As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    And if you really want to piss Dan off, date him for a couple of years.

At least with this you'll be allowed to move into and keep all of your shit at his house even after the relationship ended. He'll probably cook for you too.

You would keep your shit at his house, but take all his valuables and cash when you leave.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I'm not justifying any of this with a response

You just did, hon. You just did.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Now now ,we have to let Stale get back to his current hobby, testing vegan cheese alternatives.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

At least with this you'll be allowed to move into and keep all of your shit at his house even after the relationship ended. He'll probably cook for you too.

You would keep your shit at his house, but take all his valuables and cash when you leave.

jNFqw.gif

easysig2.jpg
    aSgoV.gif

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I have a weakness

and that weakness is women I date

easysig2.jpg
    or just women

really

even yeah....

yeah

easysig2.jpg
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    or just women

really

even yeah....

yeah

and sometimes men.
    8-)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    The best thing about being an adult is being able to do whatever you want as long as your lady is good with it.

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Hooray for meatboxes.

This one has a 2.5 kilo on the bone shoulder of mutton. Gonna slow roast that bitch on Sunday.

t9migZb.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Hooray for meatboxes.

This one has a 2.5 kilo on the bone shoulder of mutton. Gonna slow roast that bitch on Sunday.

If you take out the middle sentence of this then it fits perfectly with the discussion that precedes it. Bravo sir.

Quoth wrote: »
    I am happy to report that I have broken my husband's chicken breast habit and have successfully transitioned to thighs

about time

easysig2.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Dark meat is fine, but better when used in a soup/caldo.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    So my friend makes an event on facebook

Says he's gonna make a ton of pulled pork and people should come eat it, if they want they can donate money to his sister who's doing a cancer run/walk whatever.

Day of the event comes along, today... I'm chatting with him on facebook...

"Oh yeah, we're not having pulled pork, we're having pulled chicken..."

Can I sue this man?

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I am not a lawyer, but legally you are required to sue him under the Pork Promises Act of 1913.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    So, Ziplock, what did you do this weekend?

I and 6 of my friends consumed 26 pounds of pork (ribs, shoulder, sausage, bacon, scrapple and hot dogs), 36 eggs and four whole chickens.

This says nothing of the beer, scotch and everything else.

Good weekend.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @Stale

Tried the chicken livers this weekend. The matzo meal crisped up ok, but quite a bit of it was coming off in the pan during the frying. It was a pretty large crumb in the meal I had, so maybe a finer crumb would be better. The soaking in sherry helped with the matzo sticking to the livers, but not like a full dredge would. The final product held together better than just cooking the livers would however.

Flavor was excellent, the sherry went well with the strong liver taste. It was very good on some nice crusty bread we had.

And you may want to put in the usual warning about frying livers. I had a couple I hadn't cut open since they were the right size and I had forgotten how they turn into little bombs in hot oil. I just poked holes in the rest of them so they wouldn't explode.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've got a roast going in the crock pot right now with two pounds of carrots, some tomatoes, mushrooms, and a bunch of long grain white rice. I put in a bunch of various spices and some vinegar and I think a couple other things I don't remember at the moment. There is enough liquid in there for the rice to get fully cooked, in case you were wondering.

So really, I have no idea what I ended up making but it smells amazing. I seem to have pretty good luck when it comes to improvising food.

BLM - ACAB
    Hunter wrote: »

jNFqw.gif

I love Castle.

BLM - ACAB
    @Stale

Tried the chicken livers this weekend. The matzo meal crisped up ok, but quite a bit of it was coming off in the pan during the frying. It was a pretty large crumb in the meal I had, so maybe a finer crumb would be better. The soaking in sherry helped with the matzo sticking to the livers, but not like a full dredge would. The final product held together better than just cooking the livers would however.

Flavor was excellent, the sherry went well with the strong liver taste. It was very good on some nice crusty bread we had.

And you may want to put in the usual warning about frying livers. I had a couple I hadn't cut open since they were the right size and I had forgotten how they turn into little bombs in hot oil. I just poked holes in the rest of them so they wouldn't explode.

@Kakodaimonos

Well damn... out of curiosity how long did you let them sit after you rolled them in the matzo? I'm wondering if they need time to form the crust, kind of like fried chicken. What you're describing usually happens there if you don't let it sit for 5 mins or so. Which, I didn't even consider including in the instructions.

I'm glad the flavor worked, awesome. Thank you for giving it a try, my thanks.

easysig2.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I've got a roast going in the crock pot right now with two pounds of carrots, some tomatoes, mushrooms, and a bunch of long grain white rice. I put in a bunch of various spices and some vinegar and I think a couple other things I don't remember at the moment. There is enough liquid in there for the rice to get fully cooked, in case you were wondering.

So really, I have no idea what I ended up making but it smells amazing. I seem to have pretty good luck when it comes to improvising food.

People seem to forget that cooking really is just not that hard. Things won't always be great, but with some basic techniques, you will make something at least decent 90% of the time.

So this weekend was:
    Friday: Indian stir fry yellow squash. Cut into batons, coat with oil, a chicken tikka mix and a punjab chole mix, fry devil's cock hot in a cast iron. Serve with rice with coconut milk and lime if you've got it.

Saturday: Whole roasted croaker with paprika (kept it simple, it's a rather mild fish) with some lime and butter corn on the cob. Followed by 2 bottles of wine and a tall pour of bourbon. I am 145lbs. This is a LOT for me. Falling apart and looking at past peoples facebooks. General personal collapse. Woke up with a new lease on life and a tremendous hangover though, have no idea how that works. Took myself to breakfast, discovered an omlette with potato/cheddar pierogies cooked into it. Was brilliant.

Today was a lovely asparagus risotto, and tomorrow I'll stir fry some snow pea shoots with some lemongrass. Fuckin love the Dekalb farmers market. Fuck stress eating, I'm going to cook myself to death.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @Stale

@Kakodaimonos

Well damn... out of curiosity how long did you let them sit after you rolled them in the matzo? I'm wondering if they need time to form the crust, kind of like fried chicken. What you're describing usually happens there if you don't let it sit for 5 mins or so. Which, I didn't even consider including in the instructions.

I'm glad the flavor worked, awesome. Thank you for giving it a try, my thanks.

The first ones were just dredged and dropped in the oil and had the most crumbs come off. The others sat in the meal while I was cooking the livers and held together better. Next time I try them I'll let them sit in the meal in a dish for a few minutes to set up like I do with chicken.

People seem to forget that cooking really is just not that hard. Things won't always be great, but with some basic techniques, you will make something at least decent 90% of the time.

Indeed. I don't generally make anything fancy, but it almost always turns out pretty tasty. And I've watched quite a bit of Alton and the general knowledge and science type approach to his show really gives you a good basis to work from instead of the typical "hey, watch me make this recipe" show.

BLM - ACAB
    So the pot roast rice thing that I made turned out delicious. The rice broke down so much from being super cooked in the crock that to the point of being almost a risotto or a rice stuffing or something. And then being flavored with the beef and the vinegar and veggies and spices. And the beef is super tender fall-aparty.

BLM - ACAB
    Also, holy shit, this crock pot is gonna be a bitch to clean. I think it's gonna have to soak for a damn week.

BLM - ACAB
    In order to avoid the rice breaking down in the future, hold off until about an hour before you eat to add it, or cook it separately and serve over the rice.

Or, you can try using a rice that holds up a little better to long cooking times, like Jasmine.

easysig2.jpg
    In order to avoid the rice breaking down in the future, hold off until about an hour before you eat to add it, or cook it separately and serve over the rice.

Or, you can try using a rice that holds up a little better to long cooking times, like Jasmine.

But I like how it turned out.

BLM - ACAB
    then don't do a damn thing

:^:

easysig2.jpg
    In fact, since it turned out somewhat stuffing-like, I'm going to try to experiment to see if I can purposely make a rice stuffing that takes like the real thing. Amy does not do the gluten so much any more.

BLM - ACAB
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Is the mess from the rice?

Soak it for around three hours and it will all fall off.

Rice, beef, other things.

BLM - ACAB
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just put the crock pot back on on low power, only full of water.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You guys why are there only ever like two or three kinds of tofu in English recipes and approximately eight trillion kinds of tofu at the store

It doesn't really matter except it means I always end up in deeply elaborate discussions with the women at the mart about what tofu I should be buying

In other news I made cold tofu salad with cucumber, ginger, carrot and perilla leaf, which was tasty. Tomorrow I am making perilla leaf pancakes. And I pity all of you living in countries where those are hard to find, cause it is the season right now and I am in perilla heaven.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    In fact, since it turned out somewhat stuffing-like, I'm going to try to experiment to see if I can purposely make a rice stuffing that takes like the real thing. Amy does not do the gluten so much any more.

Why does everyone have a boner for gluten-free these days? Do they all have Coeliac disease?

brDe918.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Apparently gluten makes you fat. Or so my sister's friend's Aunt heard, and everyone has been telling everyone else, so now no-one wants to eat it.

I do know one girl who is allergic, she has an actual legit excuse.

Noisymunk wrote: »

Why does everyone have a boner for gluten-free these days? Do they all have Coeliac disease?

It's not by choice, so I'd appreciate it if you'd take your tone down a notch or two, junior.

BLM - ACAB
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

It's not by choice, so I'd appreciate it if you'd take your tone down a notch or two, junior.

Who you callin' junior, pappy.

I didn't mean it as a dig at anyone with Coeliacs or other dietary restrictions, more a dig at fad dieters.

brDe918.jpg
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I have a nice 2lb lamb shoulder begging for a recipe. What do you fine folks suggest?

The rise of gluten-free products is a bit puzzling to me too. There's even pet food which is astonishing. Really how many pets out there have gluten allergies?
    Anialos wrote: »
    I have a nice 2lb lamb shoulder begging for a recipe. What do you fine folks suggest?

If you don't have rosemary make sure you get some. Lamb is a very flavorful meat that doesn't need much in terms of spice to be good but you gotta have dat rosemary.

This discussion has been closed.