As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]!

• Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    @spool32: "in my gaming rigs" ? You have more than one?

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Actually motion uses a different pathway, doesn't it?

Regardless, there's definitely a hard limit. Like if you are at 1kfps your brain is gonna be physically incapable of distinguishing any difference because that's on the level of action potential speed.

I wonder what reality's framerate is.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    @spool32: "in my gaming rigs" ? You have more than one?

What's mine is yours and whats your is also yours.

But somehow they're both mine when they break...

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Actually motion uses a different pathway, doesn't it?

Regardless, there's definitely a hard limit. Like if you are at 1kfps your brain is gonna be physically incapable of distinguishing any difference because that's on the level of action potential speed.

I wonder what reality's framerate is.
    Your brain has difficulty distinguishing anything much faster than 8 fps.

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I wonder if the moral of that story was to always laugh at people doing silly things

Or to not laugh at them because they might be nice?

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

enhanced-buzz-24398-1334930687-28.jpg

in case you are dead on the inside

steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I wonder if the moral of that story was to always laugh at people doing silly things

Moral: Happy laughter > sardonic critical laughter

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    _J_ planck time

winky you'd have to do an experiment with a 1k fps display and a 2k one, then get people to pick which one is more real ;)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    h-how else do you drink box wine

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

There's putting your mouth directly on the tap and then there's cupping your hands underneath the tap, letting the wine spill onto your outstretched hands, and drinking that way.

There are really no other options.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Is there a way to implement wind that doesn't involve sticking a little arrow or some other visual element on the HUD?

Environment objects like flags and tumble weeds?

out of a red bull can

steam_sig.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    _J_ planck time

winky you'd have to do an experiment with a 1k fps display and a 2k one, then get people to pick which one is more real ;)

I'm gonna pedant the fuck out of you and note that planck time is not a rate, technically _J_ is looking for one frame per plank time.

edited April 2012
    spool32 wrote: »

Ah, smart.

Note to self: If you scoff you won't quaff

Sparvy on
    Humber beat the Mariners with the most brutally economic display to come out of Chicago since—well, comparing baseball to Milton Friedman and his gang going down to Chile and inspiring Augusto Pinochet’s homicidal racket isn’t funny or apt, but it did spring to mind

heh.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Real cork is lame

Herp derp let's average one bottle per case having TCA problems

ololo the "expectations of the market for the price point"
    You're just jealous of the for-real wines, Mr. Screw Top.

Nah, we do real corks on our expensive one (corny) and synthetic on the rest (yay). Only our baby 187 ml. Single serves are screw topped.

There's putting your mouth directly on the tap and then there's cupping your hands underneath the tap, letting the wine spill onto your outstretched hands, and drinking that way.

There are really no other options.

You pour it onto the ground into a puddle and then put your lips to the puddle.

This is the God-approved method as per the Bible.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    TCA?

fuck gendered marketing
    Quaff is a funny word

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    _J_ planck time

hi5, i was about to say this.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ planck time

I'm gonna pedant the fuck out of you and note that planck time is not a rate, technically _J_ is looking for one frame per plank time.

So, reality's framerate is the number of frames per planck.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Humber beat the Mariners with the most brutally economic display to come out of Chicago since—well, comparing baseball to Milton Friedman and his gang going down to Chile and inspiring Augusto Pinochet’s homicidal racket isn’t funny or apt, but it did spring to mind

heh.

ahahaha

rRwz9.gif

out of a red bull can

This dude

This dudeward

He knows about life

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    ohhhh TCA is trichloroanisole

I use TCA, trichloroacetic acid

If wine has trichloroacetic acid something has gone terribly wrong.

how can you guys not like cute pictures of children or funny times in League of Legends

monsters

*sips red bull*

steam_sig.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I missed all this conversation so if it's been brought up slap me.

The Hobbit is going to be shown at 48fps in Theaters that can support it. Supposed to be cool/weird as fuck

Ludious on
    Elldren wrote: »
    TCA?

TCA is a compound that causes wines to have that moldy-wet-cardboard taste and smell. Sometimes it is super obvious but sometimes it is so subtle that it's not clear that TCA is undermining the flavor and the wine just seems bad in a vague way.

Real corks cleaned with chlorine are a big cause of it.

Synthetic 4 lyfe

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

The Hobbit is going to be shown at 48fps in Theaters that can support it. Supposed to be cool/weird as fuck

People are so used to 24 FPS that when you see something at a higher framerate, your brain tells you something is off.

Seems... unnecessary.

You can cut frames out of 24fps movies, and it's completely unnoticeable.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    but were in surreality here bros

jsut sayin

obF2Wuw.png
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

I wonder if this will have the same effect that HDTV had when we all first saw it.

We grow so accustomed to a certain artificial representation of reality, then we see something marginally more realistic and the effect becomes mind-blowing.

edited April 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    TCA?
    TCA is a compound that causes wines to have that moldy-wet-cardboard taste and smell. Sometimes it is super obvious but sometimes it is so subtle that it's not clear that TCA is undermining the flavor and the wine just seems bad in a vague way.

Synthetic 4 lyfe
    I am surprised that after a zillion years of winemaking it still afflicts as much as a bottle per case. Sounds like you guys need some Six Sigma up ins 8->
    Winemakers are as bad as Republicans when it comes to change. Synthetic really is the way to go (I'm just giving desc shit).

I'm surprised they don't insist it still be made by slave labor. :bz

Thanatos on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    TCA?

Synthetic 4 lyfe

I am surprised that after a zillion years of winemaking it still afflicts as much as a bottle per case. Sounds like you guys need some Six Sigma up ins 8->

rRwz9.gif

Seems... unnecessary.

The difference between 24 and 48 fps is actually very, very noticeable.

Someone had a cool little video comparison that they posted a while ago.

spool32 wrote: »

Ah, smart.

Note to self: If you scoff you won't quaff

Also this is a good saying

Everyone in chat should commit it to memory for the. Next time they are going to scoff their way out of drunken fun

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Seems... unnecessary.

They showed some footage of it recently apparently and people say that motion blur in action sequences becomes non existent.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Fucking Paultards

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ohhhh TCA is trichloroanisole

Heh heh heh ... "anis".

I'm pretty sure the bible says tap-to-mouth is the only moral manner of imbibing box wine. I will literally kill for this belief, as my father did before me, and his father before him

This discussion has been closed.