As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    I finally wandered across some Hell footage and was amused by how fast the critters move.

Those goats can haul ass.
    where's this?

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    musanman wrote: »
    Matz wrote: »
    I don't normally play melee chars in these types of games (sorc and zon I did to death in D2) but have to say that after playing the beta, I really, really enjoyed the barb (only got the monk to level 3 -only had time for about 20 mins- but liked that too). Leaping into groups and smashing them across the room really appealed to me. Played with a few DH's as well and the "machine guns" they were unloading at times looked good to. Lots to like in this game and will be difficult to choose who to go with first.

I have always been a sorc guy myself, but there is a real good chance day 1 is a barb. I loved not only wrecking bitches frenzy style, but having my friends on mumble like "DEAR GOD YOU'RE LEAPING INTO MASSIVE GROUPS OF ENEMIES ARE YOU INSANE" only to laugh hysterically that they go flying across the screen.

The Barbarian just feels so visceral and brutal this time around. I mean, he always ways, but now he feels that way when he plays. The sound is spot-on, and the animations are, too. A buddy of mine came over to try out the open Beta, and he was laughing the whole time he played the Barb: at one point, he bashed a zombie so hard that the thing's goddamn skeleton flew out the back of its body. I mean ... that's just awesome.

milk ducks on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    Yep. The only thing I knew about Diablo 3 going in is that I would play something other than the Barbarian, because that's what I played in D2 and wanted to do something new.

Then I played the classes in the beta.
    It's going to be Barbarian.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I finally wandered across some Hell footage and was amused by how fast the critters move.

where's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

At 8:55 they show some goats running around and being adorable. A few other clips in there of players being horribly murdered, too.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Yep. The only thing I knew about Diablo 3 going in is that I would play something other than the Barbarian, because that's what I played in D2 and wanted to do something new.

This.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

This.

I'm definitely the same way, and Barb really shows the most work and physics display. However, there's still something about that Wizard/DH "Kill everything before they get close" play that's really awesome to me.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I don't normally play melee chars in these types of games (sorc and zon I did to death in D2) but have to say that after playing the beta, I really, really enjoyed the barb (only got the monk to level 3 -only had time for about 20 mins- but liked that too). Leaping into groups and smashing them across the room really appealed to me. Played with a few DH's as well and the "machine guns" they were unloading at times looked good to. Lots to like in this game and will be difficult to choose who to go with first.

I have always been a sorc guy myself, but there is a real good chance day 1 is a barb. I loved not only wrecking bitches frenzy style, but having my friends on mumble like "DEAR GOD YOU'RE LEAPING INTO MASSIVE GROUPS OF ENEMIES ARE YOU INSANE" only to laugh hysterically that they go flying across the screen.

The Barbarian just feels so visceral and brutal this time around. I mean, he always ways, but now he feels that way when he plays. The sound is spot-on, and the animations are, too. A buddy of mine came over to try out the open Beta, and he was laughing the whole time he played the Barb: at one point, he bashed a zombie so hard that the thing's goddamn skeleton flew out the back of its body. I mean ... that's just awesome.

I'm really impressed how different the Barbarian feels than the Monk. It's interesting because from the first attack I knew the Barb was just going to be a destructive maniac. Playing the monk next, it took me some time to warm up because he just didn't feel as bals to the wall powerful. By level 9 or 10 though, he clicked.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my problem with the barb is that every single hit seems to send something flying

a bit of variation would make the big hits seem chunkier

obF2Wuw.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Level 13 is pretty early, all things considered. I wouldn't judge just yet.

I had a ginormous problem with the monk's Lashing Tail Kick because the knockback effect was ridiculous. I didn't want to play a melee dude that is constantly trying to get into melee. But there's definitely other stuff the monk can do. I'm sure the barb is in the same boat.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    well its more they just decided to make everything hyperkinetic

which is cool but i find a bit monotonous

obF2Wuw.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    my problem with the barb is that every single hit seems to send something flying

a bit of variation would make the big hits seem chunkier

You can't tell me that by the end of the third game, the third damn time of having to put up with him, that you don't want to see Diablo get Hail Mary'd across the dungeon by the Barbarian.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I think we might have to play some D3 Surreality, just for your awesome commentary and accent.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    The barbarian is incredibly fun to play and awesome. In order of fun for me it is Barb -> DH -> WD -> Monk -> Mage

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

where's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

At 8:55 they show some goats running around and being adorable. A few other clips in there of players being horribly murdered, too.

I have to say, for the most part I'm very impressed with their design priorities and decisions.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I think we might have to play some D3 Surreality, just for your awesome commentary and accent.

I second that emotion.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    urahonky wrote: »

This.

I'm definitely the same way, and Barb really shows the most work and physics display. However, there's still something about that Wizard/DH "Kill everything before they get close" play that's really awesome to me.

You're not alone. I love the physics, but I wish there were more. If I could make a mountain of remains, I'd be more inclined towards Barbarian.

Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty awesome and I understand why people like it. But the allure of obliterating everything I look at before it gets to me really speaks to me. In other words, the speed. Charging into a group is well and good, but time spent catching up to something I knocked back is time I could also spend shooting at it...

Synthesis on
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    The Soul Harvest discussion was very much last page, but I'm not convinced there is a difference between Soul Harvest giving 30 intelligence and if it were changed to give a 30% damage increase. Because 30 intelligence IS a 30% damage increase... right? At least, it is when you view it as a damage increase of your base dps. Is that not how something like a barbarian shout would work too? 15% of base dps?

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    In the barbarian case, the 15% damage increase comes after Strength is applied to your weapon damage. 30 Int is a 30% increase of base DPS, sure, but a lot of your damage will come from the Int on your gear, especially at level 60 when we're going to be looking at characters with 100s of points of (primary stat), if the gear previews we've seen are any indication.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    In the barbarian case, the 15% damage increase comes after Strength is applied to your weapon damage. 30 Int is a 30% increase of base DPS, sure, but a lot of your damage will come from the Int on your gear, especially at level 60 when we're going to be looking at characters with 100s of points of (primary stat), if the gear previews we've seen are any indication.

I (obviously) wasn't aware primary stat DPS increase was applied before any skill or item % increase. So what you are saying is that "base DPS", the number that skill % increase works off of, is really weapon DPS (including bonuses from items, ie. adds 2-4 damage) + the bonus gained from primary stat?

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Some guy on the blizzard forums seems to have come up with a fairly comprehensive equation describing how damage is calculated: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4661688166

Here's his equation for using 1 weapon: DPS = (Weapon Avg Dmg + Avg Bonus Dmg from all Items) * (Weapon Attack Speed) * (1 + % Increase in Attack Speed from Items) * (1 + (Crit Rate * Crit Dmg Bonus)) * (1 + (Stat Value of Main Attribute / 100)) * (1 + % Skill Dmg Increase)

So, every time you get another point in your damage stat, it increases your total DPS by 1% of what your damage would be without your damage stat applied. If your barbarian has 50 strength and you find an item that gives you 50 more strength, that item increases your damage by 33.3%. If your barbarian has 500 strength and you find an item that gives you 50 more strength, that item increases your damage by 10%.

edited April 2012
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "base DPS," but it doesn't really matter whether you multiply a damage number by, e.g., 1.2 (for a 20% damage increase shout) before you multiply by your primary stat damage bonus or after, since the numbers will work out the same.

The idea is that the % bonus from the shout is multiplicative with primary stat bonuses, while the Int from Soul Harvest is of course additive.

Edit: Blah, Tarantio's post is better with his mighty "can look at other forums" powers.

forty on
    What do you guys think of a Barbarian build like this, that has no Fury dumping abilities? I think it actually sounds pretty good, personally. Because I'm only generating Fury, and not constantly dumping it to fuel my powers, I can take full advantage of Berserker Rage, and I'm actually pretty much totally free to just pick powers that work well for me. With Frenzy and Cleave, I've got a great single-target ability on hand, as well as one that's great for hitting clusters of enemies. And they work great together: I can juice up my attack speed and damage (via Maniac) and then Cleave the absolute shit out of enemies for a few moments before switching back to maintain my buffs.

Leap keeps me in the fray, and with Call of Arreat equipped, I can force enemies to engage me up close. Same thing goes for Ground Stomp with Wrenching Smash. Once they're in close, since I've got Cleave equipped with Gathering Storm, they're pretty much not going anywhere at all.

This guy's the black dog, man: once he sinks his teeth in, he never lets go.

Revenge helps punish enemies for attacking him, and War Cry with Impunity keeps him up-right.

For his passives, Superstition's great for almost all Barbarians. And like I said before, this particular build can fully utilize Berserker Rage, which basically just grants him 25% damage bonus permanently. Brawler seems like a great final choice, since this build's all about forcing enemies to get close.

Insane Destruction Streak. Doesn't look like that will be a great way to level, though. :rotate:

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Awesome, my Gamestop has a midnight launch. Now I'm seriously considering taking a day or two off. If I don't, I'll probably be sleepy and distracted at work anyway.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Speaking of midnight launch, 12:01am PST is 3-waytoolatetobeup-am EST. I am consoling myself with the knowledge that there will be a high probability of login server issues that first day, so I might as well wait til later that evening to play.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular

Yeah I'm rolling ranged first but the barb is well designed. I'm jealous of people who have wanted to roll barb all along because he's the tits.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

Yeah I'm rolling ranged first but the barb is well designed. I'm jealous of people who have wanted to roll barb all along because he's the tits.

I rocked barb all day in D2 (and some Amazon, because SO MANY ARROWS), and intentionally didn't touch barb during beta weekend. I am going to go crazy with him at release.

• MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

I rocked barb all day in D2 (and some Amazon, because SO MANY ARROWS), and intentionally didn't touch barb during beta weekend. I am going to go crazy with him at release.

You won't be disappointed
    Unless we have overhyped your expectations to the moon

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    So last night I decided to read up on all the lore and rewatch the Diablo 2 cinematics. Dear god Blizzard is good. Those cinematics were even better than I remembered. Sure the textures are outdated but it doesn't even matter. Everything is so well done. Well written, directed, acted, artistified... Just incredible.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I'm either going Monk or Barbarian (didn't try Barb, but liked Monk) for my first character. Will probably go Witch Doctor for Hardcore though.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really don't know anything about any class other than what I learned playing the monk this last weekend. I spent most of my time in D2 as a barb as well. Thankfully I can continue to keep myself in the dark, since D3 is so forgiving on character setup.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRYWTP!dTe!YccZYZ

All summoning all the time witch doctor build :)

The main idea is that Grave injustice and the exploding enemies from Hex - Unstable Form will work together to reduce the cooldowns on fetish army, toad of hugeness and Hex to near zero. Allowing me to have fetish army all the time, and swarms of huge toads.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited April 2012
    tbloxham wrote: »
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRYWTP!dTe!YccZYZ

All summoning all the time witch doctor build :)

The main idea is that Grave injustice and the exploding enemies from Hex - Unstable Form will work together to reduce the cooldowns on fetish army, toad of hugeness and Hex to near zero. Allowing me to have fetish army all the time, and swarms of huge toads.

That looks like a blank build to me, man. Did you copy the url directly from the page, or did you click on the "link to this build" button?

[edit] Nevermind. Clicked it again, and this time it's all there. Hm.

milk ducks on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I don't really see what the big deal is about a melee class that has an area knockback.... when that class also has multiple teleports. The barb feels very powerful, the monk feels like an agile melee fighter (fast attacks, lots of warping around). One of my favorite moments in the open beta was when I teleported into the middle of a huge group and knocked everyone back. Then I warped to the other side of one of those fat/explodey guys, punched him a few times and kicked him back into the huge group, blowing everything up. It seems like it would work on higher difficulties too if you add in a blind before knocking everyone back.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Oooh, I didn't notice that before. One of the Monk's main attack replacements sounds awfully similar to zeal from D2.

I think I know what class I'm playing at launch now.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Someone who isn't in your timezone?

Edit: Hax.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    The games going to be released the 15th of may. 4 days (not including today) + 15 days of may = 19 days left. Who is keeping track of the topic counter?

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    The games going to be released the 15th of may. 4 days (not including today) + 15 days of may = 19 days left. Who is keeping track of the topic counter?

I think the "counter" is until that Monday (aka midnight release). Midnight is technically the morning of a day, but for most people it's going to be from staying up late Monday, so...yeah.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular

http://pi7.eu/blog/128/Diablo-III-Countdown

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    It should only be 14 days of May since it's a midnight release. Doesn't really make sense to count the 15th as a full day of waiting.

Edit: Although I'll be working that day so won't get to play it until Tuesday evening. :/

forty on
This discussion has been closed.