As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Batman Inc variant cover by Frank Quietly!!
    Fuck yes!
    batincvar1.jpg

Tairu on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    In New Guardians Issue 1, Kyle's origin was slightly different.

Maybe they'll expand on that.

I haven't read any Green Lantern stuff since the New 52 reboot - what was different?

Is it even still continuity that the Guardians were wiped out for a while and Kyle brought them all back (as babies)? Because it seemed like Geoff Johns wanted to act like the whole Kyle as GL thing never happened, and he was only keeping him around because of fan pressure. If he'd had as much as power when he wrote Green Lantern Reborn as he does now, I think Kyle would have went to the same place as Wally West. With Blackest Night and War of the Lanterns, this seemed even more true.

Nothing much. It seems like instead of dumping the ring and disappearing, Ganthet stuck around briefly to tell Kyle about the Corps and how the ring worked. Essentially a replacement for Alan Scott, who did much the same in Kyle's early days. There was still a scene of Ganthet creating the ring surrounded by dead Guardians on a very destroyed-looking Oa, so definitely a suggestion that Emerald Twilight is still in place.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Flashpoint is going to be the next dc animated movie (after superman vs the elite)
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/25/flashpoint-to-be-a-dc-direct-to-dvd-animated-movie/

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is

an odd choice

could be good though. Especially since Conroy is apparently playing Batman. I wonder if that means he is Bruce in the Norman Universe and someone else voices Thomas or if he does both.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i love kevin conroy

blank: didnt he voice thomas wayne in the old animated series too?

ryven on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Flashpoint only works if you know the history of the DCU up to that point. With these movies coming out having various casts and places and times, there's nothing to connect it to. Unless they try and connect it to JLU which would just be crazy. Doesn't auger well for the film.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Flashpoint only works if you know the history of the DCU up to that point. With these movies coming out having various casts and places and times, there's nothing to connect it to. Unless they try and connect it to JLU which would just be crazy. Doesn't auger well for the film.

The DCAU isn't coming back in any form with the animated films. That's what the Earth 2 originally was about until they altered it.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Pencilled pages by Travel Foreman for BoP: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/04/25/artist-travel-foreman-on-birds-of-brey

Holy shit.

huntresssig.jpg
    I always thought that FlashPoint would work better as one consistent story with no extra plot lines and crossovers dragging it down, I'm psyched!

Also, I just read JLD and I Vampire crossover, JLD ends with a whimper rather than a bang. Clearly getting rid of any plot lines Milligan was preparing to make way for Lemire. And while I am anxiously awaiting Lemires run, it was a bit sad how it panned out.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Teen Titans #8 was an improvement. Ig Guara did the art instead of Brett Booth, so it looked really good for once. The story still isn't great, and there's still Lobdell's awful over-exposition (although it's not as bad in this), but it's like a billion times better than the previous issues. Mostly because of the art.

It also had some references to Justice League, Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey (although it wasn't noted as such)
    Amanda Waller is in a scene with Kurt Lance, who is/was Black Canary's husband. The latest issue of Birds of Prey says Dinah killed him a few years ago. Amanda and Kurt were on Team 7, the team referenced by Steve Trevor in the latest Justice League

So that part was cool

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Flash was awesome as usual.
    Though it seems they're going to leave Iris stuck in the Speed Force for now. I get the feeling M & B might be firmly on Team Patty. Turbine is the modern version of the Top, down to sharing the name Roscoe.

Aquaman was exceptional, imo. Johns managed to establish an incredible amount of characterization in one book for The Others.

Hawkman ... I guess it's telling that I'm actually interested in seeing what the new team brings to the book.

Arryn on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Is Rob Liefeld just drawing covers or is he writing Hawkman too? I could deal with ugly covers, but

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I flipped through Flashpoint when at a BnN today. I'm not entirely sure of the context but superman made me sad just looking at him.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Yes, that was sort of the point

I hate to be that guy

Tairu on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    Is Rob Liefeld just drawing covers or is he writing Hawkman too? I could deal with ugly covers, but

Both IIRC. He's writing 3 series. Hawkman, Deathstroke and a third title.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

Both IIRC. He's writing 3 series. Hawkman, Deathstroke and a third title.

Supposedly, he's only the Plotter on Hawkman (as well as doing covers.) The actual script is being done by someone else.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So if you know some of the current history of the New 52 and a vauge understanding of the general history in general will that make someone understand Flashpoint?

Brainleech wrote: »
    So if you know some of the current history of the New 52 and a vauge understanding of the general history in general will that make someone understand Flashpoint?
    Yeah

Flashpoint isn't super continuity heavy

if you know the basics like Batman's parents were killed, Superman crash landed on Earth, Flash got hit by a lightning bolt while doused in chemicals, etc. You will be fine.

CYpGAPn.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I do find it funny that I have to look up some of the villains and other things in the new 52 especially Supergirl's online but I know their past has little to do with what they are doing currently

I've been reading through the Justice League back matter and it's pretty surprising how prominent David Graves is, I thought it was weird he just appeared in the last couple of pages of #6 and was supposed to be a big deal

Graves was the narrator at the end, right? And every time they cut to random civilians it's still him, isn't it?

All I remember for sure is that he writes the book.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I do find it funny that I have to look up some of the villains and other things in the new 52 especially Supergirl's online but I know their past has little to do with what they are doing currently

I haven't done any reading on Supergirl's antagonists and have no prior experience and I've been fine.

huntresssig.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    XTHqx.jpg

Nice tweak on the S-suit. I like the gold bands.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh hey, is that President Superman?

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    What is going on with his waist/midsection

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    His costume is better than the new regular Superman one, funnily enough

Wildcat is going to be in Earth 2!
    Along with Hawkgirl.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    But, is it going to be hip, sexy Wildcat, or good Wildcat?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I take issue with the implication that Ted Grant is not sexy

edited April 2012
    Shouldn't that be Superman of Earth-44 for the lols?

And speaking of Superman, remember that talk of planning things for Jurgens and Giffen in the long run on Supes, and Helspont was the only mandated thing from DC? Nah, just let Scott Lobdell take over the book in 6 months.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2012
    Goddamnit

Edit: I guess I wasn't really into it before anyway, though

Tairu on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Well I wouldn’t get too upset over that news yet.

Maybe it’s just a quick crossover with Superboy and he’s only writing an issue or two.

That could be it, right…right?

• JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Please tell me Lobdell is leaving one of his other books.

Do not give him four books.

It just fits with the 6 issue and done rotation DC keeps doing on half the books. And Lobdell is Haras' go to guy. And then he takes over Supergirl. And Action Comics. And Superman Family Adventures.They will promote this as "Super Scott" taking over the super-family.

This is why my interest in DC has fallen to an all time low, the good things just get washed out with some of the decisions and directions. There's Batman, B&R, Swamp Thing. Those are the books I genuinely look forward to these days and seem to always bring the good. Animal Man and Green Lantern are good but I wouldn't have any problem dropping them or missing an issue or going to a month behind schedule. And Frankenstein's changing writers in a month which makes me just drop it and wait for reader response.

I really liked the two issues Jurgens and Giffens did. I'm guessing Scot Lobdell is no good? You guys certainly seem bummed about this.

edited April 2012
    I really liked the two issues Jurgens and Giffens did. I'm guessing Scot Lobdell is no good? You guys certainly seem bummed about this.

Lobdell was and is a decent to good X-Men writer in the 90's, being able to make stuff work out of mandated editorial events. His Generation X work was good as well. He also wrote High Roads, which is one of the best comics ever that should have been made into a movie years ago.

He's like Claremont in that he has a style that doesn't age well, and he's got some quirks in terms of how he characterizes people. The big thing people have is how he wrote Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 and how out of character Starfire was. He is also a big time friend to current DC editor in chief Bob Haras, so the way he's gotten gigs at DC since the reboot, it just comes across as nepotism. Because he really didn't write anything big time for years, since 2001 almost.

TexiKen on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

He's decent. Not great. Has high points at times, but he's definitely a Niceiza/Bedard-level writer. B-grade. He's the guy you normally put on a title to keep it alive util you find another A-list or hot writer to take over.

Problem is he comes from the school of Claremont, so if you dislike a character, that's it, you're screwed for his run.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    I would say he is notably worse than Niceiza or Bedard

CYpGAPn.png
    So the Trinity of Sin that spark the Trinity War thing are apparently
    Pandora who is actually Pandora from Greek Myth, The Phantom Stranger who is Judas(?) and Vic Sage aka the fucking Question who is now magical in origin and whatajsfjkajslfmka

CYpGAPn.png
    see, that's why I'm losing interest in DC.
    how does Pandora being a greek god allow her to cross over from the timestreams and merge or whatever? It made more sense if she was a new god or something that exists outside of the multiverse.

....unless the new gods are greek gods, no no no.

This discussion has been closed.