As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    black is for undercoat and the darkest of shadows (or in my case, all shadows!). Blue-black is for things you want to make look like they-are-the-color black.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    So I've emailed pax about being the 40k tourney organizer this year. I have no idea who I'm even supposed to talk to about that but hopefully I can get some sort of confirmation on if it will happen and when.

Then I will begin testing tourney scenarios with NAX most likely and we will make it a lower points value so we can get more games in and not have to bother with bringing HUGE armies.

WHAT U GUYS THINK?

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My new workplace blocks forums.

Fuck,

• Options
    So it's entirely likely that 6th edition will be out before PAX. That will make things... interesting.

signature.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Cross your fingers that they don't fuck up the 6th ed, eh?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm once again in America. Project Deathwatch will be commencing shortly. Just missing one order of bitz from some communists in Australia.

I have a feeling having committed to your project is going to be the thing that gets me back into painting. If I have to paint something, I will. But when it's just my stuff, the urge dies.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Almost tempted to do a DIY chapter in coal black.

Just do Iron Hands

• Options
    edited April 2012
    altmann wrote: »
    So it's entirely likely that 6th edition will be out before PAX. That will make things... interesting.

When is PAX? No one's obliged to use the new rules until they've been out for a month, so.

Actually now that GW has abandoned tournament support I suppose it doesn't matter what used to be the norm, so nevermind.

SJ on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    6th edition is Epic, but you have to use 28mm scale minis.
    Now requires and entire room's floor as the board.
    GW recommends buying new Marblecast(tm) floor tiles - $200/sq ft.
    No, you can't be a Titan.
    Unless you buy GW's new Titan costume - $560.

I kid, but I genuinely fear for the day when Apocalypse becomes the basic rules because they know they can sell all that bullshit.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Dr_Keenbean I love Apocalypse and ridiculous models and accumulating them so much that dead cats are hidden underneath all my models

Don't insult my hobby bro

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    never forget

terrible hobby

terrible people

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    mugginns wrote: »
    Dr_Keenbean I love Apocalypse and ridiculous models and accumulating them so much that dead cats are hidden underneath all my models

That's your jam and I respect that. I'm not suggesting apoc be done away with, I'm just concerned that basic 40k could be moving in that direction.

• Options

That's your jam and I respect that. I'm not suggesting apoc be done away with, I'm just concerned that basic 40k could be moving in that direction.

Lol I know. Look at Fantasy, every army is getting huge models. Hell, I have 6 of the new Tyranid MCs at home. Transporting them is a bitch but that is what I want to use in 2000 points.

I understand your point of view for sure, and I don't want it to get huge and make it impossible to manage. I do hope they include optional rules for flyers and gargantuan creatures and all that because supplements confuse people.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So I've emailed pax about being the 40k tourney organizer this year. I have no idea who I'm even supposed to talk to about that but hopefully I can get some sort of confirmation on if it will happen and when.

Then I will begin testing tourney scenarios with NAX most likely and we will make it a lower points value so we can get more games in and not have to bother with bringing HUGE armies.

WHAT U GUYS THINK?

Run a 1000-1500 point tournament. That way the games go fast so we're not all stuck playing for an entire day of the expo. You could also do 2v2 missions at that level without breaking things.

(Plus, at 1k there is a distinct possibility I could bring Kroot...depending on a number of factors.)

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

WHAT U GUYS THINK?

Run a 1000-1500 point tournament. That way the games go fast so we're not all stuck playing for an entire day of the expo. You could also do 2v2 missions at that level without breaking things.

(Plus, at 1k there is a distinct possibility I could bring Kroot...depending on a number of factors.)

Or do games using those skirmish rules? 2v2 and each player gets 650 or whatever it was (I forget). If it was that, I might even buy models enough just so I could play.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    ...Lol I know. Look at Fantasy, every army is getting huge models. Hell, I have 6 of the new Tyranid MCs at home. Transporting them is a bitch but that is what I want to use in 2000 points.

Only six?! Transporting the huge beasties is a problem. As is storage....

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

WHAT U GUYS THINK?

Or do games using those skirmish rules? 2v2 and each player gets 650 or whatever it was (I forget). If it was that, I might even buy models enough just so I could play.

Hell, do a Kill Team tournament. That could be really god damn fun if some time is taken to build up scenarios and the players take some time to make neat little kill teams before coming to PAX.

• Options
    I know 4th had Combat Patrol which was like 400pts and didn't bother with the force organization chart.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...Lol I know. Look at Fantasy, every army is getting huge models. Hell, I have 6 of the new Tyranid MCs at home. Transporting them is a bitch but that is what I want to use in 2000 points.

Only six?! Transporting the huge beasties is a problem. As is storage....

Man, I need a new case for my five Raiders. Probably getting a KR case that can take up to eight.

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    But then you'll need to buy 3 more Raiders!

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    skarsol wrote: »
    But then you'll need to buy 3 more Raiders!

Yes, my 1500 point list already has seven. <_< (four Raiders, three Ravagers)

• Options

WHAT U GUYS THINK?

Yeah I would recommend a team tournament. Team tournaments are a lot more fun and encourage more interaction.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that team tourneys are fun however:

You need almost 2x the number of players just to make the same amount of teams.

BUT... you could do something like... 650 per player per team and they would still be small games...

signature.png
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    A fellow Marine Player informs me that the Attack Bike is the Emperor-Send. A Toughness-Five, Two-Wound Space Marine which can move 12", armed with Twin-Linked Bolters, the Emperor's best weapon (Multi-Melta), and can even Assault after firing if needed.

If the above is all that (and a box of chocolates), why aren't they used more? I hardly ever see any. Are they only good on paper??

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    Because they're FUCKING expensive to buy? I mean, they are good, I don't think anyone really ever doubted that. But in order to use them, you must play Vanilla marines first which... well, broadsides are fucking awesome, but I'm not gonna play tau just to take one unit (but I feel between assault terminators and attack bikes, vanilla marines have some good stuff goin on).

signature.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know this isn't 40k related, but there were people talking about epic, and there's a video on Beasts of War about a new game that seems to be the 10 mm scale coming out, that looks rather interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO_UIb3gdw&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    So in terms of having a tournament in Seattle at PAX...

Terrain? I can't field terrain enough for a damn tournament by myself, much less bring it from Florida to PAX.

How do you guys think we might solve that?

signature.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wonder since Space hulk sold out and Dreadfleet did not if Gw is going to do another relaunch of a previous game

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Terrain? I can't field terrain enough for a damn tournament by myself, much less bring it from Florida to PAX.

Good old books and this cup is a grove of trees

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I know this isn't 40k related, but there were people talking about epic, and there's a video on Beasts of War about a new game that seems to be the 10 mm scale coming out, that looks rather interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO_UIb3gdw&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

This looks rad as fuck.

SJ on
  • Options
    I agree that team tourneys are fun however:

You need almost 2x the number of players just to make the same amount of teams.

Yeah it is just a smaller tourney, less terrain, less tables needed.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    A fellow Marine Player informs me that the Attack Bike is the Emperor-Send. A Toughness-Five, Two-Wound Space Marine which can move 12", armed with Twin-Linked Bolters, the Emperor's best weapon (Multi-Melta), and can even Assault after firing if needed.

If the above is all that (and a box of chocolates), why aren't they used more? I hardly ever see any. Are they only good on paper??

Because it's really a toss-up between the Attack Bike and the Landspeeder. The Landspeeder is more immune to small-arms fire, and has a better chance of living through a krak missile hit (not much, but it's there), plus it can carry slightly more firepower (MM/HB vs MM/twin-linked bolter), and has the inherent advantages of being a fast skimmer vehicle vs bike mounted infantry. It's rare that a unit of ABs will want to assault after firing, but I suppose there are niche cases.

Having said that, I do use both, though not usually in the same army. Individual multimelta ABs are great one-shot missiles if nothing else, especially when put with Vulkan who twin-links their main weapon. And if I'm fielding an actual bike squad, there's no reason not to add an AB to it.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

See if there are local stores in the area that might help sponsor the tournament? Usually these stores have terrain they'll donate, and sometimes prizes.

• Options
    Definitely look for support from local game stores, any good ones will jump at the opportunity.

• Options
    I'm reading through the 2nd edition rule book on a whim.

I miss it. :(

But at the same time I'm not sure if I do.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Try Card Kingdom and Fire & Sword in Seattle. They coo'.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I'm reading through the 2nd edition rule book on a whim.

I miss it. :(

But at the same time I'm not sure if I do.

Second ed. was great if you wanted a squad of marines to kill an aspect warrior troupe or two, and those three units were all you had on the table, but it got bogged down as fuck when you started adding more stuff. Especially persistent effect stuff like smoke grenades and more than a few psychic powers, or vehicles with three or four sets of armour values each, with corresponding damage tables and unique effects.
    Oh and of course, the Emperor's greatest secret weapon; nuclear suicide bikes.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote: »
    Try Card Kingdom and Fire & Sword in Seattle. They coo'.

Greenlake Games, Games and Gizmos were also both at PAX last year. There are plenty of local places that are going to be there anyway, so they might be willing to help out.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Is Altmann going to be in Seattle for Pax? Because I'm seriously considering coming down for a Wolf-Down.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    It's not just vanilla marines that can take attack bike squads. They are the best AT option for the points as far as Blood Angels go, imo... but they are easily targeted and taken out by the big guns that will target them because of the threat they represent.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
This discussion has been closed.