As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I like markers

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Why hasn't someone swooped you up and made you draw things in a dark cave for profit?

Thanks joshgotro. :) I'm actually going to start at an iPhone game company in a month yay! Another one from tonight.

ooh_ooh_by_blightedkujo-d4xinf1.jpg

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I love your drawings but they depress me because I get the distinct feeling ill never be able to dive into a 12 issue trade paperback graphic novel that would sink my sanity in your imagination.

Here's to hoping I am desperately wrong.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    I love your drawings but they depress me because I get the distinct feeling ill never be able to dive into a 12 issue trade paperback graphic novel that would sink my sanity in your imagination.

Here's to hoping I am desperately wrong.

Word. I wouldn't even mind a Suess inspired childrens book really.

Thanks guys. I'd like to do a graphic novel / story when things aren't so busy. :)

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Go for it, that's a day one purchase for me.

Just a small one today, been a bit busy with 3D stuff lately. :)

lewlwtfm8_by_blightedkujo-d4yaapk.jpg

Can you sort of talk me through your process when doing this stuff? (is it all freehand, do you block anything out before putting down lines w/e) Also what tools are you using (brand o' markers or w/e)

edited May 2012
    Hey ninjai, it's all freehand. Even with the graphic-designy bits I avoid using a ruler; partly to keep an authentic shakiness to the line quality, partly just to practice drawing a straight line. I use Staedler mechanical pencils with red lead for the drafting, then Tombow dual brush markers for the colours (the red lead stops bleeding and muddiness, unlike the blue and grey leads), then the lines are inked over the top with a Kuretake brush pen.

Giveaway: I'm doing something a lil different this time. I want to give this one away, it's about A4 in size so I'll ship it anywhere.... I guess on a first-comment basis so leave a comment if you think you'd like this pic. :) The colours are a bit different in reality cause I suck at photo editing in photoshop. :P

"Self-Distracted"

self_distracted_by_blightedkujo-d4yonlh.jpg

McJohnstable on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I'll let someone else grab it, but you should totes post some of your 3d stuff!

edited May 2012
    I like it? Can I have it? I'd be starting quite a forumer collection at this point lol :P

ninjai on
    Thanks Kochikens, I'll start uploading 3d stuff. :)

Ninjai, sweet! PM me your address and i'll send it :)

And some Hellboy.

ah_jeez_by_blightedkujo-d4ypfv9.jpg

• NicNic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I like his leg situation there, but that might just be me. I feel like structurally the height and width of his legs make it seem like they'd collapse under him. But I'll be damned if the upper body isn't fucking amazing. Good job!

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Man, you don't even care about bright colours. You just attack each image. I love that.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    Thanks heaps for the feedback, I reckon yer right. :)

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_by_blightedkujo-d4z0xd7.jpg

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Put out a giant coffee table book and shut up and take my money!

are YOU on the beer list?
    Thanks guys.

Something a bit different today, I'm learning to use dynamics; here's a shattered wine glass with a bullet cone.

• Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    The expression on Link's face does it for me. And the way his teeth kind of poke through on the side to indicate the angle you're looking at him.

• Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    Also, where do you get those red mechanical pencil fillers?

Thanks mate. I get them from my local art store. :)

"Somethin' Eerie", spoilered for blood. :)
    somethin___eerie_by_blightedkujo-d523cym.jpg

• Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Awesome, that barely describes just how damn great these are!

• MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Amazing work, I can't wait to see more.

Have some time, check out my blog
    Thanks heaps. I need to get a new purple marker, mine's running out....

Anti-dep Los Muertos.

anti_dep_los_muertos_by_blightedkujo-d585g45.jpg

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    That's awesome dude. Love the "mask" design.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Double post.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    your style is making me depressed it is so good

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    You should totally make copies of your sketchbooks. I would buy the hell out of that thing.

Thanks guys. Prospicience: I'm actually getting a few prints ready (only 5 at the mo) to sell online, and looking for the best site to do that through. :) Will post here when they're ready.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I think bigcartel is free membership with a small inventory and small service charge, I know a few people who use them for prints iirc.

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing some prints!

Thank you tapeslinger, I took your advice and the store is live now.

http://mcjohnstable.bigcartel.com/

There are five prints available at A4 size, $20 each plus shipping costs. I'd really appreciate spreading the word (or even better, purchasing something) and will personally have a sexy dream about anybody that does so tonight, oh my.

Any feedback would be much appreciated as well, be it through here, PM, or my email: marc.a.johnst@gmail.com

Thanks heaps!

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Hey McJonstable ... not to jack your thread but where did you get your prints made? I was just asking about this generally in the Qs thread but no one's biting.

header_image_sm.jpg
    Hi squidbunny, I got my prints done at a local print store here (called Big Picture), rather than online. I'd recommend you build a rapport with a local printing place if you have one available.

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Damn it Mcj, you are some sort of unholy terror brought to make us feel inferior! Excellent work!

There is something crazy charming about a black speech bubble. As always knockin' it out the park.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh wow, yeah. Just gorgeous.

• ChraeChrae Writer/Illustrator MidwestRegistered User new member
    It's hard to pick a favorite. What you are capable of producing with markers is just amazing. Having tinkered with them quite a bit over the years I can honestly say I've never come close to producing anything comparable. Keep up the awesome work friend, and like many others have already stated, if you were to dump these into a book I'd gladly throw a few bones your way.

mbf.jpg
    My attempt at a comic and adding a few more laughs to the interweb - Modest Bob and Friends