As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ugh, I'm getting so tired of seeing ChrisG's Morrigan spamming up all the streams. They gotta fix that.

Haha, I know...him versus Dieminion is the worst. I mean, I really respect their skill but let's be honest, that shit is lame to watch. I think taking away her meter gain during it would really help.

Plus I just really like fire. If I wasn't so well practiced with Doom, I'd find another fire character to go along with Ghost Rider and Dormammu. Maybe Skrull?

Firebrand is another option and he works pretty well with Dormammu once you get into learning unblockable setups. For your "theme" though, Skrull probably works better.

House of Paincakes on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What are you having problems with during the galactus fight?

Well, I was pretty inconsistent against his 2 shadow henchmen dudes (Taskmaster and Wesker, though I guess they're random?) sometimes I could take them down with minimal effort, sometimes I'd barely get past them, and I couldn't tell what I was doing different or wrong in either scenario, so that was frustrating. :P

But yeah, the big guy himself, he telegraphs his attacks well enough but I could never seem to block or dodge anything. And sometimes he just literally filled the screen with a OHKO laser attack. That's butts.

I finally beat him using that Vergil spam move, and I guess that's fair enough - most superbosses in fighting games require a totally different approach than the rest of the game. It's just this one in particular took me way longer to beat. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Firebrand is another option and he works pretty well with Dormammu once you get into learning unblockable setups. For your "theme" though, Skrull probably works better.

I can't remember coming across a Firebrand that was really, really good and dangerous, but I do know that he really keeps me on edge whenever I fight him. All that kicking and diving and those fireballs... AGH. Then I do something to try to attack and find myself sliding across the screen on my back.

It's always a big, big relief when I land the one Haggar pipe I need to take Firebrand out of the fight. Guy gives me the jitters.

• Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not replacing Doom, especially with Firebrand. :P

xbl: halophilicNC
    After watching a video of a guy playing online I think I'm a schmuck for leaving my fight request to "SAME" on Ranked. He's a 4th lord getting paired up against Rookies. :P SAME appears to just place you against people 2 ranks above to 2 ranks below.

I guess on ANY you might get High Lords and shit too though.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hey Kinder, Keits just tweeted that you're coming to UFGT8.

Cool. I live in chicago and was planning on going myself.

Hope I see you there.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    After watching a video of a guy playing online I think I'm a schmuck for leaving my fight request to "SAME" on Ranked. He's a 4th lord getting paired up against Rookies. :P SAME appears to just place you against people 2 ranks above to 2 ranks below.

I guess on ANY you might get High Lords and shit too though.

It's actually +/- four levels. If you primarily do player/H&H, being 9th will give you the largest possible pool of opponents (Beginner to 5th).
    Ah, gotcha. That's kind of a neat incentive, but I don't even want to go near that trash. Just hearing about some of the card setups make me cringe.

You don't actually need to play that much. The minimum number of points required to get the full unlock (5 silver costumes plus an S card upon your side winning the week) is not concretely known, except that it's somewhere between 200-300. At 8-12 points per match, that doesn't take too long. Plus, there's an "exploit" where, as long as you don't actually play a match, the system will use your last recorded score in the current week's campaign for the purposes of rewards. This means that once you get 300 points, you can stop playing. Then, during each week, you just have to start the mode and pick a side. If that side wins, you'll get rewards as if you'd participated for 300 points.

If you're a half decent player to begin with, you should be able to win without too much trouble even if your cards are sub-par. I recommend doing the single-player H&H until you pick up a few good cards, though. Just having a Sabertooth primary card is enough to beat most players.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    After watching a video of a guy playing online I think I'm a schmuck for leaving my fight request to "SAME" on Ranked. He's a 4th lord getting paired up against Rookies. :P
    Speaking of that I've noticed that whenever I join a beginning lobby there's always one person who's like a 2nd Lord or something sitting at the top of the lobby destroying people.

It ca get annoying real fast.

Snake Gandhi on

I can't remember coming across a Firebrand that was really, really good and dangerous, but I do know that he really keeps me on edge whenever I fight him. All that kicking and diving and those fireballs... AGH. Then I do something to try to attack and find myself sliding across the screen on my back.

It's always a big, big relief when I land the one Haggar pipe I need to take Firebrand out of the fight. Guy gives me the jitters.

I love Firebrand to death, but sometimes his low health/low damage output makes him seem like a liability. A lot of people just don't have any respect his bon voyage though, which can generate some good hate mail. Last night I was doing a 10-12 game player match set with a guy and was about to perfect him with Firebrand on point. He disconnected on me, which is a first for a player match.

But yeah, the better players seem to be especially cautious against him...it's just that one combo can take him out :(

I don't know if I'm that good, but I'm more than willing to throw down with you. I really, really hate Haggar to boot :P

edited April 2012
    ANY is +/- 4? I'm not sure how that 4th lord got paired against a Rookie then. It clearly was a ranked match as well.

oh and lol @ a disco from a player match. The salt is strong with that one.

Luncheon Loaf on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ANY is +/- 4? I'm not sure how that 4th lord got paired against a Rookie then. It clearly was a ranked match as well.

oh and lol @ a disco from a player match. The salt is strong with that one.

No, Same is +/-4. Any is any rank, BUT your selection is limited only to other players who also choose Any (i.e. you're locked out from facing anyone doing Same matches even if you're in their rank range). Region settings work the same way.

edit: I had a guy ragequit 120 H&H points away from himself the other day. You don't get penalized for Player/Ranked DCs, but if you ragequit out of H&H via the xbox button, the game will strip you of 20 points in addition to ending your streak and any victory/hero bonus you may have.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Thanks for the info. I don't remember getting any 1st lords as a 5th lord but I'll be on the look out. I think a ton of people are plateau'd at 3rd lord because that's all I seem to get. lol

So ranking is only effected by playing Ranked, right? Cause I've run in to a lot of people titled Beginner that clearly aren't.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can have someone who has never played ranked who is a Beginner but could have thousands of player matches under the belt. I myself never cared for ranked in MvC3, I just left myself at like 8th Lord or some such.

edited April 2012
    You won't see too many folks higher than 3rd. It takes a ton of matches to rank up at that point, and there just aren't enough players around to do that in a reasonable amount of time. A lot of people will reset their record back to Beginner just to find others to play with.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Reset how? Clearing your save data?

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Are there enough PS3 players here to beat up on me?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    Reset how? Clearing your save data?

There's a thing under the options menu called "Reset Battle Records" or something. It'll clear your ranks/points in everything, but you will retain just about everything else (I think your titles get reset). You'll keep any H&H cards you have, and your "offline" battle records will remain (this means if you're in a lobby, people will know how many games you've played).

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    You won't see too many folks higher than 3rd. It takes a ton of matches to rank up at that point, and there just aren't enough players around to do that in a reasonable amount of time. A lot of people will reset their record back to Beginner just to find others to play with.

Games start to get pretty counter-productive around there, too. For every one guy you'll fight who will use an interesting team that's at least partially unique, you'll get a couple dozen fights against folks that are just spamming the worst of the abusable stuff in the game.

I'm thinking about resetting just so I can play unranked and not scare people off with whatever rank my name has by it; can't see much point in going past 3rd seeing as the only thing that's really improving is the frequency of overpowered setups.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    @Snake Gandhi GGS tonight

Obviously I'm shaking the rust off, but I had a lot more fun when I was losing every 5 minutes instead of every 10.

I think your team will really take off if you get that armored assist in more often and convert a few more hits into full combos.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Thanks for the games Templewulf. And for showing me around Hulk some.

Definitely need to change up my team though . X-23 isn't working out right now, thinking about about trying out Ryu at point for a while.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So do people play this game on PS3 or not? Because if not, I'll just get GoT books.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    The coolest thing happened earlier. I won my first online game. :)

To be completely fair I left that lobby 1-5 against that person, but it was nice being the guy who stayed for once.

You gonna be on any more tonight? I'm about to hop on for a few matches before bed

Not for a while, sorry. But I'll be online most of tomorrow if you're free.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Not for a while, sorry. But I'll be online most of tomorrow if you're free.
    don't worry, he is

just kidding i had to!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    I'm planning on being on at 10:00 PST (hour and a half). Anyone up for some games then?

I'm trying to learn some Iron Fist. It's hard to get in, but doing those rekka combos is fun as shit.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Hey TempleWulf, just saw your message!

I am the worst at XBox Live ever!

I'd love to actually schedule a night with lobbies and spectating if we could get a group going again. Maybe then I'd actually see messages and play with you fine folks...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited April 2012
    That sounds cool. I've noticed that lobbies are a lot more fun when you've got folks to bullshit around with.

Snake Gandhi on
    mxmarks wrote: »

I'd love to actually schedule a night with lobbies and spectating if we could get a group going again. Maybe then I'd actually see messages and play with you fine folks...

I'm free Friday and maybe Sunday. Let's do this
    That sounds cool. I've noticed that lobbies are a lot more fun when you've got folks to bullshit around with.
    Mute strangers are dull as hell.

I'm not mute, I just have a custom fightstick with no headset, kinect mic blows while you're playing a game, and I'm too lazy to dig up my wireless headset (which also blows).

So to add on to the Iron Fist discussion from the last page about him being good or bad, after messing around with him a lot yesterday I have to say that his rising fang assist is pretty damn good. That can do a lot to alleviate him not being as great on point.

He's fun as hell though.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Must... resist. Can't... hold on...
    You're free everyday.
    I'm sorry.

I can play for a while Friday night, at least until I have to go to work.

Also got a surprise this morning. I ordered a JLF and an 8-way gate a while ago as an upgrade for my little Brawlstick and they arrived today. Swapping them out took maybe 10 minutes and despite having the joystick connector upside down at first it was far easier than I expected it to be. Can't wait till tonight so I can try it out.

edited April 2012
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »

Must... resist. Can't... hold on...
    You're free everyday.
    I'm sorry.

Ask @inlemur about how free my Spider-Man is. You'll get the victory, but you'll lose your damn mind in the process.

I'm so proud! :D

templewulf on
  • IttiamIttiam Registered User regular
    Hey all, I've been playing UMvC and I love it. But I'm having trouble. I tend to play Cap/Doom/Ryu, my brother started playing Deadpool/Ghostrider/Akuma and he is absolutely destroying me. We used to be about 50/50, but now he wins like 80% of the time. I just can't seem to handle his keep-away game with Deadpool and Ghostrider. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with that?

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Ittiam wrote: »
    Hey all, I've been playing UMvC and I love it. But I'm having trouble. I tend to play Cap/Doom/Ryu, my brother started playing Deadpool/Ghostrider/Akuma and he is absolutely destroying me. We used to be about 50/50, but now he wins like 80% of the time. I just can't seem to handle his keep-away game with Deadpool and Ghostrider. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with that?

What are your assists? Doom has the best beam in the game so maybe call doom beam assist a lot. Not sure what cap can do against non-projectile keep away.

Taskmaster can usually handle non-morrigan keep away and is pretty straightforward. Maybe try him?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • IttiamIttiam Registered User regular
    What are your assists? Doom has the best beam in the game so maybe call doom beam assist a lot. Not sure what cap can do against non-projectile keep away.

Taskmaster can usually handle non-morrigan keep away and is pretty straightforward. Maybe try him?

I've been using hidden missles as Doom's assist. I'll try the beam assist, thanks!

Ittiam wrote: »

Cap's best tactic against Ghost Rider is L and M shield slashes combined with double jumps. Doing regular jumps will put you over the bottom end of Rider's chain and shield slashes can keep popping him for damage. You might get lucky and have the shield slash pull Rider into combo range, but mostly you just whittle Rider down because his air chain spam will have him eating shield repeatedly. Those jumps should keep you above the assist spam, too.

And if Rider keeps doing that pillar of fire attack when you get close, remember that Cap's charging start and hyper charging both ignore projectiles so you can punish Rider right through the fire.

You might want to revise your character order, too; Cap can do awesome damage against assists, especially projectile assists, but it really helps him to have some meter to work with. He can also frequently pull off huge turnarounds by using charging star into projectiles, canceling to hyper charging star to catch the point and assist characters, then use XF2 to cancel into another low shield slash to OTG the opponents into another hyper charging star. Not to mention that Doom at XF3 is stupidly overpowered thanks to his speed and power boosts.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I know this isn't the right thread, but I will ask. Is there a thread for that new PS3 Smash Bros game? Just saw the official reveal on Gametrailers and I am pretty excited to have a Smash game (although PS3 characters) with good online play.

Back to your MvC3 discussion!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85