As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ceci n'est pas une webcomic thread

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I know which twin to shoot

VRXwDW7.png
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Nah. I'm not going to post it or say who it is. And if anyone here finds out, I ask you do the same. It's just my first time really getting someone who wants me to give them a serious critique.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    It regularly uses 4Chan/Reddit memes

Does it use these memes to support the punchline or to be the punchline?

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Nah. I'm not going to post it or say who it is. And if anyone here finds out, I ask you do the same. It's just my first time really getting someone who wants me to give them a serious critique.

I've actually considered showing you some of my writing to see what you think, but then I pussed the fuck out.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

Punchline.

Kill it with fire.

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

Punchline.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Punchline.

Kill them.

Ensure no one finds the body.

Fyndir wrote: »

I've actually considered showing you some of my writing to see what you think, but then I pussed the fuck out.

My advice to anyone here is post in the AC. If I wanted to critique work, I'd just do it there, and I don't

My advice to anyone here is post in the AC. If I wanted to critique work, I'd just do it there, and I don't

Oh god, no, I would never actually post anything I drew for critique, because I know I can't draw worth shit.

I was wary of making a WB thread because I couldn't find a rules thread, and ran away like a little girl, weeping and tripping over my skirts.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    no way I would never voluntarily put anything of mine in AC

I wouldn't be able to take it

just burst into flames with the first harsh word

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So, I have a dilemma. Someone has asked me to critique their work.

The art is something like Cyanide & Happiness, but way more crude
    And the jokes are very base level "my first comic."
    Also it's already making excuses for lack of updates

Guy, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. Please do whatever the people below this post say to do.

I think you should show us an example of this comic so that we can mock critique it more thoroughly
    Don't do that, this person asked ronnie privately for his opinion. That would be a dick thing to do to someone who came to you in confidence.

In art critique I think being candid is important. If it sucks, he should know it. The artist's corner here can be damn brutal, but it also seems like a lot of top-notch artists did a lot of getting better there.

Actually you could try telling this person to post his stuff for critique in the AC, but with the warning that they will almost certainly be ruthless. Critiques aren't for getting compliments, they're for finding flaws and things that could be done better.

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2012
    The AC is for writing, too

I dunno how many of you know this, but Whomp! basically started in the AC. The art wasn't criticized nearly as much as the writing. Nearly every comic the first year got posted there before going up. It caused me to grow an eye for self-criticism, but it's always bloodshot and teary.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    But Ronnie, the Writer's Block is for writing.

I didn't know people posted writing in the AC either, I thought that was what the writer's block was for.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    It's awkward when young hopefuls share their comic and I just know they have the hope that I'll add their name to the links on my site (if they haven't outright requested it) because I know what it was like to have been in that stage. But I still sometimes struggle with what to say to it. I go with something like "Don't worry about people seeing your work just yet. It's a big fat journey and over time readership will accumulate, but if you stress about attention early on you'll end up focusing on the wrong things to develop!"

It's rare though that I get asked for a full on critique. I've gotten it from high schoolers before and there's not much to say except "Start drawing from observation!"

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    The AC is for writing, too

Oh, really?

I just assumed it was all for drawings, the only thing I go there for is tynic's thread when she posts cool stuff.

My bad. <3

edited April 2012

Ah, well. Oops. Okay go to Writer's Block then, sorry

My brain sees writing and drawing both as equal forms of art.

Maybe the AC should be called Graphic Artist's Corner

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited April 2012
    I love how many talented artists I see around the web that graduated from the AC school of hard knocks. Makes me feel like I'm sort of distantly related to them.
    But then I've never actually posted any of my stuff in there so I guess I'm more like a spectator.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    tumblr_m2ojbsUS8i1qhlsrfo1_500.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I seriously can't recommend listening to ALL the old Webcomics Weekly podcasts enough. There's still good info in there, folks.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos

Punchline.

oaIIv.jpg

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I've been slowly working to transform the AC into an interpretive dance forum.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I seriously can't recommend listening to ALL the old Webcomics Weekly podcasts enough. There's still good info in there, folks.

except for the one where they spend the whole episode trashing Achewood.

god damnit that girls with a z comic makes me mad on many different levels

BahamutZERO.gif
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular

who did this

who hurt my baby

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    tumblr_m2q8tjd6Ao1r7ogo4o1_500.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg

According to the information and rules stickies in AC you are correct about them being accepting of other artforms, like writing and music.

So, you know, that's cool.

I have a thing I wrote that my friends seemed to like, some feedback from strangers is a terrifying concept, but potentially far more helpful.

I will do some lurking and such and then see about taking that leap.
    If this goes badly for me, Ronald, I'm taking you down with me.

Well, Achewood looks dumb and the writing is weird. It's easy to think it's not quality without reading a ton of it. Also they went back on that and acknowledged they were wrong about it in a later podcast.

According to the information and rules stickies in AC you are correct about them being accepting of other artforms, like writing and music.

So, you know, that's cool.

I have a thing I wrote that my friends seemed to like, some feedback from strangers is a terrifying concept, but potentially far more helpful.

I will do some lurking and such and then see about taking that leap.
    If this goes badly for me, Ronald, I'm taking you down with me.

I will stand on your corpse if it means I can be a foot taller.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    everything about achewood is fantastic

everything. even the strip where teodor jerkss the ten inch phallus

• maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    Well Ronnie, tell him that exactly.

If you have bad/simplistic art you have to have strong writing. 4chan/reddit memes is not.

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    nothing even came close to achewood when it was in its prime

sig-1.jpg
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    there was a time when no one would give a comic that looked like someone had shoved a pen up their ass and wiggled it around on a piece of paper a chance as a cartoon.

Those were dark times.

Also, really fucking ugly times.

Oh shit, we're still in those times.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    tumblr_m2q8tjd6Ao1r7ogo4o1_500.jpg
    what?

BahamutZERO.gif
    I prefer Starfighter over this webcomic. Not because Teahouse is bad, its just so goddamn sparkly, I just

Forget it, Bahamut. It's tumblr.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DMAC wrote: »

that explains a hell of a lot.

RvrNo.jpg

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would say they should read as many comics as possible and try imitation until they figure out their own style. Newspaper strips like Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes are good examples, because they are so simple and economical. Setup, beat, punchline.

but using memes isn't imitation, it's regurgitation. It's the art equivalent of a hairball.

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »

that explains a hell of a lot.

Oh man I support the Dancer's Corner revolution. And then when mods are locking threads they would do it through actual locking.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVE4DrXC2hg

( @TrippyJing )

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Punchline.

oaIIv.jpg

This is the worst comic on the internet

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.