As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D'aww [chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited April 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Kids aren't cute.

This is bullshit, I was lied to.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    THANKS FOR SPOILING THE MOVIE, JACOB

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Kids aren't cute.

You know what else is not cute? Cats.

sig.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    children are stupid

cats are stupid

dogs.

obF2Wuw.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Kids aren't cute.

You know what else is not cute? My face. My hideous, cat-hating face.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    THANKS FOR SPOILING THE MOVIE, JACOB

Wait, there's an Avengers movie coming out? Spoiler that shit, bitch!

sig.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    kids are so lame

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    children are stupid

cats are stupid

dogs.

Dogs are second worst next to geese which are the worst form of life that doesn't have a political career.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    From the other topic:
    Pony wrote: »
    100% of the burning wheel fans I've encountered online have been insufferable dinguses about the game

less about Burning Wheel itself but more about how "narrativist" games are superior and fuck "rollplayers", and shit

now, I'm sure there's fans of Burning Wheel that aren't assholes

but much like the statement "I only hate militant vegetarians", if a person isn't a dipshit about being a fan of Burning Wheel it's unlikely I'll even know they like the game

when it gets brought up as a positive example of game design it's always by people being fuckheads

that's been my experience

I hope I'm not coming off like that. Personally, I like both styles of games (deep story vs. dungeon crawl). I just think certain systems lend themselves better to one kind than the other.

I just finished an 8-month long Pathfinder campaign. The last two sessions each featured 1-hour blocks of doing math because there were so many bonuses and shit to account for. Some were situation so we had to create different bonuses depending on the situation. Then my party killed an Ancient Black Dragon five levels above them in five rounds. That's thirty seconds.

Honestly, I'm not sure D&D is even the best system for dungeon crawls because of how long combat lasts. A single encounter is going to take an hour. That's boring, in my experience. I'm holding out some hope for DCC RPG due to how stripped down it is.

I just started running BW. The differences are enormous. First of all, the pulp feel is gone. My players made the closest approximation to a person I've seen in game. One is a barkeep, another a bastard lord, and the third, an elf champion participating in the local tournament. It was nearly six hours of continuous roleplaying, which is something I've never had happen in a game. I'm really out of my element as I can't plan for this shit. I have a very loose framework (some names, some stats, a few ideas in the background) that I throw at my players when it makes sense.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:

When I was a kid it was easy to spot the special effects in the toy commercials. I would get excited but I was also "No way will my He-Man toy shoot real energy blasts like that!"

If I was a kid watching that today? I'd be pissed when my iron man outfit doesn't fly. Because it looks so real on the commercial!

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hating kids is next to kicking animals on my Suspicion List

Remember the Mini Marvels? DC brings its own version of d'awww.

http://littleleaguecomic.tumblr.com/

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    ugh anxiety.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think DnD has terribly designed combat. Combat should be fast and dynamic and engaging, not a plodding interminable arithmetic test.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    League of Legends could do without the leveling system. Level 30 - what is that? Why are they holding out? Give me my damn points and let me ace some noobs.
    Money.

IP-only runes with IP boosts.
    XP boosts.

There's maybe an argument to be made that without level 30 stat boosts at level 1, killing players is slower and so new players have more time to learn before getting gibbed, but mostly, it's just the need for a successful business strategy.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    desc wrote: »

Suspicion List Of Awesome People You Want To Buy A Beer?

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    There's a Gears of War board game?

Yes, co-operative little modular dungeon. Each turn you go but you also draw a bad guy card and do whatever it says with the baddies.

Like Doom meets those co op D & D ones kinda.

That's a real thing too:
    1239407444952.jpg

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think DnD has terribly designed combat. Combat should be fast and dynamic and engaging, not a plodding interminable arithmetic test.

It's true. At low levels it's not so noticeable, but pretty much anything over 10th level is the worst. Overall, the system suffers from the fact that very few of the rolls feel exciting to me. This, coupled with the fact that many DMs make you roll dice unnecessarily makes for a very frustrating experience in my opinion.

No, Paws.

No.

*looks at paws for a moment before writing something on a list*

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    d6Piw.png

yGxvf.png

What you're describing is LARPing. You want to LARP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cats are cute.

They just come packaged with narcissistic personality disorder, sociopathy and hairballs.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Remember vanguard: when in a bind, someone suddenly has an evil twin.

It never fails.

Terrier

Terrier get off the internet

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Board game night last night was awesome. Got in a round of one of my favorite games: 1870

pic120350_md.jpg

It was a 3 player game (pretty small) and all of us have played it before (as well as many other 18xx games). For a game as deep and complex as this one, an experts-only game is a really different experience than when you have new people in.

Still took about 5 and a half hours to finish though. The absurd length really is the one downside of these games. These days, I don't really have the patience to sit through anything longer than 2 hours unless it is really top notch. Pretty much 18xx and the old Avalon Hill version of Dune are the only marathon games I'll tolerate.

1870 in particular is good times because the board layout and companies are so well balanced. (note: in this game you use your starting money to start up railroad companies from which you get income and fiddle with their stock value, you can end up owning several companies simultaneously during the game) All the other 18xx games (especially the one in Canada, 1856) have some companies that start out in way better positions than others. If you aren't aware of the imbalances and play accordingly (eg: gang up on the guy who got the good one) the game tends to not work well. 1870 on the other hand has 10 companies and you could win the game with any of those 10 being your starting position. All of them have caveats (eg: only start the Misouri Pacific if you also have the Mississippi Bridge company) but every one is a valid option given some not-impossible set ot circumstances. This means people don't get screwed at the start by picking a "trap" option (though you can easily screw yourself by making bad plays in other ways of course).

In the game last night about halfway through I was ready to surrender and call the game there (remember: we were already a good 3 hours in at that point ) as it seemed one player was pretty much unassailably far ahead. But with some tricky maneuvering the other player and I managed to cause some real chaos and shake things up and I managed to come out on top of the resulting mess. By the end I ended up winning by a pretty good margin (I had just over 10K at the end and 2nd place had about 8.7K).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited April 2012
    my mother once was very cross with me because I told her i thought my nephew was kind of acting like a jerk

he was... i believe almost two at the time

Elendil on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Kids aren't cute.

You know what else is not cute? Cats.

Cats and kids are both awful.

Kids are worse than cats.

But cats are still p bad.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Pony I don't want to speak for Thom, but I don't think anyone realized how frustrated you were feeling. Let's just let it be for now.

rRwz9.gif
    No, Paws.

No.

*looks at paws for a moment before writing something on a list*

*Squeels in excitement*

TehSloth wrote: »
    There's a Gears of War board game?

Yes, co-operative little modular dungeon. Each turn you go but you also draw a bad guy card and do whatever it says with the baddies.

Like Doom meets those co op D & D ones kinda.

That's a real thing too:
    1239407444952.jpg

Yeah. It's just like Doom but with an auto-co op monster thing like Raveloft, albeit more card-based for enemy actions (for the better IMO -- I found Raveloft pretty flat).

Doom is good times. I need to come back to it soon.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    poo
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Cats are cute.

They just come packaged with narcissistic personality disorder, sociopathy and hairballs.

Replace hair balls with vomit and you have little kids described too!

i was just saying

getting angry that you're not receiving presents on someone else's birthday, making a scene in a crowded restaurant, then vomiting all over the place is the kind of thing a drunk asshole would do

that he's only two doesn't excuse it

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i was just saying

getting angry that you're not receiving presents on someone else's birthday, making a scene in a crowded restaurant, then vomiting all over the place is the kind of thing a drunk asshole would do

Was he drunk? That would be awesome.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have made vastly more food than I intended to.

I blame the supermarket for sending me one sweet potato that was the size of a melon, instead of a bag of normal-sized sweet potatoes.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Terrier

Terrier get off the internet
    JCqJa.jpg

yGxvf.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Childhood is an unfortunate hurdle on the way to adulthood.

Someday people will emerge from vats fully physically mature, and the world will be much better off for it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Elendil wrote: »
    i was just saying

Louis CK youtube clip in 3,2,1...

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    Egypt. What are you doing.
    Egypt’s Islamist-dominated parliament is set to introduce a law allowing husbands to have sex with their dead wives up to six hours after death. Critics fear it highlights a trend of increasingly anti-female legislation since the Arab Spring.
    The “farewell Intercourse” bill was inspired by a Fatwa issued by a Moroccan cleric last year. Zamzami Abdul Bar said that since the two would meet in Heaven again anyway, death shouldn’t get in the way of one last post-mortem marital romp.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.