As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    My brain still breaks that Jim Gordon is also Zorg from the Fifth Element.

I'm not sure how it's possible for one man to have that much range.

Wait for reals? I've never made that connection and I've watched 5th element more times than I care to admit.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    My brain still breaks that Jim Gordon is also Zorg from the Fifth Element.

I'm not sure how it's possible for one man to have that much range.

And Dracula.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    And Sirius Black. The dude is a freaking terrific actor, and it's really near impossible to watch a film of his and be like "Oh yeah that's Gary Oldman's Character". As opposed to basically anything Johnny Depp does.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One of these days I'm going to track down every single non-Marvel Studios marvel film and watch them, in order of release, one a day.

Yes, including Elektra.. and the Reb Brown Captain America films.
    Nocren wrote: »
    Crazy people aren't exactly known for well thought out impulse planning.

Heck most normal people aren't either.

Norman was in the driver's seat at that point. He was less impulsive than the Goblin persona. He had very little training, experience or strategy for combat unlike his split personality.

I thought the whole point of that scene was that Goblin was faking the "It's me, Norman, your pals Dad!" bit to spring his trap on Spider-Man. Though it has been an age since I watched that movie.

Don't watch Elektra. Just don't. Its a vile poison that will rot your soul. I can not forgive them for what they did with Typhoid Mary.

It was better than Daredevil (including the director's cut) and Ghost Rider.

I tried watching Elektra. But nothing happened. NOTHING HAPPENED.

Elektra takes a while to get started.
    Once The Hand send a squad to assassinate Abby the plot kick's in.
    Ghost Rider I was oddly okay with. It didn't impress me, but it wasn't dumb.

I disagree.

Harry Dresden on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    And Sirius Black. The dude is a freaking terrific actor, and it's really near impossible to watch a film of his and be like "Oh yeah that's Gary Oldman's Character". As opposed to basically anything Johnny Depp does.
    Depp has range. He just hasn't used it in yeeeeeears.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »

My mind is full of fuck and stars that I've never made any of these connections till now.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Greeper wrote: »

My mind is full of fuck and stars that I've never made any of these connections till now.

Dracomicron on
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I agree that Rises looks boring, but I just think it's poor advertising. Not that I blame them; I wouldn't know how to follow up Dark Knight either. I'm still perfectly confident that the movie will be awesome.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll both do fine. It's sort of interesting to look at the two marketing campaigns; TDKR is the epitome of dark and gritty, it's practically monochromatic, and Avengers is (comparatively) light-hearted and candy-colored. Not that I'd have it any other way.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I do dig the fact that Rises and Avengers are both high-profile, major comic movies that have damn near fuck-all to do with eachother and have so little in common, thematically and visually.

It's not that I think he can't, but Nolan's really gotta knock this one out of the park the way Avengers is overshadowing it.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, it was only recently that the hype for the Avengers has managed ot start reaching the hype for Dark Knight Rises, IMO. I think DKR not having a lot of media out vs the Avengers massive amount of trailers, spots and clips is what's doing it. Once the movie comes out I imagine the hype train for DKR will explode and quickly overshadow the post-Avengers atmosphere.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they don't have competing release dates.

KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm just glad they don't have competing release dates.

clusterfuck.jpg

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Honestly, it was only recently that the hype for the Avengers has managed ot start reaching the hype for Dark Knight Rises, IMO. I think DKR not having a lot of media out vs the Avengers massive amount of trailers, spots and clips is what's doing it. Once the movie comes out I imagine the hype train for DKR will explode and quickly overshadow the post-Avengers atmosphere.

History repeats itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

• IriahIriah Registered User regular
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, has everyone seen the second Japanese trailer?

Has some different footage (including a bit from the Thor/Cap scene with the CGI aliens).

newSig.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I actually havent seen ANYTHING for TDKR other than the initial teaser and a ton of very generic "this is batman clearly posing" shots for magazines.

...I think Avengers is the best thing to happen to Dark Knight Rises for me actually. I've been so distracted that I'm literally going in totally, totally blind.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Johnny Depp is just as great as Gary Oldman.

There was a moment years ago when I was like:

"Oh holy crap, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, that guy from Chocolat, and Raoul Duke are all played by the same person?"

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm still looking forward to TDKR but it seems like it's going to be pretty ridiculous in places. Between stuff like the collapsing football stadium, the aircraft vehicle thing, Banes look and catwoman riding around on that stupid motorcycle it's probably going to be a lot more comic-book-y

[edit] Gary Oldman is a much much better actor than Depp.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KhaylessKhayless Registered User regular
    Just returned from the midnight showing of Avengers. Honestly it was better than I was expecting. I have one major complaint that I won't go into , but I felt it was a solid film overall. 3D didn't add much to it, except make my eyes hurt after two and a half hours. And yes, there is a scene after the credits.

I've already got plans to see it again on Saturday.

3DS friend code: 3609-1786-8629
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    If you don't mind Khayless, could you explain what your complaint is? Just wrap it in a few spoiler tags. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Heir wrote: »
    If you don't mind Khayless, could you explain what your complaint is? Just wrap it in a few spoiler tags. :)
    I was unimpressed with their depiction of Cap, which is a big problem if you're making a film about the Avengers. He wasn't inspiring, and he looked like a B-list hero compared to Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. This was odd because I never got that impression from the Captain America film. The rest of the characters are fantastic, especially Mark Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Khayless wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    I was unimpressed with their depiction of Cap, which is a big problem if you're making a film about the Avengers. He wasn't inspiring, and he looked like a B-list hero compared to Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. This was odd because I never got that impression from the Captain America film. The rest of the characters are fantastic, especially Mark Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk.
    This was my fear as well...starting with the new suit he just looked awful. That's too bad. Ah well, I'm glad the Hulk did well.

camo_sig2.png
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Khayless wrote: »
    Just returned from the midnight showing of Avengers. Honestly it was better than I was expecting. I have one major complaint that I won't go into , but I felt it was a solid film overall. 3D didn't add much to it, except make my eyes hurt after two and a half hours. And yes, there is a scene after the credits.

I've already got plans to see it again on Saturday.
    Just so we are absolutely clear, re: credits. After or during? Because I only got the one during.

Maclay wrote: »
    Just so we are absolutely clear, re: credits. After or during? Because I only got the one during.

Sorry, I should have said during the credits.

That's a relief. I was almost worried that they'd screwed me over. Not your fault, you used the common parlance and I'm an occasional paranoid pessimist.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Saw it this morning and thought it was great! As did the people I went with, ranging from a fairly big comic book fan to someone who had only seen Thor out of the Marvel movies - something we'll be remedying this afternoon with a Marvel marathon :)

Will go see it again at the cinemas, not sure if I'll try 3D or watch it in 2D again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    3d probably isn't going to be worth it, generally flat, standard post-processed stuff. I only saw it in 3d because I was hoping to see a 3d Brave trailer (I didn't).

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Just got back from a 3D showing, there were only a couple of scenes where it really shone, 2D would be fine. Vaguely spoilerish impressions:
    - Hulk gets all the best bits, a couple of them were hysterical
    - I was surprised to find that the first two-thirds dragged for me, given what I've read about it. Last third was a lot better
    - it really highlighted what is a problem in these teams, in the New York battle you had big hitters like the Hulk taking stuff down, and the low-powered ones may as well have been reading the paper really
    - it bugged me that the bad guy's invasion plan was just to fly around and shoot randomly, but then I thought "well that is pretty much what they do in the comics" and after that it didn't bother me

• ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Just saw it, loved it. Thought the 'Mass Effect' style was great (action scene, people talking amongst themselves, action scene, people talking) and it did a decent job of always giving everyone something to do.

And loved the stinger, shame it'll be a few years before we see how it plays out.

Can't wait to rewatch it on DVD in a few (maybe more..) months.

• areaarea Registered User regular
    So we're saying that there's only one stinger? And the speculation about secretly filming a scene in the last week or two was either a) baseless speculation or b) For something that's not The Avengers movie?

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    area wrote: »
    So we're saying that there's only one stinger? And the speculation about secretly filming a scene in the last week or two was either a) baseless speculation or b) For something that's not The Avengers movie?

It seems like this: 2D > 3D, only one stinger during the credits and not after, and the "secretly filming a scene" was stated by Whedon to be a joke from Downey Jr. and Ruffalo but no one can be certain who's lying in this case.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    B:L wrote: »
    area wrote: »

It seems like this: 2D > 3D, only one stinger during the credits and not after, and the "secretly filming a scene" was stated by Whedon to be a joke from Downey Jr. and Ruffalo but no one can be certain who's lying in this case.

Feige confirmed it happened, but downplayed it's significance. Sounds like it may just wind up being an alternative take on an existing scene.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Just got back from a 3D showing, there were only a couple of scenes where it really shone, 2D would be fine. Vaguely spoilerish impressions:
    - Hulk gets all the best bits, a couple of them were hysterical
    - I was surprised to find that the first two-thirds dragged for me, given what I've read about it. Last third was a lot better
    - it really highlighted what is a problem in these teams, in the New York battle you had big hitters like the Hulk taking stuff down, and the low-powered ones may as well have been reading the paper really
    - it bugged me that the bad guy's invasion plan was just to fly around and shoot randomly, but then I thought "well that is pretty much what they do in the comics" and after that it didn't bother me

I actually enjoyed the way this was done...
    To me it really showed the difference between Hawk/Widow being highly trained humans, vs Cap who is a super human vs the rest which are more than human (I'm lumping Iron Man into this category due to the suit giving him that much of an edge).

I could be wrong in grouping them that way, as I'm not an avid reader of the comics etc, but that is the way it seemed to me.

My one critique, and if you really don't want anything spoiled but you're reading this anyway, stop now.... is the way the bad guys all just dropped to the ground like they were droids from the phantom menace when the mothership got taken out.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Funniest bit:
    Loki to Hulk: You are a monster! I am a god! A lowly being such-
    *Hulk punches him, grabs him and smacks him all around the room*

The audience was in stitches over that bit.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Hulk's one liner after that was better "Puny god"

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I actually didn't hear it in the theater, the audience was laughing so much. That just makes it perfect. :lol:

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wandering wrote: »
    Johnny Depp is just as great as Gary Oldman.

There was a moment years ago when I was like:

"Oh holy crap, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, that guy from Chocolat, and Raoul Duke are all played by the same person?"

I agree. Both of them are actors in the truest sense.

Krathoon on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Avengers seems to have a 96% on rottentomatoes. Here's hoping that number stays high.

This discussion has been closed.