As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fun ideas for "Paper" wedding anniversary gift

AftyAfty Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A,

I am rapidly approaching my first wedding anniversary and I am lacking inspiration at what to get my wife as a present. I've thought about tickets to a show, but that seems kind of obvious, I also thought about a holiday, but we are booking one together already. Her only hobbies really are reading, baking and sewing, andI foolishly bought her a tonne of books for Christmas on both sewing and baking and so don't want to buy more.

Have you heard of any great ideas for a Paper anniversary?

Afty on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You could approach the event ironically and get her an e-reader. ;)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Money is paper

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Origami something something?

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    First edition hardcover copy of her favorite book of all time or childhood favorite she hasn't read in years?

If you're looking for a way to just get her something non-paper, you could make a long chain of paper loops that lead her from her anniversary card to the <INSERT NON-PAPER GIFT HERE> hidden in another room. Bonus husband points if you write something sweet on each loop of the chain.

• Options
    Why did I not think of an e-reader before!

That's a real possibility thanks, I would like to do something paper if possible, but I like the idea of a paper based gesture and a non paper based gift.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Whatever you decide, you will never go wrong with a heartfelt letter/note. Go ahead, be sappy. My dad does this for mom every year, and she loves it. I've seen some of them, and dad is...not the best writer. But honestly, so long as you put effort and thought into it, it is a lovely lovely thing to do.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Afty wrote: »

That's a real possibility thanks, I would like to do something paper if possible, but I like the idea of a paper based gesture and a non paper based gift.

Personalized toilet paper (more as a supplementary gift)

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Money is paper

Actually, it's not. It's about 3/4 cotton, 1/4 linen. But I think this is a cute idea.

Personally, I love the idea of the e-reader, particularly if she already wants one or could use an upgrade. I also like the idea of tickets to see a concert, play, or movie of some kind.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    naporeon wrote: »
    Money is paper

Actually, it's not. It's about 3/4 cotton, 1/4 linen. But I think this is a cute idea.

Personally, I love the idea of the e-reader, particularly if she already wants one or could use an upgrade. I also like the idea of tickets to see a concert, play, or movie of some kind.

This is far better and more romantic than an e-reader, in my opinion. It's not her birthday. It's your first year wedding anniversary. Make it memorable and romantic.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I attempted to make my wife 12 paper roses to celebrate our 12 months married. Turns out, I'm crap at origami, so I made her 12 paper swans and arranged them in a heart shaped flock.

She liked it =)

(also, I took her out to dinner and a movie because I'm no fool)

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If she really enjoys baking you might think about getting a bunch of family members from both sides to email you their favorite recipe and putting together a family cookbook. It's paper and hopefully you get some good eats out of it in the future.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Money is paper

This is far better and more romantic than an e-reader, in my opinion. It's not her birthday. It's your first year wedding anniversary. Make it memorable and romantic.

Well I don't think he's just gonna give her the e-reader and then be like "here you go, I'm off to the bar with my friends".

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Afty wrote: »

Personalized toilet paper (more as a sanitary gift)

Maybe something more lasting.

Would she like those DNA posters?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    paper jewelry can actually be lovely.

I know this is your wedding anniversary, but adorable personal story,

When my brother in law and my sister got to their first year of dating, he gave her an origami ring with a dime for the jewel (A Dime-in-Ring) in a little yellow box. My sister loved his cute/dorky gift and held on to it, though she always would bring it up jokingly. Finally one day when she brought it up, he asked her if she even still had it, and of course when she brought out the beat up yellow box triumphantly and opened it, it had a beautiful engagement ring in it.

If you do a kindle and you are savvy on jail-breaking, I would screensaver hack it and put some meaningful images on it. It can also read pdf's so you can write her something personal and cute for her first kindle book. Maybe a custom kindle cover to really seal the deal. Make it something cool and lasting, so it doesn't feel like a hand written note just tacked onto the big ticket item.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Julius wrote: »
    Money is paper

Well I don't think he's just gonna give her the e-reader and then be like "here you go, I'm off to the bar with my friends".

Didn't say that. But when I think "wedding anniversary" one of the last things that come to mind is electronic toys. I don't care how nerd-savvy your wife is, I think she'd appreciate something romantic far more, that's all.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tickets were the first thing that came to mind but he said in the OP he's not big on the idea so you know.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, the reason i'm not big on tickets, is that we go out to gigs and the theatre quite a lot anyway, so it wouldn't really feel that special. Maybe a show in london would be however.
    Julius wrote: »

now that you mention it..............

Afty on
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    Or you could ignore the paper thing and just get her a gift you want to get her. I have been ignoring the "required" gifts and it works out pretty well. Of course, if she's a big stickler for tradition, your results may vary.

If you decide to go the paper route...uh...the only clever thing I can come up with is watch her favorite (or a new movie?) on Pay-per-view? My mind keeps going to paper-mache, but the sensible half of my mind says "NO!"

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Most of my initial thoughts have already been covered, but you could do that old cliche of giving her "coupons" for romantic things like backrubs or household chores or what not. Kind of silly, but maybe it's the kind of thing your lady would like.

• Options
    Are you in the UK? Because if you stick to this tradition, what are you going to do for year 8? Salt.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Are you in the UK? Because if you stick to this tradition, what are you going to do for year 8? Salt.

Ocean cruise, obviously.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Ocean cruise, obviously.

What is he going to do for Rock, then?

120116042907_italy-cruise-ship-wreck.jpg

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Paper lanterns for lighting. ^.^

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    There are two different sets of anniversary gift-categories, the traditional one and the 'modernized' one. First year is paper or clocks, so if you can't come up with a good paper gift you can always go with a nice clock for your shared mantle or a fancy-pants watch.

Or. OR. You can buy this totally awesome book that is both paper and a clock:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Working-Paper-Clock/dp/0060910666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335556342&sr=8-1

(Note: I tried to talk my wife into that on our first anniversary and she still won't buy me the damned clock book and thought it was the stupidest thing ever, so take my advice with a large pile of salt here)

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    There are two different sets of anniversary gift-categories, the traditional one and the 'modernized' one. First year is paper or clocks, so if you can't come up with a good paper gift you can always go with a nice clock for your shared mantle or a fancy-pants watch.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Working-Paper-Clock/dp/0060910666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335556342&sr=8-1

(Note: I tried to talk my wife into that on our first anniversary and she still won't buy me the damned clock book and thought it was the stupidest thing ever, so take my advice with a large pile of salt here)

That's actually pretty cool. For $11 each, you should buy a dozen of them and set them all up around the bedroom when she's asleep.

That's certainly something to wake up to.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    What about a scrapbook of the last year of your marriage? Maybe a collection of vintage postcards of places you've been or want to go? If you go the "want to go" route you could add in the tickets and modern postcards after you've been?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options

This is the best thing ever and if my husband got one of these for us to make together I would love that. Then again, I am fascinated by clockwork and always wanted to learn more about it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What I've been doing is mixing the "traditional" and "modern" lists. I just google for anniversary gifts by year modern vs traditional and that first link gives the lists right by each other.

For year one, I found a wall clock made of linen papers.
    For year two, I modified it a bit and got a tea set with cotton designs on it.
    And so on and so forth.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    While i didn't give it to her than go out to a bar, one of my wife's favorite gift of mine to her was her kindle and she is absolutely as untechinical as they come

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Photo Paper is paper.

I took a wedding photo, and added in my wedding vows to the bottom of it, printed it off, and got a nice frame to put it in.

She seemed to like it.

banner_160x60_01.gif
This discussion has been closed.