing the New Londo Ruins my first (deathless and needless) time through than I did on my second (multi-death, looking to remove a curse) trip. The worst was when my last bonfire visit was near the boss of Blighttown and I made it all the way to the fireplace ladder in NLR having cleared every single ghost in my path with the exception of one... and the fucker killed me in one hit at full (half-cursed) health. That was the biggest rage I've ever had in DeS/DaS.

Oh well, at least I got my Titanite Catch Pole up to +5. Time to go back to Blighttown and kill the black phantom then hit up the boss. Only 8 hours til I get to go home and start on that :P

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i'm kind of confused in dukes archives (i think. seath's area?)
    ok i got my ass kicked by him and imprisoned, escaped, found a couple of keys, went to the bottom and killed everyone, found logan in jail again and turned off the music box. after that i had no idea what to do.

i feel like i've searched everything in the prison area but i can't find a way forward.

edited April 2012
    Hmm, thinking on it now and reading the info on the wiki, is it really worth it to upgrade a shield? For instance, the ONLY stat that increases with the Dragon Crest Shield is the "Stability." However there is not description of what Stability does. It DOES list "Guard Break Reduction," so I'm assuming "Stability" is just a shorter description for that particular info tab as Guard Break Reduction is not on any tab. The DCS's unmodified Stability is 55. At +5, the Stability goes up to 66. Is that a huge difference? I'm honestly not sure how to determine if that's a worthwhile upgrade at the cost of 10 Twinkling Titanite.

Fawst on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm kind of confused in dukes archives (i think. seath's area?)
    ok i got my ass kicked by him and imprisoned, escaped, found a couple of keys, went to the bottom and killed everyone, found logan in jail again and turned off the music box. after that i had no idea what to do.

i feel like i've searched everything in the prison area but i can't find a way forward.

Top of the staircase, once you've got the key. You'll be back in the library area, with some new path options.

In other news, the Four Kings are scary. I think it's the combination of infinite blackness with these horrible things swooshing around in all directions; it's hard to get my bearings, and I always misjudge their distance from me.

QPPHj1J.jpg
This discussion has been closed.