As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    I have discovered the best breakfast. Heat up some almond milk with Splenda and cinnamon. Cook some whole oats with pomegranates in that mixture. Serve over sliced bananas and a big dollop of natural peanut butter. Just give it an hour or so before you lift afterwards.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Finally got back into squats yesterday and managed to do a few sets with 225#.

It's a start...

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Just saw it on the news, resistance exercises improve memory.

Book it!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Oof, upping my presses by ten pounds instead of five really hits harder, especially since I ended up missing last Fridays lift.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Weird thing tonight. I hit heavyish deadlifts, ended with 350 for a single, and then went to DB bench. When I got to my work set with the 75s my left forearm just shit the bed, it was like nope you're done pressing. It was weird, I've never had that happen before. I may need to rethink today's routine.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I don't think I could see myself doing any other lifts after deadlifting, so I always do those last. I can definitely picture parts of my arms giving out after trying to do other lifts afterwards.

Yeah even if the deadlift just isn't -done- with the arms doesn't mean it wont hit them. Speaking of, I upped mine by ten pounds as planned and was kinda... well, 'meh'. I gotta wonder if the way I need to get down to do them is alright. I keep my back at a natural arch and everything, but I gotta squat down to the point where my knees are kinda touching the inside of my elbows. Must be because my biggest plates just really don't bring the bar that far off the ground.

Being tall don't help.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Got a programming question guys; stalled on my squats at 130kg, I'm starting to think that upping the weight each time and doing 3x5 is a bit much for me. Was wondering whether to switch to 1x5 for my work set of squats and keep upping the weight or stick to 3x5 and up the weight once a week. I already do front squats one day out of my three in an attempt to lighten the squatting load a tad (I work on a farm so can't really spend most of the week recovering from heavy squats or conserving energy for them - it annoys my dad).

My other lifts are lagging behind my squats by varying degrees so it isn't time to switch to an intermediate program overall as yet.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Got a programming question guys; stalled on my squats at 130kg, I'm starting to think that upping the weight each time and doing 3x5 is a bit much for me. Was wondering whether to switch to 1x5 for my work set of squats and keep upping the weight or stick to 3x5 and up the weight once a week. I already do front squats one day out of my three in an attempt to lighten the squatting load a tad (I work on a farm so can't really spend most of the week recovering from heavy squats or conserving energy for them - it annoys my dad).

My other lifts are lagging behind my squats by varying degrees so it isn't time to switch to an intermediate program overall as yet.

Once a week increase. See how you go on that for a while. What kind of stall are we talking about here? Couple of reps missed or just stapled all day?

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Ugh deadlifts were not friendly today. Why is my DL so weak eughhughugh.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

Once a week increase. See how you go on that for a while. What kind of stall are we talking about here? Couple of reps missed or just stapled all day?

Bar shifted on my back in the first set so I put it down after 2 reps, next 2 sets I'd let myself get into that stalling mindset and only managed 3 of each.

Because you're a weak baby. Quit being weak you baby. Also could be because you're tall, I've heard that makes deadlifting tricky, what with your funny levers and all. Watch this before you lift next, it might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCl5uyn5K7k

@Schide that's interesting, I always deadlift first because I want to be fresh for it. I can't imagine deadlifting after I've done all of my other shit, I'd be wasted.

Also I don't know if anyone else has listened to it but Paul Carter and Jaime whatsisname have teamed up to do a Chaos and Bang podcast, it's pretty ok. I'm hoping as it develops they slide more to training and less to how many trannies would you bang for a million dollars but I guess we'll see.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

I wouldn't switch to weekly increases (intermediate programming) on the squat just yet. Try instituting a light day on Wednesday (or your middle day). Continue every lift as is, except on the middle workout of the week, squat at 80% of the load you did the last workout. 3x5 or 2x5. This will help your recovery. The next workout, up with weight again. That will give you ten pounds per week, twice as fast as intermediate programming, and you will never be squatting with only one day of rest.

But that's kinda based on how you're feeling. If linear progression is burning you out mentally, and you're getting discouraged (has been happening to me too recently) you may want to make a shift to slower progression. A bit less efficient, but we're supposed to be enjoying ourselves here.

Peen wrote: »
    Weird thing tonight. I hit heavyish deadlifts, ended with 350 for a single, and then went to DB bench. When I got to my work set with the 75s my left forearm just shit the bed, it was like nope you're done pressing. It was weird, I've never had that happen before. I may need to rethink today's routine.

Damn. My deadlift is so weak compared to what I can DB press. I think I would prefer the opposite.

Slider wrote: »

Damn. My deadlift is so weak compared to what I can DB press. I think I would prefer the opposite.

Man what? If you DB bench more than you deadlift then you need to reassess your gym priorities. Like big time.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also I don't know if anyone else has listened to it but Paul Carter and Jaime whatsisname have teamed up to do a Chaos and Bang podcast, it's pretty ok. I'm hoping as it develops they slide more to training and less to how many trannies would you bang for a million dollars but I guess we'll see.

Yeah I've downloaded those but haven't listened to them yet. I enjoy both blogs (PC's facebook updates are almost entirely terrible though) so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I expect a large proportion to be the trannie banging though.

TheRealBadger on

Because you're a weak baby. Quit being weak you baby. Also could be because you're tall, I've heard that makes deadlifting tricky, what with your funny levers and all.

Yeah pretty much, I am a weak baby. When I sit down and think rationally, my deadlift is actually OK for the level I'm at and amount of time I've been properly training for (not that long). I mean, there's probably about 15-20kg difference between my squat and DL 1RM, which is not bad as far as I know. I just have to be patient and keep training/eating/sleeping.

Just annoying, because I see people lighter and smaller than me pull bigger numbers than me with what appears to be very little difficulty and arghargh.

Also I always keep hearing mixed ideas about tall people and deadlifting. Some tall folks seem to be pretty good at it, whilst others not so much. It probably just depends on specific lever lengths and muscle attachments etc.

@Lewie P's Stepdad and any other Olympic weightlifting dudes, I don't know if you've seen this but is it dumb?

Oympic Weightlifting is not Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    100x3 and 110x1x3 on bench press. Yay progress!

edited April 2012
    @Lewie P's Stepdad and any other Olympic weightlifting dudes, I don't know if you've seen this but is it dumb?

Oympic Weightlifting is not Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe

Going off of this, what does your training schedule look like? Lewie and any other O-lifters here.

The main lifts every training day? Lifts from the hang? How often are we squatting and DLing? Strict press, push press?

Methuselah on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shane Hamman squats a grand and couldn't bring home an olympic medal. There's more to Olympic lifting than strength, although it's obviously important. I'll listen to Mark Rippetoe's opinions when he produces a single athlete that's worth a damn.

Shane Hamman squats a grand and couldn't bring home an olympic medal. There's more to Olympic lifting than strength, although it's obviously important. I'll listen to Mark Rippetoe's opinions when he produces a single athlete that's worth a damn.

This is what Mark had to say about Shane's strength, after being asked if that 1000lb squat strength when he was a weightlifter: "I saw Shane squat 804 in a shirt, shorts, and shoes in 2000, shortly after he got to the OTC. He told me that he never trained his back squat heavy or his deadlift at all, that he felt as though his power came from his strength, and that had he the opportunity to do it again he'd keep the heavy squat and the deadlift in his program."
    http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=23226&p=258399#post258399

And as for producing an athlete worth a damn, http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=23226&p=251532#post251532

I think he believes that while there's obviously more to Oly Lifting than strength, USAW neglects it totally, because the snatch and C+J don't make an advanced lifter stronger. Training templates USAW has given us seem to reflect this, to me. Buried in one of those threads, Klokov told Jim Moser that he doesn't train the O-lifts, it's mostly heavy DL's, squats and presses, because his technique is pretty polished.

What does your training look like? Do any benching? How many days/week? I am curious!

edited April 2012
    Slider wrote: »

Man what? If you DB bench more than you deadlift then you need to reassess your gym priorities. Like big time.

I was just comparing myself to you. I can't bench more than I can deadlift, but I work with 80s or 85s when I DB bench press. When I deadlift, I am nowhere close to 350#. I work sets with 225#.

I probably work on my chest more than any other body part. The habit started way back in high school.

Here is a picture of me at the gym after a workout.
    0403121132-00-1.jpg

Slider on
    Ohhh. Ok. Maybe you should work on something other than your chest then?

Speaking of chests, another good bench day. I'm gonna hit a plateau around here somewhere but everything's feeling great right now, I hit 180x8 today and then knocked out a nice bunch of close grip bench. Feels good brah.

Methuselah wrote: »
    What does your training look like? Do any benching? How many days/week? I am curious!

When I was olympic lifting (and I was never good, occasionally adequate) I trained 3 days a week for about three hours a time. I trained the lifts first, then squats, then accessory work like pulls, balances and power jerks.

I didn't deadlift or press, and I don't know any olympic lifters that do. The deadlift has very little carry over and the press has almost none.

The main difference between that training style and the training of other lifters I know is that others will tend to skip the accessory work completely. If I started lifting again I probably would too, because I fucking hate olympic accessory work.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Broke 300# on my DL today, and had a little gas left over I think, which isn't much but it's nice to hit it again after so many years off from doing any kind of leg work.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    The ends of my bar are filling up pretty quick for my own deadlift with these sand filled plates, need to see if any of those plates we got in storage are of a decent weight since the heaviest I've got to put on the bar are two 17.6 lb ones.

When I was olympic lifting (and I was never good, occasionally adequate) I trained 3 days a week for about three hours a time. I trained the lifts first, then squats, then accessory work like pulls, balances and power jerks.

I didn't deadlift or press, and I don't know any olympic lifters that do. The deadlift has very little carry over and the press has almost none.

I know it's pretty blatant that I'm a Rippetoe fanboy, but I figure it balances out your clear distaste for the guy's methods.

• PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Welp.

Hit 80kg squats, and managed to rip my shorts a week after ripping my underpants. Pretty obvious ripping noise too, just kept eyes straight forward, finished my workout, and swore to myself to switch to tights, asap.

Otherwise - my gym is annoying, and doesn't have any plates smaller than 2.5kg. Might have to buy a set of smaller ones just so I can progress on bench and OHP.

And ugh - eating a lot while eating healthy is difficult when not in control of your diet. Ah well, probably gonna plateau really soon. :(

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
    Got my ass handed to me on the racquetball court last night. It put me in a shitty mood.

I also managed to squeeze in a short back workout. I used 75s for DB rows. It didn't feel too heavy, so I'm happy about that.

I know it's pretty blatant that I'm a Rippetoe fanboy, but I figure it balances out your clear distaste for the guy's methods.

Nah, clean pulls and snatch pulls. Occasionally I'd do good mornings. Also situps or hypers at the end of each session, but not really because who does that.

I know you've got a dislike for Rippetoe Tube, so I'm curious about something. What would you have a beginner do instead of his Starting Strength program? Mind you I'm already doing it but it'll be something for me to consider once I've been going for a few months.

Starting Strength is a decent program if
    A. You do it exactly as written
    B. You want the very specific kind of results that it will give you

My problem isn't with the program, it's with the idea that it's the one stop best solution for anyone starting weight training. It isn't.

Very true, even I'm certain I don't do it 100% right but that's mostly because I deal in such technically 'light' weight currently.

Starting Strength is a decent program if
    A. You do it exactly as written
    B. You want the very specific kind of results that it will give you

My problem isn't with the program, it's with the idea that it's the one stop best solution for anyone starting weight training. It isn't.

Yeah, this is definitely very true. It's definitely not an easy program to do as written, and the diet/body composition necessary to do so aren't really lined up with many people's priorities .

It's also aimed at younger people or people who generally have the required mobility to perform squats and deadlifts.

Which isn't to say older folks can't do it, but I see many older dudes trying to squat at my gym, and they just don't have enough mobility to get into the right positions. It's often a case of learning the proper form, but years of poor postural habits, sitting at office desks, sitting in cars etc leads to tight hips, weak hamstrings and terrible thoracic mobility. That shit's gotta be worked out before you attempt to load heavy weight onto your back and start squatting.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Any opinions on deep squats (ass-to-grass) versus parallel squats? I do deep squats right now but it seems like I'm in the minority at the gym. Actually, I think most people in my gym aren't getting their hips even with their knees before they go up.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Any opinions on deep squats (ass-to-grass) versus parallel squats? I do deep squats right now but it seems like I'm in the minority at the gym. Actually, I think most people in my gym aren't getting their hips even with their knees before they go up.

Kinda depends on what squats you're doing. If you're doing low-bar, I find going lower than two inches below parallel slackens the hamstrings. I've never squatted high-bar, but I feel like you should go ATG with them, because it doesn't seem to drastically change muscle involvement, just ROM. I could be wrong though.

edited April 2012
    Deep / ATG squats are a must for Oly lifting, whereas Powerlifting only requires going just below parallel for a passable squat.

The two styles are different, in most cases. Generally you have a wider stance for the powerlifting squat (low bar), with more sitting back and more vertical shins. High bar squats generally require a narrower stance and the knees come out over the toes by a fair bit, depending on your build obviously.

I don't really want to specialise in any particular variation so I practice both. I like low bar because it lets me lift heavier weights and develop my strength more, and I feel them in my hamstrings much more. But I also like Oly squats because I like the idea of performing a lift through a "full" range of motion. My personal belief is that they are a more complete exercise than purely doing low bar squats, but like I said, each has its purpose and they're both valid exercises.

The guys you see doing quarter squats usually don't know how to do either type of squat.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
This discussion has been closed.