As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Welp, I guess I'm done with Metro 2033. Got to Polis station after a long stretch of outdoors with no filters left. Get inside to a place with merchants. None are selling filters. Go right back outside. Die within 3 minutes.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Usually, if you poke around, you'll be able to find a filter or two lying on the ground somewhere.

Edit: also shocks me that none are selling filters. If they aren't, then there are definitely some lying somewhere nearby.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Welp, I guess I'm done with Metro 2033. Got to Polis station after a long stretch of outdoors with no filters left. Get inside to a place with merchants. None are selling filters. Go right back outside. Die within 3 minutes.

Usually, if you poke around, you'll be able to find a filter or two lying on the ground somewhere.

Edit: also shocks me that none are selling filters. If they aren't, then there are definitely some lying somewhere nearby.

I didn't see any. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore, so that might have something to do with it. It's the part right before the library.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Also, does anyone ever actually leave vsync turned on? Turning it off is step 1 every time I play a game.

I have vsync turned on globally. I haaaaaaaaaate tearing.

I use triple buffering to make sure I don't get any framerates halved. Seems to work fine. I tried nvidia's new adaptive vsync and it didn't work.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    What's a better investment?

Wired 360 controller
    Wireless adapter for PC to use the 2 360 controllers I already have
    PS3 controller since my laptop has bluetooth

IMO wired 360. So many games these days are ready made for it; and unless they've drastically changed how the 360 wireless adapter works, I had all sorts of problems with it.

I keep my 360 next to my PC, and you can't really "share" the controller between the two because if you try to turn it on for the PC it will also turn on the 360; and will try to be synced to it, even if you sync it to the PC. It's a massive headache and wasn't even remotely worth the issues. I got a wired 360 controller and couldn't be happier with it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I got a cheap 10 buck wireless adapter for my 360 controller and it works flawlessly.

I did this too. I had some hassle with getting the driver figured out at first, but it's worked great since then.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    porcporc Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance...but even with a Linux Steam client, you're still stuck playing only Linux games...right?

Well of course. But there are quite a lot of games on Steam that have Linux versions already and that article mentions that Valve will be lobbying other game developers to bring their games to Linux (plus they'll be bringing all their own games to Linux), so it'll increase quite a bit. Although obviously there will be less games than Windows.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    There have been a ton of Mac ports - and a surprising number done in-house instead of handed off to Asypr - since Steam added Mac support. I hope the same happens for Linux; I only run it on servers myself but I know there are a lot of people trying to make a go of things with it as their primary desktop environment.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Yeah my wireless PC adapter seemed like an OEM affair but has worked perfectly.

Although a wired 360 will give you one more controller, and really how often will you need more than one for your PC.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

Wired 360 controller

IMO wired 360. So many games these days are ready made for it; and unless they've drastically changed how the 360 wireless adapter works, I had all sorts of problems with it.

I keep my 360 next to my PC, and you can't really "share" the controller between the two because if you try to turn it on for the PC it will also turn on the 360; and will try to be synced to it, even if you sync it to the PC. It's a massive headache and wasn't even remotely worth the issues. I got a wired 360 controller and couldn't be happier with it.

For what it's worth, I got my wireless adapter a couple years ago, and I've never had any of these issues. Switching between my Xbox and my PC takes seconds, and it's worked flawlessly. So YMMV. If you're like me and hate wires, the wireless adapter might be worth picking up.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It ought to be noted that "fixing" the mouse sensitivity in Dead Space still results in it being terrible because then whenever you open a menu you'll have incredible difficulty selecting anything because of the hypersensitivity of the cursor

Dead Space was a shitty shit shit port

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So; did I miss a post on Toy Soldiers?

I could have sworn I saw people here, and an article on Joystiq, saying it was going to be released on Steam yesterday but as far as I can tell it's still not there. Was it delayed or something?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So this new F2P game, World of Battles looks kind of cool. Is it any good?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular

I didn't see any. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore, so that might have something to do with it. It's the part right before the library.
    There's a corpse with a filter right outside of where you start when you're about to head to the library. Check to the left by a wall. There's also one in the part of the ground that's torn up and filled with radioactive water, but it doesn't always have a filter. Also, to get around the low filters just take your mask off and put it back on after about 15-20 seconds of suffocation. It will prevent you from wasting all of the time of the filter, and eventually you will find more. I ended up with 15+ minutes worth of filters, I just had to keep that up through the library and make sure my mask wasn't heavily damaged.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Just to reiterate, I had no memorable technical problems at all with DS1. I don't think I had to touch anything V-sync related. Aiming with the mouse was mushy, but not so bad that I couldn't deal with it. I'm usually pretty picky about controls that don't "feel" right, too; it's one of the main reasons I've abandoned multiple attempts at playing through Bioshock.

Obviously lots of people have had bad experiences with it, so mine is presumably the exception rather than the norm.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Time to give something back!

signature.png

By the way, the makers of Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please are saying that this sale is essentially a last-ditch attempt to fund their next game. Help them out! http://www.sizefivegames.com/2012/04/25/size-five-fund-drive/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Wired 360 controller

Which controller is more comfortable for you? I dig the dual shock, but most people prefer the 360 pad.

The cheapest option is to use the PS3 controller, since you'd just need a USB cable and some free software.

Wired 360 controller will cost more and might not be easy to find, but it would be pnp.

Wireless adaptor would be the best, but I've heard a few people complainin that the official ones burn out quickly.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

There's a corpse with a filter right outside of where you start when you're about to head to the library. Check to the left by a wall. There's also one in the part of the ground that's torn up and filled with radioactive water, but it doesn't always have a filter. Also, to get around the low filters just take your mask off and put it back on after about 15-20 seconds of suffocation. It will prevent you from wasting all of the time of the filter, and eventually you will find more. I ended up with 15+ minutes worth of filters, I just had to keep that up through the library and make sure my mask wasn't heavily damaged.

Yeah, that's basically what I just did. That whole section was a nightmare, but I somehow got through it. I just finished the library and am at some base with 2 minutes of filter left. Hopefully I can either buy some or not have any big mask areas anymore. Definitely my least favorite part of the game.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Which controller is more comfortable for you? I dig the dual shock, but most people prefer the 360 pad.

The cheapest option is to use the PS3 controller, since you'd just need a USB cable and some free software.

Wired 360 controller will cost more and might not be easy to find, but it would be pnp.

Wireless adaptor would be the best, but I've heard a few people complainin that the official ones burn out quickly.

I just use a cheapo Logitech dual stick USB gamepad... it doesn't have the weight or quality of the PS3/Xbox controllers, and it lacks a rumbler, but it has all the buttons you need and has performed admirably for me. Of course, I'll only bust it out for those titles where mouse/KB are otherwise unworkable, so it's rarely used, but it does the job.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

signature.png

By the way, the makers of Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please are saying that this sale is essentially a last-ditch attempt to fund their next game. Help them out! http://www.sizefivegames.com/2012/04/25/size-five-fund-drive/

Pfff - no one actually sells games to fund development any more. It's kickstarters all the way down...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

signature.png

That's not exactly accurate.
    Someone’s going to suggest I start a Kickstarter (I can’t, I’m not in the US) but regardless I don’t really fancy that sort of alpha funding. I’ll explain why in the comments.

Truth is, I’ve got enough cash saved up to make The Swindle amazing. I guess what this boils down to is that if this sale goes well I can afford some help to make it even amazingerer, so please help spread the word and get more copies sold.

• Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    I've never been able to finish Ben and Dan games, mostly because they're so funny I just have to try using every item in every possible place, to hear everything the characters have to say.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    dead space 1 is a crappy port that still runs better than source games on low-spec machines

and it's a great experience

if you haven't play it, do so

if you have played it, PLAY IT AGAIN

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    This is an excellent recommendation for a game I previously had no interest in. Bought for $1.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Lone Survivor is freaking me out.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    dead space 1 is a crappy port that still runs better than source games on low-spec machines
    Not always. Source engine games would run circles around DS1 on my old graphic card.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Yeah, that's basically what I just did. That whole section was a nightmare, but I somehow got through it. I just finished the library and am at some base with 2 minutes of filter left. Hopefully I can either buy some or not have any big mask areas anymore. Definitely my least favorite part of the game.

Pretty sure you can also restart the game on a per-level basis from the main game menu. I think you'll end up with "default" equipment that might not be as good as what you had collected up to that point, but you should also get some filters or be at a point where you can get filters beforehand. Not completely sure, though.

And if the numbers associated with filters seems weird, that's because they are. A given filter might have X minutes of air that shows on your watch, but the number it shows when you pick up filters is the actual breathing time you have across all the filters.

Possibly. I've never found out for certain.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    And if the numbers associated with filters seems weird, that's because they are. A given filter might have X minutes of air that shows on your watch, but the number it shows when you pick up filters is the actual breathing time you have across all the filters.

It is hilarious/infuriating that there still doesn't seem to be anybody who is positive about this, considering the amount of time that's passed since the game was released. LOL Eastern European developers?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean... I initially played HL2 on my PC from like ten years ago

That said, they have shinied the game up a lot since then so it probably wouldn't run on that PC now

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Torchlight II is up for preorder now at $19.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Special preorder deal: preorder the game and get the first Torchlight for free. Only problem there is who doesn't already own Torchlight?

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

It is hilarious/infuriating that there still doesn't seem to be anybody who is positive about this, considering the amount of time that's passed since the game was released. LOL Eastern European developers?

its the total time, also you can only pick up used filters (the ones around dead bodies) if your under 10 minutes of air and each one is only a minute of breathing time. The ranger difficulties are really meant for people who have already played the game once through and know where they are going.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGGybAEZkc
    signature.png
    Giving away 2 copies. Good luck!

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SteevL wrote: »
    Torchlight II is up for preorder now at $19.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Special preorder deal: preorder the game and get the first Torchlight for free. Only problem there is who doesn't already own Torchlight?

Nice. It's only 20 bucks? I didn't think it be so cheap new.

I'll probably pre-order sometime this summer.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

"Summer 2012"

So after Diablo 3. Great timing, that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, just got an e-mail from Cryptic Studios, telling me my account information may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, and that I can go to the Champions Online or Star Trek Online websites to recover my password, etc.

I have never played Champions Online or Star Trek Online.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So, just got an e-mail from Cryptic Studios, telling me my account information may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, and that I can go to the Champions Online or Star Trek Online websites to recover my password, etc.

City of Heroes/Villains? A Beta or trial?

Phishing?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Ever played any of the games by perfect world?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So; did I miss a post on Toy Soldiers?

I could have sworn I saw people here, and an article on Joystiq, saying it was going to be released on Steam yesterday but as far as I can tell it's still not there. Was it delayed or something?

I am just as confused as you are. I have seen references to "its coming out today!" and news posts about it coming out, and people talking about how fun the game is. I don't see it on steam and it doesn't come up on search....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shade wrote: »

its the total time, also you can only pick up used filters (the ones around dead bodies) if your under 10 minutes of air and each one is only a minute of breathing time. The ranger difficulties are really meant for people who have already played the game once through and know where they are going.

Yeah, the ranger difficulty would be much easier if I had a clue what I was doing. I was doing great with filters up until that nazi building. I cleared it out, but it took me forever to figure out where I needed to go to leave it. Once I finally did, I had less than a minute of air. I just ran past the patrol outside and kept suffocating until I finally managed to find the way forward. I had hoped I could buy more filters after that, but nope.

Still, I really like the lack of a hud with the ranger difficulty. It makes the game much more immersive. I would only shoot from the hip if something was right in my face until I finally got a gun with a laser sight.

I tried selecting Load instead of Continue and selected the save from back at Polis station, but it was still my save with no filters. I'll just have to be more careful from now on, I guess. I pretty much ran through the top floor of the library, shooting librarians all over the place.

• Options
    @heenato, that's it, I forgot Blacklight: Retribution was under their umbrella. I don't know why the heck they compose the e-mail and direct people to the Champions and STO websites like this though.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Original Prototype has FINALLY gotten a price drop from the ridiculous 40 dollars to 20 bucks base price. Might have to snag it when it's on sale some day now.

This discussion has been closed.