As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    That is a pretty damn pretty launcher.

Pretty, yes, but fuck I hate it when companies decide to go outside the Windows UI and do non-standard window design (specifically the title bar/top right buttons and border), it's the same shit Apple does and it's annoying.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »

Pretty, yes, but fuck I hate it when companies decide to go outside the Windows UI and do non-standard window design (specifically the title bar/top right buttons and border), it's the same shit Apple does and it's annoying.

The Windows UI is shit.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man I hope my MacBook Pro can run this thing while I'm at my hotel. The GT 330M graphics chip is worrying me. It should be able to but I hope I don't have to put the settings too low.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I hate all of you. Coming into this thread is depressing. Can't believe after all of this I can't play this weekend. Has there been any news on how many other BWE's there are pre-launch?

What is this I don't even.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I hate all of you. Coming into this thread is depressing. Can't believe after all of this I can't play this weekend. Has there been any news on how many other BWE's there are pre-launch?

After all the greif you give me for our adventures in Tyria. You deserve it. :p

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

There should be at least one a month until launch.

edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

Compared to? Your options are Windows, OSX, and whatever flavor of Linux windows manager floats your boat. I don't know anyone (including die hard Linux users) who would argue that any Linux GUI is better than OSX or Windows, and between OSX and WIndows you basically have personal perference - I'm not a fan of OSX design conventions or the interface in general, so Windows wins in the end, and I find it very useable/clean. Detour aside, I just dislike companies stepping outside the UI guidelines for any OS just because they want to be unique.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

The Windows UI is shit.

Compared to? Your options are Windows, OSX, and whatever flavor of Linux windows manager floats your boat. I don't know anyone (including die hard Linux users) who would argue that any Linux GUI is better than OSX or Windows, and between OSX and WIndows you basically have personal perference - I'm not a fan of OSX design conventions or the interface in general, so Windows wins in the end, and I find it very useable/clean. Detour aside, I just dislike companies stepping outside the UI guidelines for any OS just because they want to be unique.

Just 'cause the competition is bad don't make Windows any good.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

There should be at least one a month until launch.

So hopefully there won't be any more!

:P

Also clearly I'm bored/starved for info if I'm picking at the downloader UI :p

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Also clearly I'm bored/starved for info if I'm picking at the downloader UI :p

Yes, yes you are. Someone get this man a BWE, stat!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Need to DL that launcher asap!

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

Surprisingly, the Windows UI is the one thing I don't have problems with in Windows. I'm not saying its great, but I don't hate it. I do wish that I didn't have to use Windows though, as it is a terrible OS.

Back on topic, anyone know how large the client is? I'm dling it right now, but it doesn't say how large the file is, which is annoying. 186 thousand files could be 200 GB or MB. Ok, not 200 MB since I've already dld that much.

Edit - Just hit 1% at around 260 MB. So somewhere around 25-30GB.

Rednaz on
    Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Has there been any official confirmation that the stress test client will work in the upcoming BWE? I know it's updating to the BWE client currently, and all signs point to yes... but I'm paranoid, and if I tried to log on to the BWE only to find that my client was bad and I had to redownload the whole thing, I might lose it.

Is anyone gonna try and log in using this launcher? Looks like some prepurchasers on the reddit thread were actually getting in game.

I'll probably just DL it simply because I'm on Comcast and their 'cap' is high enough that you have to download like a mofo all month to hit it. So I'll be annoyed if it's the wrong client or something, but I'll live.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Has there been any official confirmation that the stress test client will work in the upcoming BWE? I know it's updating to the BWE client currently, and all signs point to yes... but I'm paranoid, and if I tried to log on to the BWE only to find that my client was bad and I had to redownload the whole thing, I might lose it.

There is only one public client. The client technology has been solid for Guildwars and thus Guildwars 2 for the longest time. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I tested attempting to log in. Message comes up saying everything is ready with your account but the event is this weekend.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »

The Windows UI is shit.

Surprisingly, the Windows UI is the one thing I don't have problems with in Windows. I'm not saying its great, but I don't hate it. I do wish that I didn't have to use Windows though, as it is a terrible OS.

Back on topic, anyone know how large the client is? I'm dling it right now, but it doesn't say how large the file is, which is annoying. 186 thousand files could be 200 GB or MB. Ok, not 200 MB since I've already dld that much.

12.7 GB (13,688,936,424 bytes).

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

There is only one public client. The client technology has been solid for Guildwars and thus Guildwars 2 for the longest time. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I tested attempting to log in. Message comes up saying everything is ready with your account but the event is this weekend.

Excellent. Thanks for assuaging my fears.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

So what you're saying is that you've never liked any video game UI made with DirectX or OpenGL, then.

EDIT: That woulda been an awkward typo to explain.

naengwen on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think the fact that the art falls over the stanard window is what makes it so pretty. I love it.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I'm just going to wait until they announce the proper download. It's not like there won't be time to download it.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DLing the client. Feel all tingly.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    naengwen wrote: »

The Windows UI is shit.

So what you're saying is that you've never liked any video game UI made with DirectX or OpenGL, then.

Games aren't part of the OS paradigm.

Glal on
    edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

Trying to work out what that typo might have been :p

Also, I was specifically talking about windowed applications, not full screen. Windowed games typically use the standard UI elements.

steejee on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

Trying to work out what that typo might have been :p

The only thing I can think of was "...you've never liked any video game UI made with Dicks..."

Even if that wasn't it, I think it should have been.

(also, downloading the client, whee!)

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular

The Windows UI is shit.

Damn, how did I double it?

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    So has anyone actually received an official download link or are folks just using a link from reddit and/or the client downloader from previous GW2 beta stuff?

Mazlo wrote: »
    So has anyone actually received an official download link or are folks just using a link from reddit and/or the client downloader from previous GW2 beta stuff?

The latter. No official links have been supplied as of yet.

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Whoops I accidentally pre-purchased this last night. No idea how that happened. Guess I will be playing this a bit this weekend. Though I did just make plans to spend all day Sauturday hiking and BBQing but I will still get some time in.

• Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    How do you accidentally enter detailed credit card information? 0.o

PSN: Scotty85
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    How do you accidentally enter detailed credit card information? 0.o

I work at a bank, so I can say you would be surprised how often you hear that.

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Windows UI is shit.

Damn, how did I double it?

I'm at 25% with 5.1 GBs, reddit said it's 20.3 GBs.

Also, based on the download UI, this is the client for this weekend, not the stress test.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    When I left my apt. It was at 50% and was going quite fast, is there multiple patches?

edited April 2012
    People have been saying it's about 12GB. The % during download is an incorrect estimate or something?

I presume ANet is not giving us the full game just for the BWE.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hmm I still can't log into the account site.

Do you guys think it's time to actually call them yet?

(please do not link me to their support site, tried that, didn't help. Note: this is not a complaint. I understand it's an oddball problem.)

edited April 2012
    Yeah, it finished for me at 12GB.

The login screen is so pretty...
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

(please do not link me to their support site, tried that, didn't help. Note: this is not a complaint. I understand it's an oddball problem.)

I had that problem too. The way I solved it was, despite changing what email was attached to the account, I still had to login through the old email that the account was created under.

Bloodsheed on
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Well if you want to wait until it is completely "appropriate" I would say when they announce the download officially. I imagine you could contact them today though.

What account are you using to attempt the log in? Did you link accounts?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Entaru wrote: »
    vhzod wrote: »
    Any news on if Asura or Sylvari will be playable this weekend?

They will not be available for this BWE, no.

Sorry.

I was annoyed at first, but now I'm fine with it. Lets me try Mesmers (my intended main class at launch) without having to redo the same area again at launch.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    DLing client now. Nice catch on the reddit thing. I'm just glad to get it on my machine for now so it's ready. No problems so far, loving the loader.

488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.