As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    At least we'll always have the Transformers franchise for toyetic shows. Heck, the female bots got/are getting toys with the current toyline.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We either need a cartoon company with a benevolent dictator (privately-held, run by a non-jackass), or a serious crowdsourcing movement so we can get more decent animation that survives on its merits.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On the one hand, crazy executives kill great stuff all the time. On the other hand, their whims bring them to life in ways far, far beyond what crowdsourcing could possibly do. Like Korra, or (to use a movie example) New Line handing over an unlimited budget to a relative unknown to make a Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And I really don't think shows being "toyetic" are over now. Marvel shows, Pokemon, the various anime card/spinny thing shows, etc. Besides, we've had insane adult toy collectors for decades now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that all this stuff is based on executive whim. Sure, they try to make decisions based on maximizing the audience, but often times they'll make decisions based on personal whims. They love show X, they don't get show Y at all, they'd rather not show Z succeed because it was greenlit by a predecessor and would make him look good, etc.

But executives change all the time. Obviously, the Nick execs that practically buried the last book of Airbender aren't the same execs that decided to greenlight at least two seasons of Korra, with a bigger per-episode budget to boot, even after the movie disappointed.

In other words, it's hard to say "the network hates X!" with any permanence.

So what you're saying is, the entertainment industry is baseball before the events in the Moneyball movie?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Speaking of crazy executives, apparently Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will not be getting a season three.

The reason, according to that article, is Jeph Loeb; the visionary who gave us Red Hulk now heads up Marvel's animation department.
    LOEB: That's certainly something that we're talking about. Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that's very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people's time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you're not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don't ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o'clock and suddenly feel like, "Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don't really know what's going on."

I think the bolded is the telling part. Executives cancelling successful programs that they didn't develop is not unheard of in the TV business; what's surprising is when they all but come out and admit it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So I know it's been said a million times, doesn't matter.

Damn is Korra awesome.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Speaking of crazy executives, apparently Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will not be getting a season three.

The reason, according to that article, is Jeph Loeb; the visionary who gave us Red Hulk now heads up Marvel's animation department.
    LOEB: That's certainly something that we're talking about. Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that's very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people's time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you're not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don't ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o'clock and suddenly feel like, "Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don't really know what's going on."

I think the bolded is the telling part. Executives cancelling successful programs that they didn't develop is not unheard of in the TV business; what's surprising is when they all but come out and admit it.

Loeb is a villain straight out of an issue of What The--!?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    What he's saying is that "the youth audience, who know how to use household tech better than their parents, of a cartoon where the writers are allowed to kill people, though not graphically, is too thick to DVR shows when they're going to miss them so they can catch up at a later date, and even if they aren't are too shallow to get engaged in long-running storylines anyway, and even if they aren't they too stupid to follow the 'previously ons'."

And there's nothing wrong with Red Hulk, just how Loeb wrote it.

It seems like the eras of franchise comics and cartoons that I enjoy are all too short because before I can enjoy the new take or the re-introduction of older stuff, some fucking hack fanboy swoops in and makes it the way it was when he was a kid (although I don't think that Loeb's actual problem...), and currently I'm not at the age of most comic-book/cartoon execs.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So should we expect Avengers:EMH to be replaced by The Ultimates once this season is over?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    So should we expect Avengers:EMH to be replaced by The Ultimates once this season is over?

Kid-friendly. Although maybe Loeb is just saying that as an excuse and will indeed be introducing incest and ultraviolence to cartoons aimed at people under 18.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

Kid-friendly. Although maybe Loeb is just saying that as an excuse and will indeed be introducing incest and ultraviolence to cartoons aimed at people under 18.

Well, I ment in name only like Ultimate Spider-Man. Hell apparently the Ultimates are going to be seen more in USM (we've already seen Iron Man), so they could just make a show based with those characters using the same animation. Oh god.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Well, I ment in name only like Ultimate Spider-Man. Hell apparently the Ultimates are going to be seen more in USM (we've already seen Iron Man), so they could just make a show based with those characters using the same animation. Oh god.

I mean, I can understand why they want to do it that way. If they're going to have the shows feel like they take place in the larger Marvel Universe, that requires interaction that isn't hilariously and obviously non-canon in the other show. (Compare the Living Laser in EMH and his appearance in the most recent USM.)

It's still stupid/shortsighted/petty/wasteful to create a show that's not in the same universe as the successful show already airing as an excuse to kill that show and replace it with something in line with the new show you're creating, as opposed to integrating the new show you're creating into the show that's already airing, but I can understand why a retarded blind douchebag egomaniac devil-worshipper hack might do it. That doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular

I'm beginning to think that Loeb was given control of the animated end of Marvel simply so he'd stop screwing with the comics end of the franchise. Can't say I'd blame them if that's the case.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I mean, I can understand why they want to do it that way. If they're going to have the shows feel like they take place in the larger Marvel Universe, that requires interaction that isn't hilariously and obviously non-canon in the other show. (Compare the Living Laser in EMH and his appearance in the most recent USM.)

It's still stupid/shortsighted/petty/wasteful to create a show that's not in the same universe as the successful show already airing as an excuse to kill that show and replace it with something in line with the new show you're creating, as opposed to integrating the new show you're creating into the show that's already airing, but I can understand why a retarded blind douchebag egomaniac devil-worshipper hack might do it. That doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.

Ultimate Spider-man is not in continuity with Marvel's films. Otherwise we'd see Spider-man, White Tiger, Luke Cage and Nova joining the Avengers in that film. It has a totally different tone, as well. The only recent cartoon I'd buy that would remotely be tied to that film universe is the Iron Man anime.

• Options
    FCD wrote: »

I'm beginning to think that Loeb was given control of the animated end of Marvel simply so he'd stop screwing with the comics end of the franchise. Can't say I'd blame them if that's the case.

I do. You don't give someone that incompetent more power, you give them less to reduce the damage they cause to the company. If they didn't want him messing with the comic division they needed to stop giving him assignments or at least high profile (and line wide effecting) jobs.

• Options
    Slicer wrote: »

I am currently picturing an Avengers show that has the Family Guy-esque presentation of Ultimate Spider-man and I can't help but groan.

You'd think working on a successful serialized show like Lost would give you the idea that the format can be a hit but apparently not!

Well yeah, but he also worked on Heroes.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular

I am currently picturing an Avengers show that has the Family Guy-esque presentation of Ultimate Spider-man and I can't help but groan.

You'd think working on a successful serialized show like Lost would give you the idea that the format can be a hit but apparently not!

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Even when Marvel does good in animation they seem to find a way to mess it up. Their animated movies started getting good so they killed them, Wolverine and the X-Men was awesome and it's gone, and the worst offender was Spectacular Spider-man. At least all those could a least partially be excused since I don't think they sold particularly well but EMH is doing great.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

You mean like Justice League? An amazing show that spanned 5 seasons, cemented a host of voice-actors as the voices of the comic book characters we've loved for decades, thus giving them a kind of solid continuity across multiple medias and making them stronger and more popular as result, as well as giving rise to awesome feature length animated films and video games year after year?

Sheesh, I can see why you'd want to avoid treading that ground. Especially as there exists no technology to provide easy access to media, making it impossible for anyone to know anything about the show without the TeeVee.

Gawd.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I can't wrap my head around why these animated comic book adaptions continue to be handled in the poorest, shittiest manner possible despite the movies making billions each.

Avengers isn't quite on the level of JL/JLU but it's sure as hell the best Marvel animated series to date. Why fuck up something that isn't bro-

Right, Jeff Loeb. Ultimatum.

I wish terrible people didn't have jobs.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Now, I hate Jeph Loeb and everything he does, but Jeff Parker turned Red Hulk into a pretty great character.

If you're going to name a horrible character Jeph Loeb created, stick with Romulus.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Now, I hate Jeph Loeb and everything he does, but Jeff Parker turned Red Hulk into a pretty great character.

If you're going to name a horrible character Jeph Loeb created, stick with Romulus.

The second I clicked that link a slow low groan exited my mouth.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So that rumor's confirmed then? I clicked the link, but I couldn't read it.

I was introduced to Loeb through The Long Halloween, a pretty cool Batman story made better by Tim Sale's artwork. Then I read Superman For All Seasons, a very neat take on Superman again made that much more awesome by Tim Sale. So I admit, I have some affection for the guy.

I guess I should say, had. When Heroes got all cocked up, I didn't think it had anything to do with him. Then the Ultimatum nonsense, and now canceling EMH for no significant reason? What the hell? That guy sucks.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MrDapper wrote: »

The second I clicked that link a slow low groan exited my mouth.

Well let's be fair here...how many comic writers haven't been responsible for a terrible idea centered around or inspired by Wolverine?

• Options

Ultimate Spider-man is not in continuity with Marvel's films.

I don't see any words of mine even referring to the Marvel films, but a very informative nonsequitr.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    ...and this is why I don't bother with anything Marvel animated any more.

I watched some Avengers, and I liked it. I'd been meaning to get back to it with season 2. Now I'm just sort of glad I more or less let it go.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I watched some Avengers, and I liked it. I'd been meaning to get back to it with season 2. Now I'm just sort of glad I more or less let it go.

If you haven't watched Spectacular Spider-Man, you absolutely should. And you might as well watch the second season of the Avengers, since not only does it open the show up to the entire Marvel Universe, but it has a scene where the Hulk beats a robot to death by using The Thing as a club.

At any rate, there's been a Pixar update. I'll just run down the future list:

Brave's coming out June 22. If you haven't seen the scene they're using as a trailer, you absolutely should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXgEgO0MmzU&feature=related

Next June is Monsters University. Apparently back then Mike and Sulley didn't like each other.

The year after that is The Good Dinosaur, a film about what would have happened if dinosaurs never went extinct.

And in 2015, there's currently two films planned. The first is The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind.

And the second is Dia de los Muertos, an original film about The Day of the Dead.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/24/pixar-announces-spooky-new-project-for-toy-story-3-director/

...yep, Pixar sure is piling on the sequels.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

If you haven't watched Spectacular Spider-Man, you absolutely should. And you might as well watch the second season of the Avengers, since not only does it open the show up to the entire Marvel Universe, but it has a scene where the Hulk beats a robot to death by using The Thing as a club.

At any rate, there's been a Pixar update. I'll just run down the future list:

Brave's coming out June 22. If you haven't seen the scene they're using as a trailer, you absolutely should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXgEgO0MmzU&feature=related

Next June is Monsters University. Apparently back then Mike and Sulley didn't like each other.

The year after that is The Good Dinosaur, a film about what would have happened if dinosaurs never went extinct.

And in 2015, there's currently two films planned. The first is The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind.

And the second is Dia de los Muertos, an original film about The Day of the Dead.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/24/pixar-announces-spooky-new-project-for-toy-story-3-director/

...yep, Pixar sure is piling on the sequels.

Hopefully it has John Goodman and a hallway on fire.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Outside the actual comics, Spectacular Spider-man is the best representation of Spidey in any medium.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Outside the actual comics, Spectacular Spider-man is the best representation of Spidey in any medium.

Yep. It also has the only incarnation of Venom that makes any sense.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man, that reminded me of one of those small touches that made me really fall in love with the show.
    When Spidey get's the black suit, it initially looks like the movie black suit. As he gives in to the symbiote it becomes the classic comic black suit.

So fucking genius.

• Options
    So one of the next DC DTV things might be... Flashpoint?
    Whoops. Seems Kevin Conroy, known to most of us as Batman, may have let it slip what DC property is next to be adapted into an animated feature. While appearing on the Nerdist Channel‘s weekly comic book show, Comic Book Club, Conroy said,

Oh I just, just last night, I recording a new animated movie…that features The Flash, it’s more about The Flash, but Batman is in it as well. It’s a Flash…Flashpoint! Flashpoint? I think it’s Flashpoint.

Forget the whole New 52 thing; did anyone actually like Flashpoint for what it was?

• Options
    I heard that the Batman Flashpoint story and the Frankenstein story were good stuff, but the main story wasn't that good.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    is flash point the story about the rapist version of Pigleg?
    369325.jpg

• Options
    No, it's about
    a world where Bruce was killed by the mugger instead of his parents, causing his dad to become Batman
    and his mom to become the Joker

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Yep. It also has the only incarnation of Venom that makes any sense.

I liked the Spider-man: TAS version.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    369325.jpg

Please tell me this isn't a real thing.

Please.

• Options
    369325.jpg

Please.

That's a character from The Tick.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    No, I mean the rapist version of said character.

• Options
    369325.jpg

Please.

That's a character from The Tick.

And a villain with the most fantastic backstory ever --- he became a bad guy because he has a pig for a leg.

If you ever get a chance, watch the episode "Heroes" from the second season. Glorious.

This discussion has been closed.