As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    iNUsT.png

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Wait, what reaction to Cadence? Are some idiots being idiots somewhere about her?

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There are undoubtedly entitled fans who take exception to her being an alicorn. Such is life, you can't do anything without somebody getting their knickers in a twist.

steam_sig.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well having her as an Alicorn does kind of make Celestia and Luna less unique.

And her being an Alicorn wasn't really important to the plot at all.

Also, Faust didn't want any other Alicorns in the series.

However, having another one isn't going to ruin everything. So... weh.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    And Chrysalis's regular form is kind of alicorn-ish. Does that make them even less unique?

Bremen wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Since we are in the pony drought perhaps someone could link to a good story?

I rank Fallout: Equestria amongst the top ten stories I've ever read. Whether that says more about the quality of the fic or the number of stories I've read in my life, I don't know. It's very long (longer the than lord of the rings), but it's worth the effort, in my opinion.

Simply Rarity is a nice, sad shortish story.

Calling the shots is good for a laugh and is pretty short.

I - er - I read quite a bit of fan fiction last summer. I can recommend a few others but I know most people frown upon it *shrugs*

There is absolutely no way Fallout Equestria should work, but it does. And it has far more quality in writing and storytelling than fanfiction has any right to have. So yeah, if you don't mind the length it's a good read.
    Joolander wrote: »
    and now for some Season 3 Bingo

6b3.png

I'd put money on top left to bottom right, myself.
    We know John De Lancie is voicing another episode, which given how distinctive his voice is probably means Discord will have some role. I'm guessing it involves a flashback to how Celestia and Luna first dealt with him, which likely gets the Alicorns origin explained; I also suspect the writing staff might be a bit touchy about the fan reaction to Cadence and want to throw some salve on that issue.

Which just leaves secondary and background pony episodes, and well, I think after so much material on the Mane Six the writers might start looking elsewhere.

Shouldn't the bottom left be "New Mane Villain" ?? :P

SabreMau wrote: »
    Cadancing Time.

jMJse.gif

Love this so much.

• OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    I honestly am not all that bothered by Cadence being an alicorn, at first it was strange, but I mostly shrugged it off since it meant Celestia could stop having pink toys.

Once I saw the finale and put a personality to her, I genuinely liked her as a character and I want to see more of her and Shining Armor in the future. Hell I'm even brewing plans to take this Cupcake pony I ended up with and make her into adolescent Cadence, since she has the right hair and about the right size.

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind more of them if I didn't dislike Shining Armor's voice so much.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There was an Alicorn in Twilight's magic kindergarten daydream.

steam_sig.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't mind more of them if I didn't dislike Shining Armor's voice so much.

Yeah, they really should've gotten Ron Perlman to do his voice.

Or Keith David.

Or H. Jon Benjamin (c'mon c'mon c'mon Studio B bring him in for a third season character)

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well this is all I could think about whenever Shining Armor spoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTiRC2sUFk

uyvfOQy.png
    hahah

I would like to see more Archer/MLP.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If I was any good at video editing I'd try to make a MLP Discord Music video to Voltaire - When your Evil
    I pretty much have an idea what clips to use where but have no skills to put it together :(

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gonna tempt fate with this one
    172977+-+artist+negativefox+Chrysalis+quotable_dialogue.jpg
    Context, for anyone else who was confused.

Riokenn wrote: »
    Since we are in the pony drought perhaps someone could link to a good story?

I rank Fallout: Equestria amongst the top ten stories I've ever read. Whether that says more about the quality of the fic or the number of stories I've read in my life, I don't know. It's very long (longer the than lord of the rings), but it's worth the effort, in my opinion.

I'll have to give it a look. The few times I've tried reading any of the fanfiction, there were enough clumsy word choices in the first few paragraphs to put me off reading any further. The only one I finished was this one, which could be subtitled: "The Redemption of Prince Blueblood", which isn't bad, but is also overlong and repetitive in spots, and has a few aspects (like the final fight and Luna's actions) that simply make no logical sense.

Saying it's in your top 10 stories does pretty much just make me question how many books you've read, but I'll ignore that.

I might regret this question. But what's up with the self-shipping? Triple self-shipping even.

Clones/time travel/alternate universes, I assume. Meeting yourself through time travel is already canon, so...

SabreMau wrote: »
    Cadancing Time.

Better version (the cuteness, it burns...):

Also, I stumbled across this randomly while looking for that pic... this is the tumblr of the animator who designed Chrysalis. She seems kind of awesome. (NSFW warning, blog is also full of zaftig topless barbarian ladies)

EDIT:
    Okami wrote: »
    Once I saw the finale and put a personality to her, I genuinely liked her as a character and I want to see more of her and Shining Armor in the future.

It's actually pretty clever how the contrast between the fake and real Cadences mostly short-circuited any possible fan resentment of the latter. It's such a relief by the time the real one shows up and she's in such a pitiable condition, it would be hard to hate her. And then the montage at the end of her eating Applejack's fritters/dancing with Pinkie Pie/etc. seals the deal. She's fairly helpless on her own, so you can't really consider her a Mary Sue or an usurper to the status of Celestia/Luna, and all that's really left is people grumbling about there being more than 2 alicorns, which was never stated in the show to begin with.

Wandering Idiot on
    edited April 2012
    If I was any good at video editing I'd try to make a MLP Discord Music video to Voltaire - When your Evil
    I pretty much have an idea what clips to use where but have no skills to put it together :(

There's at least five videos of that on YouTube already.

Goatmon on

The reason it's better quality is because it's ten megabytes.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Huh, so it is. I sometimes forget my Internet is actually pretty awesome here. (I was mostly talking about it being the full dance, though)

It made a pretty great Chekov's gun, even it if it's been done before.

EDIT: I have acquiesced to your demands on behalf of the bandwidth-starved philistines. But next time, let them eat cak^H^H uncompressed TIFFs!

Wandering Idiot on
    Internet connection's fine here too, but the image loads even in spoilers and the forum policy is to cap images at ~500KB in threads due to people browsing over mobile, wi-fi, or metered connections.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Note that Candence grew up in parallel with Shining Armor and Twilight, so if Alicorns end up being immortal or just plain live for a long time then she's extremely young compared to Celestia and Luna

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dance_2.gif

I live on the edge

ThreadbareSock on
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Saying it's in your top 10 stories does pretty much just make me question how many books you've read, but I'll ignore that.

I've got my fantasy nerd cred to live up to so I'll just say I'm a big fan of terry pratchett, robert jordan and brandon sanderson.

RE: Season 3 bingo
    'Bronie' - Seriously?

Opty wrote: »
    Note that Candence grew up in parallel with Shining Armor and Twilight, so if Alicorns end up being immortal or just plain live for a long time then she's extremely young compared to Celestia and Luna

Lauren Faust obviously planed for them to be extremely long lived. Perhaps we're back to 'When a daddy unicorn and a mommy pegasus love each other very much' territory?

Quantum Tiger on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I'm going with freak creation of magic/science that apparently worked out just fine.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Genetic accident ala Marvel's mutants?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I might regret this question. But what's up with the self-shipping? Tripple self-shipping even.

Clone, twin, magic spell, parallel worlds, etc.

Because fanfic writers are awful people.
    Edit: okay sorry that's not true. Obviously most people aren't awful. Most fanfic is though.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

AvA
    Apples vs. Alicorns

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Chemical X

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Okami wrote: »
    I honestly am not all that bothered by Cadence being an alicorn, at first it was strange, but I mostly shrugged it off since it meant Celestia could stop having pink toys.

Once I saw the finale and put a personality to her, I genuinely liked her as a character and I want to see more of her and Shining Armor in the future. Hell I'm even brewing plans to take this Cupcake pony I ended up with and make her into adolescent Cadence, since she has the right hair and about the right size.

I was mostly bothered by the fact that making Cadence an alicorn and a princess didn't seem to add anything at all to the plot. It felt like a hasty rewrite. But at least she's still a somewhat likeable, humble character rather than a prissy fairytale princess.

Other than that, "Trust your instincts" seems like a poor lesson to take from the episode. Especially when they could have gone with something like "You get your strength from the ponies who love you."

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Other than that, "Trust your instincts" seems like a poor lesson to take from the episode. Especially when they could have gone with something like "You get your strength from the ponies who love you."

"... and so do Succubi"

Joolander on
  • thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

"... and so do Succubi"

There, see how much more relevant to real life that is?

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

This is actually the one part of the plot of the finale that irked me, especially since it was handled better in earlier episodes:
    I kind of found Celestia's talk to Twilight at the end to be really disheartening, from a child's perspective. The Twilight in me was thinking "well maybe instead of telling me how good it is to trust my instincts, you should have trusted my instincts and not joined every one of my friends in abandoning me when I was telling you that something bad is happening."

One of the really moving things for me about Pinkie's character was she had two different episodes where the lesson was basically "listen to your kids when they say something bad is happening" and in this episode we flat out had the voice of "adulthood" on the show sort of glossing over the fact that she ignored a child telling her- literally- that her babysitter was being abusive. Look, I admit I am over-thinking that, but seriously Hasbro.

The problem here wasn't Twilight's instincts, it was that everyone in authority ignored her. I dunno, I felt like that would have been a great opportunity for a line like "no, Twilight, I learned something today"

edited April 2012
    It's a great lesson though. Sure another one might have suited the episode better but I like this one.

Twilight spotted something her friends and teacher hadn't and followed through with it.

Quantum Tiger on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well, lets be honest, she presented it very poorly. You dont wait until the rehersal starts the next day, and announce the bride is evil. She could have gone to see Celestia that same night and explained what she saw, but instead she took the drama whore route and got ignored. Which i kinda like as a lesson to little girls :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    the_royal_duck_faces_by_johnjoseco-d4xp8ts.jpg

tumblr_ln77i6yfjH1qa5z1ro1_500.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I didn't even get that they were making the duck face thing in that picture until I saw the comic panel below it. It just kind of looks like what I expect of an equine face.

steam_sig.png
    Oh my god, I just realised.
    What if this alicorn 'situation' escalates?

First it starts with Cadance, then an alicorn moves into ponyville. After that alicorns are running the ponyville bank, bakery, art studio etc.

Next thing you know the mane six are out of their jobs and riding their own alicorns into town to pick up their state benefit cheques!

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Candice is win/win in my opinion
    Hasbro gets to market a pink princess pony
    Studio B gets an awesome season fanalie out of it
    The fans gain another pony character or two for thier dA fodder.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, I just realised.
    What if this alicorn 'situation' escalates?

First it starts with Cadance, then an alicorn moves into ponyville. After that alicorns are running the ponyville bank, bakery, art studio etc.

Next thing you know the mane six are out of their jobs and riding their own alicorns into town to pick up their state benefit cheques!

Totally worth it if it prompts a "DEY TERK OUR JERBS" from Applejack

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    halkun wrote: »
    Candice is win/win in my opinion
    Hasbro gets to market a pink princess pony
    Studio B gets an awesome season fanalie out of it
    The fans gain another pony character or two for thier dA fodder.

If the trade off was "You guys can have your white Celestia, as long as we have a pink princess to market" im ok with this. But to all you die hard fans out there thinking she ruins the lore of Equestria, worst case scenario is that she is mentioned a couple of times. I honestly don't see her coming back visually for season 3.
    Maybe Season 4
    Oh wait, only 13 episodes were announced...
    D:

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
This discussion has been closed.