As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Raid: Redemption is fuckin' incredible (so are other kung-fu movies)

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    also the title was basically forced on them for NA distro because there's something else called The Raid already

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I kind of wish they'd just not bothered with "plot" and "characters"

because the plot didn't make sense and the characters were thinner than office paper.

It's a fun movie to watch, a reminder of what western directors could learn from eastern fight scenes (nary a shaky cam), but it could have been a whole lot better with some more attention paid to the writing.

For example
    The movie is called The Raid: Redemption and
    There is not a single moment of redemption. Nobody redeems themselves in this movie. The good guys are always good, the bad guys are always bad. The brother doesn't even redeem himself. He helps his brother survive, then goes right back to being an unrepentant criminal, only now without anybody outranking him.

It was just called The Raid. Then it changed for some reason upon crossing over.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I mean it didn't have camera motion that intentionally obscured the action.

ah okay

that ain't shaky cam though, that's director's trying to cheat because they don't know how to choreograph a fight

yeah that's not a shaky cam thing per se

that's a michael bay thing

look at how greengrass directed the second and third Bourne movies using nothing BUT shakycam

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    also the title was basically forced on them for NA distro because there's something else called The Raid already

Ok fine so call it The Raid: Untouchable

or The Raid: Machete Paradise

or The Raid: Fridge Bomb

or anything else that makes sense.

intentionally poor framing to obscure the action

quick cut after quick cut after quick cut

shaky cam

all three of these are things used to make action scenes seem visceral

two of them by jerks who don't know how to direct an action sequence

didn't greengrass do a bunch of quick cuts in the bourne fight scenes

he's pretty much the only person who should be allowed to do shaky cam ever

speaking of which, saw a trailer for the new bourne movie with this

it doesn't look NEARLY as good as supremacy/ultimatum but it has jeremy renner punchin guys and blowing things up so that's ok

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

Ok, who are you blaming exactly?

b1ehrMM.gif

alliteration plus who actually gives a fuck the plot in this movie or ong bak or tom yum goong or chocolate or bangkok knockout or raging phoenix (ugh) or or or anyway the plot is just an excuse to hit guys in cool ways

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I think Greengrass was just using his filming technique that worked so well in Bloody Sunday an applying it to the Bourne franchise which was just unwise on his part.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I bought the Bourne Identity on bluray a couple weeks ago

that movie was such a welcome shake up to action flicks. Here we are 10 years later and its influence is all over the place.

didn't greengrass do a bunch of quick cuts in the bourne fight scenes

he's pretty much the only person who should be allowed to do shaky cam ever

speaking of which, saw a trailer for the new bourne movie with this

it doesn't look NEARLY as good as supremacy/ultimatum but it has jeremy renner punchin guys and blowing things up so that's ok

nope this is not true at all

as for quick cuts, he made use of them some but i'm talking like

the fight scene in the club in dark knight

which has all three of the things i listed being used at their absolute worst

god that scene was so shitty

wirehead26 wrote: »
    I think Greengrass was just using his filming technique that worked so well in Bloody Sunday an applying it to the Bourne franchise which was just unwise on his part.

wait what

the bourne sequels were fucking great

and had a great use of shaky cam

edited April 2012
    Alright, I watched The Raid before class.

It

was

awesome.

The only downside was that there was less than ten people in the theater, so I couldn't experience a roomful of people reacting to the more visceral parts of the movie.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

But it does make sense!
    When he saves his brother, Andi redeems himself. He proved that he wasn't worthless and a failure like his father believed him to be.

I understood the plot just fine. Unless simple = does not make sense somehow.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

this felt WAY LONGER when it happened

but this is not even the craziest fucking thing, that's
    when they stab the final opponent in the throat with a light bulb and he's squirting blood out through the broken tube and keeps on fighting until they pin him down and cut his throat with it

THE RAID IS BATSHIT INSANE

I think I liked the Tonfa/Knife sequence the best.

Mostly because I love Tonfa.

but it really really bugged me when he
    walked out again into the empty corridor after the scene where he hid in the wall, and completely unarmed, walked right past the weapons scattering the ground.

I think I liked the Tonfa/Knife sequence the best.

Mostly because I love Tonfa.

but it really really bugged me when he
    walked out again into the empty corridor after the scene where he hid in the wall, and completely unarmed, walked right past the weapons scattering the ground.

rama don't give a FUCK

Grey Ghost wrote: »

this felt WAY LONGER when it happened

but this is not even the craziest fucking thing, that's
    when they stab the final opponent in the throat with a light bulb and he's squirting blood out through the broken tube and keeps on fighting until they pin him down and cut his throat with it

THE RAID IS BATSHIT INSANE

Yeah, I saw it earlier today.

And when I saw the scene again on YouTube, I was amazed to find out how long it felt as opposed to how long it actually was.

b1ehrMM.gif
    yeah seriously it feels like five or ten minutes

there's just so much happening

edited April 2012
    I want a remake of Assault on Precinct 13, The Raid-style.

It'll just be The Raid set in an abandoned police station.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    get tony jaa and the guys that did the first ong bak/chocolate to do it

i like watching muay thai more than silat

silat's cool and fast and shit

but muay thai just LOOKS fuckin brutal there is no move that doesn't look like it could kill you

Man I love the carpenter version so much

What a great movie

Vann Diras wrote: »

What a great movie

I just watched an interview with the director of The Raid where he explains he took some inspiration from Carpenter because they didn't really have that many extras, so to create the effect of the team being under siege, they made heavy use of sound and gunshots from behind walls and stuff to imply a large number of attackers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMnJcJCux9k

b1ehrMM.gif
    i like watching muay thai more than silat

silat's cool and fast and shit

but muay thai just LOOKS fuckin brutal there is no move that doesn't look like it could kill you

Luckily, The Raid has a lot of knives. Perfect for silat.

b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2012
    i don't know a lot about silat

but isn't silat big on like angles of attack/defense and shit

and assuming that you're Really Fucked

because yeah that lends itself way better to a movie with a bunch of knives that muay thai would

Buttlord on

and assuming that you're Really Fucked

because yeah that lends itself way better to a movie with a bunch of knives that muay thai would

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_silat

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

What a great movie

As remakes of 'Assault On Precinct 13' go, French remake 'The Nest' is pretty decent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdu6lJijjx0

But the Carpenter version is still the superior version.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    buh all my friends suck

maybe i can get a couple to go tomorrow

Live closer

• Machete MasterMachete Master Registered User new member
    The best action movie I've seen in a decade, indeed!

It looks like it's more effective for close encounters. I still think Kungfu is the most versatile martial art. But Silat has this cool inner breathing technique (which Yayan "Mad Dog" Ruhian mastered) that he won't feel hurt at all though he get beaten up thousand times.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Guys this movie was so goddamn great. Saw it with TankHammer and QuantumTurk and the theater had beer and it was awesome.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    man. man. see it while it's still in theatres, if you like martial arts or tense, violent action flicks. we were one of three in our showing.

right now, i'm respecting it more than liking it -- too visceral at the moment -- but damn, it is well-made. good pacing, action, acting, music, and a perfectly serviceable plot with some clever moments. just... unrelentingly brutal, mostly (...mostly) realistic violence.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    how is that scene 2 minutes long

how

seriously that is just ridiculous, it feels like at least 10

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    there were so many moments when our theater would all YOOOOO together and laugh and things. A big YOOO that everyone did together that hasn't been mentioned yet is when
    he kicks a bad dude of one floor down the well to the next floor and the dude lands on his back on the ledge and just snaps. such a fucking crunch

ETqXK.png