As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New World Order!

• Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ho-hum powers.... only unique thing is the forced retiremnt... love the Tony Stark candid stuff.

JCM on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You're ho-hum JCM.

I think this looks pretty sweet. At least enough to stick with it for about 5 issues or so. :D

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Little girl with giant hammer is such cliche anime territory.

I will be waiting for your impressions before I buy.

See she's a little girl, but she's strong. HOW ORIGINAL!

Algertman on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

She is not a fucking little girl.

Jesus, unless you consider a 20something a little girl, then stop saying that shit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    nothingclevernothingclever Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Ahahahaha. Dude. Trust me - of all the things that influence Matt - spaghetti westerns, the Pixies, the oeuvre of Burt Reynolds - anime and videogames come in dead last, or very nearly. He's basically the anti-PA reader.
    That preview sucked balls and pop culture "hip" references are always lame. "According to Wikipedia, like come on I said Wikipedia and like you probably use it so like you should laugh cuz I'm witty! Am I right or am I right? Maybe later I'll reference an actor too. GAWSH!"

The characters looked really bland and saying you drew them that way on purpose doesn't change that fact, the powers were kinda boring and the dialogue was shitty. Flying guy looks like he's just going to fly and smash with his fists. Hammer girl will fly with the power of her hammer AND smash with her hammer. (Oooooh how exciting!) Robot guy will smash and shoot up the place. Guy with cheetah robot legs will... run fast and make bad jokes. :/ I don't see how he can be speedy enough to do anything "super" like form a tornado like Flash does when running in a circle if his legs are robotic. Oh yeah, and the golem girl with shit out Golems to smash for her while the Shapeshifter sacrifices her beauty temporarily to get ugly and smash. Plus the characters were even described as lame cliches, one's a valleygirl/hick, hammer girl will most likely be a totally kewl emo punk with awesome dead parents, speed guy will try too hard to be funny, leader is wannabe jerk version of Tony Stark and the armor guy will probably be some snooty tuff guy.

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ahahahaha. Dude. Trust me - of all the things that influence Matt - spaghetti westerns, the Pixies, the oeuvre of Burt Reynolds - anime and videogames come in dead last, or very nearly. He's basically the anti-PA reader.
    That preview sucked balls and pop culture "hip" references are always lame. "According to Wikipedia, like come on I said Wikipedia and like you probably use it so like you should laugh cuz I'm witty! Am I right or am I right? Maybe later I'll reference an actor too. GAWSH!"

The characters looked really bland and saying you drew them that way on purpose doesn't change that fact, the powers kinda boring and the dialogue was shitty. Flying guy looks like he's just going to fly and smash with his fists. Hammer girl will fly with the power of her hammer AND smash with her hammer. (Oooooh how exciting!) Robot guy will smash and shoot up the place. Guy with cheetah robot legs will... run fast and make bad jokes. :/ I don't see how he can be speedy enough to do anything "super" like form a tornado like Flash does when running in a circle if his legs are robotic.
    Yes, how dare someone reference a widely used source of information.

How dare they.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I REGRET NOTHING!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

The characters looked really bland and saying you drew them that way on purpose doesn't change that fact, the powers kinda boring and the dialogue was shitty. Flying guy looks like he's just going to fly and smash with his fists. Hammer girl will fly with the power of her hammer AND smash with her hammer. (Oooooh how exciting!) Robot guy will smash and shoot up the place. Guy with cheetah robot legs will... run fast and make bad jokes. :/ I don't see how he can be speedy enough to do anything "super" like form a tornado like Flash does when running in a circle if his legs are robotic.

How dare they.
    Actually yeah because that shit is annoying and it leads to even more unfunny/witty shit like Deadpool saying chimichanga 5 times fast or sphincter says what. Or Deadpool talking about some really old actress named Bea Arthur and bitching at a TV saying she would've won a beauty contest. "Ahahaha he's saying a real life old person is better looking than the supermodels of today and cuz he referenced real life it's funny." /facepalm Deadpool's just one example but there's other really lame characters and I hate when they do that. Also stuff like Hulk ripping off someone's arms and asking him if he can control them while they're all the way in a different state is badass but sometimes the writers go overboard trying to be cool.

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How dare they.
    Actually yeah because that shit is annoying and it leads to even more unfunny/witty shit like Deadpool saying chimichanga 5 times fast or sphincter says what. Or Deadpool talking about some really old actress named Bea Arthur and bitching at a TV saying she would've won a beauty contest. "Ahahaha he's saying a real life old person is better looking than the supermodels of today and cuz he referenced real life it's funny." /facepalm Deadpool's just one example but there's other really lame character and I hate when they do that.
    You

uh

you're comparing Deadpool saying "Chimichanga" five times.

to Henry saying that he's called a drunk on Wikipedia.

:|

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How dare they.
    Actually yeah because that shit is annoying and it leads to even more unfunny/witty shit like Deadpool saying chimichanga 5 times fast or sphincter says what. Or Deadpool talking about some really old actress named Bea Arthur and bitching at a TV saying she would've won a beauty contest. "Ahahaha he's saying a real life old person is better looking than the supermodels of today and cuz he referenced real life it's funny." /facepalm Deadpool's just one example but there's other really lame character and I hate when they do that.
    You

uh

And you're not getting a point and trying to turn your lack of understanding into a retort. Good job. I'm saying it's lame and in the same category as trying to be funny or cool by referencing real life or making a "zany" joke. There's no reason for him to reference Wkipedia in the first place and I'd rather they keep the real world references to a minimum besides the names of places or whatever.

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How dare they.
    You

uh

And you're not getting a point and trying to turn your lack of understanding into a retort. Good job. I'm saying it's lame and in the same category of trying to be funny or cool by referencing real life or making "zany" joke.
    It's not trying to be funny or cool.

The story takes place in California in 2007. It's really not a stretch for some guy to mention Wikipedia.

Really, I would understand if he went "So, why do you want me to work for you? My Nike sponsorship bombed, Moutain Dew won't touch me, and I have at least 12 embarrassing videos of me on Youtube." The comic takes place in a realistic world, so things that are in the real world should be mentioned.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I doubt he's going to look himself up on Wikipedia and I doubt he has any need to tell us. It's not at the level of your example but it's getting there.
    It's like Xavier saying by the way guys I use Windows!

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How is one instance of a guy saying it "Getting there"?

The only really bad product placement I have seen is that Rush City miniseries a while back where the dude had a specific kind of car and said it fairly often.

Also, if I was relatively famous I would totally look myself up on Wikipedia.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Um, did you read any of the character descriptions? He makes a point to specifically mention Taiyō Matsumoto and Black and White.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, because that would be a non sequiter

This example is in context/

Let me know if the words I am using are too big for you.

Edit: this is directed at nothingclever in case you can't tell. (See, thats called context)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno man, I thought his speach was pretty nice. Added a lot to his character. Also, I thought it was him talking to someone, like for an interview. Not really a 'I'm telling the audience something'. I really like the line about shame having to be removed from addiction recovery in order to really recover.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How is one instance of a guy saying it "Getting there"?

The only really bad product placement I have seen is that Rush City miniseries a while back where the dude had a specific kind of car and said it fairly often.

Also, if I was relatively famous I would totally look myself up on Wikipedia.
    Ok, I'm tired of trying to debate this. All I'm saying is I find it annoying and I bet in this comic you will find references at roughly the level of your example.

You wouldn't regularly describe your life story in short form, specifically the highs and lows and mention Wikipedia in the process. Maybe you would but I doubt most would. Plus comparing your public record to Wikipedia looks it's trying to do something other than simply tell you his story. Now I just want to drop this because I feel dumber as I contue such a crappy discussion and I'm hijacking the thread.
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Let me know if the words I am using are too big for you.

Edit: this is directed at nothingclever in case you can't tell. (See, thats called context)

Edit: You're gifted in case you didn't know. And you know what, go explain it to me since you're so bright and enlightened.

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Most people wouldn't do that no, but most people aren't celebrities and thus dont have thier life stories on Wikipedia

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What Bale said.

Wikipedia is one of the most used sources of information on the internet, so it's the equivalent of saying "The Papers say I'm a full time drunk." or "The talk shows say I'm a full time drunk." he just used a specific example.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Whatever, if that's how you see it fine. Thanks for dragging things along for no reason though. I still stand by everything else I originally posted and the two of you have just ironically nitpicked one piece of what I wrote just like I supposedly exaggerated the reference to Wikipedia. You people must really like arguing. I'm not going to bother responding any more so I won't give anyone the chance to call me a troll.

Also just because someone ia a celebrity still doesn't mean he would look himself up on Wikipedia. Maybe you would but you also read comics and defend this character's reference adamantly.

http://mightygodking.livejournal.com/281748.html#cutid1

nothingclever on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    dude, you need to chill out, like this guy:

Iceman.gif

or maybe you should lighten up, like this guy:

Fantastic%20Four%20-%20Even%20better%20than%20Dan%20Ackroyds%20Johnny%20the%20Human%20Torch%20Halloween%20costume%20(350w).jpg

either way, just relax.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He is tenser than every muscle in the body of X-O Manowar as drawn by JCM.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Jesus, unless you consider a 20something a little girl, then stop saying that shit.

Then why does look like a pedophiles wet dream?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

She, uh, doesn't.

At all.

She looks like a early 20'sish punk rocker.

Which is what they were aiming for I think.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How dare they.
    You

uh

Cable/Deadpool is terrible

It's not the least bit funny

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

She, uh, doesn't.

At all.

She looks like a early 20'sish punk rocker.

Which is what they were aiming for I think.

No she looks like a Bratz Doll

That's what they were aiming for.

Algertman on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cable/Pool has its moments. But it's been shaky ever since the Burnt Offering arc. Nicieza should get Slott to co-write though, because holy fuck that GLI/Deadpool one-shot that came out this week was awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jesus christ Algertman, no one wants to hear your trolling bullshit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Cable/Pool has its moments. But it's been shaky ever since the Burnt Offering arc. Nicieza should get Slott to co-write though, because holy fuck that GLI/Deadpool one-shot that came out this week was awesome.

You could actually tell which part were written by each writer

Funny: Slott

Not Funny: Nicieza

Algertman on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

Um, did you read any of the character descriptions? He makes a point to specifically mention Taiyō Matsumoto and Black and White.

One may assume this is why I said "anime and videogames" rather than "manga." Matt's into the latter - although more the non-fantasy, non-sci-fi stuff like Adolf or Hotel Harbour View - but the only anime I ever remember him liking was FLCL.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

One may assume this is why I said "anime and videogames" rather than "manga."

A..anime is most often based off manga.

Furu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Look upwards for clarity

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, how dare Fraction take any influence from Asian comics! Why, if he does that, he's just going to write a bunch of insepid weeaboo shit! Look at Punisher War Journal- you might as well call it Naruto Ninja Diary!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I know, right? See also THE INVINCIBLE DESU KAWAII FIST

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously though, it's like people are trying to find reasons to hate this book.

I wasn't sure about it at first but the more I find out about it the more I want to read it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Indeed. Why haven't we seen them in other books yet?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Naruto Ninja Diary writtin by Frank Miller with art by Rob Liefield.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Seriously though, it's like people are trying to find reasons to hate this book.

I wasn't sure about it at first but the more I find out about it the more I want to read it.

Well, to me it suffers from one of the same things a lot of first(-ish) issues does: an overabundance of exposition to get the reader up to speed.

But on its own merits, it looks interesting enough for me to flip through it when (if) I see it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'd buy it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Where all the women are whores and have no feet

Algertman on