As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[One Piece] Same day as Japan! er roughly.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    On Sanji:
    Being actually inside Nami's body has just been too much for him. His mind is temporarily broken. His chivalry was only ever barely containing the pervert inside.

A different question about the latest chapter:
    I don't get exactly how samurai dude's power works. Rock on head = warm clothing?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    From the sound of it, I don't think the samurai quite understands it, either. Though, in true Oda style, that the explanation will make even less sense.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I just got the first 4 triple volumes or so of this. Midway through volume 4 now. It's much much better than I was expecting from the terrible US version of the TV show.

I still sing the wrap occasionally when I pick them up though.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    On Sanji:
    Being actually inside Nami's body has just been too much for him. His mind is temporarily broken. His chivalry was only ever barely containing the pervert inside.

A different question about the latest chapter:
    I don't get exactly how samurai dude's power works. Rock on head = warm clothing?

Japanese mythology, if I'm not mistaken. The Tanuki could transform leaves that people held over their heads into different things, or something along those lines. Hence why he originally asks if they have leaves, but then apparently rocks work just as well?

Then why can't Chopper do the same thing? He's a Tanuki.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

He doesn't have the cojones for it.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Nevermind.

RockinX on
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Japanese mythology, if I'm not mistaken. The Tanuki could transform leaves that people held over their heads into different things, or something along those lines. Hence why he originally asks if they have leaves, but then apparently rocks work just as well?

Not a Tanuki, those are the raccoon like things that can shapeshift. The Samurai has the Kitsune's power. They are fox spirits that can disguise themselves with illusions.

EvilOtaku wrote: »

Not a Tanuki, those are the raccoon like things that can shapeshift. The Samurai has the Kitsune's power. They are fox spirits that can disguise themselves with illusions.

My mistake.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

Tell me that's a reference to Pon Poko.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Schide wrote: »

Tell me that's a reference to Pon Poko.

Nope. That's how tanuki are portrayed in Japanese mythology.

RockinX on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »

Hmm, then perhaps... mythic zoan fruit?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So if I sign up for viz now, will I be able to catch up on old releases?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So if I sign up for viz now, will I be able to catch up on old releases?

If you sign up today, you get the next year's worth of issues, and each of those issues is readable for one year from date of publish. You'd have to buy any earlier volumes.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Dang, I should have signed up right away.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    In related news, (I guess I'll spoiler this):
    Bakuman

is ending (not One Piece), I wonder what they'll do, since the magazine only has six titles in it?

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I just got the first 4 triple volumes or so of this. Midway through volume 4 now. It's much much better than I was expecting from the terrible US version of the TV show.

I still sing the wrap occasionally when I pick them up though.

You should check out the newer English version of the show. It's really good and faithful.

So no One Piece in Jump Alpha this week, but it's back next week. I guess they won't be skipping a week for Golden Week in Jump Alpha? Or maybe they'll skip in two weeks?

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Well, the new chapter is up and about
    Love love love the expressions ("Franky, never speak in Chopper's body again")
    Angry normal giant children!
    Drug addiction!
    Stupid names! (WTF EIGHTY COOL BROTHERS)
    Giants!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Drug addiction!
    Giants!
    It's a poor translation, their actual name is the Yeti Cool Brothers

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Fropper's faces are SO GOOD

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Fropper
    Chanji
    Namky
    Sami

Isn't it good like this?
    "NO!!"

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Drug addiction!
    Giants!
    It's a poor translation, their actual name is the Yeti Cool Brothers

Thanks. That's much better
    I don't really care that much about the names. I stopped caring since Monkey D. Ruffy or Zolo or even Buma(Bloomer) and Trunks for that matter

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys, but I found this week's chapter a little hard to follow! The panel design was kinda clashing a bit ahahaha

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Giving crack-laced candy to children?! What a crum-bum!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Yeah. I think One Piece just got creepy. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though! It's getting more mature.

I'd react just like Chopper did to all of that.

• LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    This chapter was totally Chopper's show, and man did he run with it. Best Chopper focus in quite a while.

Fropper for new crew member! (somehow)

edited May 2012
    So did anyone hear about Enel's recent trip to South America?
    sJCOR.jpg

Godfather on
    edited April 2012
    Holy shit that's intense.

E: As to the episode this week, they're doing a fairly good job of making the flashback interesting.

silence1186 on
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I thought it was really well done as well. At first, I was thinking that they would use the same plot thread regarding the Tenryubito as before but it twisted rather nicely!

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I'm always a few weeks behind on the anime. I finally got to see the episodes prior to the current flashback, and that bit with Sanji and Shirahoshi was both amazing, and infuriating. Infuriating because now I cannot listen to one of my favorite BGM themes without thinking of needing ladies.

• SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If anybody has the time and money to go to Taiwan, you should go cause there's a One Piece theme park there and it's really fun and cool. I'm not a huge One Piece fan but I thought it was pretty amazing.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Yeah. I think One Piece just got creepy. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though! It's getting more mature.

Honestly given how they treat slaves already this is pretty much par for the course.

I'm glad this is looking to be choppers Arc though.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    RockinX wrote: »

Honestly given how they treat slaves already this is pretty much par for the course.

I'm glad this is looking to be choppers Arc though.

There are some seriously unfortunate implications we are spared from re: the slavery situation. This is definitely not a "for adults" manga even if it has been getting more mature over the years.

• EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    There are some seriously unfortunate implications we are spared from re: the slavery situation. This is definitely not a "for adults" manga even if it has been getting more mature over the years.

I don't know what you're talking about. Boa was obviously a kitchen wench when she was slave. I'm not sure what else she would be good at.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    One Piece is about on the same level as Harry Potter when it comes to maturity. Both are usually PG but sometimes takes a turn for the dark. One Piece has the added benefit of eye candy though.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    No chapter this week?

Godfather wrote: »
    No chapter this week?

It came out last Saturday-ish. I think it was a double issue for Golden Week? So last Wednesday should have been skipped, and it should have resumed this week, but it came out halfway between the two.

I am a little confused now!

This discussion has been closed.