As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yes, YES! Burn up in the fire of your own hate my little ones, and let the ashes serve as nourishment for a functional political discourse in the US

Let the hate flow through you.

Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I parked cars for a Romney fundraising event today. Even saw the dude himself, briefly, from a distance, as he between his vehicle and the small mansion where it was held.

Not much exciting happened. I got stiffed 2 times out of 5, but then, rich people often just don't carry cash.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    It should be noted that the Jesuits, while awesome, are probably the most liberal order in Catholicism.

Also largest and (arguably) most influential.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I parked cars for a Romney fundraising event today. Even saw the dude himself, briefly, from a distance, as he between his vehicle and the small mansion where it was held.

Not much exciting happened. I got stiffed 2 times out of 5, but then, rich people often just don't carry cash.

what kinda cars!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    dojango wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    If Rubio overcomes his feigned reluctance to take the VP job, this is a gift:
    "George W. Bush, in my opinion, did a fantastic job as president over eight years."

Is it standard for campaigning VPs to withdraw from their current position in the senate when they start running? As much as I'm not a fan of Rubio I'd like even less for Rick Scott to be able to appoint someone worse.

I think by law they have to now? I feel like the Republicans did this after 2004.
    Nope, not for this situation. In some states current officials can't run for something else without resigning first, but that's quite different.

yeah, Biden and Palin didn't quit their jobs until after the election was over. Same with Obama, which led to the Blagoyevich kerrfluffle.

Ah, right. I wonder where I thought that silly thing up...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blah

This Rubio speech at Brookings is just baby's first foreign policy with a sprinkling of GOP talking points. I don't see what the fuck is so "major" about this.

"We want to be at peace with countries like China, but we can't be if they're bad guys."
    "Iran shouldn't get nukes"
    "When the UN security council gets blocked by Russia and China we have to be willing to work with our allies outside of a UN mandate."

A novel complaint was "US influence is diminished by the UN's one nation, one vote model"

EDIT:

He's also being (surprise surprise) incredibly simplistic about Syria and Latin America.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    What allies do we have that do not have representation in the UN?

Edit: Never mind, I see now the other way the question could (should?) be read.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Sorry, that's a pretty clumsy sentence, let me edit it to look purttier. I should no better than to post first thing in the morning.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »

what kinda cars!

German luxury cars were very prevalent. Mercedes, Audi, BMW- pretty standard for a wealthy event.

There were a few more Jaguars than I usually see, and at least a few Priuses. There were GM cars too, of course, but not more than one would expect.

The most remarkable thing to me was that two of the maybe 12 cars I drove had seats that adjust to support you when the car turns. The side of the backrest literally moves so you don't slide over due to centripetal forces. I haven't seen that many other times.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Yeah, they'll just call him a hypocritical Muslim dog eater now.

Mayber superimpose him snacking on Lassie.

yeah: Can you trust a sekrit muslim who does not accord with sekriut muslim practice. look there is a black man in the white house.

It's not even funny the level of cognitive dissonance that's crept into all english speaking political systems. :(

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Gingrich-to-Romney-I-ll-back-you-3511040.php

Newt Gingrich told Mitt Romney on Wednesday morning that he would suspend his presidential campaign next week and begin working to turn out conservative voters for Romney and Republican candidates in the fall election, Gingrich's spokesman said in an interview.

Gingrich plans to officially endorse Romney's candidacy after suspending his own efforts next week, said R.C. Hammond, the spokesman. Hammond said that Romney was "cordial and respectful" during the call and that Gingrich said he was "committed to helping him in the fall."

This is probably a better route to further political viability than Santorum's "Fuck You, I'm Going Home," method.

• Options
    That news actually fits very well with my guesswork from months ago that Gingrich would make a great running mate for Romney, and I still hold to that.

Gingrich offers things Romney needs:
    - Washington political experience
    - Support in the South
    - Support with Santorum's evangelical base
    - A Christian on the ticket

As well, he's not exactly the kind of candidates that will inspire people to show up and vote against him, like Santorum would have been. And he's not some bland milquetoast smiling face on a poster.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    While listening to NPR the other day, I heard an interesting suggestion for Romney's running mate: Condoleezza Rice. African-American, female, and former Secretary of State. She would add serious legitimacy to the R ticket.

and reminds everyone of the glory years of Dubya

• Options
    While listening to NPR the other day, I heard an interesting suggestion for Romney's running mate: Condoleezza Rice. African-American, female, and former Secretary of State. She would add serious legitimacy to the R ticket.

We talked about this already a few pages ago.

I don't think it will happen. She's not going to appeal to the demographics Romney has yet to capture (Southerners, Evangelicals), and the independents aren't going to want any relics of the Bush Administration being brought back to fore. She's only going to appeal to the establishment, and Romney already has their vote sewn up.

The only voting base she might appeal to is women, but given the GOP's draconian stance on women's issues, they could nominate Gloria Steinem for VP and still carry 0% of the non-Republican women's vote.

Any mention of her on the ticket is just the same kind of thinking that got Sarah Palin nominated.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gingrich would be an interesting choice for VP, he would certainly go for it because that's the closest he will ever get to the White House at this point.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Gingrich would be an interesting choice for VP, he would certainly go for it because that's the closest he will ever get to the White House at this point.

And if they win, we'd get to see four years of rube goldberg plans to get the top seat.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    If I wasn't already planning to vote for Obama, I would totally vote against Gingrich. Also I would vote against Romney, so there's that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Judging by the bumper stickers I see, Republicans want that.
    I don't think it will happen. She's not going to appeal to the demographics Romney has yet to capture (Southerners, Evangelicals), and the independents aren't going to want any relics of the Bush Administration being brought back to fore. She's only going to appeal to the establishment, and Romney already has their vote sewn up.
    True, if the Republicans are only interested in getting together a ticket that excites their base, Rice is a bad choice. But from a governing perspective?

Torture would be back on the table again. Wonderful.

(If that's not clear enough I'm being sarcastic.)

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Since when do they care about governing?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

And if they win, we'd get to see four years of rube goldberg plans to get the top seat.

Yeah, you'd have to be awfully brave to make Newt your number two.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    True, if the Republicans are only interested in getting together a ticket that excites their base, Rice is a bad choice. But from a governing perspective?

The other reason it won't happen is that Rice has been pretty clear that she has absolutely no interest in running for any kind of public office. She's perfectly content teaching.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

The other reason it won't happen is that Rice has been pretty clear that she has absolutely no interest in running for any kind of public office. She's perfectly content teaching.

I actually find that admirable.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Romney would be the first president to be mysteriously assassinated immediately after being sworn in.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Romney would be the first president to be mysteriously assassinated immediately after being sworn in.

They'd find his corpse in the penguin exhibit at the National Aquarium.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "Surprise, Mr. President! You'll be the first to tour my new moon base!"

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Do Republicans really want to win? I honestly think they get more of the things they want simply by blocking everything government does. In power they have certain things they have to do, like try to pass budgets and so on, out of power they can just block everything. With the federal government unable to act, and states with democratic governments also paralyzed by their local republicans states with Republican governments and big business can fill the power vacuum with much less oversight and regulation. Furthermore their big business backers don't actually want the Ryan budget, since they like their government contracts and not having to pave their own roads to their factories and malls.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I think Gingrich would gladly take the office of President of the Moon.

• Options

"The Moon belongs to America, and anxiously awaits her astro-men. Will you be among them?"

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

"The Moon belongs to America, and anxiously awaits her astro-men. Will you be among them?"

The Izzard Statute of Flag-Based Acquisition states our ownership exactly.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/26/11409166-first-thoughts-obama-maintains-map-edge?lite
    There are 231 electoral votes in the Democratic column (either in the solid, likely, or lean categories), and there are 197 on the Republican side; 110 electoral votes are toss-up. In our previous NBC News map, which we released in late February, the Democratic advantage was 227-197. The only changes from February until now were that we moved New Hampshire from toss-up to Lean Dem; we moved Indiana from Likely GOP to Lean GOP; and we moved Georgia from Lean GOP to Likely GOP.

*** Breaking down the seven toss-up states: As you see above, we have seven states in the toss-up category: Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. And if we were to push some of these states -- based on polling, past performance, and what we’ve heard from the campaigns/parties -- we’d give a slight edge to Obama in Colorado and Pennsylvania, and we’d give a slight edge to Romney in North Carolina. And that leaves us with four pure toss-ups: Florida, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. One other point here: There aren’t enough toss-ups in the Midwest for Romney. He HAS to put Michigan and Wisconsin into play to put map pressure on Obama, especially if the GOP’s Hispanic problem continues to make the Western swing states uphill climbs.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

The Izzard Statute of Flag-Based Acquisition states our ownership exactly.
    ...and we didn't even have to take lip from 200 million native moon men about how they already lived there!

Now let's get moving on Mars. Or better yet the fucking sun? You think solar energy is free, you dirty European hippies? Well, enjoy it while it lasts...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/26/11409166-first-thoughts-obama-maintains-map-edge?lite
    There are 231 electoral votes in the Democratic column (either in the solid, likely, or lean categories), and there are 197 on the Republican side; 110 electoral votes are toss-up. In our previous NBC News map, which we released in late February, the Democratic advantage was 227-197. The only changes from February until now were that we moved New Hampshire from toss-up to Lean Dem; we moved Indiana from Likely GOP to Lean GOP; and we moved Georgia from Lean GOP to Likely GOP.

*** Breaking down the seven toss-up states: As you see above, we have seven states in the toss-up category: Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. And if we were to push some of these states -- based on polling, past performance, and what we’ve heard from the campaigns/parties -- we’d give a slight edge to Obama in Colorado and Pennsylvania, and we’d give a slight edge to Romney in North Carolina. And that leaves us with four pure toss-ups: Florida, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. One other point here: There aren’t enough toss-ups in the Midwest for Romney. He HAS to put Michigan and Wisconsin into play to put map pressure on Obama, especially if the GOP’s Hispanic problem continues to make the Western swing states uphill climbs.

I wouldn't consider FL or OH tossups on account of the toxic governor factor.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-4gnNz0vc

Let the mudslinging ads for election year 2012 begin.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I made it about a minute in before I got sick of it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Parts of that video actually is completely true if you consider "America" to mean "America's older wealthy people" and fail to mean "be inconvenienced with higher taxes"

That video is a really good propaganda piece, lets just throw bullshit at them so fast they can't evaluate any of it. I weep for Obama.

override367 on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Parts of that video actually is completely true if you consider "America" to mean "America's older wealthy people" and fail to mean "be inconvenienced with higher taxes"

And Success meant massive environmental damage from oil drilling/accidents, for example.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I don't see where a NC lean to Romney comes from. Polling has leaned the other way

In fact, looking at tossups...
    Florida - Obama up between 2 and 7 in every poll, won in 08
    Nevada - Obama has been up at least 5 in every poll and won in 08
    Ohio - Obama up in every poll, ~5% won in 08
    Virginia - polling inconsistent, Obama consistently led until recently and won in 08

The tossup lean to Obama in CO and PA apparently means between a 5 and 10 point lead.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I watched 7 seconds before noticing it is 4 minutes long. I skipped ahead a couple times and was not impressed with the few sound bytes I took in. These vids are so lame it's like they are trying to convince kids not to vote for a certain someone for the position of hall monitor or something.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Success means complete devastation of the climate, wetlands, gulf coast, farmland, but we'll get like 2% cheaper gas in 10 years

Seriously though, older rich people don't care, they'll be dead by then.

Edit: I am heartened by a number of comments. Not everyone is stupid enough to think the environment is fine and obama is king

override367 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-4gnNz0vc

Let the mudslinging ads for election year 2012 begin.

I was linked this yesterday, because "I want to see your reaction to it".

So, naturally, instead of hooting and hollering like an angry howler monkey, I watched the whole thing, then calmly informed him that people who want to believe unsourced conspiracy theories are going to believe them regardless of reality, and people with the mildest bit of education will not.

This discussion has been closed.