As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    meanwhile, I'm fretting myself out of sleep that my joint honours astrophysics/computer science degree will be completely worthless.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    meanwhile, I'm fretting myself out of sleep that my joint honours astrophysics/computer science degree will be completely worthless.

is that a legitimate concern?

not trying to be a dick

it's an honest question

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I cannot seem to unwind lately and I think a lot of it is getting anxious and a bit worried about school. Even after a day like today, enjoying the newfound sun, taking pictures, hanging with friends, I get home and am just worried. Worried about a relationship, worried about failing, hell worried about not even making a dent in the SATs. I tried some of their practice tests and let's just say it made me feel a hell of a lot stupider than before. I know I need to freshen up, but I cannot shake these nerves.

Also I have no idea on where to start or what direction to take my application essay, or where I could begin looking for scholarships, and arghrhghghghgh.

As someone prepping for the GRE right now, let me just say, if it is math you are having trouble with, it is SO doable. Mindset is huge on that. Allow yourself to make mistakes in your practice. It is ok to be wrong, just keep trying problems, and REALLY make sure you understand why the answer is what it is. It is even GOOD to get them wrong, as you are doing so now, rather than on the SAT. As you go, circle the ones you think you got wrong, AND anything you were not 100% on. You should review both. The SAT is largely a long ass test/mindgame, and you should play it as such. Freaking out will hurt you, being cool as a cucumber will help.
    Also remember, colleges like high SAT scores, but there are plenty of ways to show your competence other than that. Many schools will overlook a mediocre score if you have solid grades and extracurricular.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    On the topic of "oh what do I do with this liberal arts degree", I'm tired of coming up with ways to explain what I'm doing with my life.

Random person: What are you taking?
    Me: I'm getting my English degree.
    Random person with the inevitable question: Oh, what are you going to do with that?
    Me every single time: I don't really know.
    Random person's inevitable response: Could you teach with that?
    Me: Eh yeah I guess.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you guys probably know what I'm talking about.

I've actually thought of just making up bullshit answers to have a different conversation once in a while. "Oh, I'm actually a masseuse at an old folk's retirement facility" or something.

Now I feel either idiosyncratic or a complete cliche, since I am that guy who's getting a liberal arts degree in order to eventually teach.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    You've obviously figured something out that we have neglected to figure out ourselves.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Into my senior year of college I realized I actually really enjoyed lecturing on philosophy.

I now want a masters in philosophy to lecture about philosophy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    whoop whoop was in the print shop from 9AM to 11PM today getting things ready for final critique

framing and what not

getting things looking nice. today was my last class before critique

welp goodbye everyone gonna go die now

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    have to finish this boring as hell online orientation for the shop so they know that I won't actually slice my hand off with a reciprocating saw. On the upside: I have cookies!

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Obviously the last final exam I'm ever going to take has to be the most mind-blowingly difficult final exam I will ever take.

Fuck. This. Noise.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have to take my last final exam ever tomorrow, but it is one that I can fail wildly and still pass the class easily

so yeah, that's kinda rad

8406wWN.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    My last exam of the year is tomorrow and I may have mentioned already I'm going in with a 59%, not thrilled. These pages of notes with scribbles all over them will surely come in use until then...

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I have to take my last final exam ever tomorrow, but it is one that I can fail wildly and still pass the class easily

so yeah, that's kinda rad

I wish my exams were like this. Historically I don't need that but it would make me feel so comfortable.
    In most of the subjects I take the exam is a hurdle to passing the class.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Just read "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman. Now to write a book report on it. But the point of the book is how to work better with your doctors as a patient, and as a doctor to tailor care to the individual.

Not get hung up on statistical analysis, recommend invasive procedures that may not provide an improvement of quality of life, seek new treatments when current ones are ineffective, etc.

Pretty fucking good. Expected a dry read, but it turned out to go pretty quick.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    All you people gearing up for finals, YOU CAN DO ITTTT! Finish STRONG!
    ERRYBODY WANNA BE A SCHOLAR, BUT NOBODY WANNA READ THESE LONG ASS PAPERS. I DO IT THOUGHHHHH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpMit8SpqRA
    When you think you can't study anymore, watch this man do a 1ton leg press. Shut up and fuckin' study.

the rubric for this book report said it was supposed to be 500 - 700 words

I ended up writing 2,500.

Sorry I tripled the length of the assignment, professor! Next time, don't ask for a chapter-by-chapter summary

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I just slept through three alarms and my first exam. God dammit.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I just bombed my ethics midterm. I dont think I can do well in this class anymore :( furthermore I've my Nutrition class to worry about that I dont think I can do well on anymore either. I have two days left to drop a class but I dont know, I am not gonna finish with a good gpa either way. I regret trying to 'challenge myself' because I am only making transfer more difficult. I was really optimistic just a few weeks ago too, ugh.

Fuck venn diagrams, forever and ever. I hate them!

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    According to the professor, it's me and one other guy with a C average in the logic class- everyone else is As or Fs. Missed out on a B on that last test because I ran out of time on a truth table :s

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I just bombed my ethics midterm. I dont think I can do well in this class anymore :(

Do you mean your critical thinking course?

I thought you did okay in your Ethics course.

• FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

shit man that sucks. You can take a deferred exam though right?

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Group Project make me go something something.

They're always bad, but there's also always at least one other person who's trying. This is just me and one dude, and I'm doing like 75% of the work.

In the last two and a half days I've done 12 hours or so on this paper and presentation, and I swear he can't have done more than 2 based on the utter shit of a skeleton powerpoint that he did. I'm letting my rage get in the way of further work.

Edit: Ugh, no way. He's already at school working on this, and in the last hour, he added 5-6 bullets, text only, to 5 slides.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Farthing wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »

shit man that sucks. You can take a deferred exam though right?

I hope so. I have emailed and left voicemails for my professor, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I mean, I can still pass the class if I get a zero on this, but it will be with like a D instead of an A, and I'm not really okay with that.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @Zonugal: yeah I meant critical thinking

Sorry to hear things aren't going smoothly.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

planetaryresources.com/careers/

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am not a happy Skeith today. I called up Manoa while I was waiting at the DMV because I figured they would've at least gotten started on my application by now, and I hear that they still haven't gotten the thing I sent them. Meaning, of course, they still haven't started on my app. So I have no chance at getting in the dorms if I keep trying to get in for fall. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, frankly. Is it a social faux pas to fax 10 copies of the same thing to a college admissions office and email the same thing every hour, on the hour?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg

I think you'll be okay.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    no you should do that and go in in person and get in their grill

they are seriously terrible

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    went to a presentation on how to apply your social sciences degree in a business career

pretty much what i expected

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    went to a presentation on how to apply your social sciences degree in a business career

"You're fucked and should have gotten a business degree"?

"hopefully we can find a position for you in HR."

The presenter just laughs at you for 15 minutes straight, then says "No." and walks off-stage.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    there

all done

29djlky.jpg

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Can I study 130 pages of computer architecture by tomorrow?

I'd better!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

10 minutes of sad trombone?

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    So, I wrote up a big thing on college and wanting to go back, and well, I'm not sure where to put it. I'm not sure I want to put it anywhere. It's a lot of stuff I haven't really let myself think about for a while, and stuff I REALLY don't like to talk about for reasons that kind of become apparent in the...I guess it's basically an essay. Shit, I mean it took up two and a half pages in Word so I'm not sure it'll even fit in here but afdlafskjlaldksjf;adsf

I dunno. Someone yell at me to put it somewhere.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Barely made it through one of my online lectures/notes. Spending all my time on forums.

Send help.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    Put it in the Writer's Block

Also, done my last exam today. What does one do with a Modern Languages degree? Fuuuuck

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    but if I post it I want more than three people to see it!

• WankWank Registered User regular
    You could find a rooftop, and then shout from it

This discussion has been closed.