As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man...I didn't know it was coming out this early.

Can't get it right away, sadly, but can't wait to play it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i read around some places that you can 100% this game in a couple days. still pretty tempted to pick it up though, it looks fun.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    How quickly one can 100% is luckily not the metric I use for rating open world smashfests like this, though that is a bit disheartening.

I mean, the original Prototype wasn't exactly a robust gaming experience and it certainly wasn't a marathon (unless you wanted to get those stupid hidden orbs, or whatever they were) but I still play it to this day just to jump around and sprint through pedestrians in slow-mo. I can only do this for, at the most, 15 to 20 minutes nowadays, but it's a lot of fun while it lasts. So that's how I rate them: strictly by fun factor. If the game practically demands I play it through sheer fun alone, then it's a winner. Doubly so if it holds my attention for more than a year like Prototype has for me, or like Just Cause 2.

oh yeah, and I guess I preordered this on Saturday.....though I didn't remember until a few minutes ago. Hurray? Hopefully the EA-like day 1 DLC preorder reskin mtn dew radical whatever isn't too obnoxious and/or offensive. I was probably gonna hold off on buying this actually, because of that preorder/dlc/whatever bullshit, but lo 'n behold I am weak....and suddenly I understand how shit like Ubisoft and EA happens.....

It's because of me! FUCKITY FUCK. The guilt is killing me.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i never 100% the first one because i sucked at races and some challenges, but it was well worth $60 to me

headed to midnight launch in a bit here, pretty pumped.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Game's getting pretty good reviews thus far. Most say that the flaws of Prototype 1 have been fixed. It's got a 79% on Metacritic with 11 reviews.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    My only gripe with the first game was how quickly you went from feeling like a badass powerhouse to running for your life from the strike forcels 'hero-juggling missle' funtimes. Considering how often you encountered said strike force, that encompassed more of the game than I'd like.

Still, I really enjoyed the remainder of it. I'm eagerly anticipating someone doing a follow-up video set to 'Stayin' Alive' where Sgt. Heller shoves people around this time.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I should probably put this in my 360 some time. Since I did pay $100 for it, heh.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I upgraded all my movement. I was initially a bit worried because they've changed how it works completely but mutations allow you to get back the feeling of speed you got in the first game and you get better fine control. It's also dead easy to get height now.

Dash has completely changed. It's only for horizontal air movement now. You can still dash into the ground but it doesn't put you at top speed. You can't leap and dash to get huge height either.
    Jumping has completely changed. You hold the button down for about a quarter of a second to jump to full height. Letting go early will stop the jump.
    Dodge is on a different button. (tap x to dodge). It also works really well.
    Glide is triggered with R2 now.

Shield has had the biggest change. Not only can you deflect rockets back at enemies, but you can actually deflect rockets at your current target. Shield doesn't break on damage and some enemies require you to shield parry them to get an opening. The shield is more or less a great big turtle shell and nothing can hurt ya when you are inside it.

There are pickups like Infamous all over the place. Nowhere near as many. Each "zone" in the game is divided into smaller suburbs and you will get four or five things to collect. The collectibles map gives you a rough outline of where to go and then you search around the area more thoroughly until an indicator pops up on your screen. Then you follow the indicator to your target. Get em all in a suburb and you get a new mutagen. Mutagens do things like give you an extra dash or increase the rate at which you hit top speed by x4, or increase the flat arc of your jump so you can jump forward faster. You also get percentage increases and they make a big difference.

Getting around is dead easy. Most of the skill is taken out of moving fast and with good height. the precision now is in keeping top speed because it isn't as forgiving as it used to be. Some moves will eat up all your speed. The x4 acceleration really helps though.

Upgrades are excellent and meaningful as you progress through the game. You can buff movement all the way and be a zippy mc zip like me. Or you can instead buff health all the way and regen health in combat behind your invulnerable shield. Stuff like that.
    I don't know if you can get everything by the end but I assume you can.

I've more or less had to throw out everything I know about combat and start again from scratch, as well as tossing out most of the actual pushing buttons muscle memory of movement. However any skill in judging distances or knowing how to use walls to reset your jumps etc is still there.

Combat is hugely improved. I was tearing up whole city streets of military with little effort. The tentacle power is spectacular.

Tanks cannot lock on now. You have to actually aim rather than hold lockon and shoot.

Knockback and splash damage in general has been greatly reduced...or at least I feel like it has. However as I said I upped my movement to the max I can get without more mutagen improvements so I may just be moving too fast to hit.

There's too much stuff to keep listing I'll never stop. It's nothing like prototype 1 and at the same time it is completely like prototype 1 in the feel of all the frenetic action and smashing huge groups of enemies while leaping all over the place being a munchy monster. You just go about it differently.

I love what I've played so far but I don't know what I will think of the maxed out stuff until I get there. Lots to see and do and all of it is meaningful. You do a random side mission and you get a power upgrade. You find a random woi to eat and you get a sequence of missions that ends with a mutagen. You find a random task group, kill them all, and progress to unlocking another mutagen. Everything you do has a point and most of them involve lots of smashing dudes.

The whole game goes into incredible hand holding detail when it comes to explaining how everything works and what you need to watch out for.

Difficulty wise...well I upgraded all the movement. So I have to put a bit more effort in and be fairly on my toes because at this point I have no health upgrades. :) So when things go wrong they go wrong in a hurry. But unlike the first game where when you are in the thick of it things felt very uncontrollable in this game you feel more like it was your fault and that you messed up. Especially with rockets because their indicator is extremely obvious.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Brrf

So the upgrade system! I like having everything by the end. In this one, is it like where a screen pops up saying "You can have this, or this, choose now" and you forever lose the one you didn't pick?

Everything else you said sounds rad. I was so sure I could resist Prototype 2 til it dropped a little... But I don't think it's out til Friday here, so I got time to go put an order in, get ma freebies, I guess. ;D

EDIT: Hahah, there isn't a standard edition on Amazon. Wrecking Ball it is! :P

(This the one with all the radnet toys?)

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I know everyone knows it but people need to be reminded what a fucking joke IGN always was and always will be

From their Prototype 2 review:
    Graphics 6.5
    The city looks good, but the drawn distance isn't great, animations look old, and the kills don't seem high-def.

Ignoring the "drawn" distance for a sec, what the fuck does "the kills don't seem high-definition" even mean?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    If you can't see his nasal hair as you pull him to pieces, it's not high-definition enough.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    like ML said, the branching missions are great. i don't feel bad getting distracted by the WOI targets now, and actively seek out collectibles to see if they trigger a little mission.
    i'm having a blast with it, the jumping is jarring but combat feels familar (with the blades atleast). i LOVE that they added the wolverine lunge.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am pretty sure you can get everything by the end. I've only got one to go on the offensive mutations screen for example. It's only a choice as in "what do I want right now"

I had a very large infected creatures attack go through my shield, but it didn't knock me down just did a bunch of damage. So there are some attacks you have to dodge. It's the only one I've seen though. Dodging just as they attack lets you hit them with something tasty in their recovery.
    I sat there letting a large group of rocket dudes and two helicopters pound me with rockets with the shield up and they could do nothing. You slide around a bit when a rocket hits you but the shield never breaks.
    Hitting shield after you have been knocked down cancels the recovery into a shield. So no more rocket juggling. You can turtle up.

I have had some insanely funfights full of dodges, attacks, leaps, throwing things, shield parrying to get advantage and open up moves.

On larger infected you can hit them with the tendril power when in an enclosed area and it will pin them helplessly, letting you chop off an arm and do heavy damage or throw them to the ground. I was also able to "juggle" a big infected all over a small area by repeatedly hitting him with a knockdown attack.

They sat there and looked at everything everybody bitches about with the last game and they said to themselves "how can we fix these while not losing the frantic and chaotic combat?" then went out and did it. It's just so damn good.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Ah, IGN. Shine on you crazy diamonds silly geese.
    I'm enjoying the game quite a lot.

The Web of Intrigue is still in, right?

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    "Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be... Sergeant James Heller".

Ambled into my local supermarket and after waiting five minutes for them to dig out and open the box, I ambled out with a copy clutched in in my grubby little paws. For once a game gets released on Tuesday in Britain without it having 'Modern Warfare' somewhere in the title.

I'm not going to be able to play it until after I get home from work at about half six, but I can wait.

Probably.

MGRSig2.jpg
    edited April 2012

Not as the web of tangentially related videos that you have to puzzle together youself. You still get the trippy cutscenes when you eat key people but they are either within a mission or start one. They are more tightly integrated. You don't find very many laying around.

The orb hunting, hint hunting and woi hunting as a grind type activity is gone. in fact the reason why many people probably find the game to be shorter is because all of the grinding is completely gone. You get powers by doing story missions, usually one new gadget or thing per mission. You hunt side missions for direct power upgrades to your story mission powers (for example; see a lair, go into lair, fight your way through the lair doing the objectives, come out with stronger claws and better assault rifle skill) or to get mutagens to upgrade your general powers. Evolution Points are still there but are tied to key mini bosses, mission completion and achieving bonus objectives within missions. Instead of being used to buy powers, heller has a levelling system. Get enough EP points and you level up. You can then put one point into five tiers of key attributes. Movement powers, Life guage, Health Regeneration, Devastator upgrades etc. Putting a point into movement will up your jump, your top speed, the length of your air dash, and once I had enough points in it I got another dash. Mutagens will allow me to eventually get a third air dash. As a comparison, putting those points into regeneration instead would have had me being slower and less jumpy but would have let me regen health to 100% out of combat (very quickly), get much more health from consumes and finally let me regen health continuously in combat (slower). So instead of jumping around like a jackrabbit going WAHAY like I am right now I would have been able to sit smugly under my shield and regen my health before doing something.

You are heavily rewarded for exploration. In fact you do actually have to explore to achieve full power. If you don't go collect those radio missions you wont get all your mutagens, period. Fortunately it's pretty easy to find them. You get a little radio story to listen after finding each one or for the killing ones you get some dudes to kill. Yay!

The radnet stuff is a bit weird. On the first day I got an event mission where I had to use the hammer powers to dive bomb groups of dudes and get a gold in it. I had a timed movement event. And I had an ingame challenge, where I had to actually go and find a brawler infected in the normal game and hit him 6 times without being touched once.

Morninglord on
    Well, leveling up sounds a lot better then grinding for new powers, but I will miss the WoI.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Not as the web of tangentially related videos that you have to puzzle together youself. You still get the trippy cutscenes when you eat key people but they are either within a mission or start one. They are more tightly integrated. You don't find very many laying around.

The orb hunting, hint hunting and woi hunting as a grind type activity is gone. in fact the reason why many people probably find the game to be shorter is because all of the grinding is completely gone. You get powers by doing story missions, usually one new gadget or thing per mission. You hunt side missions for direct power upgrades to your story mission powers (for example; see a lair, go into lair, fight your way through the lair doing the objectives, come out with stronger claws and better assault rifle skill) or to get mutagens to upgrade your general powers. Evolution Points are still there but are tied to key mini bosses, mission completion and achieving bonus objectives within missions. Instead of being used to buy powers, heller has a levelling system. Get enough EP points and you level up. You can then put one point into five tiers of key attributes. Movement powers, Life guage, Health Regeneration, Devastator upgrades etc. Putting a point into movement will up your jump, your top speed, the length of your air dash, and once I had enough points in it I got another dash. Mutagens will allow me to eventually get a third air dash. As a comparison, putting those points into regeneration instead would have had me being slower and less jumpy but would have let me regen health to 100% out of combat (very quickly), get much more health from consumes and finally let me regen health continuously in combat (slower). So instead of jumping around like a jackrabbit going WAHAY like I am right now I would have been able to sit smugly under my shield and regen my health before doing something.

You are heavily rewarded for exploration. In fact you do actually have to explore to achieve full power. If you don't go collect those radio missions you wont get all your mutagens, period. Fortunately it's pretty easy to find them. You get a little radio story to listen after finding each one or for the killing ones you get some dudes to kill. Yay!

The radnet stuff is a bit weird. On the first day I got an event mission where I had to use the hammer powers to dive bomb groups of dudes and get a gold in it. I had a timed movement event. And I had an ingame challenge, where I had to actually go and find a brawler infected in the normal game and hit him 6 times without being touched once.

Thanks for your summaries on the game! Having loved Prototype, and now knowing that Prototype 2 is even better, that adds one more guaranteed purchase to my list!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I'm eagerly anticipating someone doing a follow-up video set to 'Stayin' Alive' where Sgt. Heller shoves people around this time.

Easily my favorite game related video. I'm also waiting for a follow-up to Morninglord's "Don't Stop Me Now."

kyrcl.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that between Dark Souls and this, I have completely put Mass Effect 3 on the shelf for now? I mean, that was one of my most anticipated games and I only got like 10 hours into it since launch day. I already have double that in Dark Souls and I've only had it for a week. I'm just waiting for this to come in from Gamefly. Since it shipped yesterday, I'm sure that means I'll have it next Tuesday :P

Blah, I caved. Got this at full price from GAME, rather than cheap from Amazon. Eh. Got a cool slip case, so it works out. :P

Oh brilliant
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fawst wrote: »
    Is it wrong that between Dark Souls and this, I have completely put Mass Effect 3 on the shelf for now? I mean, that was one of my most anticipated games and I only got like 10 hours into it since launch day. I already have double that in Dark Souls and I've only had it for a week. I'm just waiting for this to come in from Gamefly. Since it shipped yesterday, I'm sure that means I'll have it next Tuesday :P

While I can't speak for Prototype 2 yet, in my opinion, Dark Souls is leaps and bounds better than Mass Effect 3, and I think Mass Effect 3 was a pretty solid game. Dark Souls, for me, is an all time favorite. That game had me hooked for weeks.

SkyTurnsRed on
    How does no-one notice me eating people right next to them?

Rizzi wrote: »
    How does no-one notice me eating people right next to them?

the noise is so loud, too! :P

i really like how detailed the city is in this one, and the rain... oh man, that rain. thunderstorms in this game rule.

This looks much better than I was expecting. The only trouble area was the intro - very slow framerate there, and Heller's model just didn't look very good. Once the game starts proper, everything looks great, runs great. Not got very far, but I love how the collectibles work now, that they're integrated into the actual gameplay, rather than just being there for a trophy unlock.

A lil' thing about the story;
    Mercer and Heller, working together after the first few cutscenes. HOOOO who called it? I think that was me. ;D

I demand some hot Heller vs Mercer action by the end, though.

Oh brilliant
    oh FUCK (mid-game spoilers)
    just did the fight with dr.koenig, and it was a really fun fight! we fought for a while going back and forth, then i threw him onto a roof and chased him down a bit. i cornered him on the end of a dock and then consumed him, it was pretty awesome.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to play this. Sadly, I wait until the PC release.

I'm confused about the Radnet stuff. I thought the code unlocked a bunch of bonus stuff? Not seeing it, says it's all locked behind challenges. Those challenges are only gonna become available day per day, and the final one is months away.

And the Mercer skin is by completing every challenge? So no Mercer skin til June? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I like all the changes so far. Also, something else I noticed: The stealth segments generally work much better. Being able to see who's got their eye on who, and making your plans on who to take out and in what order based on that--so no one is the wiser--is badass. As for how he keeps nomming people in broad daylight, I like to imagine that he's actually doing it so fast no one notices. It'd be nice if they did a time dilation thing to back that up.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    "Don't Stop Me Now" was not me. I just liked it a lot so I posted it everywhere. It was actually Destructoids video review. edit: actually I just realised that was Staying alive. I've only personally seen "Don't stop me now" once and it was someone else who linked it. Anyway the point is I had nothing to do with it.

The stealth consume mechanic is now tied to the triangle option on a ground grab. If you ever want a high profile consume to scare everybody, hit grab twice then consume.
    The idea with the stealth consume is 1). Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! DAH DAAAAAAAH! 2). In the situations you can do it nobody knows you are there so they don't expect to see it. 3). people don't see things they don't expect most of the time 4). even if they did sort of notice that something odd happened in the corner of their eye, when they look up they see a slightly angrier looking Private Bob and nothing else, so they go back to what they were doing.
    We think it's slightly strange because we do it all game so we know its coming and it seems slow and unwieldy because our expectations mean our attention is focused on it every time.

Morninglord on
    edited April 2012
    I'm confused about the Radnet stuff. I thought the code unlocked a bunch of bonus stuff? Not seeing it, says it's all locked behind challenges. Those challenges are only gonna become available day per day, and the final one is months away.

And the Mercer skin is by completing every challenge? So no Mercer skin til June? D:

Radnet is a staggered unlock of various pieces of content, including occasional large chunks such as the "Collosal Mayhem" DLC pack, that ends with everything unlocked around June. If you don't have the Radnet edition I assume you have to buy access.
    The idea is to give you something to come back to and an excuse to play more prototype 2 even if you've gamerscored or platinumed or are otherwise incapable of making up your own reason to keep playing it.

edit: Damn I meant to copy paste all the above into an edit of my previous post but I hit enter by mistake. Sorry. Off to play some more!

Morninglord on
    edited April 2012
    I have had problems with trying to stealth consume people in tight areas. There was a situation where a group of Blackwatch troops and scientists were standing around a jeep studying one of the nasty brute things. Naturally, I wanted to get my nomnom on. I got about two-thirds of the way through their ranks without suspicion, when I suddenly picked up the damn jeep! Cover's blown, people are freaking out, nothing left to do but toss that biatch. Which did leave some civvies rather, unfortunately, dead. And here I was trying to avoid unnecessary casualties as much as possible. I actually felt rather guilty about it.

That brings me to my next point: the innocent people in this game don't seem quite as much like meat this time around. I actively steer around them, and don't break cover unless absolutely necessary. I guess it's because I feel that Heller, as a character, has every reason to want to avoid further innocents being harmed and killed, particularly because of his actions. And I have to role-play that as much as possible for the narrative to remain cohesive.

He really is a much more sympathetic protagonist than Mercer, that much is certain.

EDIT: Adding to the avoiding civilian deaths thing, I also realized that this adds another layer of depth to the gameplay. I mean, yes, you're this badass, killing machine with the ability to flick people to death if you wanted to. But it's more fun, in my opinion, for that fact to be tempered with a desire to not harm the rather fragile humans all around. It's the good guy handicap, essentially. And while I would have completely just gone hog-wild on everything around me back when I was a teenager, now that I'm older, that's just not as appealing.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    I don't go out of my way to eat innocent people or start random rampages in this one. However I don't feel he is particularly disposed towards anyone so I don't avoid using aoe's on the street when fighting enemies or anything like that. Heller hates the world and curses everything, not just Mercer. He's a very angry man.

Morninglord on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    They are just polygons and polygons were made to have some fun with :ar!

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    weird, this game prompted me to update my ps3 firmware. never had a game do that before. anyway, i picked this up for $40 from that target trade in thing. looking forward to some mayhem.

edited April 2012
    I see Heller as hating Blackwatch specifically. Particularly after
    he got to speak with Mercer and get a different perspective on things.

I don't share your view that he has beef with the world at large. After all, his intel report at the beginning spells it out: he has an unnatural fixation on Mercer as the cause of death of his wife and child. Nothing about his condition would suggest to me that he'd become apathetic about people in general. Maybe he doesn't value his life so much, but I don't see that extending to others. After all, he isn't suffering memory loss like Mercer was, and so he isn't having to develop a moral compass as he goes. His identity is intact, for the most part, and he seemed like a stand-up guy in the intro (if a little naive). He's still him, just now with freaky, unnatural super-powers.

You could make the case that his new found inhumanity might shape his personality going forward--that's something I'll have to see for myself as I progress. My Mercer certainly started acting less human as the first Prototype went on. But as of right now? Heller's still the good guy torn between revenge and altruism, with the two overlapping quite a bit.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm really digging the mutations in this game, last one I got gave me +25% health and said "A heart a day, keeps Alex Mercer away"

Black Boxes is pretty cool too, and a massive improvement upon the shitty orbs (I will probably go back to Prototype 1 for that someday, last achievement...)

I've found every hidden thing in the Yellow Zone (except the single Lair, when can I do that?)

Sirialis on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

Tendril Attacks.

So bloody.

SO FUN.

Also, finishing off Tanks and APCs with a charged Tendril is a hilarious visual.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Mercer seemed like a total douche, so it's nice this new guy seems to have slightly more of a personality/minimum morals.