As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    So! I made it down to the very last level of Watcher's Keep, but I can't take on Nalmissra and friends without Time Stop to even the odds.

Also it's amusing that DSimpson's FAQ is wrong there, he calls one of the key seal groups clerics when they are instead a group of ferrumach (rilmani). I would have prepared for a mage had I known.

Still, being over SoA's xp cap with a bunch of absurdly overpowered gear for this point in the game should treat me just fine until it's time for Tethyr.

Also, fuck flaming skulls and their explosions on death.

I'm still palling around, realized I need to finish Jaheira's romance for all the Chapter 6 stuff to work, so I'm just killing time until Terminsel shows up again.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can trap kill someone in twisted rune which makes the fight a bit easier

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I'm still palling around, realized I need to finish Jaheira's romance for all the Chapter 6 stuff to work, so I'm just killing time until Terminsel shows up again.

It's been a long time since I've done any of the romances to conclusion, am I pretty much screwed on mine since I'm still just before Jaheira goes back to the Harper hold for the final time? Or can I just wait it out when I get back to the surface but before I do the Bodhi stuff?

I dunno, this is the first time I've done them myself!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

It's been a long time since I've done any of the romances to conclusion, am I pretty much screwed on mine since I'm still just before Jaheira goes back to the Harper hold for the final time? Or can I just wait it out when I get back to the surface but before I do the Bodhi stuff?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Korodullin your psuedo-Let's Play is most entertaining.

Will you be tackling Kangaxx at any stage?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'll probably do Kangaxx and the Twisted Rune (along with more Watcher's Keep floors) in Chapter 6 once I get back out of the Underdark. My party was simply flat-out not strong enough to do more at the time I started Chapter 4.

There's also a very difficult semi-optional boss fight that Rogue Rebalancing adds that has a plethora of good loot in it that I'll also be doing. I've never done it before, so it should be a learning experience.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    You're making me sad that I lost my discs. And that I have... -2 dollars. Seems I should have written a letter to my bank to close my account sooner. Thanks bank for overdrafting me with your own monthly fees. Hope you don't expect me to actually pay you :D

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh hell yes, Shapiro's up to 7x backstabs now. I didn't even notice until just a few battles ago. He's a one-halfling murder machine now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    here's a helpful tip I turned up: jaheira's love talk stuff will only pop after sleeping in outdoor nature areas

so, you know, play awhile then go sleep in a forest

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    ESjeAh.jpg
    They really don't make manuals like this any more.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    here's a helpful tip I turned up: jaheira's love talk stuff will only pop after sleeping in outdoor nature areas

so, you know, play awhile then go sleep in a forest

Sadly there are no outdoor areas for me to go to yet, so that has to wait. She keeps repeating one of the particular LOVETALKs over and over though, presumably until the next one can trigger.

Rizzi wrote: »
    ESjeAh.jpg
    They really don't make manuals like this any more.

Is that the manual? I thought they were all metal spiral-bound manuals, or were the spiral-bound ones only some first printing?

Ah, or is that the collector's edition manual?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Yeah, my BG2 manual is spiral-bound.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Huh. I've never seen a spiral-bound one before.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yeah mine is spiral bound too. It's in a box somewhere...

I love that the manuals have tons of the spell/skill information completely wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Any word on an iOS release date?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    As far as I know there's no word on a release date for any platform besides "Summer 2012."

Also, I really need to start writing down what I put into my sequencers on my mages. I keep making these sequencers and then forgetting what's in them, so I end up casting Malison + Slow + Teleport Field when I thought that person had Stoneskin + Improved Invis + Haste.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    I want sequencers. And spell triggers. Contingencies!

Basically dammit Qilue and Aerie, get higher-level spells faster I don't care if you're both multiclassed

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    There's a minor contingency or sequencer at something like level 3 or 4 I think.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    i think the only use for minor sequencer is comboing mirrored image/blur for defensive purposes

or you can shoot double magic missiles if you so desire

• Options
    edited April 2012
    If you're over the SoA XP cap and still at the end of Chapter 2, you should still have at least one level 8 spell slot for your mages by then.

I can't wait for Spell Revisions v4 to make all the sequencer and contingency spells innate for all mages as they level up. Currently I have a stack of 50 of each sequencer and contingency scroll in both Imoen and Xan's inventories (I'll add in Chain Contingency once they can cast level 9 spells naturally) so I don't have to rest as often to set up sequencers.

Edit: And Minor Sequencers can do some surprisingly powerful things if you're willing to finagle it a bit. Grease + Horror is a very potent combination and Spook + Acid Arrow (or Agannazar's Scorcher if you use Spell Revisions) is surprisingly useful, since Spook's save continues to get harder to make up until level 12, and Acid Arrow means the Spooked enemy will be taking constant damage all the while yet freeing you up to cast other things.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    With all of that said, I mentioned before about a cloak problem. I have a ton of really awesome cloaks but only six backs to put them on. With the cloak list for a reference on what the cloaks do with Item Revisions, anyone have any suggestions on any better people to have these various cloaks put on to?
    Semaj's Cloak - Callic [not in IR; it gives 10% magic resist and acts like a Blur spell for +3 AC and +3 saves vs. spell]
    Cloak of Mirroring - Jaheira
    Improved Cloak of Protection +2 - Xan
    Cloak of the Shield - Imoen
    Stormlord's Cloak - Mazzy
    Cloak of Non-Detection - Shapiro
    Cloak of the Sewers
    Nature's Vengeance
    Cloak of Balduran

Can you dig up some AC bracers to give Imoen? If so, I'd put the Cloak of Balduran on her, even if it meant losing a couple net points of AC. Mind you, I haven't used SCS yet, so I don't know if its AI mages actually cast their magic missiles tactically (instead of as a last resort when their spellbooks are almost empty, like in vanilla). If they do, the Cloak of the Shield's immunity to magic missile might be worth a bit more than I'm giving it credit for.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Fanda wrote: »
    With all of that said, I mentioned before about a cloak problem. I have a ton of really awesome cloaks but only six backs to put them on. With the cloak list for a reference on what the cloaks do with Item Revisions, anyone have any suggestions on any better people to have these various cloaks put on to?
    Semaj's Cloak - Callic [not in IR; it gives 10% magic resist and acts like a Blur spell for +3 AC and +3 saves vs. spell]
    Cloak of Mirroring - Jaheira
    Improved Cloak of Protection +2 - Xan
    Cloak of the Shield - Imoen
    Stormlord's Cloak - Mazzy
    Cloak of Non-Detection - Shapiro
    Cloak of the Sewers
    Nature's Vengeance
    Cloak of Balduran

Can you dig up some AC bracers to give Imoen? If so, I'd put the Cloak of Balduran on her, even if it meant losing a couple net points of AC. Mind you, I haven't used SCS yet, so I don't know if its AI mages actually cast their magic missiles tactically (instead of as a last resort when their spellbooks are almost empty, like in vanilla). If they do, the Cloak of the Shield's immunity to magic missile might be worth a bit more than I'm giving it credit for.

I could have Imoen put away her spare Bracers of Archery (she still only has 9 THAC0 with them equipped, even with her ridiculously high DEX) and equip the second pair of AC4 bracers I just got for 1 more AC, even though she generally runs the Mage Armor spell most times, which actually gets her down to 3 base AC instead.

SCS's mages do cast spells a bit more intelligently, but there's two things about that. The first thing is that they do it very intelligently; SCS runs item detection scripts which means enemies will know who's immune to what and will avoid casting stuff against them that won't work. They'll maybe do one or two spells to mimic attacking an unknown opponent but then switch targets. The second thing is that past BG1, if an SCS mage of any decent level is casting Magic Missiles on you then he's out of pretty much everything else, the battle's likely gone on for an inordinately long time, and half your party is probably already dead. Many SCS mages prefer Melf's Minute Meteors for tactical disruptions over Magic Missile, probably because they can lob them between spellcasts or while silenced. There have been so many times where Imoen or Xan or Jan would start casting something and then all of the sudden ~foomph~ they get smacked by a minute meteor out of nowhere.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Well, into Chapter 3 and I'm still not free of Jaheira. I've slept with her, but Terminsel hasn't shown up a second time to give her her pin.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Well, into Chapter 3 and I'm still not free of Jaheira. I've slept with her, but Terminsel hasn't shown up a second time to give her her pin.

I believe that's based in real play time, not in-game time. Try pausing the game and leaving it on overnight; that usually provokes time-based stuff for me.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

I believe that's based in real play time, not in-game time. Try pausing the game and leaving it on overnight; that usually provokes time-based stuff for me.

He showed up just after I went to the Five Flagons Inn in Chapter 3. No point to picking up Haer'dalis for one dungeon, so I'll see him in Chapter 6.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options

He showed up just after I went to the Five Flagons Inn in Chapter 3. No point to picking up Haer'dalis for one dungeon, so I'll see him in Chapter 6.

Oh yes, it also might be because he might not show up until after you've gone through the Underdark. I forgot that part. It's been a while.

• Options

Oh yes, it also might be because he might not show up until after you've gone through the Underdark. I forgot that part. It's been a while.

No no, Terminsel showed up now in Chapter 3. Just no point swapping out Jaheira for Haer'Dalis now when I need to take Yoshimo for Chapter 4 anyway.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This time I'm killing the shadow thieves dangit. I can get Edwin first I think.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aw man, Baldur's Gate.

That's a game that knows how to make a player feel good.

Most epic character was a sick Kensai/Mage combo that I played solo from level 1 in BG I (Using the mod to play BG I in the BG II engine) all the way to the end of Shadows of Amn.

It was a long playthrough, but by the end I felt like a veritable badass.

Hell, I wasn't even fighting my own fights anymore. I'd opened up the XP cap to make the most of solo XP gains and towards the end of BG II I would summon a Simulacrum of my character along with some invisible seeing eye to guide it and I would clear out maps with that. Because that's how tough my guy was, he couldn't be bothered to fight these chumps himself... Granted sometimes the eye would get killed and make my Simulacrum disappear (can't have a clone where you can no longer see) or he'd get honest to goodness killed, but then I got to pull the "Ha! You think that's my real head?!" schtick and summon another.

Once I got to SoA and people were pleading for mercy just because they had heard tale of my character and decided they should commence with the begging, I would puff out my chest and respond "Damn straight. Re-spect".

Anid Maro on
  • Options
    Man Jaheira pretty much breaks your heart if you remove her from the party after sex. That felt pretty bad, but I need Yoshimo for Chapter 4 anyway.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Still (slowly) trudging through the Underdark. I haven't even gotten to the Beholder or Illithid lairs yet. I don't know why I have such a hard time mustering up the willpower to get through this chapter.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    I somehow hit a bug and now I have Inifinite Spellbooks of Infinite Spells. :rotate:

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    The worst thing about a mixed-alignment party: Holy Word will affect any Evil characters in your group. Not too bad when your only Evil person is an Assassin with more levels than your Cleric, but if you're a largely Good party with a multiclass protagonist and your only Cleric is Viconia...

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Mazzy and Keldorn with Boots of Speed: ZOOM go the kamikaze paladins.

Also I am really getting annoyed with whatever bug is destroying stuff in my inventory. First my scroll case, then the glasses of identification.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I bumped Minsc from my party for Mazzy, because I've never used her before. The evil play through is on hiatus because I guess the lack of evil theives means I need to create on as the charname. Or I guess I could go with Jan and Yoshimo. Hm.

• Options
    I kind of want to do an evil playthrough after this but it'd take some NPC mods, I think. Like you can get Valen and stuff.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    From what I've seen Valen is silly OP, but might be some others. Too bad you can't multiclass Sorc and Thief or something.

Bigity on
  • Options
    I might do it with SCS, in which case silly OP is just evening the field.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I wish one of the various efforts to rebalance Valen would have come to fruition. Turning her into a single class thief and bringing her vamp powers back in line with regular vampires would be a good start.

• Options
    If you have a paladin in your party and an evil cleric, you can turn the paladin.

It's fuckin' hilarious.