As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
GROUP SEATING!!!1!

FINALLY! After lots of work we finally got the BYOC area nailed down.

Group seating rules:
Groups are 6+ people only (the only exception to this is PAX Medical Pass holders, there are a couple)
A group leader needs to organize this and send me; Your choice of seats, a group name, list of people (handles are fine) in the group.
You guys get to work out who sits where within your group on your own.
Group seats will be reserved until Noon on friday. So you need to get everyone to show up before then. The seats will be released to general seating at that point.
PM me on these forums or email me ( reasonablylucid@gmail.com ) your group seat requests. I will get to each one within a couple hours at most.

Group seating will end the evening of August 26th.
(After that I am all packed up for PAX)

WARNING! THIS PICTURE IS LARGE!
Prime2012.jpg
Here's some misc notes on this layout:
This is the 3rd floor of the Conference center (annex)
The red line is 4ft high pipe/drape. The only solid walls are on the right and bottom sides. On the other side of the pipe/drape is Non-BYOC attendee walkspace. You cannot cross this. Lots of security will be present.
Closest bathrooms are just past the exit in the top left of the room.
Speakers are in ceiling. Everybody gets to hear my lovely voice all weekend. (No escape! Muhahaha) Although quietest space is against the wall on the right side of the room.
We are going to try to have two projectors up displaying the concert feed, they will be against the wall on the right

BYOC is here:
http://wsctc.com/our_space/conf_center.aspx
3rd floor, right side.

Groups:

A 8-20: [LNI]NoLagInfantry
A 21-30: Intel
B 21-30: Intel
C 1-9: Purveyors of Dexterous Awesomeness
D 1-9: Purveyors of Dexterous Awesomeness
C 10-14: Grizzled Veterans
D 10-13: Grizzled Veterans
D 14-19: Eastside Grognards
C 21-30: Killer Waffle Attack
D 21-30: Killer Waffle Attack
E 1-4: Whaaaaat?!
F 1-4: Whaaaaat?!
E 10-13: CS is Dead
F 9-13: CS is Dead
E 5-9: LightSwitchRavers
F 5-8: LightSwitchRavers
F 14-19: Are You a Reaper?
E 22-27: Zed's Dead
F 20-27: StudentRND
G 1-11: TBO
G 13-18: The Fighting Mongooses
G 20-27: The Guardians
H 1-12: Party Time, [E]xcellent!
H 23-27: Breslin
I 1-9: PACKS IRC
J 1-9: PACKS IRC
I 10-12: Cool kids
J 10-12: Cool kids
I 17-21: Breslin
J 21: Med pass seat #2
K 1-6: Rock Lobsters
L 1-7: Rock Lobsters
K 16-21: The Irkin Empire
L 17-21: The Irkin Empire
M 1-12: BLE
N 1-12: BLE
Q 1-5: Team Teabag
R 1-5: Team Teabag
Q 6-9: Truefriends
R 6-9: Truefriends
R 20-21: Med Pass seat #1
Q 17-21: Project Nom
R 17-19: Project Nom

Old OP:
Looks like extras made available are gone again! Doh! I know we wont have any more available again. See you guys there!

Expect group seating early-mid august!

Heads up! BYOC Badges are being mailed separately.

https://v2.interactiveticketing.com/tickets/t27_2012_pax_prime_120426eccd/register.php?f=1#items

OMG REG IS LIVE SO SOON?!?!?
Yup!

It is not done on the LANfest site this time. It is done as part of the PAX Badge registration process.

When you add a 3day badge to your cart and hit checkout, you will have an option to add BYOC reg to your cart.

As always, please follow @Prime_BYOC on twitter for the most up to date Info.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
Moe Fwacky on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Q: How many BYOC Spots will be available?
    A: Around 500 seats. We have changed locations in the WSCC and have added 200 more seats in a second wave of tickets.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: $35 in addition to your PAX 3day pass.
    Yeah.... it went up. Rising costs and all that.

Q: How do I get my BYOC Badge? Do I pick it up like normal?
    A: NOPE! This has changed for this year... BYOC Badges are being mailed separately.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start 2 hours before PAX opening. We aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Same hours as PAX. The room will have to be cleared at PAX closing. About 30min before closing there will be an in-room announcement to start wrapping up your games or whatever for the night before everyone gets kicked out at closing.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the Last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to Check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, COD4/5/6/7/8/9/10/etc, BF3, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Super Monday Night Combat, L4D2, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.
    No you aren't seeing things, we have changed this for this PAX Prime (OId rule was 24" max). The new space we are in allows us a greater power density.

Q: Can I bring multiple monitors?
    A: Nope, You get two power outlets (computer, monitor). Only 1 computer and 1 monitor. You can buy multiple seats to bring extra stuff if you choose.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
    A: NO! PAX and the convention center don’t allow this. It presents a safety issue with chairs that take up too much space and can roll into the aisle.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat , So you will have to power down something of your desktop to charge your laptop.

Q: how much power do I get per BYOC seat?
    A: 3 amps per seat and two outlets, if you need more than this for your system you will have to purchase multiple seats.

Q: Can I bring a switch or own Power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
    A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE no as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise; depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
    A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
    A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
    A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You can’t bring in a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
    A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it won’t be allowed in (think lunchbox sized cooler).

Q: 3days are sold out! NOOOOOOO! What if I get 3 1 day passes? Will those work with the BYOC badge?
    A: Yup! you just have to get into PAX with the PAX pass before you get into BYOC.

All information is subject to change as that’s the nature of the convention beast. We are not trying to be mean, things can always change without notice.

BigRed on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    ...with chairs that take up too much space and can roll into the isles.

*cough*spellingerror*cough*

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Maybe there are islands in BYOC this year? Who knows?

E6LkoFK.png

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    When will we find out about potential tournaments? Also is there any way to make requests for server configuration for particular games, say TF2? Having bball would be awesome :D

Also, reg is overloaded D:

Funny nobody caught it before, I copy/pasta'ed that post since last prime :P

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Maybe there are islands in BYOC this year? Who knows?

Impossible, the next PAX expansion is Bouncy Castle Freeplay...

...shit, did I say that out loud?

@MOSFET: I'm sure there will be some custom TF2 games going. I'd be shocked if there wasn't any Dodgeball (hopefully with "ERROR!").

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    bouncy castle freeplay?! yessss!!

Usual question about group reg. Just send BR a list of the group along with a group name?

vhkbviT.png
    Alphonsis wrote: »
    bouncy castle freeplay?! yessss!!

Usual question about group reg. Just send BR a list of the group along with a group name?

Group seating reg will wait a while before it goes live. We need the layout finalized before I can start accepting those. Id say expect it late June/mid July.

okies dokies. thanks for the quick response BR.

btw, why the change from lanfest? Just out of curiosity.

vhkbviT.png
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    Since the BYOC tix are in the main reg process this year, are we able to decide at a later time to purchase BYOC passes or do we have to foot the entire bill now? Just closed on a house, $100 is a lot at the moment.

Since the BYOC tix are in the main reg process this year, are we able to decide at a later time to purchase BYOC passes or do we have to foot the entire bill now? Just closed on a house, $100 is a lot at the moment.

You have to purchase it with the 3day pass, there is no way to do it at a later time. (unless you buy another 3day pass)

also, just something I noticed. I was trying to purchase 5 3 day passes for my group, but on the last page, the drop down menu for byoc caps out at 4.

I had to buy four 3day passes instead so I could also get four byoc passes.

vhkbviT.png
  • BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    I'm ready to go! Looking forward to getting out to PAX this year after missing the last!

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    woot! I'm curious what the number is at already ;-) I imagine that it won't take long to sell out

7jIDTca.png
    Yeah, I will be surprised if it lasts until next week.

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Do BYOC organizers provide all server resources? Who handles server setup and configuration? Will there be a thread for these questions?

MOSFET wrote: »
    Do BYOC organizers provide all server resources? Who handles server setup and configuration? Will there be a thread for these questions?

Yes, servers are provided (to what we can do dedicated servers on anyway).
    There is a server team that does this.

Why?

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    OMG changes! Thank the lord the Bank of Father-in-Law can bankroll the cost of 2x 3-day badges and 2x BYOC up front. The change has me shaken, but I'm really hoping it'll bring in some fresh blood that will treat it LESS like a place to stash their swag and more of a place to LAN IT UP!! :D

fss_overall.png
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    I am disappointed in the lack of bouncy castles.

Vanus wrote: »
    I am disappointed in the lack of bouncy castles.

You and me both. I keep lobbying for it though! I AM FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!

• trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    but I'm really hoping it'll bring in some fresh blood that will treat it LESS like a place to stash their swag and more of a place to LAN IT UP!! :D

A friend of mine already purchased his pass for this reason (and a place to sit) and kept citing it for me to get one. I'm on the fence this year. As much as I enjoy the atmosphere of BYOC (and bridge building and pwny making) it never seems to work out with my group of friends (gaming rigs break, panel schedule, ZOMGSWAGGRAB, off site parties) so I have a blast with the side activities and everything else PAX so it feels like I never get enough straight up BYOC time in. Not to mention the whole homeownership tanked my budget bit. Hopefully I'll have a few days to mull it over before a decision gets made for me. Then again tomorrow is payday...

• VanusVanus Registered User regular
    Looking through the 2011 thread, it would seem I made vague claims to doing a bouncy castle case mod for this year. Probably not going to happen. Unless I get a bunch of animal balloon-type balloons...

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Assuming the charge on my CC goes through, I'm all set for BYOC this year. I personally thought the HDD Shuffleboard was great and would love to see that return. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • screaminglemonscreaminglemon Registered User regular
    ... it never seems to work out with my group of friends (gaming rigs break, panel schedule, ZOMGSWAGGRAB, off site parties) ...

I will be happy if i don't break TWO friggin computers this year in BYOC.

• IshmaelDSIshmaelDS IT Guy Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member
    What's the deal with organizing a group? How many do we have to have to get a reserved slot near each other?

IshmaelDS wrote: »
    What's the deal with organizing a group? How many do we have to have to get a reserved slot near each other?

Group seating will go live much later. If you follow the Prime_BYOC twitter account I will post there (and the forums) when it does go up.

Group seating will be a group of 6+

• matguymatguy Registered User regular
    Is there a minimum age for BYOC? My son may be with me at times and he gets free entrance to PAX being in the 6 and under crowd, but I'm assuming I'd need a full 3 day pass for him to be able to get him in to BYOC? (and yes, we would be bringing his computer) It's fine, I'd just hate to buy one and then find out there's a minimum age and I didn't need to buy one to begin with.

edited April 2012
    matguy wrote: »
    Is there a minimum age for BYOC? My son may be with me at times and he gets free entrance to PAX being in the 6 and under crowd, but I'm assuming I'd need a full 3 day pass for him to be able to get him in to BYOC? (and yes, we would be bringing his computer) It's fine, I'd just hate to buy one and then find out there's a minimum age and I didn't need to buy one to begin with.

He gets into PAX for free (if you are accompanying him the whole time), but he does Indeed need a BYOC Pass to be in BYOC.

Edit:
    You should know that BYOC isn't exactly kid friendly though. Lots of loud cursing and whatnot while in games, heh.

BigRed on
  • matguymatguy Registered User regular
    He gets into PAX for free (if you are accompanying him the whole time), but he does Indeed need a BYOC Pass to be in BYOC.

Edit:
    You should know that BYOC isn't exactly kid friendly though. Lots of loud cursing and whatnot while in games, heh.

He lives at my house, he's used to that kind of thing ;)

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    Group seating will go live much later. If you follow the Prime_BYOC twitter account I will post there (and the forums) when it does go up.

Group seating will be a group of 6+

Does this include accessible seating as well for people in wheelchairs and such?

matguy wrote: »

Edit:

He lives at my house, he's used to that kind of thing ;)

Hey as long as you are ok with it then its all good :)

• allykittzeyallykittzey Registered User new member
    I have a question. I stupidly bought 3 BYOC passes with my 3 3Day passes, not really knowing what it was (I just saw it on the bottom of the site and went for it before I found out.... yes, stupid, I know, I was just SUPER excited to register) .

Anyway, I can't find a way to return just those 3 BYOC passes. I definitely do not want to scalp these tickets, I would rather just get back the money I paid for them and give them to someone who wants/needs them through the PAX site.

Does anyone know how I could do that?

Thank you!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a question. I stupidly bought 3 BYOC passes with my 3 3Day passes, not really knowing what it was (I just saw it on the bottom of the site and went for it before I found out.... yes, stupid, I know, I was just SUPER excited to register) .

Anyway, I can't find a way to return just those 3 BYOC passes. I definitely do not want to scalp these tickets, I would rather just get back the money I paid for them and give them to someone who wants/needs them through the PAX site.

Thank you!

There was a nice warning during checkout that said "no refunds". You can try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com with your plight though, they may be able to help you.

• allykittzeyallykittzey Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »

Thank you!

There was a nice warning during checkout that said "no refunds". You can try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com with your plight though, they may be able to help you.

Yes, I did see the "no refunds" warning - again with the me-being-stupid. Thank you for the email information! I will email them and see what they can do. If nothing else, I will just wait for the passes to run out and then sell them at the regular price, to be fair. I am sure that there will be one or three people out there who could use them.

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    Registered for 3day pass and BYOC right before the registration went down. Really looking forward to it this year.

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    Holy cow! eek! Alright, I'm on it!

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ValanderValander Registered User regular
    As soon as the site comes back up, I'm in! I got to "Make Payment" twice and it crashed both times. :(

D.
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Shouldn't the title say 'REG -was- LIVE?

That sucks for PA. I'm glad the decision was made fairly quickly to dump this new vendor and go back to the old one. Whats happening to BYOC tix? can the old vendor do it?

7jIDTca.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Alrighty Im all reg'd for PAX and BYOC! :D

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • LLJKCiceroLLJKCicero Registered User regular
    I'm in. Do people usually do any kind of impromptu tournaments? I love me some Starcraft.

This discussion has been closed.