As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    I went through all the registration steps and the site died when I clicked "confirm payment." I've confirmed with my credit card that there is a charge pending (of the appropriate amount), but I have not yet received a confirmation email and it's been over an hour and a half. Should I buy another set of 3-Day/BYOC tickets just in case? I've sent an email to pax_questions but I'm sure they're swamped too. :)

If you do not get an email within 24 hours shoot an email over to pax_questions@paxsite.com, we'll get it taken care of.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    heels wrote: »
    alegria wrote: »
    I went through all the registration steps and the site died when I clicked "confirm payment." I've confirmed with my credit card that there is a charge pending (of the appropriate amount), but I have not yet received a confirmation email and it's been over an hour and a half. Should I buy another set of 3-Day/BYOC tickets just in case? I've sent an email to pax_questions but I'm sure they're swamped too. :)

If you do not get an email within 24 hours shoot an email over to pax_questions@paxsite.com, we'll get it taken care of.

I was too paranoid and already bought a second set that I *do* have a confirmation for, so I will be set. If the first charge ever comes out of limbo and goes through, I'll find a friend to take that set of tickets. :) I did already email pax_questions, though.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    OSBOSB Registered User new member
    Also I got charged for the FedEx shipping even tho I did not click on the option (didn't notice till I confirmed) I don't mind paying to get the passes delivered that way but it won't affect my purchase since I'm within the USA will it? Cause it says the FedEx option is for out of country buyers I was just wondering.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I know we get PAX tees every year and there are special products only available at PAX (ie Razer stuff/Astro 'phones), is there any chance there might be PAX12 hoodies/zip hoodies? Or are hoodies an option that has been considered before and decided against?

And thanks to all the Enforcers, Forumers and Staff that make PAX such an amazing experience for the tens of thousands of attendees! This will be my 5th year at Prime and it's pretty much the best weekend of the year, and I know a lot of work has to go into something this amazing/huge!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    I know we get PAX tees every year and there are special products only available at PAX (ie Razer stuff/Astro 'phones), is there any chance there might be PAX12 hoodies/zip hoodies? Or are hoodies an option that has been considered before and decided against?
    The Merch would know the answer: merch@penny-arcade.com

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I would totally buy a PAX hoodie.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

That's what I'm sayin'!

@jaberwockynmt are you saying I should email merch to see if it's been thought of before/might be there this year, or to just suggest it to them either way? :)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That's what I'm sayin'!

@jaberwockynmt are you saying I should email merch to see if it's been thought of before/might be there this year, or to just suggest it to them either way? :)

I would say... Yes

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    BigRed wrote: »

That's what I'm sayin'!

I would say... Yes

Yes? Or....OH YEAH!?

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Yes, both. I'm sure they've considered a hoodie in the past, but I have no idea what the reasons have been for them not making and offering one. By suggesting it to them, it might increase the likelihood that it will exist at some future PAX (maybe even Prime 2012).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    ArtyPartyArtyParty Registered User new member
    I have a question!

I just bought my 3-day tickets for this year's PAX. Here is a link to the picture of the Confirmation Email I got.

However, I clicked "FedEx" shipping even though I live in the U.S.A.; I thought we were supposed to select that. Now the "country" is missing from my Confirmation Email. Should I be concerned? The "Fee"s and "Type of Payment" is also missing.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    I have a question!

I just bought my 3-day tickets for this year's PAX. Here is a link to the picture of the Confirmation Email I got.

However, I clicked "FedEx" shipping even though I live in the U.S.A.; I thought we were supposed to select that. Now the "country" is missing from my Confirmation Email. Should I be concerned? The "Fee"s and "Type of Payment" is also missing.

email pax_questions@paxsite.com

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a question!

email pax_questions@paxsite.com for an exact resolution. It said on the website that the FedEx option was for international (outside of the USA) residents. I'm not sure how that actually affects reg if you paid for it that way.

I also don't have the type of payment in my reg email either. Considering what's on http://paxsite.com right now, I'd sit tight and wait for a new registration email, after you email pax_questions of course.

• Options
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    Q: REGISTRATION IS FUCKED? WHAT'S UP?

A:
    paxsite wrote:
    Here's where we're at:
    #1. We tried a new registration vendor this year. It....didn't work out. We are going back to our previous vendor and registration should be set up next week.

#2. For those of you who have successfully registered, we'll shoot you an email next week to confirm your registration.

#3. We're really sorry about this =(.

• Options
    AlinktothepastAlinktothepast Registered User new member
    What e-mail address is the confirmation e-mail coming from?

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So those of us that did get through should get an email next week-ish confirming our purchase has been transferred to the new vendor... Can we expect this transition to go off without another charge to the credit cards? (I live on the edge of an economic knife; I had money set aside for this registration, but a second charge would be unfortunate.)

Edit: Nevermind; the pending charge from the first vendor has been cancelled. If I understand Registration stipulation #2 right, then the transfer of our original registration to the new vendor will be automatic and the payment to the will be taken out at the same time. :)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    lolmontlolmont Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I as I'm sure other people got a 3- day badge now I know it the front page says going to a new vendor. But what I wanna know is our we gonna be refunded and have to buy it again or will all the sales just transfer to the new vendor?

lolmont on
  • Options
    lolmont wrote: »
    I as I'm sure other people got a 3- day badge now I know it the front page says going to a new vendor. But what I wanna know is our we gonna be refunded and have to buy it again or will all the sales just transfer to the new vendor?

Well, the PAX Prime website said:

"#2. For those of you who have successfully registered, we'll shoot you an email next week to confirm your registration."

So if you've already purchased the tickets you should be good :)

• Options
    VathrelVathrel Registered User new member
    Okay, so I fucked up on my order. I ordered 5 instead of 6, am I hosed? or is there an way to change this?

• Options
    lolmontlolmont Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    lolmont wrote: »

Well, the PAX Prime website said:

"#2. For those of you who have successfully registered, we'll shoot you an email next week to confirm your registration."

So if you've already purchased the tickets you should be good :)

Alright awesome, one less thing to worry about.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Vathrel wrote: »
    Okay, so I fucked up on my order. I ordered 5 instead of 6, am I hosed? or is there an way to change this?

You can order another one when reg goes back up next week.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    Does anyone have an idea how much a plane ticket from the east coast to Seattle should cost? I'm wondering how much I should budget for plane and hotel.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea how much a plane ticket from the east coast to Seattle should cost? I'm wondering how much I should budget for plane and hotel.

Anywhere from 300$-600$ depending on where you're coming from and when you buy. Right now from Boston I see quite a few with in the 300$ range.

I use bing/travel for that, as they bought a company that predicts flights raising or lowering in price with a confidence level.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »

my round trip from Rochester NY last year was ~$450 including taxes, etc

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    How fast do the 3-day passes usually sell out? Missed the messed up attempt today while at work, and just want to make sure I get a pass next week

• Options
    sanovah wrote: »
    How fast do the 3-day passes usually sell out? Missed the messed up attempt today while at work, and just want to make sure I get a pass next week

Last year they sold out within 22 days. It will sell out faster this year, almost assuredly.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Last year they sold out within 22 days. It will sell out faster this year, almost assuredly.

If by some chance they sell out day one before I can get home from work/home for lunch how fast do the 1 day passes sell out? remembering to bring 3 passes may be a pain I really want to go for all 3 days

• Options

If by some chance they sell out day one before I can get home from work/home for lunch how fast do the 1 day passes sell out? remembering to bring 3 passes may be a pain I really want to go for all 3 days

Not nearly as fast as 3-days ;) Sadly being that vague is all we can do.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

FWIW, the way the pricing structure is built, I suspect 3-day passes will always sell out with significant lagging time (relatively speaking) between that and 1 day passes selling out. Simply because you save money on the 3 day pass before Day 2 (i.e. one 3day pass<2 1 day passes.) This of course incentivises people who were only planning on attending 2 days to spring for 3 day passes. There will always be some people who either can't make Friday, or have to leave Sunday (and statistically some of these people will be buying after passes after the 3 day sell out) meaning that the pool changes at this point.
    In short the lower price of the 3 day pass creates an artifically inflated demand relative to what you'd expect if the pricing were more "balanced" (by this I mean the discount took place after day 2.) Granted demand could reach levels where the passes all sold out with statistically insignificant amounts of time between them (i.e. a complete day one sell out) but the trends don't show this happening for some time. (I may have, at one point, built a model for this, it was rough, very rough. Also I couldn't account for the fact that as the average age of the PAX crowd gets older, they will have more discresionary income, allowing for more draw than in previous years. Yes, I tried to account for this. Such a change is expect...you know what I'm going to stop now.)

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »

FWIW, the way the pricing structure is built, I suspect 3-day passes will always sell out with significant lagging time (relatively speaking) between that and 1 day passes selling out. Simply because you save money on the 3 day pass before Day 2 (i.e. one 3day pass<2 1 day passes.) This of course incentivises people who were only planning on attending 2 days to spring for 3 day passes. There will always be some people who either can't make Friday, or have to leave Sunday (and statistically some of these people will be buying after passes after the 3 day sell out) meaning that the pool changes at this point.
    In short the lower price of the 3 day pass creates an artifically inflated demand relative to what you'd expect if the pricing were more "balanced" (by this I mean the discount took place after day 2.) Granted demand could reach levels where the passes all sold out with statistically insignificant amounts of time between them (i.e. a complete day one sell out) but the trends don't show this happening for some time. (I may have, at one point, built a model for this, it was rough, very rough. Also I couldn't account for the fact that as the average age of the PAX crowd gets older, they will have more discresionary income, allowing for more draw than in previous years. Yes, I tried to account for this. Such a change is expect...you know what I'm going to stop now.)

Yeah, I think just knowing that it happens is good enough :) but hey it's a good math problem if you really want to go back and find all the dates based on the number of passes sold (if you can even dig up that information).

• Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    Question. Does anyone think that the 3-day passes would ever sell out within 1 day?
    Question 2. What is the Annex? where located?

• Options
    LowRenzOhLowRenzOh Registered User new member
    So, this is regarding that last rule about buying/selling badges second-hand. I have a friend who WANTS to go but doesn't know if he can. We were worried that if he bought a pass he would be stuck with it in the event he couldn't attend. But, if I'm interpreting this correctly, if he buys the pass and can't go, I can bring it with me to the convention and sell it to someone there because they can get it checked to make sure it's authentic, so that my friend can get his money back. Is this all correct, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think just knowing that it happens is good enough :) but hey it's a good math problem if you really want to go back and find all the dates based on the number of passes sold (if you can even dig up that information).

This was remarkably back of the napkin based on a lot of memory, and it actually came up as part of a discussion of the potential growth curve of PAX (obviously limited by space and the fire code but it was theoretical so we discounted that) and the effect of the "coming of age" of the Gamer Generation on ticket sales. (Yes, I know there are gamers of all ages, but you can pull a stereotypical demographic, especially as related to Penny Arcade, which is decidedly a product of the interwebs, and thus has a draw more centered around the 20-30 crowd.) It also came up because for the first time we have discretionary income for which to attend PAX.
    It really went downhill from there (or should I say "nerd shaped") because we discussed buying incentives for passes and potential (theoretical) ways to "slow" pass consumption to allow for a longer buying time (hence the discussion of the pricing model.)
    Believe it or not, I'm a biologist turned philosopher, not an economist (that's just my hobby). Also unbelievable, this "back of the napkin" math nerd fest, happened between me an my wife (physicist). Our (not-yet-existing-or-planned) childeren are screwed.

• Options
    Question. Does anyone think that the 3-day passes would ever sell out within 1 day?

Would they EVER? yeah, maybe, eventually, considering the infinite future.

The Annex is the building across the street from the WSCC. On the WSCC website, it is referred to as "The Conference Center". It's part of the "WSCC complex" (of two buildings)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    LowRenzOh wrote: »
    So, this is regarding that last rule about buying/selling badges second-hand. I have a friend who WANTS to go but doesn't know if he can. We were worried that if he bought a pass he would be stuck with it in the event he couldn't attend. But, if I'm interpreting this correctly, if he buys the pass and can't go, I can bring it with me to the convention and sell it to someone there because they can get it checked to make sure it's authentic, so that my friend can get his money back. Is this all correct, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

It's correct that what you describe is possible. From a seller's end, you can know if you have a legit badge, and be a total saint about selling it at face or giving it away, or whatever. But considering the MASSIVE counterfeiting problem at Prime last year, PAX can no longer officially condone any method of re-selling badges because the buyer has little to no protection short of getting someone to validate it in person at the con before paying for it.

Edit: To be clear, you CAN have the badge checked on-site, so that's very possible. That's the only way though.

zerzhul on
  • Options

Would they EVER? yeah, maybe, eventually, considering the infinite future.

The Annex is the building across the street from the WSCC. On the WSCC website, it is referred to as "The Conference Center". It's part of the "WSCC complex" (of two buildings)

OOOOH ok .thankyou. i was getting confused when i looked the annex up and got the annex theatre which isnt close the the WSCC at all

• Options
    Nother quick question.. Will there be a tweet out the day the badges come back up for sale?

• Options
    Nother quick question.. Will there be a tweet out the day the badges come back up for sale?

yes

• Options

yes

YAYAYAY

This discussion has been closed.