As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    How does a skill like Hammer of the Ancients work when dual wielding? Does it average your two weapons, or does it actually alternate between using one weapon or the other?

Pretty sure the damage on hammer of the ancients comes from your combined damage value. So when you open your char sheet and look at your damage, that is the number it is using.

This is why I really wish they had the old D2 stats where it would show you your damage range for the abilities you slot to Mouse 1 and 2. That was super helpful.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    valiance wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I think I saw the normal attack a few times when I tried my non-free right-click skill when I was out of resources, or the cooldown wasn't done yet. So instead of standing there like a dope you get a weapon attack.

Wizard gets a little wand attack. pew pew!

So how does this darkness falls, heroes rise sigil unlock thing work?
    Like and share the content on this site, join the Mark of Valor contest, or submit your original interpretations of the Diablo universe in the Art contest to uncover the dark secrets locked away below.

In short the more you like and share sigils, art and other content on the reveal site, the more stuff gets revealed. Someone already messed with the site to get the descriptions of the unlocks, more info here.

More importantly there are 5 in-game banner sigils that are exclusively unlocked via creating a banner on the site(any banner will do) for each class as they're unveiled. There will be another window of opportunity shortly before launch to do them all again.

sweet! just what I needed to know. Thanks you two.
    FYI, the demon hunter cannot equip an offhand dagger. I tried :( You also cannot equip a dagger mainhand and a 1hand xbow offhand. So basically if you want to hold a dagger, you will always have an empty offhand.

And I am 99% sure that anything that increases crossbow damage would also increase the damage of any skills tied to that weapons damage. Aka every skill you will use
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why dual-wield Hand-Xbow Demon Hunter is so much better?

As an alternative, consider the single Hand-Xbow DH with a quiver, shooting 10% faster, and not alternating their best hand-xbow with their second-best one.

What am I missing here?

Dual wielding increases your attack speed by 15%

Not to be that guy but, source?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vke_bm42cNI

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks.

I posted this already, read my posts :P I'm useful!

and anecdotally I have never found a dual wield setup that beats a hand xbow + quiver setup. which is weird, as you'd think the 15% IAS from dual wielding would always outweigh the 10% IAS on the quiver

valiance on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why dual-wield Hand-Xbow Demon Hunter is so much better?

As an alternative, consider the single Hand-Xbow DH with a quiver, shooting 10% faster, and not alternating their best hand-xbow with their second-best one.

What am I missing here?

The main reason never to use a quiver with a 1H XBow is because you could be using a 2H Bow with that quiver instead and doing way more damage. So given that you have a 1H weapon equipped, I'm assuming the perks of dual wielding or using a shield will be enough to offset that.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

What am I missing here?

The main reason never to use a quiver with a 1H XBow is because you could be using a 2H Bow with that quiver instead and doing way more damage. So given that you have a 1H weapon equipped, I'm assuming the perks of dual wielding or using a shield will be enough to offset that.

I was gonna say this...quivers are about making full bows competitive with dual wielded XBows, not to make one-hand XBow super viable.

As a side note, I prefer full bow DH's to double XBox. I like the bigger hit potential of the full bows. With good stutter step micro, the extra attack speed of duelies really don't matter much. You just stutter step your way through anything.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    How does a skill like Hammer of the Ancients work when dual wielding? Does it average your two weapons, or does it actually alternate between using one weapon or the other?

Pretty sure the damage on hammer of the ancients comes from your combined damage value. So when you open your char sheet and look at your damage, that is the number it is using.

This is why I really wish they had the old D2 stats where it would show you your damage range for the abilities you slot to Mouse 1 and 2. That was super helpful.

If only the numbers on the Lying Character Screen could ever be trusted. :P

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think I saw the normal attack a few times when I tried my non-free right-click skill when I was out of resources, or the cooldown wasn't done yet. So instead of standing there like a dope you get a weapon attack.

Exactly. It is to insure that you will never be in a situation where you are doing absolutely nothing.
    The last time I played (and this could have been fixed), there were some bizarre exceptions to this. For example, various WD spells didn't default to auto-attack when out of mana or on cooldown (e.g., jar of spiders, grasp of the dead).

So, my friend's laptop has a GeForce 9600M GT video card in it. Is he fucked for being able to play D3? It's a fair bit worse of a performer than what Blizzard listed as the minimum requirements (GeForce 7800 GT, I believe). He claims when he tried to download or install the open beta this weekend that it wouldn't let him because of his system. He's pretty computer-illiterate and I wasn't there to see this, so I don't actually know what error he got (apparently there were errors abound this weekend, even for people with good systems). I'd like to hope he can at least run it on shitty settings, but I get the feeling that the rather old and weak video card might stop him. Thoughts anyone?

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Actually that damage value is DPS, so if you are dual wielding you will do less per strike, but be able to do it more often. In the barbarians case it works out because you will be generating fury faster with two weapons.

edit: Dur, misread the question.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

What am I missing here?

I was gonna say this...quivers are about making full bows competitive with dual wielded XBows, not to make one-hand XBow super viable.

As a side note, I prefer full bow DH's to double XBox. I like the bigger hit potential of the full bows. With good stutter step micro, the extra attack speed of duelies really don't matter much. You just stutter step your way through anything.

I never realized this. Granted, in the beta by far the best xbows available are 1 handed DH specific xbows from the fence, but in future this is useful to know.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: scratch that, not working.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Exactly. It is to insure that you will never be in a situation where you are doing absolutely nothing.
    The last time I played (and this could have been fixed), there were some bizarre exceptions to this. For example, various WD spells didn't default to auto-attack when out of mana or on cooldown (e.g., jar of spiders, grasp of the dead).

So, my friend's laptop has a GeForce 9600M GT video card in it. Is he fucked for being able to play D3? It's a fair bit worse of a performer than what Blizzard listed as the minimum requirements (GeForce 7800 GT, I believe). He claims when he tried to download or install the open beta this weekend that it wouldn't let him because of his system. He's pretty computer-illiterate and I wasn't there to see this, so I don't actually know what error he got (apparently there were errors abound this weekend, even for people with good systems). I'd like to hope he can at least run it on shitty settings, but I get the feeling that the rather old and weak video card might stop him. Thoughts anyone?

that's the very same card that i have in my laptop and D3 runs fine on medium-high settings

• Options

that's the very same card that i have in my laptop and D3 runs fine on medium-high settings
    Really? Why would they list a superior card as the "minimum requirements"? That's at least encouraging, then. I'll tell him to hold off until the game releases at least before he considers buying a new laptop/hanging himself.

• Options
    Listening to Diablo music on the classic battle.net music player makes everything you do online better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular

I remember seeing the 9600M GT on the official D3 video card list as capable of running the game on "medium" settings. This was when the beta first launched last year and I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I have a 2009 laptop with a 9600M GT (256MB VRAM) and I was able to run the D3 beta very well this weekend. Fullscreen resolution (1440 x 900), high detail textures, medium shadows, low visual fx, no anti-aliasing. The game was really smooth and rarely stuttered, and it looked great. Made the laptop super hot and the cooling fan was working overtime, but I had no problems with the game itself. I think your friend should be fine. I was worried for the longest time that the laptop would not be able to handle D3, but now I'm convinced after playing the open beta.

Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skab wrote: »
    Listening to Diablo music on the classic battle.net music player makes everything you do online better.

But then strangely depressing when you realize that
    Everyone from Diablo I outside of Deckard Cain is dead. No exceptions. This includes the three player characters.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Everyone from Diablo I outside of Deckard Cain is dead. No exceptions. This includes the three player characters.
    Diablo isn't.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Diablo isn't.
    Everyone that can die from Diablo I outside of Deckard Cain is dead. No exceptions. This includes the three player characters.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Well,
    we killed the player characters in D2, right? Rogue = Blood Raven, Sorcerer = Summoner, Warrior = Wanderer, who I assumed died at the end of vanilla D2.

• Options
    I think its safe to not spoiler that, guys. Diablo 2 has been out for almost 12 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sneakman wrote: »

I remember seeing the 9600M GT on the official D3 video card list as capable of running the game on "medium" settings. This was when the beta first launched last year and I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I have a 2009 laptop with a 9600M GT (256MB VRAM) and I was able to run the D3 beta very well this weekend. Fullscreen resolution (1440 x 900), high detail textures, medium shadows, low visual fx, no anti-aliasing. The game was really smooth and rarely stuttered, and it looked great. Made the laptop super hot and the cooling fan was working overtime, but I had no problems with the game itself. I think your friend should be fine. I was worried for the longest time that the laptop would not be able to handle D3, but now I'm convinced after playing the open beta.
    Thanks, guys. This is encouraging. My friend was pretty distraught last night and there wasn't much I could do for him since it seemed like his hardware was below specs.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Since I only played the open beta and only for a short time can someone explain how to tell which provides more DPS when dual wielding weapons vs a single 2 handed one.

Like if I have two swords, one at 8.1 DPS and one 7.3 DPS and a two hander at 12.2. Which does more damage? What is the effective DPS for the two 1 handers(its not as simple as adding the two is it)?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Since I only played the open beta and only for a short time can someone explain how to tell which provides more DPS when dual wielding weapons vs a single 2 handed one.

Like if I have two swords, one at 8.1 DPS and one 7.3 DPS and a two hander at 12.2. Which does more damage? What is the effective DPS for the two 1 handers(its not as simple as adding the two is it)?

Open character info, equip 2 hander, equip dual weapons. Compare numbers.

Also watch this vid that has been posted only one page ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vke_bm42cNI

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think its safe to not spoiler that, guys. Diablo 2 has been out for almost 12 years.

I just wanted to fit in...

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

The long and short of it is that when dual wielding your effective DPS is the average of the two weapons, +15% attack speed. Which it calculates for you in the DPS display of stat screen.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

I've just recently gotten into Diablo, so I appreciate it.

See, there's always that one person!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

As wrong and backwards as it might sound, Torchlight got me interested in Diablo.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

As wrong and backwards as it might sound, Torchlight got me interested in Diablo.

Same here. I'm trying to play some more Torchlight to tide me over. It suffices. That's about it.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Hyperion wrote: »
    FYI, the demon hunter cannot equip an offhand dagger. I tried :( You also cannot equip a dagger mainhand and a 1hand xbow offhand. So basically if you want to hold a dagger, you will always have an empty offhand.

And I am 99% sure that anything that increases crossbow damage would also increase the damage of any skills tied to that weapons damage. Aka every skill you will use

Pretty sure every class can use a shield in the offhand.

I want to say that when I played a monk last weekend, it wouldn't let me put a shield in my offhand. Could be wrong though.

Also, hi Diablo 3 thread! I'm going to be playing this game soon. That is all.

I know right. I was going to wait for another, cheaper alternative game instead. But after the weekend stress test...uhhh...can't wait for Diablo 3.

Yeah, I had no desire for this game at all. I played the first one, loved it, then....did other things for 15 years, I guess. I knew this was coming out and it looked cool, but didn't really care too much. But then I played the free weekend, and....shit. Pretty much HAVE to buy it now, I s'pose.

Also, good to know about Monks using shields. Sorry for spreading incorrect info.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Same here. I'm trying to play some more Torchlight to tide me over. It suffices. That's about it.

I have too. Started a new playthrough with the Vanquisher, and I'll probably buy 2 at some point. But yeah, Diablo 3 is going to keep me busy for awhile.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

that's not backwards, that's perfect. you're going in the right direction.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I found out today that my summer job doesn't start until 3 weeks after finals.

What I mean is, my Diablo time won't unnecessarily interrupted for 3 weeks.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I've been trying to play Torchlight and I just am not enjoying it.

Also thanks to everyone who's responded about the hardware questions. I think I'll try and grab a ~$100 video card and see how that goes.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    For those looking for a nice in-depth comparison to the benefits of D3 over D2, check this out: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

made me a lot more confident about the mechanics.

That link is posted on that page literally <10 posts up haha. It really is worth looking at though guys.

Can we get this linked to in the OP?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

Actually that damage value is DPS, so if you are dual wielding you will do less per strike, but be able to do it more often. In the barbarians case it works out because you will be generating fury faster with two weapons.

edit: Dur, misread the question.
    Actually there was a change awhile back where all skill damage come from the main hand weapon.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that's not true, or at least it bears no resemblance to what I tested during the weekend.

For example, putting a 16 dps crossbow in my mainhand and a 3 dps in the offhand produced a situation where Rapid fire would hit for ~8 damage and ~1 damage on alternating ticks. Similar behavior was observed on the Monk.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Heh I totally never noticed the total DPS line on the character screen when playing the open beta.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I've been trying to play Torchlight and I just am not enjoying it.

I bought it hoping it would sate my need for a hack'n'slash dungeon crawler. Really, Blizzard almost missed the boat on that one. Waiting 10 years for D3 was far, far too long. I hear Torchlight 2 is going to be pretty fantastic, but then again, what game isn't hyped these days?

All I need is a Deckard Cain voice emulator and I'll be pretty set for the rest of my life.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    UNNNGNGGGHGHGHHH want this game to be out. Three more whole weeks...
    I was really impressed with pretty much everything I saw in my limited time with the beta. I really liked the new graphics on weapons showing the additional damage they do (ie bright yellow back for Holy, purple circley stuff for Arcane, etc). I thought those all looked really cool. I only even tried two of the classes during the free weekend, but the few abilites I used all looked gorgeous and I was already making my own sound effects for everything (my wife commented while I was playing that it sounded like I was talking to someone else in the game. I was playing solo).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I played around with a wizard today, I haven't played through the beta since patch 11 or something. I really like the rune system, that's really nice and going to be a lot less frustrating than waiting for random drops. I also liked the crafting, which I played around with a bit. It'll be a nice money sink. I must be the only one here who likes the new UI too, it explains a bit better how certain skills are free and you should always have a free skill on your bar; the old system didn't explain that as well.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I never really played around with Magic Find much in D2.. I suppose I wasn't that "hardcore", but crikey, I put nothing but MF items on my Witch Doctor in a recent playthrough and blues seem to rain from the sky.. including more and better MF items. Its essentially exponential loot. Whee.

I think I may spend the majority of Normal difficulty in MF gear, since it shouldn't be too hard to kill stuff with less than ideal stat buffs.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shurakai wrote: »
    I never really played around with Magic Find much in D2.. I suppose I wasn't that "hardcore", but crikey, I put nothing but MF items on my Witch Doctor in a recent playthrough and blues seem to rain from the sky.. including more and better MF items. Its essentially exponential loot. Whee.

I think I may spend the majority of Normal difficulty in MF gear, since it shouldn't be too hard to kill stuff with less than ideal stat buffs.
    In D2 there was a fine balance between kill speed (and survivability if you're hardcore) and MF. You will be wanting to carry as much of the stuff into inferno as you can.

Anyway, you've taken your first steps. That slight rush you're getting when those blues drop will be amplified tenfold when it's yellows... and a thousandfold for reds. It doesn't take long to get hooked on this stuff, believe me.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
This discussion has been closed.