As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Fitness Group!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I have to say I am loving my fitbit! It's only 9:30 in the morning and I have climbed 7 flights of stairs that I never would have climbed on any other day. That plus the calorie calculation is awesome.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I have to say I am loving my fitbit! It's only 9:30 in the morning and I have climbed 7 flights of stairs that I never would have climbed on any other day. That plus the calorie calculation is awesome.

I've walked a ton more around the office than I normally would!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, I am going to the movies in awhile. I am sorry, diet, but pretzel bites say fuck you. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I am going to the movies in awhile. I am sorry, diet, but pretzel bites say fuck you. Haha.

Soft pretzels are pretty low in points, you get five bites for 3 points, so if you skip the processed cheese goo they give you it's probably only 9 for the whole container. (I'm using the old points, it might be different with PointsPlus.)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited April 2012
    Chorazin wrote: »

Soft pretzels are pretty low in points, you get five bites for 3 points, so if you skip the processed cheese goo they give you it's probably only 9 for the whole container. (I'm using the old points, it might be different with PointsPlus.)

Is that even an option to skip the ooey, gooey, so delicious, orange...... *droooool*

adias.angel on
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    I love that I belong to a community that is unfraid to share their love of fake liquid cheese. LOL. You guys are awesome.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI

Is that even an option to skip the ooey, gooey, so delicious, orange...... *droooool*
    I love that I belong to a community that is unfraid to share their love of fake liquid cheese. LOL. You guys are awesome.

Ugh, I've worked at a theater, I've handled the disgusting bags and cleaned those filthy dispensers. Bleck, it's all oil and unnatural flavors.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Just bought my food and supplements for the Kris Gethin diet. I will admit, I do not think I am ready for all this broccoli.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I guess I'll hop in on this. I could stand to lose a few pounds, and by a few I mean about 70, so we'll see how this goes. Finally getting warm enough to start hitting the park again though. :-)

Hmm... tempted to get a Fitbit, but I wouldn't be able to use it for half the day.

Anyways, good luck to everyone with their goals. Hopefully I can stick with it and see you all at PAX (a few pounds lighter of course).

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    @gespo89 Welcome to the family, and good luck on the goals!

And @Corazin - watch the blasphemy about processed cheese. Sometimes it's all that gets me through the day! I suppose next you'll tell me not to put butter on movie theater popcorn!! ;)

@browncoatbeth I, too, love that we're a bunch of normal people trying to get healthy, but occasionally eating crap. As long as I keep my goal in mind, it keeps me sane to stuff my face once in a while.

My fitbit is on the way.. will be able to join the family next Wednesday :)

vttym wrote: »
    And @Corazin - watch the blasphemy about processed cheese. Sometimes it's all that gets me through the day! I suppose next you'll tell me not to put butter on movie theater popcorn!! ;)

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Movie theater "butter". I think I am gaining weight just by reading this thread.

vttym wrote: »

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Movie theater "butter". I think I am gaining weight just by reading this thread.

You can tell we have 11 months until we need to own up to our weight, eh? :)

Sorry.. no more talk of yummy foods today.. got some carrots that need eating!

Damn, this FitBit is really doing wonders for getting me up from my desk and moving here in the office. I'll taking super long routes to the bathroom and break room, and anywhere else I have to go. And that was before I checked out all the AWESOME stats the website gives you after you sync!

Food talk!

I just had some SnackWell's Fudge Pretzels, the 130 Calorie Pack for 3 points. SO DELICIOUS! I also have a huge variety pack of Smart Fries on the way, and air baked potato snack that's 2 point for an ounce, and you get a HUGE amount for that because they are so light. Tons of flavors coming my way! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    Darn it now I want a fitbit!

Research...research...research...

Also I want to be active on this thread now that I found the 2013 one!

TheTinMan wrote: »
    Darn it now I want a fitbit!

Research...research...research...

Also I want to be active on this thread now that I found the 2013 one!

You should, we're all awesome people and by association you become awesome.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Oh yeah, about myself and such.

I'm not looking to lose weight, I'm looking to become more badass! I'm training right now for my first ever half marathon (never having run > 8.5 miles) coming up in May. I'm trying to get stronger using bodyweight exercises but have a Living Social deal for 6 weeks at a Crossfit gym, so I'll see how that goes after the race.

I'm on Fitocracy and a big fan and decently active member over at NerdFitness.com, which all of you should check out.

As for nerd credentials: I'm a mechanical engineer who loves his video games! I've played games for as long as I can remember, going back to Windows 3.1. I found out about PA back in college, 7 years ago (gosh I'm old). I'm a little out of touch with playing current games but still love the oldy-but-goodies. You can find me at PAX playing my Pokemon Red or Gold on my clear purple Game Boy Color. I recently built a pretty baller (to me) computer so now I can play such modern, system-taxing titles as TF2 and Left 4 Dead 2. Yeah, I'm cool.

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I'm inspired by everyone in here and am looking in to a FitBit. Does anyone work retail that has one? I work in a fairly small shop in a mall and am wondering if anyone has any easy to do exercises that I can work on in between customers.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited April 2012

Ugh, I've worked at a theater, I've handled the disgusting bags and cleaned those filthy dispensers. Bleck, it's all oil and unnatural flavors.

This is an already packaged cup thingy that you peel open. Haha. Sometimes I just throw out the cheese cup and put in mustard. That has to be a lot better than the cheese. Good thing I am seeing The Avengers at the Movie Tavern. I can get a meal and not PRETZELS AND CHEESEEEEEEEE! But, I might do the Marvel marathon on Thursday, so we will see. Whomp whomp.

I guess it got the best of me. I gained .4 for the past week. Bah. Ice hockey starts next week, so my ankle better suck it up because I plan on playing at least three times a week very soon. I have been hovering from 228-227 (give or take like .4 here and there). At least I am not gaining, gaining, gainging. Still disappointing because I wanted to be like 215 or so by May 20th (friend's wedding). I am at 228 right now. We will see.

I am apparently 9 points under at the end of today (Thursday). Yay?

edit: Should I be looking into Fitbit for iOS? I don't really "count calories" since I go by my point total with Weight Watchers. Would it just be overkill?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2012
    Anyone else a subscriber to the Loseit subReddit? Holy crap, talk about inspiring!
    Should I be looking into Fitbit for iOS? I don't really "count calories" since I go by my point total with Weight Watchers. Would it just be overkill?

Yeah, the FitBit app kinda stinks. You can't sync your FitBit on the go (even though I'm pretty sure it's just using bluetooth) and the food stuff is worthless for me too. It's nice to have on you if you want to see how many steps you did previously, but other than that it's not that great.

But it's a free app, so what the hell.
    I found out about PA back in college, 7 years ago (gosh I'm old). I'm a little out of touch with playing current games but still love the oldy-but-goodies.

You, sir, can go gargle on a bag of dicks. I graduated college 10 years ago AND I'M NOT OLD DAMN IT /sob

;-)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Should I be looking into Fitbit for iOS? I don't really "count calories" since I go by my point total with Weight Watchers. Would it just be overkill?

Yeah, the FitBit app kinda stinks. You can't sync your FitBit on the go (even though I'm pretty sure it's just using bluetooth) and the food stuff is worthless for me too. It's nice to have on you if you want to see how many steps you did previously, but other than that it's not that great.

The FitBit doesn't use bluetooth, it uses Ant+ (a low power wireless standard for things like pedometers, heart rate monitors, etc). You would need to get an Ant+ dongle (and have the fitbit app support it) to sync that way.

The app is designed for you to be able to keep up with logging exercises on the go, logging food and water intake, etc. It's part of the "overall fitness" idea more than controlling your fitbit device ;)

You, sir, can go gargle on a bag of dicks. I graduated college 10 years ago AND I'M NOT OLD DAMN IT /sob

;-)

My sister, who has her 20th college reunion next year, is in agreement with you. I often catch myself complaining about being "old" and think of what she would do to me if she heard her 15 years younger brother whining about being old. Hint: it involves horrific pain and verbal assault. I'm kind of glad she dropped out of the half marathon because she probably would have been able to gloat that she beat me.

• TryfanTryfan Registered User regular
    I'm getting a fitbit when Delicious3.14 gets back from her vacation. I'll be joining the fitbit and fitocracy groups. Hopefully having everyone seeing my stats will be enough to finally motivate me to drop the 80lbs I gained 3 years ago.

PSN/XBL/Twitter: tryfan2k2 3DS: 0645-5860-0116
    @Tryfan Anything is possible if you set an honest commitment to yourself for it. You're in good company if you're looking for encouragement and motivation. If you're willing to put yourself out there and set goals for yourself, we'll cheer you on along the way! :)

zerzhul wrote: »

The FitBit doesn't use bluetooth, it uses Ant+ (a low power wireless standard for things like pedometers, heart rate monitors, etc). You would need to get an Ant+ dongle (and have the fitbit app support it) to sync that way.

The app is designed for you to be able to keep up with logging exercises on the go, logging food and water intake, etc. It's part of the "overall fitness" idea more than controlling your fitbit device ;)

Oh, well that's lame. I was hoping it would be someday synced right to my phone.

It'd be kinda awesome if FitBit added support for Weight Watchers, even if it's not to calculate points just to let you add them so you can show it on your dashboard.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited April 2012

Oh, well that's lame. I was hoping it would be someday synced right to my phone.

It'd be kinda awesome if FitBit added support for Weight Watchers, even if it's not to calculate points just to let you add them so you can show it on your dashboard.

It's /possible/. A few companies make ANT+ smartphone dongles, and it's possible ANT+ could be included inside of smartphones in the future.

Also, FitBit has an open API, so it's very possible that Weight Watchers could add support for FitBit (if not the other way around) so you could see your FitBit stuff on Weight Watchers, or possibly log all your Weight Watchers stuff into FitBit somehow ;)

zerzhul on

It's /possible/. A few companies make ANT+ smartphone dongles, and it's possible ANT+ could be included inside of smartphones in the future.

Also, FitBit has an open API, so it's very possible that Weight Watchers could add support for FitBit (if not the other way around) so you could see your FitBit stuff on Weight Watchers, or possibly log all your Weight Watchers stuff into FitBit somehow ;)

The problem with that is to use Weight Watchers official site and app, you need to pay for their online membership and use the new (IMO inferior) PointsPlus system, It would be up to some third party app to give me what I need.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

The problem with that is to use Weight Watchers official site and app, you need to pay for their online membership and use the new (IMO inferior) PointsPlus system, It would be up to some third party app to give me what I need.

Right, but to do it the other way FitBit would have to license WW to include it.

edited April 2012
    Anyways...

Successfuly resisted the free pizza in the lunch room when I went to fill up my water. Willpower Save vs Delicious was successful! My FitBit Talisman of Waking added +3 to my roll. Whew!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Anyways...

Successfuly resisted the free pizza in the lunch room when I went to fill up my water. Willpower Save vs Delicious was successful! My FitBit Talisman of Waking added +3 to my roll. Whew!

Come onnnn. Free pizza? One slice won't hurt! Ok, maybe get two slices. Three wouldn't be.....CRAP!

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2012
    Anyways...

Come onnnn. Free pizza? One slice won't hurt! Ok, maybe get two slices. Three wouldn't be.....CRAP!

More like I'd have the whole pie at my desk, devouring it like a boss. Pizza is a huge trigger food for me. I might have to get one on Sunday night and use the majority of my daily points on it!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Ya'all are making me crave some pizza now. Sounds like dinner and a movie night to me. ;)

Anyways...

Solid roll, nice job!

I did like the old formula because it was easy to do in my head. Isn't the new one all fancy and depend on type of food, etc?

Ya'all are making me crave some pizza now. Sounds like dinner and a movie night to me. ;)

Dinner and a hockey game night for me! I just might order a pizza tonight. Haha.

It just sucks ordering alone. Oh, I'll have two slices. Oh, there is still pizza left. MOAR SLIZEEESSS!

I might hold off on pizza tonight. Ha. I am going to a "college reunion," aka like 5 guys with their significant others, tomorrow. I heard something about some sort of stuffing being brought, as well as buffalo chicken dip (which I had like two years ago at a new years party and it was amaazzzinggg). So, I might just take it easy tonight.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Continuing down the Fitbit rabbit hole, I just pre-ordered their new wifi scale from Amazon! I'll get it near the end of next week. I'm kinda excited.

fitbit.com/product/aria/features
    Anyways...

Successfuly resisted the free pizza in the lunch room when I went to fill p my water. Willpower Save vs Delicious was successful! My FitBit Talisman of Waking added +3 to my roll. Whew!

Solid roll, nice job!

I did like the old formula because it was easy to do in my head. Isn't the new one all fancy and depend on type of food, etc?

Thanks! :-D

The new one uses a strange formula that just doesn't make sense to me. Classic Points for life!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited April 2012
    Continuing down the Fitbit rabbit hole, I just pre-ordered their new wifi scale from Amazon! I'll get it near the end of next week. I'm kinda excited.

fitbit.com/product/aria/features
    Anyways...

Successfuly resisted the free pizza in the lunch room when I went to fill p my water. Willpower Save vs Delicious was successful! My FitBit Talisman of Waking added +3 to my roll. Whew!

Solid roll, nice job!

Thanks! :-D

The new one uses a strange formula that just doesn't make sense to me. Classic Points for life!

We broke down and preordered an aria scale too. Hopefully it will arrive in the next couple weeks. I would really like to track my BMI better. :)

adias.angel on
    edited April 2012
    Down 3.6 pounds this week, Woohoo! That makes for 60.4 total pounds lost since the end of last May. I'd love to get up to 70 lost before the year is up, but that might be tough in only 4 weeks.
    We broke down and preordered an aria scale too. Hopefully it will arrive in the next couple weeks. I would really like to track my BMI better. :)

AWESOME! I'm not sure if I'm going to weigh myself every day with this, I think that would drive me crazy.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Wow, Amazon shipped my FitFit Aria scale already, apparently it'll be here tomorrow. Woohoo!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited April 2012
    Wow, Amazon shipped my FitFit Aria scale already, apparently it'll be here tomorrow. Woohoo!

*happy dance!* I think my husband ordered ours from fitbit directly so I am hoping ours is on the way too!

Edit: Scratch that. Ours still hasn't shipped. Should have ordered from Amazon.

adias.angel on
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Anyways...

More like I'd have the whole pie at my desk, devouring it like a boss. Pizza is a huge trigger food for me. I might have to get one on Sunday night and use the majority of my daily points on it!

this is me too. free pizza in the breakroom is like my crack. it is so hard to say no. but ww & fitbit both help me with motivation there.

@vttym - that's totally what I meant about the fake cheese. I just meant it's great that we're all trying to be healthier together, but not ashamed to admit we occasionally splurge on totally disgusting foods (despite knowing how bad they are for us, how highly caloric and points ridden, etc). one can't be perfect all the time!! :)

@gespo89 - welcome to the crew! :)

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    Woot! I ran 8.15 miles yesterday! It was 0.4 miles off of the farthest I've ever run in my life. My goal was to run 8.9, but my knee started bothering me. I was smart and stopped and the knee is fine.

In other news: in case there weren't enough ways to track and gauge progress Nerd Fitness has a deliciously nerdy six-week challenge going up today. The rules are here.

The gist: you choose an RPG class in line with this post. Distribue 15 attribute points across 6 categories to reflect where you currently are. Choose goals (3 fitness/1 life) and choose what attribute those will benefit. At the end of six weeks grade yourself and give yourself a percentage of those points based on what you decided it was worth.

Example: You have 3 STA and have a goal of running a 5k under 30 minutes. You say that is worth +4 STA. You run it in 31 minutes, earning a B (75%). Add 3 points to your STA.

This discussion has been closed.