As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Allforce wrote: »
    There is WAYYYY too much info going on-screen. The pawns are all speaking at the same time, I can't even make sense of any of it.

There are options to turn off the subtitles for pawn speech, removing the on screen controls and removing health bars and pawn names. That should help to clear the screen a bit, especially when you have learned the controls for a class setup.

*edit* But yeah, you are right. Vanilla HUD is very cluttered.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Ahh thanks, I kind of gave the demo a half-ass turn while doing shit at work so I didn't mess around too much with options. I played the first mission and was like "this is insanity" and turned it off for awhile.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There is WAYYYY too much info going on-screen. The pawns are all speaking at the same time, I can't even make sense of any of it.

There are options to turn off the subtitles for pawn speech, removing the on screen controls and removing health bars and pawn names. That should help to clear the screen a bit, especially when you have learned the controls for a class setup.

*edit* But yeah, you are right. Vanilla HUD is very cluttered.

Oh, oh shit.

This right here? This is what I wanted to hear.

Just had a toy with these options. With all of the above off all you have on screen is the minimap. Makes the game look and feel great but unfortunately you would have to keep going into your inventory to check on your health and stamina, etc.

I think I will roll with party only. I don't have to see a large enemies health bar to know I am hurting them. Visual cues like the blood on the griffon's head, etc should be enough. Even if not just the removal of the controls and pawn subtitles is already a great thing.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Can you change these options in the demo?

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Can you change these options in the demo?

Yes.

edited April 2012
    Oh man I really, really can't get enough of this demo.

Leapt from a rock onto the griffon's head as it flew by and it tried to take off but I stabbed it over and over sending it crashing to the ground. Forgive me if I am gushing but what the fuck I am. Totally am.

Smitten. Totally smitten. I mean, goddamn. And it's like playing a whole different game with half the HUD now off. There will be times where I will turn off everything including the minimap and just wander the world.

John Zoidberg on
    It is a real shame that. Would have been a better demonstration if they had given you a decent chunk of land like the Just Cause 2 demo and just put a timer on the exploration. Plop down a couple of big enemies and have a choice of pre-built classes.

But heck, still impressed.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Is the game permanently letterboxed, RE4 style? Normally I wouldn't mind, but the large amount of data onscreen makes it feel cramped. I guess I'll just mess around with the options and see if I can make it more comfortable.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy fuck...

This game is SHIT HOT. My pawns distracted the chimera as I sprinted behind it, jumped up, grabbed on and chopped the snake right off its ass.

Dont even get me started on the Gryphon! Just... Wow. Amazing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    Is the game permanently letterboxed, RE4 style? Normally I wouldn't mind, but the large amount of data onscreen makes it feel cramped. I guess I'll just mess around with the options and see if I can make it more comfortable.

Yeah this is driving me nuts, too. I wanna love it (MEDIEVAL MONSTER HUNTER? YES) but I can't handle the damn HUD/letterboxing.

PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried both the PS3 and 360 versions yet and compared them?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Has anyone tried both the PS3 and 360 versions yet and compared them?
    I don't even know if the PSN version is out yet.

I'm downloading it now. After it finishes I'll download the 360 version, too, and try them side-by-side. I was just curious if anyone has beaten me to the punch.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Maybe it is because I was so busy fighting monsters...but I honestly didn't even notice the HUD.

I actually had to stop myself for a moment just to check and see where my HP/Stamina was located.

Yeah this is driving me nuts, too. I wanna love it (MEDIEVAL MONSTER HUNTER? YES) but I can't handle the damn HUD/letterboxing.

I'm fine with letterboxing....in films. Where it's reasoning is because that's what the film was shot on and how it's displayed in a cinema. There is literally no reason to have 2:40:1 aspect ratio in a videogame other than trying to be stylistic, which can work in some cases but mostly it's just sacrificing screen real estate for no good reason at all that I can think of.

There is no option I can see in here to change it either, which is ridiculous.

Now i honestly dont know which class i wanna play...

I wish the demo gave me a shot at mage-ing. Will I be able to add elemental effects to my pawns' weapons? Like the mage pawn in the prologue.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Now that I think about it I guess they might have done the letterboxing just due to technical limits.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Now that I think about it I guess they might have done the letterboxing just due to technical limits.

Was about to mention but yeah I remember them saying this was why it was letterboxed.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.

Yeah, I think this is just another RE4 scenario.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Parrot time!

The demo was sorely lacking in content but thecontrols and general gameplay were awesome.

One concern I have, though, is that the demo was too goddamn easy. I was expecting Monster Hunter difficulty, not baby difficulty.

Hopefuly you're overlevelled in the demo.

I wondered that as well, seems like all your party is at level 20 for that Peter Griffin mission, so yeah, I don't think you'll be that tough for awhile.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I didn't even think the 360 demo was available yet? I checked the marketplace and all I can do is rate things. I thought the download was available tomorrow.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited April 2012
    I didn't even think the 360 demo was available yet? I checked the marketplace and all I can do is rate things. I thought the download was available tomorrow.

The US demo is available now. The EU demo isn't up yet but it should be sometime soon thanks to time zones.

Dashui on
    Quick question!

I've been skipping on most of the videos. For those who have seen the videos, does it seem like Rogue characters get to jump on monsters and attack them while hanging on?

edited April 2012
    I'm downloading it now. After it finishes I'll download the 360 version, too, and try them side-by-side. I was just curious if anyone has beaten me to the punch.
    Care to report? Should I go try the PSN version after playing the XBL one?

I'm just about done downloading the Xbox 360 version. I'm going to start up both in just a few more minutes and compare the two.

Dashui on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Quick question!

I've been skipping on most of the videos. For those who have seen the videos, does it seem like Rogue characters get to jump on monsters and attack them while hanging on?

The only classes that don't seem to enjoy hanging on monsters so far are the pure magic ones. I imagine Assassin and Rogue will be able to do it more effectively since they have various status inflictions and traps.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Quick question!

The only classes that don't seem to enjoy hanging on monsters so far are the pure magic ones. I imagine Assassin and Rogue will be able to do it more effectively since they have various status inflictions and traps.

Also, if you try to do a heavy attack while hanging on the chimera as the warrior, it seems like he alwas falls off. The Rogue, however, can do heavy stabs an not fall off the griffen.

The game is so awesome, i cannot wait for the full version

edited April 2012
    I'm playing both side-by-side now. I noticed screen tearing in the 360 version during the character creator - which is something MT Framework games on that platform usually suffer from - but during actual gameplay I'm not seeing it anymore. Visually they both seem to look and perform the same. There's pop-in, of course, but so far I can't tell if there's more or less on one particular platform.

The thing it has come down to in the end, something subjective for each person, is the controller. The 360 controller just feels better in my hands, particularly for ranged attacks.

Dashui on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wow this game has the worst HUD and interface ever!

just dozens of bars and meters flying everywhere and my companions going fucking NUTS over everything

HOLY SHIT I WILL HEAL YOU THIS CORPSE CAN BE USED AS BAIT I'LL THROW YOU NO WAIT DON'T ATTACK BLINDLY KILL THAT OX WE CAN USE IT AS MEAT LATER

like, dude. shut the fuck up. i'm clinging to a griffin, you jackass.

i'll have to try it again after turning all that shit off. the gameplay itself was pretty solid though it seems bizarre that there's no dodge roll option.

Evil Multifarious on
    I didn't have any problem with the HUD, and the pawns seemed less obnoxious than I thought they'd be from early previews.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    there actually is a dodge roll which isn't terribly agile, though I agree with the rest of your post. the demo felt really frantic and loose to me, and I'm really curious about what sort of modifiers and bonuses go into clinging to different monsters, but the thing is too damn short to really do much besides pique my curiosity.

edited April 2012
    I didn't have any problem with the HUD, and the pawns seemed less obnoxious than I thought they'd be from early previews.

the HUD - your health bars and fatigue bar, and the pawns' names, health bars, and subtitles, monster health bars, and the controller layout circle - takes up most of the real estate on a screen that is already letterboxed

steve jobs is rolling in his grave!

this is a very common Capcom design issue, I find - they love huge bright flashing lights and overstimulating displays and numbers and bars and shit. they end up turning half their games into explosive glittering arcade pyrotechnics, even when it's unsuitable.

fortunately this shouldn't matter at all, since they let you customize all that stuff in the options.

i hadn't watched many videos but the pawns are incredibly annoying and are constantly shouting about every single thing that occurs to them, often non-sequiturs and absurdities. the audio and video of the game was an assault on my senses.

i hope there is a volume bar for pawns specifically.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if the full game will be letter-boxed. I didn't notice such a thing in the live streams, OXM footage, etc, but perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention. After a little while, though, I stopped seeing it in the demo as I was focusing on the griffin.

Dashui on
    i have to say i definitely didn't see the letterboxing while being dive bombed by a griffin, yeah, and the cramped feeling is mitigated when you turn off the HUD

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I can definitely say I don't really like the archery (limited as it is) from the demo. Melee feels nice and meaty, as it should, and I feel like I can get more mileage out of that. Just wish I could test some mage powers, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Well, it sure was cool for the demo to default to Rogue, with a Warrior pawn. Those were the choices I was planning on going with in the game anyway!

You can multi-class right? If I can get some spells as a Rogue I'd be in heaven.

• PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    At one point during the griffin fight, there was a lull in the battle while the grif was airborne. "Hrm, what do I do now..."

And then a goblin fell out of the sky. It made an exquisitely satisfying flumpf sound as it crashed into the earth.

Game of the year.

brig_banner.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guys, you can turn off all the annoying HUD elements in options. That includes the stupid 'cinematic' slo-mos.

Also, do yourself a favor and solo the Prologue dungeon. Just throw your main pawn off a cliff first chance and don't use the summon stone. The game becomes five times more awesome.

I love how this game is the bastard lovechild of DMC, Monster Hunter and D. Souls, especially if you go solo. The sword/shield combo is basically Dante's fucking Rebellion! I was fighting a fucking Monster Hunter boss with fucking Dante! How cool is that!

EVOL on
    edited April 2012
    You can multi-class right? If I can get some spells as a Rogue I'd be in heaven.
    Not precisely. Certain classes can equip weapons and spells.

He could be a magic archer, though. They still get daggers in addition to their bows and spells.

I think I might go that route. I had wanted to go Assassin for the swords, but the daggers are actually a lot of fun.

Dashui on
    I think ive settled on the Strider class. Shooting the griffen down with the bow is boss as fuck.

This discussion has been closed.