As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Thrones 2nd ed. - Game 1 - My kingdom for a barrel

MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Critical Failures
The Current Map
King Robert Baratheon is dead, and the most important thing in the world is whether or not his wife the queen slept with her brother. The seven kingdoms rally against the evil of blond people and inbred princes, one ridiculous sex scene at a time. House Stark fights the injustice of a man murdered for fanatical devotion to technicalities. House Lannister fights to impose the will of blond people on the nation. House Greyjoy struggles against the shame of feeling up your sister. House Baratheon searches for a new war planning table after Lord Stannis knocked over and stained his last one. The other two houses haven't been in the show yet so who cares about them. One is green one is orange. FIGHT!

Objective: Be the one with the most castles/strongholds at the end of the 10th turn. Optionally, you win immediately if you ever control 7 castles/strongholds at any point.

Rulebook here.

FAQ

The Map:
boardnomergetest2.jpg

House Cards

House Card hand checklist:
pic1257909_md.jpg

This is going to be a game with a lot of firsts! Mostly first time players (2nd edition or otherwise), along with a first time host of anything!

Rules short version
1. Draw Westeros turn event cards, follow instructions. (does not happen 1st turn)
2. Everyone simultaneously and secretly must place one order in every area you have units in.
3. All orders revealed.
4. Each play by turn order (Iron Throne track) resolves one raid order until raid orders are done.
5. Each play by turn order (Iron Throne track) resolves one march (move) order until all moves and battles are done. Battles are just like Diplomacy except each player uses one card that adds 0-4 strength plus some special effects.
6. Power tokens (money) collected from area with consolidate power order.
7. Game ends immediately once one player acquires 7 strongholds/castles, or at the end of turn 10 where the one with the most castles/strongholds wins. No shared victories.
Rules Clarifications:
We're all going to fuck up some rules this game and we'll just have to roll with it. Here are some clarifications on the most commonly confused rules:

- You may only place orders in areas (land, sea, ports) you have units present. Simply having control (with power token or home territory) does not fulfill this condition.

- Having control does allow you to take advantage of the resource (supply, power token, castle muster) when the appropriate card comes up.

- You must place an order in every area you have units present in.

- You may place consolidate power tokens in sea spaces, but they will do nothing.

- Units under a support order can support any number of adjacent battles, not just one.

- Seriously, read up all threads on ports in the BBG and FFG forums. They can get confusing.

- Lone units do not count towards your supply limit. Supply only applies to the number/size of armies and fleets that can exist at any time (more than one land or sea unit in the same space).

- Supply totals are not adjusted as soon as you capture/lose them, only when a card specifically says to tally supplies.

- You cannot voluntarily "disband" your own units to free up supply (destroying armies for navies and vice versa).

- Regardless of supply, each house is limited to 10 footmen, 5 knights, 6 ships, and 2 siege engines at a time. 20 power token is the max each house can possess.

- Each house is limited to 2 of each type (raid, defend, etc.) of regular order plus one special order for each type. The two regular march orders are split into one +0 order and one -1 order.

- Those dinky grey boxes of mine on the map with a 5 and 6 are neutral forces.

Game rules:

This will be a 6 player game.

I will be both hosting and playing. We can have cheating safeguards be me having to private message my orders to a neutral party (Darian) before posting new turns and accepting everyone's orders. If ever my orders contradict what I sent out prior, watchdog Darian will blow the whistle (at which point I will push him out a window and paralyze him for life to keep my secret).

Houses will be randomly assigned.

Orders can be PM'd to me at the start of each turn (after I have already sent mine to Darian). Each player should post that their orders have been sent. When all have posted I shall check my private messages and process the phase. The same procedure goes for playing house cards for battles.

We will not be using the optional tides of war cards with so many first time players.

Private diplomacy is allowed.

Expect backstabs and betrayal. Take it with a grain of salt.

Players:

MrBody
Mr. Mojo Risin
38thDoe
sartori (solo or partner)
Harlon (solo or partner)
jakobagger
Styyx

Reserve:
SeGaTai (adviser partner?)

Dedicated Neutral:
Darian

So we have sartori and Harlon down for partnering, with SeGaTai as a definite reserve or partner. Does any one of those people have a preference for partnering with anyone else on the list? Would anyone not currently listed with a partner preference be up for accepting one of them as a partner? Would sartori and Harlon just want to partner together? That would give us 6.

Feel free to sign up as a reserve in case some fall through.

MrBody on
Β«13456721

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote:
    I will be both hosting and playing. We can have cheating safeguards be me having to private message my orders to a neutral party (Darian) before posting new turns and accepting everyone's orders. If ever my orders contradict what I sent out prior, watchdog Darian will blow the whistle (at which point I will push him out a window and paralyze him for life to keep my secret).

I'm watching you!

• StyyxStyyx Registered User regular
    My body is very ready for this.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    First thanks for hosting!
    Second, please don't kill Darian. He'll just download into a new lute anyways.

Is it possible to get the map and card checklist images slightly bigger?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The wildling token starts at 2.

jakobagger on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    First thanks for hosting!
    Second, please don't kill Darian. He'll just download into a new lute anyways.

Is it possible to get the map and card checklist images slightly bigger?

Map

Checklist is right in the BGG file section available in all sizes. I'll make future updates larger. I initially tried linking to larger version but it got cut off when trying to display it here. Maybe I messed up on my end?

EDIT: Wildling token start fixed

MrBody on
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Ill take a partner or Sega as an advisor either way works for me.

steam_sig.png
    So Sega advises Mojo and sartori partners with Harlon should give us 6? Are people cool with that?

Reserve offers are still open!

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Sounds fine. Also, what's going on in your avatar?

SOMEONE doesn't know their GoT lore!

• HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    @MrBody

Feel free to partner me with somebody. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of brand new players; I would prefer to join forces with a new player if somebody wants me. I don't mind joining with sartori, either.

3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
    MrBody wrote: Β»

I've read all the books thank you very much; I was just wondering about the sign that seems to contradict the thread title.

I've read all the books thank you very much; I was just wondering about the sign that seems to contradict the thread title.

It was the first SFW image I found in a search for "game of thrones doggie style".

This seemed a little borderline.

I guess we're waiting on a reply from sartori then. Wait 24 hours then open it up to reserves...that we don't have. Anyone know someone they can rope in?

Have you pmed @sartori to make sure he's spotted the new thread?

Yup, sent it out to everyone (everyone did get the PM didn't they?)

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    yup

PSN SeGaTai
  • sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    hiya hiya

edited April 2012
    *derp*

MrBody on
    edited April 2012
    Ok! Here we go! From now on, all Host text will be in purple (the traditional dark orange is too similar to Martel's color). When giving official moves, be sure to post in your appropriate color. (If anyone has a good idea to work out more readable colors for Greyjoy (dark grey) and Stark (white) let me know)

Since this is both my first GoT game and hosting session, feel free to point out any goofs I make.

Using The Randomiser to go down the player list picking houses.

Results:

MrBody - Baratheon
    Mr Mojo / Sega - Martel
    38thDoe - Stark
    Sartori / Harlon - Tyrell
    jakobagger - Greyjoy
    Styxx - Lannister

Turn 1: Planning phase Phase

boardnomergetest2.jpg

1980x2975 version

Current House Cards
    pic1257909_lg.jpg

Power token count

MrBody - 5
    Mr Mojo / Sega - 5
    38thDoe - 5
    Sartori / Harlon - 5
    jakobagger - 5
    Styxx - 5

All player must give one order in each territory, sea area, and port in which they have units. Keep in mind both the limit on orders (2 regular of each type, 1 special) and the number of stars on your Raven track position denoting how many total special orders can you can make this round.

PM orders to me, then post here that you have sent them (I have already sent mine to Darian). We'll proceed once everyone has sent.

No diplomacy deals are binding. Both secret and public diplomacy are allowed. Players may NEVER reveal their orders or what house card they play for battles (available house cards in hand are always public knowledge). This is more for the physical game but it could apply here by adding other players to order PM conversations. That's a no no.

Good luck. Check your backs for knives.

MrBody on
    edited April 2012
    I would do stark in gray and let Greyjoy be black, asking players to use bold for game decisions.

White and other extremely light colors are too difficult to read on the default forum background.

We also usually go with goldenrod instead of gold and darkorange instead of orange, and limegreen instead of green. The full list of @MrBlarney approved colors is available on page one of the PbP index thread and spoilered below for your convenience and consideration.
    I was actually just thinking about what X11 web colors would be good to use under both the default new-forum scheme and the Stylish old-forum schemes, and came up with the following list of 15. Some are more readable than others on each of the schemes, but overall, they might make for a good rule of thumb?

red
    brown
    chocolate
    darkorange
    goldenrod
    olive
    limegreen
    forestgreen
    darkcyan
    darkturquoise
    dodgerblue
    mediumorchid
    deeppink
    crimson
    gray

Photobucket image (made in GIMP, not a fair comparison)

Darian on
    True, but light grey is a lot closer to Stark's map color. I was afraid using regular grey for them would be dark enough for people confuse it for Greyjoy map color.

So, get those orders in, and sound off on which Stark/Greyjoy colors would work best for you. We'll go with the majority.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I like the darker grey.
    Is there a place I can find the house start card online?

38thDoE on steam

Sorry MrBody, of course I'm okay re: partnering with Harlon

Colors updated.

Question: How do you resolve "peeking" in Hand Tracker? The Raven holder gets the option to peek at the top card of the Wildling deck then put it back on the top or bottom. How would you accomplish this?

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Man-I need to read these 2nd ed. changes. I just thought they made ports and stuff part of the main game.

PSN SeGaTai
    edited April 2012
    Question: How do you resolve "peeking" in Hand Tracker? The Raven holder gets the option to peek at the top card of the Wildling deck then put it back on the top or bottom. How would you accomplish this?

Give the current holder of the raven the right to "draw to hand" from the Wildling deck. They declare at that time whether or not they like it; if they like it, they play it from their hand when appropriate. If they don't like it, they either give it to a dummy player (they'd need "give" rights for that; you could add me to the game for that purpose if you want) to hold on to or just keep it themselves for the rest of the game.
    You never get to the bottom of the Wilding deck, right?

Darian on
    edited April 2012
    Ironically, black shows up as bold white in Ye Olde Style. I'm going to be really confused by this. Also, Baratheon and Martell seem far to similar to me, both orange-ish. Is using yellow for baratheon out of the question? Or is that just mys tyle sheet being weird again. If it is, I guess I might have to learn to live with the default colors of Vanilla.

Edit: and by that I of course mean that this color scheme is like rain on your wedding day.

jakobagger on
    Orders are in!

Orders are in for House Tyrell!

"Growing Strong!"

I picked purple for host color before realizing that blue is never used as a player color. Would peeps prefer I stick with purple or go with blue?

Yeah I'm not sure on a good compromise for the Martel/Baratheon colors. Pure yellow is pretty eye-searing.

So that's the 2nd player poll right now.

1. Host purple or blue?
    2. Baratheon pure yellow or goldenrod?

edited April 2012
    1. Purple, all the way.
    2. Pure yellow, but bold. (edit: Actually, I guess I'm fine with goldenrod since it's readable in all styles). Bold is a good idea in general for these things, imo.

Also, my orders are in.

Huh, black seems to work now. Praise the Drowned God.

jakobagger on
    Anyone know of a better/darker/richer shade of orange we can use?

• Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Orders In

steam_sig.png
    Anyone know of a better/darker/richer shade of orange we can use?

You could go with chocolate or even brown, if you want something still orange-ish but darker.

Orders are coming!

38thDoE on steam

edited April 2012
    I just noticed that the PDF you've linked in the OP is the rules for the first edition, and therefore among other things lacks the rules for ports and siege engines which were introduced in the two different expansions of the old edition.

The correct rules are here. And their FAQ.

jakobagger on
    edited April 2012
    Oh wow boner on my part. Fixed the original link.

MrBody on
    edited April 2012
    Turn 1- Planning Phase - Reveal Orders

turn1revealorders.jpg

Larger Version

Remember you get a certain number of special orders per turn, so there's not much point to saving them (unless you're saving for a Raven replace).

As holder of the raven, House Lannister gets to replace one of their orders OR draw a Wildling card and either place it back on top of the deck (keep it and play it next Wildling attack) or the bottom of the deck (give it to Darian). Handtracker permissions have been changed to allow this. Game name "GoT 2nd ed. - Game 1"

1. House Lannister to use Raven.
    2. No valid targets for the single raid order, move on to March orders.
    3. March orders will start with House Baratheon and proceed one at a time in Iron Throne track order.

MrBody on
    I'll use the Raven to look at the top of the Wilding Deck

Styyx wrote: Β»
    I'll use the Raven to look at the top of the Wilding Deck

I'll put the Wilding Card on the bottom