As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Shining Force III is likely the most complete game on the saturn in terms of graphics, story, and length, especially if you take into account scenarios 2 and 3 (which have been translated into english).

I would love to know where to find these. I have scenario 1 from when I bought it brand new, and always mourned that they never released scenario 2 and 3 here. If there's English versions around, just let me know what to look for! :D
    The best I ever found was translated walkthroughs which would entail pausing the games and reading a script every time there was any dialog.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I had a CIB copy of Mario RPG once upon a time. Both the box, manual, and inserts were all prestine. I don't remember where I picked it up, but it was when the SNES was still alive and pretty cheap. I kept it well for many many years.

Then hurricane Rita hit houston. The box is decomposed off in some dump along with the manual and inserts. I still have the game, it still works, but the value has plumetted. Every time I see an overpriced ebay auction for Mario RPG complete a little piece of me breaks.

I lost all my SNES, gameboy, game gear, N64, and virtual boy games in that flood. All my other boxes survived, but damn it eats me up. I had so many hard to find games, all complete. I had both versions of Clayfighters on the N64, for example, both with boxes and manuals. Apparently a complete sculptor's cut today commands $100+ prices because it wasn't sold in stores. I had stuff like Zelda: LTTP and Super Metroid boxed too... Wario Land VB. All gone. I have all the games still, because I didn't keep them in their boxes, but I lost my N64 rumble pack with my Starfox 64 box, and seaman has gone missing... I'm starting to think it was also among those games. I had a Leathal Enforcers Sega CD longbox which is also gone.

I wish I still had all those boxes. On the upside, I just ordered 35 loose Genesis boxes so I can complete the unboxed games I have.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I had a CIB copy of Mario RPG once upon a time. Both the box, manual, and inserts were all prestine. I don't remember where I picked it up, but it was when the SNES was still alive and pretty cheap. I kept it well for many many years.

Then hurricane Rita hit houston. The box is decomposed off in some dump along with the manual and inserts. I still have the game, it still works, but the value has plumetted. Every time I see an overpriced ebay auction for Mario RPG complete a little piece of me breaks.

I lost all my SNES, gameboy, game gear, N64, and virtual boy games in that flood. All my other boxes survived, but damn it eats me up. I had so many hard to find games, all complete. I had both versions of Clayfighters on the N64, for example, both with boxes and manuals. Apparently a complete sculptor's cut today commands $100+ prices because it wasn't sold in stores. I had stuff like Zelda: LTTP and Super Metroid boxed too... Wario Land VB. All gone. I have all the games still, because I didn't keep them in their boxes, but I lost my N64 rumble pack with my Starfox 64 box, and seaman has gone missing... I'm starting to think it was also among those games. I had a Leathal Enforcers Sega CD longbox which is also gone.

I wish I still had all those boxes. On the upside, I just ordered 35 loose Genesis boxes so I can complete the unboxed games I have.

ouch, man.

That's almost physically painful to me.

Er, I should say I lost all my game BOXES, not the games. I still have those games, outside of Seaman, but the boxes and manuals are what is worth more today than the cart.

edited April 2012

Shining Force III is likely the most complete game on the saturn in terms of graphics, story, and length, especially if you take into account scenarios 2 and 3 (which have been translated into english).

I would love to know where to find these. I have scenario 1 from when I bought it brand new, and always mourned that they never released scenario 2 and 3 here. If there's English versions around, just let me know what to look for! :D
    The best I ever found was translated walkthroughs which would entail pausing the games and reading a script every time there was any dialog.

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/

translation patches for your shining force 3. You just dump the game from the CD, apply the patch, and then reburn it. You can play the translated version on your saturn either using the swap trick, which I don't recommend (it WILL destroy your cd drive over time), or by modding your saturn. It's well worth it to play these on real hardware, and since scenarios 2 and 3 weren't released in english, but they were enmass in japan, you can pick them up for like $20 each.

I played Policenauts on a modded PSX that way. I dumped my own CD, applied the patch, and played it on the real console, with a real mouse. There is joy in experiencing these games on the hardware they were meant for - a real deal system, with a big old CRT TV with copious amounts of NTSC color bleed to complete dithering and faked transparency effects.

EDIT: Its worth noting that they're also retranslating scenario 1, because the english translation changed stuff around to make the story seem more self-contained (since sc2 and sc3 weren't coming).

TheSonicRetard on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Er, I should say I lost all my game BOXES, not the games. I still have those games, outside of Seaman, but the boxes and manuals are what is worth more today than the cart.

Less painful, I suppose, but I would dearly love to have all my old boxes as well. Didn't suffer any catastrophes, but I was young and stupid and so on, and threw them out or neglected them.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Does the save data from the US version of Shining Force 3 part 1 carry over to the Japanese sequels?

Does the save data from the US version of Shining Force 3 part 1 carry over to the Japanese sequels?

The translated patched versions can, yes. The original releases, no.

Sweet, bookmarked, gotta find me some japanese versions of scenario 2 and 3 then, still have my orig scenario 1, and my Saturn is modded so no issues playing it. I still bust it out to play panzer dragoon saga now and again, as well as dragon force. (all bought when they were new, thankfully I never had to pay the hundreds it would cost to get them afterwards).

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    On the plus side, Sonic, you have a much more interesting story than the rest of us who can only complain that our moms threw out our Nintendo boxes.

1208768734831.jpg
    Sweet, bookmarked, gotta find me some japanese versions of scenario 2 and 3 then, still have my orig scenario 1, and my Saturn is modded so no issues playing it. I still bust it out to play panzer dragoon saga now and again, as well as dragon force. (all bought when they were new, thankfully I never had to pay the hundreds it would cost to get them afterwards).

You realize that you can, with luck, sell all that you have for about $1000? The thrill of saturn collecting.

I got PDS a few weeks ago for a very low price and played through it, which has got me in a sega saturn fever lately. I bought myself some twin sticks, and I've been going through and replaying some games. I had already beaten SF3 when I found out the translations were playable, so I began a full game playthrough again. I'm halfway through scenario 2. The entire story overarching is great, and much grander than scenario 1 by itself. The graphics also improve between sc 1 and sc 2 to a noticeable degree, where I'd say sc 2 is one of the very best looking saturn games, with only maybe PDS doing more special effects. Maybe. I already through SF3 was incredible the first time I played it, but playing the other 2 scenarios puts it on a level well beyond other SRPGs like FFT or Fire Emblem. Probably the best SRPG I've ever played.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The only thing right about the above post is how much you could get for that kit and that SF 3 part 2 looks a hell of a lot better.

Shining Farce has always been on the weaker end of the SRPG landscape. Furries seem to like it a lot though...

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Yes, of the 3 points I made, I was only right about 2 of them, and the one that I was wrong about was that I enjoyed SF3. You are correct.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    On the plus side, Sonic, you have a much more interesting story than the rest of us who can only complain that our moms threw out our Nintendo boxes.

Ha. Or because she sold our old systems at a garage sale.

In her defense though once I got the PS1, I really wasn't playing the SNES. Man, I really wish that my kid self knew what my adult self knows now.

Steam: offday
    I'm that guy who goes around buying kid's systems when they leave them at home sophmore year at college.

2004 was a great year for dreamcasts. I got about thirty of them.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Every time I get giddy about how much my Saturn stuff might be worth, I dig out the receipt from April of '95 where I spent $600 on the console, a second controller and Panzer Dragoon. It does put things in perspective. :)

anoffday wrote: »

Ha. Or because she sold our old systems at a garage sale.

In her defense though once I got the PS1, I really wasn't playing the SNES. Man, I really wish that my kid self knew what my adult self knows now.

My mom was a huge neat freak, and she LOVED that I kept all the boxes for all my shit, as I could organize them in my closet and it'd still look nice. She'd get mad if I lost boxes.

Discounting the boxes I lost in that one storm, maybe 95% of my entire collection is boxed, either via reproduction boxes I've made, or original cases, with original cases making up the vast, vast majority of my purchases.

Outside of Genesis games, which you can acquire boxes for easily, I go out of my way to buy boxed copies of games today. If they came in just a standard jewel case, I can let it slide because I could print out a new jewel case, but for stuff like Sega CD games or 3DO games, because of their unique boxes, I only buy those boxed. My entire Amiga collection, from floppy to CDs, is all boxed. Having a full boxed copy of a game with manual is a big deal to me, as I enjoy the aesthetics of arranging my game room.

Today, most of my SNES, NES, and N64 games are in these kinds of cases:

MoASE.jpg
    2MuK6.jpg
    2fYP5.jpg

They're double-wide DVD cases with the extra disc partitions removed from the middle, with a slot of foam block cut to hold the carts in place.

One of my friends had an impressive Saturn collection and was absolutely taken aback by the 40 dollars and change funco offered him for it.

He eventually gave it to me for free. I did eventually give him an XBOX years later.

One of my friends had an impressive Saturn collection and was absolutely taken aback by the 40 dollars and change funco offered him for it.

He eventually gave it to me for free. I did eventually give him an XBOX years later.

Can you remember any of the games he had? Saturn collecting is actually a pretty sound investment as, for the past several years now, the average price of saturn games has been going up and up. The saturn still has a lot of lure to it because, while it is fairly obscure in that only 2 million people bought one, it was from Sega, who was still widely known and still produced quality games. People have grown to realize that even the most common saturn games only received prints of like 500,000 copies, meaning virtually any game is rare to a degree. Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 only had less than 30,000 copies printed world-wide. $40 today would get you only 1-2 games depending on quality.

• mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    When I lived in the city I visited VideoGamesNewYork a lot. They're stuffed wall to wall with retro hardware and software.

World Series Baseball, Christmas Nights (but no regular Nights) Daytona, a bunch of the Capcom imports and a few others. Got most of them in a box in the basement.

edited April 2012
    The only SNES boxes I have in good condition are Battleship (based off the hit movie) and a bootleg Street Fighter 2: Turbo. Feels bad, man.

edit: not true, I have Mario Allstars, as well, apparantly.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    Can I see your bootleg copy of SF2T?

edited April 2012
    Its actually Super Street Fighter II, and I could post a pic tomorrow, yeah.

It looks pretty much like any other game though. Just 50% of the in-game text is Japanese and Vega/Bison/Balrog have their names swapped around.

Also, it has a retailer sticker on the front and back, so I imagine it'd be pretty worthless. So its not really in as good condition as I thought. Battleship is, though!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    I'm sure I could get quite a bit for my saturn collection, but I'd never sell it. :D
    Really the only games I need to get for that + my sega CD are the limited edition nightstalkers game that came out in japan, the SF3 scenario 2 and 3 now that I know there's a patch, and to replace my copy of Dark Wizard someone stole from me ages ago (loved that game!).
    Everything else I want I have for both consoles. Aside from my NES (which was stolen with all it's games) everything else I kept aside from things I didn't enjoy. It might be cool to have some high value collectors games, but if I didn't enjoy them I wasn't holding onto them. So I pretty much only have a few high value games, and those I have because they were really good games that just happen to have wound up being rare.

I do have to say my copy of flashback on the sega CD took forever to track down.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The only SNES boxes I have in good condition are Battleship (based off the hit movie) and a bootleg Street Fighter 2: Turbo. Feels bad, man.

edit: not true, I have Mario Allstars, as well, apparantly.

I have a boxed SNES Battleship too. Not sure if it's based off the movie. Also have Ballz (teehee), Pagemaster, and Star Fox. Got them all from a guy on craigslist for 20 bucks.

I have a sealed copy of F Zero too that I got for basically nothing, but apparently that's not a big deal because for some reason they're freaking everywhere. I heard somewhere recently they found a huge warehouse full of sealed F Zeros. Although I'm pretty sure that's like the universal reason why any given collectible isn't rare. Anyway, I have no idea if that's true or not, but I do know that there are way too many of them. Most of my NES and SNES collection is loose, and since I'm more into playing them than collecting them that's ok with me.

@TheSonicRetard Also, I'm sure my mom would have kept the boxes too if I wasn't such a stupid, stupid kid who ripped through the boxes in excitement to get to the game.

anoffday on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @TheSonicRetard

Can you post a picture of the inside of one of those double wide dvd cases that have been cut for nes? I use them myself and just want to see how yours look.

Also what tool(s) do you use for cutting? While everyone raves about a dremel for something like this I find really sharp side cutters or shears to work better.

I recased all my snes stuff and new nes pickups that have covers. Next round of double wide dvd cases will cover my other nes stuff and atari which I just started collecting. Going to order a few hundred and "future proof" as it were.

On the actual playing of games front I am working on Gargoyles Quest 2 for nes and Beyond Oasis for genesis.

My turbo-duo is currently being region modded so once that comes back I will be getting my blazing lazers and ninja spirit on.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    I love how this is turning into a retro game talk thread. I usually go to Nintendo Age to talk about retro stuff with fellow nerds, but I think PA needs a retro game thread like this.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Looking at the pricing websites makes me a sad panda.

Not too long ago I had a huge TurboGrafx collection, including the TurboXpress w/Tuner and tons and tons of Hucards.

I traded a guy a hacked O-Xbox for all of it.

Later, I was in between jobs and desperate for cash and sold the TG stuff. It would cost me a fortune to reacquire all that stuff now.

Damn real life.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Goodwill. Got my NES, SNES, 4 SNES Controllers, 2 NES, Controllers, NES Advantage, NES Gun, and Mario Bros/Duck Hunt for $60.

NES games were $2. I got Legend of Zelda, LoZ Adventure of Link, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Wizards and Warriors, SMB2 and 3.

SNES Games were $3. Lucked up on SF2, SSF2T, Super Double Dragon, Zombies ate My Neighbors, and Killer Instinct.

Should have grabbed the Dreamcast when it was there, but I had spent way to much already.

How long ago did you get this stuff at those prices? Goodwill prices game stuff according to ebay now, meaning they're usually slightly overpriced.

Summer of last year.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Madpanda wrote: »
    @TheSonicRetard

Can you post a picture of the inside of one of those double wide dvd cases that have been cut for nes? I use them myself and just want to see how yours look.

Also what tool(s) do you use for cutting? While everyone raves about a dremel for something like this I find really sharp side cutters or shears to work better.

I recased all my snes stuff and new nes pickups that have covers. Next round of double wide dvd cases will cover my other nes stuff and atari which I just started collecting. Going to order a few hundred and "future proof" as it were.

On the actual playing of games front I am working on Gargoyles Quest 2 for nes and Beyond Oasis for genesis.

My turbo-duo is currently being region modded so once that comes back I will be getting my blazing lazers and ninja spirit on.

I'm on the go right now, but i'll repost some pics in an hour or so. I dont need to use cutting tools the way i do it.

Funny enough, i'm playing demon's crest and legend of oasis right now. Both great series.

@Madpanda

I thought I had my own pics online, but I don't. However, here is a pic from the guy who gave me the idea, with an SNES game:

9d277cbf8a33b828f6dd41416e1b8cc0961421aa89bef1814c1b4684cdcccdd26g.jpg

edited April 2012
    Madpanda wrote: »
    @TheSonicRetard

I'm on the go right now, but i'll repost some pics in an hour or so. I dont need to use cutting tools the way i do it.

Funny enough, i'm playing demon's crest and legend of oasis right now. Both great series.

I've been looking for a copy of Demon's Crest for awhile. Every one I've found though has been kind of expensive. I might just have to bite the bullet, the way I did with Chrono Trigger, and just buy it. It's probably not getting any cheaper. Actually my wife bought Chrono Trigger for me last Christmas, but I know she paid around 60 bucks for it.

anoffday on
    edited April 2012
    Anyway, here's the Street Fighter game. Doesn't look like anything special. Despite what the sticker says, it was new. Manual is fully in English, but the cart is not. Bought it at a local (now defunct) retail store with a fairly large electronics section at some point in the late 90s.

IMG_4515.jpg
    anoffday wrote: »
    I might just have to bite the bullet, the way I did with Chrono Trigger, and just buy it. It's probably not getting any cheaper. Actually my wife bought Chrono Trigger for me last Christmas, but I know she paid around 60 bucks for it.

Chrono Trigger was 60 bucks when I bought in 1998-1999. I imagine its always been that much, unless you get it from an unsuspecting mother at a garage sale.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    Just a heads up, the next batch of Pier Solar is expected to ship on May 5th. The next batch is already sold out, but you can preorder for the following batch, which is expected to be the final batch printed. Watermelon sells the game for $50, which is an absolute steal. It's a great game, and it really has retained its value since launch.

They also sell the OST, which is 4 discs long, for $25. I normally don't buy OSTs, but the 4th disc in the OST is an official pressed version of the Sega CD enhancement disc, so if you weren't in the initial print of the game, you can still get an official, enhanced disc for just $25. You don't need to buy the disc - it's available freely on their site as an ISO that you can burn yourself, along with a lightscribe label for you to put on your disc, but the official pressed disc looks nicer. The OST isn't sold out, and you can still preorder for the first printing, which is also shipping out may 5th.

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/pier-solar_4/pier-solar_1/

Their website. I can't recommend this game enough. If you love retro gaming, and RPGs, this is made for you. It's one of the best 16-bit RPGs I've ever played. It's also technically the most impressive Genesis title ever produced, pulling off way more special effects than any other genesis game ever. It has a laundry list of graphical features which, for decades, SNES-fans held on a pedestal. In addition to the usual stuff like h-blank palette swaps, and producing more than 61 colors on screen at a time, and great use of dithering, line-scroll distortion, and highlight and shadow mode, the two biggest graphical tricks this game pulls off, which look stunning on the genesis, is true transparency and mode 7. This is the only genesis game ever to pull off real-deal, true transparency. As in, not relying on a meshed dithered pattern, not relying on flickering sprites... those faux-effects also appear in the game. But at moments, there is REAL transparency, long thought impossible on the Genesis, and when it's used it looks great.

Mode 7 is, of course, the biggest wow factor. Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG4V_kLL0NI

Steve Snake, the author of gens, is a part of the team which made this game - it's an all-star team of the best homebrew coders for the Genesis, and he claims that the game is so coded to the metal of the genesis, that every single genesis emulator out there is too inaccurate to emulate the game correctly, and claims it'll never be emulated. Considering he's the author of the best genesis emulator out there, I believe him. Everyone should experience this game.

Chrono Trigger was 60 bucks when I bought in 1998-1999. I imagine its always been that much, unless you get it from an unsuspecting mother at a garage sale.

I have ads from EGM and Gamepro which show that CT launched at $79.99. CT was already a large game, and the size of the game directly inflated the price of the game. Couple that with the battery backup, not flash ram, and it was quite expensive at launch.

32 mbit (4 megabyte) games were almost always $100+ when they came out. Phantasy Star IV and FF3 both launched at $99.99. Virtua Racing was $119.99 when it launched due to the SVP chip inside.

Today, the largest Genesis game is Pier Solar, which is 64 mbits big. Prior to that, it was Super Street Fighter II, which was 40 mbits. The Genesis can only address out 32 mbits of ROM space, so games like those two get around the space limit by using bankswitching. Pier Solar uses bankswitching extensively due to the number of frames of animation it has and the different, unique tiles each map has.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I understand wanting to collect older systems for the games that were never ported elsewhere, but I've never understood the appeal to buying games for their original console when perfectly fine digital copies on more recent consoles exist. Like for example, you could spend $50+ on a used SNES cartridge of Chrono Trigger or you could just spend $8 and download the Wii VC version and not only did you spend a lot less but you also have the advantage of running it on a more modern system with a nicer controller and better audio/visual cables (as well as not having to worry about whether or not the cartridge or its save is going to give out).

RainbowDespair on
    I understand wanting to collect older systems for the games that were never ported elsewhere, but I've never understood the appeal to buying games for their original console when perfectly fine digital copies on more recent consoles exist. Like for example, you could spend $50+ on a used SNES cartridge of Chrono Trigger or you could just spend $8 and download the Wii VC version and not only did you spend a lot less but you also have the advantage of running it on a more modern system with a nicer controller and better audio/visual cables (as well as not having to worry about whether or not the cartridge or its save is going to give out).

There are a few cases where the re releases are either poor ports (or based on poor ports) or they simply changed the game so significantly that everyone may not enjoy all aspects of it.

And of course, for some it's just the collectors value of it. I love some of the newer releases of older games, Sonic CD (which I have the original of still as well), is a perfect example of a release done with great care, and a nice coat of awesome on it too. Not all games are so lucky to get that level of attention.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of any retro game shops in the Atlanta area? I'll be going there next month and I might want to check it out.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2012
    These games weren't made with better audio/visual cables in mind. Even stuff like s-video breaks dithering effects in older games. These games were made with CRT-color bleed in mind. And there are clock differences, which are noticeable in games like Mario Bros. I also prefer my SNES controller to either the wiimote, GCN controller, or classic controller. No batteries to deal with, either.

If you don't understand the appeal of collecting, why even post? All you're going to do is drag the conversation down into the inevitable "olol ur dum for buying a game available on DD for much cheaper" bullshit that permeates these sorts of threads. There is value in collectables, and many times, the net worth of a collectable is more than the sum of the parts. Posts asking why you don't just buy the software electronically elsewhere are akin to people scoffing at a baseball card being worth thousands of dollars because it's "just a piece of cardboard."

EDIT: And with the Wii, you have to worry about your GPU dying. Which occurs more than you think. And if your saves are such a concern with regards to SNES and Genesis games:

retrode_2-580x449.jpg

Back your saves up.

TheSonicRetard on