As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, April 23, 2012 - He Are The Champion

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    hah, this is how I often feel when starting online PvP games.

"I won my very first match! I should quit now while I have a perfect win record."

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Red Eyes return!

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Come on, Krahulik is actually working on putting a portfolio together to pitch to animation studios or something. The increasing range in expressions, and I really like the props/background in this one. I'm calling it now, he's cutting Jerry off and running off as an independent animator or something.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I'm loving the faces so much this year

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    They must be playing Hero Academy.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »
    Come on, Krahulik is actually working on putting a portfolio together to pitch to animation studios or something. The increasing range in expressions, and I really like the props/background in this one. I'm calling it now, he's cutting Jerry off and running off as an independent animator or something.

Uh. . .

first of all you understand he makes more as a webcomic artist than he would as an animator right? Like easily double and he partially owns everything he makes.

And Second the guys already have movie project in the works.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    gosh it's so weird to look at Gabe's evolution as an artist

like he's come sooooo far

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ....what's with all the awkward expressions lately?

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »

Uh. . .

first of all you understand he makes more as a webcomic artist than he would as an animator right? Like easily double and he partially owns everything he makes.

And Second the guys already have movie project in the works.

First of all, yes, I do understand - both of these things. But when I was making above humorous (maybe not in the way of funny but in the way of not meant seriously - it was a compliment, really) comment, I was envisioning something more like his own series than to do animator drudgework.

And second, they sold the rights to the movie, their involvement isn't clear, probably marginal if that (though I don't know), so they probably made all the money they get out of it.

What I originally meant to say, masterful veiling aside: Those three panels are really vivid, and in my mind's eye genuinely play out like a scene from some animation and the recent further improvement of the art style simply reflects, as @Pony pointed out, the entire development of Penny Arcade, artistically. I would hardly call those first... x number of years "artistic", but the current work is excellent, even on a professional level.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I love the face in panel 3 a whole bunch. I look forward to the Comic Edits it will spawn.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Actually this whole comic is an awful lot like an edit

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Wonderful expression in panel three, but something about the red eyes seems out of place here. Nitpickery aside, a fun comic.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I have done this, exactly this, the only time in my life that I played checkers.

• Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone in noticing the changing art style.
    In panel 2, I'm seeing.... a little bit of the Power Puff Girls?
    Makes me think of the resigned frown when Princess stole Christmas and the girls all got coal.
    Wow, I feel like I gotta watch me some Dexter's Lab now...

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite part of this strip is the Gabe shadow. It really gives depth to the artwork.

• Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    agilemania wrote: »
    I think my favorite part of this strip is the Gabe shadow. It really gives depth to the artwork.

I just now noticed that.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    ....what's with all the awesome expressions lately?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    excellent comic. hits home. hits deep.

I am also looking forward to a new product I'm demanding.

one of those "today my mood is:" magnet dealies and you can choose from the various awesome faces we've been getting lately

today my mood is twitter.jpg

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wait what happened here then

215176636_2msey-L-2.jpg

or... no maybe I read the comic wrong

Jars on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    From the newspost:
    Functionally speaking, the comic is about Hero Academy
    ... it is?

• Options
    Oh yeah, the comic. I like the third panel Tychoface, but the dialog is not at all fitting for it. "That's ridiculous" + angriest hateface ever = odd disconnect.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Just to be sure, I can't run iphone/ipad apps on my pc via itunes or anything, can I?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

I wonder if Mike ever turns that into a competition, even jokingly. "Dude, you need to write better, you're holding back my awesome art"

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

I wonder if Mike ever turns that into a competition, even jokingly. "Dude, you need to write better, you're holding back my awesome art"

I remember him saying something like that a few times in the podcast.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    wait what happened here then

215176636_2msey-L-2.jpg

or... no maybe I read the comic wrong

Today's Panel 2 Gabe said that he won every game of Hero Academy, not every game he's played against Tycho.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the comic. I like the third panel Tychoface, but the dialog is not at all fitting for it. "That's ridiculous" + angriest hateface ever = odd disconnect.

my assumption is that "that's ridiculous" is the response to gabe's previous statement. the hateface is the response to his final statement

• Options
    forty wrote: »

my assumption is that "that's ridiculous" is the response to gabe's previous statement. the hateface is the response to his final statement
    Good point. Oddly formatted comic.