As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
This post is specifically about controllers for the NES and SNES but I leave the thread open to you for discussion about all kinds of retro hardware and software.

I find myself in need of NES and SNES pads; I already have an Advantage for both consoles so luckily I don't need those now. Sellers at Amazon have pads. $20 new for NES, which seems fine to me, but $60 new for a SNES pad is right out. I'd like to get these new but used is alright if I can get it from somewhere a little less anonymous than Amazon. Are there any sources specifically dedicated to retro hardware? General googling usually leads to Amazon, Ebay, or various old specialty sites that may or may not work when you try to order something.

Where do you fine people buy your retro hardware? I'd be glad to know.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• irnirn Registered User regular
    I've had a lot of luck on craigslist. I would try there.

cashwore1.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Texas has a ton of specialty retro-gaming stores around the state, often with multiple in a single city. Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio all have multiple stores dedicated to retro gaming. In Houston and Austin, Game Over has a huge selection with reasonable prices. Player 1 Games in houston is similar.

Beyond that, I use ebay and amazon.com for the more common stuff. If I'm looking to buy a lot of software in bulk for cheap, I'll hit up a dedicated community for the specific console I'm looking for. Dedicated communities almost always have a trading post section, where you can deal with people more familiar with the true value of things for these kinds of consoles. These places usually have the best deals. I recommend:

Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD: www.Sega-16.com
    Amiga: www.amibay.com
    Atari: www.atariage.com
    Sega Master System: www.smspower.com

Finally, if I'm looking for super obscure shit, like near one-of-a-kind type of stuff. Assembler is and always will be the gold standard for video game collecting. The community is hardcore about collecting, and virtually any request you put out there, with money behind it, will yield results. To put it in perspective, Assembler has a sizable M2 community, that is people with M2s trading software.

www.assembler.com

I personally spend more time these days retro collecting than I do gaming. I like the hobby a lot, and finding the best stuff for obscure hardware is part of the fun.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I've bought things off of the AtariAge forums. Really good sellers on there.

NintendoAge is also a thing, though it doesn't seem to get as much traffic.

(Don't let the names fool you, AtariAge has people selling from all generations. You'll also see a lot of stuff you never knew existed.)

steam_sig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ever since getting rid of my old one a decade or so ago, I have always really wanted a Sega Saturn again. I have no idea what I'd ever DO with it, besides replay "D", because I loved that game.

I just want one.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ever since getting rid of my old one a decade or so ago, I have always really wanted a Sega Saturn again. I have no idea what I'd ever DO with it, besides replay "D", because I loved that game.

I just want one.

If there is one thing I've learned as a gamer, it's never get rid of your old games and systems, because you will regret it. Guaranteed. I've been there so many times and I think I'm finally done selling stuff. I always regret it. Keep your stuff!

@harvest Do you have any retro stores nearby? Some are horrible, but some are pretty fair. I picked up a NES Advantage from a retro store near where I used to live a couple months ago for like 5 bucks, which i thought was a pretty good deal. You could also try http://www.nintendoage.com They have a forum for selling, trading, and buying. I've bought a few things from those guys before and most of them are pretty fair with their prices.

edit: beat'd by @Vegan. But yeah try the age sites. They also have a segaage.com. @mxmarks you should look there for a Saturn.

Hey don't forget thrift stores and places like that too. I mean like 95% of the time you won't find a damn thing, but sometimes you find some pretty awesome stuff. Just looking through the finders keepers section on nintendo age will make you so jealous. You'll want to go to thrift stores all day looking for stuff.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Goodwill. Got my NES, SNES, 4 SNES Controllers, 2 NES, Controllers, NES Advantage, NES Gun, and Mario Bros/Duck Hunt for $60.

NES games were $2. I got Legend of Zelda, LoZ Adventure of Link, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Wizards and Warriors, SMB2 and 3.

SNES Games were $3. Lucked up on SF2, SSF2T, Super Double Dragon, Zombies ate My Neighbors, and Killer Instinct.

Should have grabbed the Dreamcast when it was there, but I had spent way to much already.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I too can vouch for Atariage - great site, great people there. Check with Pawn/Thrift shops as well, hit Craigslist. Also, if you have any local flea markets my experience is there is always a vendor selling retro games at slightly inflated prices.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If there is one thing I've learned as a gamer, it's never get rid of your old games and systems, because you will regret it. Guaranteed. I've been there so many times and I think I'm finally done selling stuff. I always regret it. Keep your stuff!

This is so true. I regret almost every game/system/accessory that I've pawned. Except maybe my Game Gear, because what I got in return was totally awesome.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Goodwill. Got my NES, SNES, 4 SNES Controllers, 2 NES, Controllers, NES Advantage, NES Gun, and Mario Bros/Duck Hunt for $60.

NES games were $2. I got Legend of Zelda, LoZ Adventure of Link, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Wizards and Warriors, SMB2 and 3.

SNES Games were $3. Lucked up on SF2, SSF2T, Super Double Dragon, Zombies ate My Neighbors, and Killer Instinct.

Should have grabbed the Dreamcast when it was there, but I had spent way to much already.

How long ago did you get this stuff at those prices? Goodwill prices game stuff according to ebay now, meaning they're usually slightly overpriced.

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Videogamepricecharts.com is also good for getting a baseline price on loose games based on current and recently sold ebay/amazon/half listings.

Racketboy.com has nice guides for each system e.x best <system> games under $10, hidden gems, most valuable.

I'm not saying memorize price charts, but having a good idea of what stuff is worth is very good to know esp if you are doing garage sales, flea markets, and thrift stores.

Most flea markets will have resellers, sometimes they have average ebay prices, some are greatly inflated. A quick glance at common nes games will give you an idea of what you are dealing with, if i see super mario brothers 3 for $20 it's a good chance that everything they sell is overpriced.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Holy crap. In one trip?

How long ago did you get this stuff at those prices? Goodwill prices game stuff according to ebay now, meaning they're usually slightly overpriced.

Depending on if their locally owned or owned by the county or town they're in depends on prices apparently. I asked someone once why their books were like 5 dollars more expensive than another Goodwill.

I want to be mad at Goodwills for pricing their games according to ebay prices, especially after they were most likely donated to them by unsuspecting people, but they do good stuff with the money, right?

anoffday on
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

When I got my PS2 at 11, I gave away my SNES since I figured I wouldn't need it anymore. If I could go back and beat that child I would.

This space for rent
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    yard sales and consignment shops are the best places for sellers who have no idea the real value of something video game related. It's usually grandmothers and mothers finally getting rid of johnny's precious snes/genny/ps1/dc that he left there when he moved out.

I got a nearly complete set of every US released JRPG on the SNES a few years back for 20 dollars. She wanted five and I felt bad. All in box, most with strat guides in perfect condition.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    yard sales and consignment shops are the best places for sellers who have no idea the real value of something video game related. It's usually grandmothers and mothers finally getting rid of johnny's precious snes/genny/ps1/dc that he left there when he moved out.

I got a nearly complete set of every US released JRPG on the SNES a few years back for 20 dollars. She wanted five and I felt bad. All in box, most with strat guides in perfect condition.

That had to have been your best pick up up the year!

This space for rent
    Another plus of buying from places like Sega-16, SMS Power, or Atari Age - you can buy recapped/modded systems regularly. Common resell shops will likely be completely unaware of capacitor plague, and could be selling you a console that'll fail in 2 or so years. When you buy from a dedicated community, you'll find power sellers who will tune up the console in every way you can imagine prior to selling it. Some people will even mod the system to make it better than a stock unit. You can buy recapped Genesis 2 with a soundchip mod that'll improve the sound quality to something even beyond a model 1, with a region mod, for like $75 on sega-16.

I'm currently in the process of having my game gear recapped to fix the screen, along with having a TV-out and controller port added to the system. I got my PC Engine Duo recapped over at Super PC Engine FX for about $100. You just have to look around.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    @TheSonicRetard that was something else I've been interested in, getting my NES' and SNES' caps replaced. I know they'll fail within the decade. I'll take a look around on Atari Age/Nintendo Age and see if someone can do it for me.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Another plus of buying from places like Sega-16, SMS Power, or Atari Age - you can buy recapped/modded systems regularly. Common resell shops will likely be completely unaware of capacitor plague, and could be selling you a console that'll fail in 2 or so years. When you buy from a dedicated community, you'll find power sellers who will tune up the console in every way you can imagine prior to selling it. Some people will even mod the system to make it better than a stock unit. You can buy recapped Genesis 2 with a soundchip mod that'll improve the sound quality to something even beyond a model 1, with a region mod, for like $75 on sega-16.

I'm currently in the process of having my game gear recapped to fix the screen, along with having a TV-out and controller port added to the system. I got my PC Engine Duo recapped over at Super PC Engine FX for about $100. You just have to look around.

I wish I would have been able to find places like that ages ago when I had a turboexpress portable that fell into my lap but wouldn't work. I couldn't find what was wrong with it and had no info to go on as far as how it worked.

I'll have to do the caps on my old genny and sega cd soon enough I'd imagine. Wish I could actually get my registration at sega 16 to work so I could start getting a bit more familiar with the community there!

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

This is so true. I regret almost every game/system/accessory that I've pawned. Except maybe my Game Gear, because what I got in return was totally awesome.

I got $200 for my Sega CD/32X combo the year that PSX released (1995). While I reget it now, that was the best fucking thing I ever did when it comes to gaming hardware. By all rights I shouldn't have been able to sell that thing for $200 at a yardsale I was having. I lucked out.

12 year old me was happy as clams knowing I had secured my passage into the next generation. 29 year old me wishes he still had all his Working Designs (and Snatchers) games.

As far the OP goes, check out Value Village if you have one nearby. I snagged a Dreamcast from there and see tons of retro gaming stuff all the time. It goes fast though, so make sure you go early in the day.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012

I got $200 for my Sega CD/32X combo the year that PSX released (1995). While I reget it now, that was the best fucking thing I ever did when it comes to gaming hardware. By all rights I shouldn't have been able to sell that thing for $200 at a yardsale I was having. I lucked out.

12 year old me was happy as clams knowing I had secured my passage into the next generation. 29 year old me wishes he still had all his Working Designs (and Snatchers) games.

As far the OP goes, check out Value Village if you have one nearby. I snagged a Dreamcast from there and see tons of retro gaming stuff all the time. It goes fast though, so make sure you go early in the day.

Yeah, unfortunately for the retro scene there are a lot of people who are catching on and starting to realize that old games can be worth money. A lot of them are idiots though and are strictly interested in the money so they grab everything they see. This is bad for actual gamers because you might be going to Goodwill hoping to find a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 because you actually want to play it or add it to your collection. But the guy before you grabbed it along with everything else and is now trying to sell it on ebay for 50 bucks because it's a "classic super rare game!"*.

*it's not.

anoffday on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Yeah, unfortunately for the retro scene there are a lot of people who are catching on and starting to realize that old games can be worth money. A lot of them are idiots though and are strictly interested in the money so they grab everything they see. This is bad for actual gamers because you might be going to Goodwill hoping to find a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 because you actually want to play it or add it to your collection. But the guy before you grabbed it along with everything else and is now trying to sell it on ebay for 50 bucks because it's a "classic super rare game!"*.

*it's not.

This is old news, but in case you missed it:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-man-who-thought-the-nes-was-worth-13-000

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Half-Priced Books and Movie Trading Co.

True story.

HPB is mostly an unknown, from what I've seen. I've had to drag people there because they didn't believe me. There was a Diablo II Collector's Edition priced at $100 for a long time (years, I think); I walked in a couple of years ago the day they marked it down to $10.

Movie Trading Co. (apparently goes by the names Vintage Stock and V-Stock in some areas?) is also wonderful: I lucked into a copy of Pokemon Red last Christmas for $10. Looking at their website, they may only be in a handful of states: Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are the ones listed.

If you're near San Antonio / Austin, there's a shop in New Braunfels called The D-Pad, which is kind of cool. Haven't been in years, though.

And, of course, Austin has the Game Over Video Games. I'm under the impression they're kind of pricey, though.

I picked up a famicom for $40 almost two years ago (that sounds too long ago...) from FamicomWorld.com

I think that was the place, anyway. I use Opera, and I created a session with famicomworld, nintendoage, ebay, and craigslist and simply checked them once a day until I found the right price.

Tamin on
    The Chicago area has a franchise called Disc Replay. It is like gamestop but it has retro games as well as movies and music.

This space for rent

*it's not.

This is old news, but in case you missed it:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-man-who-thought-the-nes-was-worth-13-000

Ha. Yeah. I actually saw that episode.

Even 10 dollars seems generous for a broken NES.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular

I just want one.

Same, but I only want one to play the NiGHTS games. I only ever spent a few minutes with an old demo at Toys R Us, and after having played Journey of Dreams I really want to go through the original. I looked into acquiring one with the 3D controller a couple years ago when Journey of Dreams was released and I determined it was too expensive an investment just to sate a curiosity. Too bad the PS2 port/remake never made it over to the States. Way back in the JoD thread someone posted a screenshot of a fancy version of NiGHTS, but never elaborated on what it was from. I inferred it was from some fan PC remake, but I have a feeling that's wrong as I've never seen any indication such a thing exists.

steam_sig.png
    Tamin wrote: »
    Half-Priced Books and Movie Trading Co.

My local HPB started checking ebay for their video game stuff almost a decade ago. it really blows to go in and see stuff going for $70 in there.
    Bullio wrote: »

I just want one.

Same, but I only want one to play the NiGHTS games. I only ever spent a few minutes with an old demo at Toys R Us, and after having played Journey of Dreams I really want to go through the original. I looked into acquiring one with the 3D controller a couple years ago when Journey of Dreams was released and I determined it was too expensive an investment just to sate a curiosity. Too bad the PS2 port/remake never made it over to the States. Way back in the JoD thread someone posted a screenshot of a fancy version of NiGHTS, but never elaborated on what it was from. I inferred it was from some fan PC remake, but I have a feeling that's wrong as I've never seen any indication such a thing exists.

There is so much to play on the saturn, but it's all pretty pricey. If you got the money to spend, the saturn has an awesome domestic library. People commonly mention that the only saturn games worth playing are from japan -- not true. There are a bunch of games worth playing that were released domestically, but they cost quite a bit. Expect to pay over $100 for good saturn games, with the best going for several hundred each. The saturn wasn't as far behind the PSX as magazines would have lead you to believe at the time. There are a number of games which are flat-out better on the saturn than their PSX ports - Dead of Alive immediately springs to mind, as does Thunder Force V.

The saturn is also home to a bunch of controllers which make the total Saturn experience unique to the console. The twin sticks have to be the prize jewel of any saturn controller collector - they were only ever released in japan, in limited quantities, but they really do transform virtual on into a whole other game.

If you're itching to get into saturn gaming, here's what I'd recommend, in terms of increasing price (top of the list is cheapest, bottom of the list is most expensive)

Astal (around $10 for a loose disc)
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtua Cop
    Daytona USA CCE
    Sega Rally
    Dark Savior
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei (around $30 boxed)
    Resident Evil
    Tomb Raider
    NiGHTS into Dreams (around $50 boxed)
    Dead or Alive
    Legend of Oasis
    Fighters Megamix
    Guardian Heroes
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Shining the holy ark
    Thunder Force V
    Dragonforce (about $100-$150 online)
    Radiant Silvergun
    Virtual On + Twin Sticks (it'll run you about $150 for both together boxed)
    Burning Rangers (about $200 boxed complete)
    Shining Force III
    Deep Fear (expect $250+)
    Panzer Dragoon Saga ($250-$300)

As you can see, the best games are the most expensive. but those best games are really good. Shining Force III is likely the most complete game on the saturn in terms of graphics, story, and length, especially if you take into account scenarios 2 and 3 (which have been translated into english). Panzer Dragoon Saga lives up to the hype - I just completed my first playthrough of the game a few days ago and it's a wonderful RPG, with a great story (especially if you played the 2 prequels which are SHMUPS instead) and one of the most fun, most engaging battle systems I've ever experienced in an RPG. It's a cinematic RPG, comparable to Final Fantasy VII or perhaps Zelda: OoT in terms of presentation. It's easily the best looking game on the Saturn. Burning Rangers is probably the least known of the "big 3" saturn games. It's the best 3D action game on the system, pumping out visuals comparable to Syphon Filter on the PSX.

Deep Fear is probably the least known, most-sought after saturn title. In the US, Magic Knight Rayearth was the last saturn game released - a fact which stretches its price upwards to above $100 online usually. But europe didn't get MKR, rather Europe got Deep Fear, which is a much better game. It's a resident evil knock-off that winds up being one of the best horror survival games of that particular era. For a saturn title, it's got great graphics (the backgrounds are prerendered just like in RE, meaning more polys for the models and enemies). Interestingly, much like the N64 port of Resident Evil, Deep Fear has a true analog mode which replaces the tank controls with more modern 3D controls. But it's only accessible if you have a 3D pad, which I highly recommend. The Model 2 controller for the saturn is probably the best 2D controller ever crafted, but the 3D pad is no slouch. The best games on the system - All the Panzer Dragoons, Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Deep Fear, NiGHTS - support it, and they usually offer much improved controls.

I'd compare the saturn to the Sega Master System - a console that diehard sega fans will undoubtedly love, as a vast majority of the titles for the system are from Sega themselves. Little third party support (and mainstream success) compared to the Genesis and Dreamcast. But worth picking up if you're a big Sega nut.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Josh5890 wrote: »

When I got my PS2 at 11, I gave away my SNES since I figured I wouldn't need it anymore. If I could go back and beat that child I would.

Man what? By the time the PS2 came out, SNES was already old news. If you didn't ditch it for the ps1, why would you for the PS2?

Anyway, only really good deal I've gotten was a complete N64 with all the accessories for 20 bucks quite a few years ago now. The same place was selling Mario 64 for more than the console. Of course, that pales compared to taking Ogre Battle 64 and Zelda for free from friends who didn't want their N64 games anymore. Not that I really blame them, N64 has such a tiny library. I don't even keep it hooked up; only if I actually want to play a specific game. Which, 95% of the time would be F-Zero X or Hexen 64. N64 has some damn good games, the console was just wasted because no one wanted to develop for it. Which is a shame, because paying more for carts was worth it. Oh no, no crappy cgi movies and voice dialog or load times, whatever shall we do!?

Also, Sonic: Would you really recommend those primitive 3d fighting games? I remember them being kind of shitty even in the 90s, compared to stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. I imagine I'd barely even be able to look at them today.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's been a long time since I played either game, but I remember thinking at the time that Panzer Dragoon Saga looked worse than Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Saga really felt like it was trying to do more than the Saturn hardware could manage whereas Zwei understood those limitations and worked within them. Of course, the fact that Zwei was on rails helped.

When our games start selling millions, one of the few big luxuries I want to indulge in is building up a Saturn collection and rebuying my old favorites like Shining the Holy Ark & Nights as well as trying out the rare stuff I never got to back then like Shining Force 3, Deep Fear, and Burning Rangers.

Although the Dreamcast gets all the love, I think the Saturn is a more attractive system these days since most of the great Saturn games never got ported.

RainbowDespair on
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    The Chicago area has a franchise called Disc Replay. It is like gamestop but it has retro games as well as movies and music.

Since I started collecting ~2 years ago, Disc Replay probably accounts for 75% of my local pickups. They do check prices on ebay but are usually reasonable, or mark stuff down a bit. You probably aren't going to find super mario rpg or something for $5, but they usually have a decent selection.

Pawn shops also can be pretty good.

camo_sig2.png
    The last game on TSR's list that is actually worth the money you'd have to pay is Virtual On, though most of the stuff in the 50 dollar tier isn't great either.

Also do you hate Capcom Saturn Arcade Ports, TSR? Those are the real value of owning a Saturn.

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    To the OP if you are looking for a good SNES controller get the one Label "Classic Controller" the box will look like the one pictured here.

product%5Clarge%5CNXSNES-002.jpg

Best Aftermarket SNES controller I have ever used. it feels just like the Nintendo one.

Avoid the one by Tomee the buttons are squishy and the D-pad caved in and caused me to cut my finger playing Killer instinct.

A few other people from Texas mentioned Game Over and I love that Store. they have decent prices overall and their rarer stuff is about the same as E-bay plus shipping not too bad.

Funny Story about Movie Exchange. the one closest to me has a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out + sleeve, no box, no manual for $510. Who the hell does their pricing? Sure an unopened copy might be worth that but in the condition it is in it's worth maybe $25-$30 tops.

Get the Video game traders price guide ap for your phone it will show you what most games should be worth in lose and complete conditions.

Artoria on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Also Radiant Silvergun & Guardian Heroes are both available on XBLA for much cheaper than you'd pay for the Saturn version. And to be honest, I think they're both a bit overrated.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Also do you hate Capcom Saturn Arcade Ports, TSR? Those are the real value of owning a Saturn.

That's the only way of getting a physical copy of Capcom's D&D games. Well, the only practical way.

1208768734831.jpg
    Or a good version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

Also, Sonic: Would you really recommend those primitive 3d fighting games? I remember them being kind of shitty even in the 90s, compared to stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. I imagine I'd barely even be able to look at them today.

Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix still feel great to this day. I'm not recommending Battle Arena Toshinden or VF1, the games I've recommended have held up well.

And no, PDS does way more tricks than Zwei.

Only poverty gamers play capcom games on sega hardware. you can get the same game for a CPS2 usually at about the same price. And real arcade hardware trumps the dreamcast and saturn any day.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    One of the best things about being a Saturn owner during the system's glory days was owning a copy of Saturn Bomberman and enough multitaps / controllers to have a living room full of players. It means that I have a drawer full of the best controllers known to man and a simple USB adapter means that they will be with me forever.

I'm fortunate in where I live in Oregon; we have a couple of stores locally that stock hardware and software all the way back to 2600 carts. They're both in lower-rent retail areas, so maybe look for game stores in out-of-the-way places where you live?

dragonsama wrote: »
    To the OP if you are looking for a good SNES controller get the one Label "Classic Controller" the box will look like the one pictured here.

product%5Clarge%5CNXSNES-002.jpg

Best Aftermarket SNES controller I have ever used. it feels just like the Nintendo one.

Avoid the one by Tomee the buttons are squishy and the D-pad caved in and caused me to cut my finger playing Killer instinct.

A few other people from Texas mentioned Game Over and I love that Store. they have decent prices overall and their rarer stuff is about the same as E-bay plus shipping not too bad.

Funny Store about Movie Exchange. the one closest to me has a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out + sleeve, no box, no manual for $510. Who the hell does their pricing? Sure an unopened copy might be worth that but in the condition it is in it's worth maybe $25-$30 tops.

Get the Video game traders price guide ap for your phone it will show you what most games should be worth in lose and complete conditions.

I think I paid $15 for mike tysons punchout and that was/is about average for a loose copy on ebay.

Not trying to call you out or anything, just trying to get across that yea this is a fun hobby to have, but a lot of people know that and will gouge the shit out of you.

camo_sig2.png
    I like game over because, while they're usually off with their low-range games (like $12 for a loose copy of strider), their high end stuff is usually priced very fairly. They'll also give you a good amount of money for a harder to find item. Last time I went into one in austin, I had my english translated copy of Secret of Mana 2 that I had made myself with me, and the dude behind the counter offered me $100 for it. Which, for a handmade cart, is quite a bit of money.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Just got my SNES games back from my brother when he pinched them moving out:

Act Raiser (x2 for some reason)
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy III
    The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
    Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 (English Reproduction)
    Sim City
    Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (same cart)
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Metroid
    Terranigma (NTSC Reproduction)
    Wizardry V

It's a humble beginning and I don't intend to collect every SNES game, only the ones I'm actually going to play. I can think of about 20 more games I'd like to have (for some reason my FF2 disappeared nearly a decade ago). My NES collection has about 40 games so far but I really need a copy of Megaman 1 and 4+. If I spend all my Steam money on retro games for the next months I should do quite well!

B6yM5w2.gif
    harvest wrote: »
    Just got my SNES games back from my brother when he pinched them moving out:

Act Raiser (x2 for some reason)
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy III
    The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
    Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 (English Reproduction)
    Sim City
    Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (same cart)
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Metroid
    Terranigma (NTSC Reproduction)
    Wizardry V

It's a humble beginning and I don't intend to collect every SNES game, only the ones I'm actually going to play. I can think of about 20 more games I'd like to have (for some reason my FF2 disappeared nearly a decade ago). My NES collection has about 40 games so far but I really need a copy of Megaman 1 and 4+. If I spend all my Steam money on retro games for the next months I should do quite well!

You're off to a damn good start. SNES is my all time favorite and I have most games I've wanted at this point, and now I basically grab any loose carts I find that I don't have.

Your collection needs more Super Mario RPG though! :D