As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek Online] Hop on my deck. Now Free to Play!

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Or just raid the Fleet Bank (if you're in the PA fleet), from time to time I go to put Mk X stuff in there but it's full, damnit.

Edit:

Also, seriously, game is prettier than I knew.

NSF56K!
    Look at this ugly mofo over here!

Now look at his sweet ride.

awwww yeaaaahhhh

8-)

Fyndir on
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Got my Breen set and I really like the icey sparkles on any ship I put it on. I think I'll enjoy collecting the various sets, here's hoping they'll release more with neat visual effects.

Holding onto my Dil. and even considering changing my remaining C-points into dil once it reach a high enough price, then once the market settles down at a lower price than I bought it for (275) I'll cash in big time.

Good/bad idea?

steam_sig.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've been pondering that, but part of me worries that it is not going to go back down as it seems to have been climbing steadily since ~225. Not as fast as the last week, but still, going upwards. That plus I can't really think of anything to drop it down again...

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Considering the latest lockbox hasn't been around for very long, I doubt dil prices will be dropping any time within the next month at best.

ECOED.jpg
    Then I'll probably just hold onto my C-points.

steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Or just raid the Fleet Bank (if you're in the PA fleet), from time to time I go to put Mk X stuff in there but it's full, damnit.

Edit:

Also, seriously, game is prettier than I knew.

NSF56K!
    Look at this ugly mofo over here!

Now look at his sweet ride.

awwww yeaaaahhhh

8-)

Yeah, I think I grabbed a console the other night.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    anyone elses account given a forced password reset because of the security breach?

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    Wren wrote: »
    anyone elses account given a forced password reset because of the security breach?

Just got an email about it, was about to come ask the same thing.

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Same here. The announcement they put out about the matter isn't particularly heartening, either.

Dizzen on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ditto.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dizzen wrote: »

Same here. The announcement they put out about the matter isn't particularly heartening, either.

What's funny is that this is another mark in the "don't trust Cryptic" book.

There were people from Cryptic in the topic prior to this happening asking why so many accounts were being hijacked, loudly declaring that there was no security leak, everything was fine, and basically shouting down anyone who said otherwise while pointing his finger at the Curse gaming network. This was with people pointing out that they had never even visited that network of sites. To which he replied that clearly it was just a massive advertisement issue that crossed multiple sites where the ads had malicious code embedded in the ads.

At this point I have basically zero trust in Cryptic. No point doing business with a company that will lie through its teeth to cover their own ass. This is the second time this has happened in a month. Possibly the third, even.

Edit: Keep in mind, the original hack/breach was in 2010. It was only when STOked, the biggest Star Trek Online fanboys ever, actually grew a pair and mentioned that one of their members accounts had been hacked in a broadcast, that Cryptic perked up and actually did something about this.

This was after there was a huge megathread on the forums consisting of people demanding to know why the hell their accounts were being hacked en-mass, and why Cryptic was refusing to give reimbursements to fleet banks that were being cleared out in very large quantities. The party line at the time was that it was something users had done by visiting a suspicious site. Fast forward to the STOked video and now you get this announcement. There's even someone from STOked in the topic calling them out on this.

STOked are basically complete fan-boys, as that video with Gozer should evidence. They tend to not call Cryptic on their bullshit. They also have, in the past, ragged on the podcasts that do spend time highlighting some of Cryptic's nastier actions (These podcasts also don't get interviews with devs, like RSA.). So when they start leaving Cryptic "what the hell are you doing?" messages on the forums, you know things have really gotten bad.

Archonex on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    On a lighter note, there looks to be a DO-event kicking off on the 27th.

So that's why my throwaway e-mail was sending out spams?
    Cryptic is really starting to grate on me (Yeah, yeah, "starting").

steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had to reset my password to get in. I was wondering what was up.

edited April 2012
    So that's why my throwaway e-mail was sending out spams?
    Cryptic is really starting to grate on me (Yeah, yeah, "starting").

At this point i'd say they really do deserve the hate their community gives them. It's one thing to have a vitriolic community. It's another when you constantly justify that vitriol by making dickish decisions.

Like changing the terms of a paid lockbox half-way through its sale then trumpeting about how you reserve the right to do this (Looking at you, Stahl.) in practically every post (I'm assuming this is someone telling him to do this in the hopes of avoiding being fined/a lawsuit being thrown their way), all while ignoring the other rep saying the currency drop is broken. Also, deliberately ignoring the many people asking if the currency bug is fixed yet. Which I assume is because they don't want to lose even more sales from the event.

Or what appears to be the internal division between the head of the company and instance designer. Which has lead to the instance designer arbitrarily making the instances harder/tedious after the CEO said they were too hard/tedious. Apparently when your boss tells you that something is shitty and it should be fixed ASAP, the proper course of action is to implement a stealth change that is the equivalent of flipping him (and the playerbase by extension) the bird.

Or the constant claims of everything being fine while the proverbial building burns down behind them. Then going "Whoops! Guess that shit was on fire, eh?" after said proverbial building has collapsed. Then, when people ask you to do your job on the "make this horrible action you perpetrated right" front, refusing to help the people who were trapped within the previously aforementioned proverbial building.

Which is something they've done repeatedly. Which is also about as indicative as a metaphor I can give for the many, many, many, things they've refused to fix for the paying portion of their customer base lately, after Cryptic screwed something up. Like hacked accounts that were their fault leading to fleet bank losses, a lack of gold box reimbursements for those who bought them under false advertisement and pretenses, a lack of improper lobi crystal reimbursements being honored after the reps confirmed they were busted (Which Stahl is still apparently pretending is "working as intended" despite evidence to the contrary, much like the security breach situation.), etc, etc.

Or the fact that Gozer, the guy who's taking over PVP and was heading up PVE content at the end game, apparently has no fucking clue how the game actually plays. He's firmly in the "this game should have an end game like EQ" camp, without seeming to realize that the base infrastructure of the game as it stands does not in any way, shape, or form, support such an action. Nor would pulling a "NGE" on the end game be particularly intelligent given the type of content that has existed to date. The last time they put ultra-difficult instances in, no one did them and most people quit the game when they hit the end game.

Or that they admitted that a developer (Salami) generated energy credits to buy up spare gold boxes on the exchange. An incident that Stahl was apparently totally cool with, because Salami wasn't buying them at really exorbitant prices. Keep in mind that gold boxes ran from 100K at the very least, to a million or more. And there's plenty of people who made lots of money off of that.

In fact, when the SomethingAwful forums noticed that someone was buying gold boxes for insane prices, they started listing them so they could purchase the rare drops from the boxes themselves off of the exchange with the energy credits they made from selling lockboxes, thereby bypassing the entire gambling system Cryptic set up, and padding their pockets with the extra change.

So, so, so much more crap. There's far too many things to list them all here.

Every time I think they've hit a new low, they somehow manage to do something more repulsive, more dickish, more unethical, or more sleazy then before. It's like the STO devs are in competition with themselves to see how many people they can drive away from the game the fastest. At this point i'm pretty much only playing to watch the train wreck. And I wouldn't even be doing that, if it wasn't free.

Archonex on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Cryptic. I never thought I'd say it, but I think I preferred the old days when Jack was directly running the show and all we had to worry about were unnecessary nerfs.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    kinda late to be telling us to change our passwords when this all happened two years ago

how did the hackers even manage to decrypt any of the information anyways

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2012
    Just a heads up, but it's possible credit card information was compromised as well. Cryptic is taking a "we can't say for sure" standpoint on it currently. Their official stance is "no", but their unofficial stance seems to be "we don't know".

So yeah, given Cryptic's habit lately of lying through their teeth until it's inconvenient to keep lying, i'd say to keep an eye on your cards over the next few months.

Edit: Cryptic is also maintaining that the ad trojan at STOWiki and this are two separate events. Except that kind of goes against the grain of what dozens of people on the forum were reporting. It's more likely that either Cryptic is either not wanting to say "Yeah, we knew something was up but didn't want to come forward and say anything until this blew up in our faces", or they're just insanely incompetent. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but so much crap has been drug out into the light this past month that I really can't say I believe them at this point.

Archonex on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I suddenly find that my lifetime subs to CO/STO have gained additional value! The card I used to purchase those is long expired.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Indeed!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Did not even get an email. When I tried to log in my password did not work. I had to go to the website and do a reset password email request before I was able to log in.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did not even get an email. When I tried to log in my password did not work. I had to go to the website and do a reset password email request before I was able to log in.
    Check your email spam filter because the email was sent by cryptic, however the reply email goes to perfect world. Not something email client likes, email got this nice phishing attempt sign. :P

Resetted both accounts, CO & STO....

Great you can use only one password for both games. :P

tricon on

My email arrived quite a while after I'd noticed the password issue.

edited April 2012
    So apparently Cryptic locked my account out because of this, and I did not receive the email that lets me regain access to the game/s I have lifetime subs too.

Resetting my password manually just has them say that it's an invalid username when I try to log in with the new username. I also can't send in a ticket to get this fixed, since I need to be signed in to do that. So until they fix this I am officially out about $500+ all told. And that's not counting prior C-Store purchases.

Have I mentioned that Cryptic is really pissing me off lately?

Archonex on
  • TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    So apparently Cryptic locked my account out because of this, and I did not receive the email that lets me regain access to the game/s I have lifetime subs too.

Resetting my password manually just has them say that it's an invalid username when I try to log in with the new username. I also can't send in a ticket to get this fixed, since I need to be signed in to do that. So until they fix this I am officially out about $500+ all told. And that's not counting prior C-Store purchases.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be something really simple. In the launcher you can select either a Perfect World or Cryptic account, naturally I have a Cryptic account but for some reason the Perfect World option was selected instead and I was getting "invalid username" messages after I reset my password. Once I finally noticed and set it back to Cryptic it worked fine.

TalonSE wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

I had the same problem and it turned out to be something really simple. In the launcher you can select either a Perfect World or Cryptic account, naturally I have a Cryptic account but for some reason the Perfect World option was selected instead and I was getting "invalid username" messages after I reset my password. Once I finally noticed and set it back to Cryptic it worked fine.

Checked that. I finally figured out the problem. For whatever reason, their account server was not accepting my new password change. After I changed it for the tenth time it finally took.

Also, the invalid username or password thing is a generic "something is wrong with your login" message you get if something goes wrong.

edited April 2012
    Some people on the forums are saying that today's patch made the gold boxes unbound again. GG, Cryptic, GG.

Also, Archonex, you shouldn't be getting a new username, just a PW.

edit: and yeah what Talon said

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited April 2012
    Just checked. Gold boxes do appear to be unbound again.

Edit: I currently have about 20 golds, and 1000 normal boxes. Pretty sure i'm set up for the future in terms of getting lobi. Probably the D'Kora, too.

As a friendly update, I should also note that apparently to compensate for the low lobi drops Cryptic is adding in a few very low price items to the lobi shop. One of these items was apparently their "prize" item for the lobi shop to be added in after this event was over. In addition to that, you can earn lobi through May without paying money. Apparently they're doing some sort of event.

The backlash from the GPL topic also lead to them saying they're going to add some of the items in for GPL, too. Which gives it a use now. Previously, many of the items suggested to be added in for GPL were added in for lobi. Which pissed more then a few people off.

The contrast to that is that a (soon to be banned) person on the forums posted his ticket with CS. After making him wait for two weeks, they said that only getting 4 lobi from multiple golds was not a small enough drop to justify reimbursing him with a higher drop. Which is bullshit if you do the math behind the post.

Now if only the market would stabilize. I'd open some of these boxes, but i'll be damned if i'm going to pay 330 dilithium per point when it looks like the market is being tampered with.

Edit: Looks like they unbound the boxes, but now drones in the tutorial have a different spawn rate to keep you from farming them. Tested it a few times, either it was bad luck or they have a slightly longer spawn time.

Archonex on
    Man, I am so glad I am not logging into this game.

I, uh

I changed my password, but had to do it via Perfect World, and my password for logging into the STO launcher didn't change.

I am just confused at how this system is meant to work, and I meant to change a different password? If so, how?

I just went to the sto account page and hit 'forgot my password' it sent me an email and everything worked smooth from there. Not really sure what other methods there are :/

ECOED.jpg
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And now the exchange is down to 301 per c-point, dropping ~30 points since the password reset. Was the market manipulation the only reason they realized they were hacked?

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon. It went up to 308 while I was typing that. Make that 309. Ok, it's still happening, but only with 3k or so points instead of 30k.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited April 2012
    Voro wrote: »
    And now the exchange is down to 301 per c-point, dropping ~30 points since the password reset. Was the market manipulation the only reason they realized they were hacked?

That'd make sense. Assuming you put enough c-points out there, or dilithium out there, you could transfer at least some of it to accounts you have direct control over if you fucked with the min/max set up of the market enough. Just would need to scale the sale/purchase up past the people trying to capitalize on the boom where the 20K or so worth of points were selling at. Which there was usually at least 500 or so points on sale like that. If a large number of accounts were having this done to them, then that would also explain why the hell the market was jumping up by huge amounts over very short, brief periods of time.

Basically, a doable format would work like a sort of money laundering scheme in real life, I imagine. Only damn near impossible to track and fix, since a portion of every sale and purchase would go into legit buyers and sellers hands.

Also partially explains the inflation (Even now, since I imagine there's some "loose points/dil" out there still.) too. Since if Cryptic was restoring lost C-Points/Dil prior to restoring access to the real user of the account (Like it sounds like they were.), then that means people were re-entering the market with the same amount the hackers were using to launder the points or dilithium.

Given recent events, that does seem a plausible explanation. If that's what's going on, though, I wouldn't expect it to settle for a long time, if at all, unless Cryptic steps in behind the scenes or whoever is doing this stops/tries to reverse the damage. If double the amount of points and dilithium was going into the economy, then that means there's some serious inflation going on. The scale of that inflation would obviously depend on the number of hackers who tried to play market manipulator. If it was sizable, and that's actually what happened, I wouldn't be surprised if the new minimum standard for dil per point hovered around 300 now.

Bet there's going to be a lot of people pissed if that's the case, though. It's like the lockbox fuck-up, only now someone's dicked the playerbase out of actual money before they could even get a product. Nevermind dicking future players out of participating fairly in the exchange. I fully expect Cryptic to deny that this is happening if that's what's going on, however. Seems like that's all they've been doing this past few weeks, followed by them occasionally getting caught with their pants down and going "Whoops, guess we were "wrong", eh?".

Archonex on
    best fuckup of the day, I somehow managed to start an Infected STF instead of Cure, one of the guys crashed when we loaded in, so the four of us did it and completed the optional too.

A guy won 4 Prototype Borg Salvage from that optional.

I didn't even know that was an option!

• hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So new gold boxes are unbound again, after the patch. Considering the price of the d'kora, I'm confused why people would pay 10 mil for a box.

Oh, but boxes no longer drop from the tutorial borg, apparently.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    News about the DO-event this weekend is up.
    STO.com wrote:
    To those junior officers who work tirelessly in cramped Jefferies Tubes, perish namelessly on away missions, or provide the endless streams of reports and analysis necessary for a starship to function – this weekend is dedicated to you!

For this special weekend event, running from around 10am PDT Friday, April 27, through around 10am PDT Monday, April 30, the following will be available:

-Speak with your duty officer contact in the academies (Lieutenant Ferra for Starfleet officers, and Lieutenant S’stas for KDF officers) to receive up to a 50% bonus to all duty officer assignment Commendation Experience Points (CXP) for the weekend. You need only speak to him once to have the bonus for the remainder of the event. The bonus varies slightly depending on the duration of the assignment.

-Receive a FREE special Purple quality duty officer with a unique active roster power by speaking with your duty officer contact. For Starfleet officers, this is a new engineering Exocomp duty officer; for KDF officers, it is a Reman duty officer. This is not available if you already claimed it the last time we ran the event.

-Duty officer packs opened during the event will each have a FREE additional Green quality or better duty officer inside. This only applies to C-Store purchased packs, not to those awarded during rank-up, from recruitment assignments or Lock Boxes. Also, it applies only to packs opened during the event, even if they are purchased prior to the event. The packs included in this offer are: Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre, Klingon Empire Duty Officer Pack and Federation Duty Officer Pack.

Owenashi on
    edited April 2012
    Boooo, way to penalize people who open their packs the moment they get it.
    Otherwise it's pretty swell, maybe I'll get that Diplo tier 3 now.
    hazywater wrote: »
    So new gold boxes are unbound again, after the patch. Considering the price of the d'kora, I'm confused why people would pay 10 mil for a box.

Oh, but boxes no longer drop from the tutorial borg, apparently.
    What is the price of the d'kora?

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
    slightly under 100 mil today

ECOED.jpg
    Welp, that's well out of my reach.
    But I guess I have reason to get an wallet upgrade at some point now.

steam_sig.png
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ArcmMdWCMAAqDUH.jpg:large

new Romulan or reman? (could just be wearing reman shields) ship coming

Confirmed by a dev not to be Cruiser, looks like a highly modded D'deridex ship.

probably the next lockbox ship in june.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.