As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair and the Loss Thereof

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ever since I was a kid, I had to accept a basic truth. Genetically, I'm destined to get really bald. My dad is bald, and baldness runs on both sides of my family. It's happening very quickly to my little brother, and he's only 25. On the other hand, I'm already 28, and I'm not nearly as bad as he is. I think I'm starting to see some thinning and a receeding hairline, though, but it's hard to just tell at a look at this point. So my questions are

1: How can you tell if you are starting to lose your hair before it becomes too late?

2: What, at this point, can you really do about it? Is rogaine really useful in the slightest, or is it barely better than the old "Hair in a Tube" idea the Simpsons parodied over 15 years ago? What about more recent advancements, and how much can I expect to pay for them?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm 23 and look to be in the same boat as you friend.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

Afty on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm 34. I started losing my hair when I was 14. For my high school senior portraits and stuff like that, I had to be sure to pose so my bald spot wouldn't show. I've had my head shaved for about 10 years now, and it's the second time I've gone that route.

Assuming for the moment that you have insurance, you can certainly ask your doctor about it next time you go in. Tell him about the family history, but bear in mind that's not the only factor; my brother, for instance, has a full head of thick luxurious hair. That fuckwad.

Anyway, your doctor will probably be able to take a look and see if your hairline is moving, if you've got male-pattern baldness thinning, and that kinda junk. This is stuff you probably can do too, but it's good to have an objective eye looking at it. You don't want to be in denial and miss what's there, or be seeing something that isn't there because you're paranoid.

That said, if you think you have reason to worry about it, you probably do. Rogaine does work, and for a lot of people, work very well. It's available in big old tubs at Costco. Propecia is also supposed to be pretty good, but last time I checked, was prescription only, and probably not covered by insurance.

However, I don't know how well any of that works over the long term. Are you hooking yourself up for a lifetime of rubbing schmutz in your hair or it'll all fall out in one day? Could be, I dunno. Would you be better off finding a hairstyle that doesn't show the thinning/baldness very much that you can just live and be happy with? Yes, I think so. Probably cheaper too. I haven't bought shampoo in a decade!

Oh, one last thing: do you have asthma? I know some asthma meds make hair fall out. Not chemo-style-lose-all-your-hair, but make for decided thinning. That may just be something you have to live with. Or, you know, stop breathing.

chromdom on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In some people, hair loss is linked to high levels of Testosterone, especially in those who train with weights. Regular Aerobic exercise can help in keeping low levels of testosterone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe that Rogaine only works on thinning hair on the back of your head, not on a receding hairline.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I believe that Rogaine only works on thinning hair on the back of your head, not on a receding hairline.

Anybody who's using it want to chime in? This is contrary to my understanding.

chromdom on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    chromdom wrote: »
    I was looking at one of the aforementioned tubs that Costco sells the other day, and I think that's what it said.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The other option is laser therapy which stimulates dormant hair follicals to grow again.

In all seriousness there should be a clinic around you somewhere, most offer free intial consultations so look in the phone book or go the Bruce Willis look.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was looking at one of the aforementioned tubs that Costco sells the other day, and I think that's what it said.

I took a quick look at the Rogaine web site (www.rogaine.com, duh!*), and they point out that it works differently on different people. I'd imagine it's very possible that it's more likely to work on either the bald spot or the receding hairline, but I have a hard time believing that it can't work on one or the other.

* Was that a bit over-snarky?

chromdom on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, how can I tell how much of it is actual hair loss, and how much is just paranoia? Is there even a doctor of the right specialty who can determine this before I spend the rest of my life applying goop to my hair every day?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am of the opinion that if you are suspicious, you probably should be. This also works for cheating significant others and steroid abuse: if you think something's wrong, you're probably right. As far as the right kind of doctor, I'd guess any cosmetic surgeon could tell you, but my general practitioner took a look at me and was confident in his "Yeah, that's male pattern baldness."

chromdom on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

It was approved for balding at the crown, but post-launch studies have shown some limited efficacy on the hairline. Same with Propecia.
    Blaket wrote:
    The other option is laser therapy which stimulates dormant hair follicals to grow again.

This has not been found to be effective by the FDA and the studies are mixed. The FDA has approved it as safe, though - so when you see "FDA-approved" in those ads they're referring to safety approval, not efficacy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    It was approved for balding at the crown, but post-launch studies have shown some limited efficacy on the hairline. Same with Propecia.
    Is there anything that's more effective on the hairline?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

30 minutes of vigorous cardio exercise daily combined with a diet low in fat and cholesterol?
    Or hair plugs, take your pick.

Basically, there are four and a half medically accepted treatments for hair loss. The two I just mentioned, Propecia, Rogaine, and the 1/2 is Nizoral. Nizoral is a 1/2 because it only seems to do any good when combined with Propecia and/or Rogaine, and the benefit is very slight.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2007
    30 minutes of vigorous cardio exercise daily combined with a diet low in fat and cholesterol?
    Seriously?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seriously?

Yeah, seriously. There seems to be a not-very-well-understood connection between sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and male pattern baldness.

Feral on

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I once read an interview with Christopher Walken where he said that the reason he has a great head of hair is that every morning in the shower he grabs it and tugs it around as hard as he can stand to keep his scalp supple.

However, I don't know if that's an insight into baldness... or just another sign that Walken is out of his damn mind.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was very active and ate reasonably well when I was younger but I still had severe alopecia. I started losing around 15 - 16 years old and had a visible widows peak and thinning by age 19. At 22 I had a visible bald spot in the back, and by 27 I was pretty much Patrick Stewart without the grey. At its peak, every time I ran my fingers through my hair, I would come away with dozens of hairs with no pain whatsoever. If I were pulling at my hair, I'd imagine it would have gone much faster.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seriously?
    Yeah, seriously. There seems to be a not-very-well-understood connection between sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and male pattern baldness.
    Specifically low in fat and cholesterol, though, or just healthy in general?

Cause I loves me some eggs.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lower dietary fat intake. That seems to reduce free testosterone levels, which could in turn reduce DHT levels. Like I said, it's not a well-understood link.

Feral on