As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What kind of runthroughs are you planning yalb? Just interested.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    My classics for something like this are themed. The big one's Fisticuffs. That's nothing that I couldn't do while disguised. In the original Prototype, I only had to break that rule twice, one of which was for the final boss.

I may allow for the Shield power here, since a huge amount of Heller's survivability depends on it. Still debating, and of course I have to beat the game first.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hav to say, I'm definitely impressed with Prototype 2. The streamling feels good and the combat feels much more involved thanks to the timing dependant blocks. Gotta love dat Royal Guard. I do miss the challenges that Prototype 1 had, but I'm also kindnof a gaming masochist. I think I'm enjoying Heller more than Mercer precisely because he is such a scrappy bastard and I prefer being up close like that. The feeling of not being a virus god being slightly gone is fine since you aren't patient zero. I kind of expected Heller to not be as straight up powerful as Mercer. Instead there is a definite feeling of Heller's strengths coming from his soldier mentality and training. What he lacks in raw power he makes up for in technique.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    That GameTrailers review.. wow. I'm not talking about the score, I'm talking about the content of the video review. It sounds like Heller wrote the review and instead of the game he was writing a review of what he thinks of Mercer and his mom.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm not completely sure but I think hammerfists might actually be incredibly useful against every enemy type in the game including helicopters.
    I know.
    I'm amazed too.

They're more or less broken when used against infected. Hammerfist dive will knock them into the air and give you enough time to jump up and hit them with another one or do another attack. I am currently able to kill infected on insane, including evolved and they can't even touch me. Elbow drop has near instant recovery and incredible aoe splash so it's beautiful for killing packs of troopers quickly or just hitting things after they are down.

Now get this. Right. Get this. Juggernaughts are so big that you can hit them with elbow drop and it will do damage before you have hit the ground. You can cancel your elbow drop with a dash or a glide after it hits them but before you hit the ground, letting you smack them and be back in the air with no recovery.

I've also done this with the big dive attack on tanks but the timing is incredibly tight and might in fact just be a bug involving hitting their ariel or a raised part of the turret instead of the main body of the tank.
    But it's really really reliable on juggernaughts.

Some fun combos I've done on brawlers on insane.
    Hammerfist dive somewhere near them, they go into the air, you stay on ground and do blade tornado spin which juggles them helplessly. You can then jump up and do another dive.
    Hammerfist dive, blade drop while they lie on their back on the ground.
    Hammerfist dive lands directly on them, they go into air close to death, jump into air, blade quick air attack, they are knocked sideways in the air and flash consumable, cancel recovery of blade attack into air grab, grab brawler mid air and eat him. This one feels so bad ass.

Try it out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Fun little detail I noticed: I'm not positive, but I thiiink Heller's crater when he drops from a crazy height is smaller than the one Mercer made. Like, significantly so.

Which'd mean he has a lot less mass.

Which would explain the vast majority of differences related to his power level vs. Mercer's.

I could be wrong, of course, but it would make a lot of sense.

Now if only I could get those knifeyhands the generic Evolved are so fond of...

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I like that Heller is a different beast then Mercer. It would've been kinda dull if Heller had all the same characteristics.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    My one regret is no straight up flight. Straight up flight is the greatest thing in sandbox games.

...Okay, my other regret is that I'd have made Dana the protagonist instead of Heller, but I'm weird like that.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's weird that Mercer might have less mass, given he
    chows on other prototypes fairly regularly, who have themselves been chowing on random stuff. He should be way more powerful than Mercer. :P

Oh brilliant
    yalborap wrote: »
    My one regret is no straight up flight. Straight up flight is the greatest thing in sandbox games.

...Okay, my other regret is that I'd have made Dana the protagonist instead of Heller, but I'm weird like that.

Dana would be cool to have in 3, but I can't see her accepting the Blacklight virus willingly, and Heller would never go evil.

This is true. But the last time you see her in 1 was unconscious, having just spent some time with Elizabeth Greene's little faction. It would be very easy to infect her in that period of time.

Of course, it could also easily manifest later on. Many are the virus or parasite that thrive by showing no symptoms for a long-ass time, after all.

It'd be interesting. I'm not sure if the series needs a third, though. I mean,
    Mercer's gone. Without him, I imagine Blacklight will eventually be eliminated one way or another by Heller or Blackwatch. The only real plot thread left is PARIAH.

Huh, I've got 100% collectibles, but I'm still missing 4 Mutations (not counting the Radnet ones) - do I get more of em, or need to finish levelling Heller on a new game + or something?

Oh brilliant
    It'd be interesting. I'm not sure if the series needs a third, though. I mean,
    Mercer's gone. Without him, I imagine Blacklight will eventually be eliminated one way or another by Heller or Blackwatch. The only real plot thread left is PARIAH.
    Aka Armageddon Boy.

Plenty left for 3.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Love this game so far. Exactly what I expected. Can't wait for all the DLC.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Hmm, a lot of these descriptions make me feel like it's way less Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I picked this up and am currently screwing around on the second island on a hard run through. Having alot of fun with it. The changes they made to the movement and combat don't really bother me. If anything, I'm glad they seem to have gone out of their way to make the two characters feel legitimately different. One thing I'll note, that even though I loved how fast Mercer was and how easily he got to top speed and wasn't slowed down by parkour moves, the way Heller moves makes alot more sense. Powered by virus-magic or no, it really only makes sense that maximum speed would only be attainable and sustainable running on the ground as opposed to running up walls or over objects. Gravity affects everything, even virii. I also found it silly with Mercer that the fastest way to travel was to constantly bunny hop and dash into the ground. The fastest way with Heller, on the other hand, is to just run in a direction and weaving between objects. Its really fun trying to maintain top speed while racing down a street and weaving through traffic.
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, a lot of these descriptions make me feel like it's way less Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

I don't think that's a bad thing at all (if that's what you were implying). These games aren't really evolutions of the last iteration. Well, in the sense of underlying tech and stuff, of course, but gameplay wise I don't think I'd ever say Prototype 2 >> Prototype >> Hulk. They're all really good and feel unique. I think its really impressive that they all feel legitimately different from one another, yet I can't really say which I like better. They've managed significant variation of the core gameplay without actually making one style better or worse (aside from personal preference on certain issues). After I got Prototype, I went back to Hulk again, and I'm sure I'll go back and play Prototype at some point.

Edit: I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I preferred Mercer's psychopathic anti-hero shtick as opposed to Heller's gruff bad-ass shtick. I think part of it is how many times he swears. I'm not opposed to curse words by any means, but some of the writing seems profane to the point of parody. I'd play a drinking game of taking a shot every time Heller says "Bitch" but I'd be legitimately concerned about alcohol poisoning. Also wish they'd managed to keep Mercer's original voice actor. This one's a little too super-villainy sounding (which could very well be intentional).

Slortex on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    A wild Meme appears!

prototype+2.+SPOILERS+HELLER+IS+BLACK_2c9806_3626550.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I miss the top speed of Mercer had at times, I'm guessing its slowed down due to engine restrictions, since the new world is far more detailed.

I hope a potential next Prototype (Didn't finish 2 yet, so don't know if there will be) will be on the next gen consoles with a shitload more ram
    and hopefully making insane shit like the stuff Neo is doing here possible, the sense of extreme speed would be nice.

Scene from Matrix Revolutions.

Sirialis on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

I don't think that's a bad thing at all (if that's what you were implying).

There's tons of open world action games that are great and are not like Hulk, Infamous for example. However, slower and more controlled action games are relatively common, and ridiculous fast paced action like in Prototype and Hulk(in an open world) don't seem to be, so I'd just be sad to not have another game like that.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2012
    It is ridiculous fast paced action don't you worry. My complaints must be taken with the knowledge that probably 90% or more of players wont give a fuck about them.

Heller's maximum sprint with full movement mutations is faster than Mercer's top ground speed. You just have to weave between traffic and objects instead of going over them.

Let's not start justifying things by talking about what makes sense to each other. Heller and Mercer are powered by magic, period. Just like every other superhero with superpowers. And I've always preferred gameplay mechanics over aesthetic concerns. Always. Gameplay first in a computer game. Otherwise why wouldn't you go watch a movie or something. There was no good reason to remove wall running speed if you think about it from a gameplay mechanic perspective.

Morninglord on
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Let's not start justifying things by talking about what makes sense to each other. Heller and Mercer are powered by magic, period. Just like every other superhero with superpowers. And I've always preferred gameplay mechanics over aesthetic concerns. Always. Gameplay first in a computer game. Otherwise why wouldn't you go watch a movie or something. There was no good reason to remove wall running speed if you think about it from a gameplay mechanic perspective.

Yeah, you're completely right. I would be curious to know whether they consciously slowed him down on walls, or whether they revamped the physics engine and him moving slower on walls was a natural consequence of that. Regardless, I'd like the faster wall movement back. Though its nice that Heller will automatically handle walls with things like awnings, whereas Mercer would commonly get stuck on them.

Gameplay wise, though, I remember Mercer having to continually dash into the ground to move as fast as possible, because dashing into the ground would briefly accelerate Mercer over his normal top speed. I much prefer Heller's style of weaving through objects. Also, and I'm not sure on this, but I think parkour-ing over smaller objects like fences and railings maintains Heller's speed. Its not until you hit something like a car or a small structure that you need to build up your speed again.

Slortex on
    edited April 2012
    Dashing into the ground will bring you back to top speed faster. It just wont accelerate you over top speed anymore. It's still good for maintaining top speed at all times.

I used to just sprint around objects if I could in the last game anyway, I just liked to jump in places with heavy traffic or obstacles because it gave you a smooth arc with forward momentum unlike the constant slowdown caused by going over a very large object. After a while you learn to recognise which situations require a jump.
    I've actually found a way to get a jump that preserves his forward momentum in this game. You do the tiny hop then immediately dash. Basically hit the button twice but hold the second one. While holding it down, take your finger off the trigger. When you are about to hit the ground, dash into it and press sprint again in the middle of the dash. The timing isn't just frame or anything, you get a decent amount, but if you keep sprint held down you glide instead which ruins all your speed. Let go of sprint in first dash, press it again on ground dash. You have to do the ground dash to give you a buffer zone to press sprint again.
    Really good for crowded intersections.

You can also do a slower but easier to use version by depressing jump for a fraction of a second. Let go before he even does the jump animation. Basically just long enough that he wont hop. You'll still preserve some of your forward momentum, but you wont move through the air as fast as the harder one I was talking about. This one doesn't require you to dash into the ground again as far as I can tell. You'll still keep your forward momentum. It's like a medium speed version.

I'm starting to figure out how to move around at high speed again. It's a lot harder than the last game and I think a lot tougher to get right when under fire. But you don't actually need to get it right when under fire in this game because he can just turn around and smash everything to pieces on the ground.

You have to put a lot more emphasis on whats in front of you and treating Heller like a high performance race car. If you want to corner hard with him at top speed you can't just press to the right. You have to press right then pull even further down, almost diagonal. Swinging the camera around at the same time will also help.

Two of the islands have really big open roads with very few obstructions in them as well. The highway in the yellow zone and the train tracks in the green zone. Both of these let you hit top ground sprint easily and keep it.

Oh yeah, if anyone else is on ps3, has radnet, and loves playing with movement like I do in these games, please add me to your friends and start beating my movement event scores. I want some rivals! :) PSN is Morninglord.

Morninglord on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    heller i think says "fuck" more than he says "mercer"

Heller says "fuck" more then he breathes.
    That reminds me, is Heller dead the same way Mercer is, or just one of the Evolved like Galloway or Roland?

edited April 2012
    That reminds me, is Heller dead the same way Mercer is, or just one of the Evolved like Galloway or Roland?
    It is never explicitly stated. However he clearly remembers his life and events previous to before he was infected. Because Heller remembers everything I think he is an evolved, but honestly the distinction in terms of powers is semantic. All the cells of his body are probably completely replaced with the virus just like Mercer's.

The virus taking over Mercer's dead body was like recovering from a system wipe by reinstalling a new OS. Nothing from the past remains, so the personality and identity of the first Mercer was already gone. Everything from that point onwards was Mercer 2.0. The only important plot point about the first Mercer having died and his body being reanimated was how it changed Mercer 2.0's self-identity. The new personality decided he didn't need to care about individual human concerns so much anymore.
    Honestly I got the feeling the only reason he was motivated to prevent the destruction of NYC in the first game is because it was his city aka "fuck you it's mine I'll kill you." Like a petulant child. He was still more or less a newborn at that point.
    Whereas what we got in this second game is that same Mercer 2.0 after he's had a good think and sifted through the memories of the thousands of people he'd eaten, then decided upon a goal and started acting upon it.

I beat the main story missions on Insane. It was pretty easy in the end. Being able to go through it fully upgraded makes it a bit of a joke. It's just enough threat to keep you on your toes without actually being super hard.

Except the last mission.
    That fucking fight is a completely by the book fight. You only get a limited ability to experiment or vary what you do, going out of bounds results in extreme damage and you can't move around willy nilly because Mercer's whip grabs you before you get out of range. I didn't try to stretch the limits the first time I beat it, but the second time I beat it on insane I kept dying because I kept trying to experiment and use movement. It's quite clear they had no idea how to make a full on city spanning boss fight where both characters could use movement. Eventually I gave up and just focused on using what they allowed me to and beat it with barely a scratch.
    I was a bit disappointed the first time I beat him but now I know there is no way to make the fight more epic or break the rules or do anything outside the box I'm completely disappointed. What a complete waste of opportunity.

The game has great polish but it also lacks freedom. They're so scared of people being confused about what to do that they completely constrain what you can do with hand holding. In the end this actually limits replayability because there's no variety anymore.

And now I just want to say a further comment related to story in the last mission.
    This is a HUGE spoiler!
    "Enough of your fucking weird, fucking rambling, shit. Give me back my daughter!"
    I love this line so much.

Morninglord on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So far I am enjoying the game

Tendrils are fun

I do miss being a psycho murderer like Mercer, I do feel kinda bad when I kill civilians as Heller

I just remember that one mission where Mercer is in a tank chasing down some dude and just raging, was so good, wish I could find a video of it

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Hahaha, just did the Rottweiler mission - that was nice. "I'm not pastey!"

Oh brilliant
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    My favourite line is "ooh he's a cricket champion and a member of Mensa! What a douche. "

Will finish a new game+ on hard tonight just to get the last 2 trophies and platinum I think.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.

Tendrils are fun

I do miss being a psycho murderer like Mercer, I do feel kinda bad when I kill civilians as Heller

I just remember that one mission where Mercer is in a tank chasing down some dude and just raging, was so good, wish I could find a video of it

That was one of Mercer's finest moments.

"NOTHING will keep you safe from me! Not MEN, not WEAPONS, and not ARMOR!"

Probably mangling the quote, but seeing one of Mercer's first moments of genuine emotion being "I AM AN ANGRY FUCKING GOD, PEASANT" was glorious.

Tendrils are fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lKmwPuoII

Oh my god, that final fight. So many great lines.
    "I'm gonna skull fuck you and drain your memories outta the hole"

"How ya like me now, you emo fuck?"

"You really are a very crude person, aren't you?"

I'd have liked to see him using some of the powers he had in the first game, though - the stuff we don't ever get access to. No reason he couldn't have had em still.

So yeah, it was a little underwhelming, but it wasn't the stupid ballache of a final boss the first game had.

Oh brilliant
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular

I'd have liked to see him using some of the powers he had in the first game, though - the stuff we don't ever get access to. No reason he couldn't have had em still.

So yeah, it was a little underwhelming, but it wasn't the stupid ballache of a final boss the first game had.
    He used his hammerfist combo on me (minus hammer toss), which was pretty cool.

The one where he falls over backwards with hands above his head.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited April 2012
    Adda wrote: »

The cutscene attack that he does which you have to dodge on the third section of the fight is a hammertoss.

I actually found that really annoying. Thanks for rubbing my nose in it guys!

Also I kept expecting him to bust out muscle mass the first time I played it. I was dreading that.
    I think these guys never really played the game with muscle mass the way I do. They seem to think it was weak and confused people based on stuff the developers said in interviews.

Morninglord on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Even the mutation descriptions get in on the act,

18daw9.jpg

Survival of the fittest, motherfuckers!

kyrcl.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The cutscene attack that he does which you have to dodge on the third section of the fight is a hammertoss.

Also I kept expecting him to bust out muscle mass the first time I played it. I was dreading that.
    I think these guys never really played the game with muscle mass the way I do. They seem to think it was weak and confused people based on stuff the developers said in interviews.
    He also does Cannonball in his 3rd form I believe.

Havent seen Heller having that ever.

Sirialis on
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

He also does Cannonball in his 3rd form I believe.

Havent seen Heller having that ever.
    Kept waiting for him to bust out the armor and shield and just run straight *through* Heller. Alas, it didn't happen. Would also have liked to see Mercer use a devastator or two...perhaps not in gameplay since that would've been bull, but cutscene would've been nice. I mean, you have these two super-powered badasses, imagine the cutscene potential.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    edited April 2012
    More stuff I've found out.

Things that have either invincibility frames or you cannot be knocked out of.

1). All ground consumes. Just eat em where you grab. (Invincibility)
    2). All vehicle grab moves (Cannot be knocked out of hijack but you take damage. Weaponize and Killing are invincible.
    3). Anything with a cutscene type effect usually has knockdown immunity. Eg Black hole.
    4). Bio Bomb Butt Kicker (making it a really good move since biobomb is so powerful and they fly off with extreme range and homing in complete safety)
    5). Ground dodge (invincibility frames)
    6). Air dash (same properties defensively as last game).
    7). Sticking a bio bomb in someone. Can't remember if it's invincibility or knock down immunity, I think it's invincibility.
    8). Pack leader and Devastator animations have full invincibility.

Black hole sometimes lets you do another full jump from mid air after you have done it. This is quite clearly a bug but I have absolutely no idea how to replicate it reliably. I just always try to do a full jump after it ends and go "sweet!" if it works.

Air attacks.
    You are not limited to just the two attacks in the air if you change weapons. Whip can repeatedly attack as long as you do a dash (and a glide to level out or you'll dash straight at the ground).
    for example, starting in air, targetting helicopter above you, no powers selected, you are able to do this whole sequence without touching the ground as long as you have enough starting height and don't miss anything.
    1). Flying kick. Switch to claw.
    2). Claw lunge
    3). Black hole. (Jump if it works). Switch to blade.
    4). Blade quick air attack (switch to whip)
    5). Whip attack (either quick or longshot)
    6). Air dash to glide
    7). Whip attack.
    8). Air dash to glide.
    9). Whip attack.
    10). Air grab helicopter. Finisher.
    11). Switch to hammerfists, hammer dive on something below you. If this is a helicopter bonus points!

However many moves will make you fall if you don't glide to cancel their recovery immediately or dash to glide to stop your fall. Also if you miss a whip or the enemy helicopter is right at the edge of its range the whip attacks start falling before the whip makes it back to you so in that case you are better off trying to grab onto one of them.

I haven't found any way to reset your jump moves reliably other than getting into a helicopter and getting out, however any move that has heller land on a helicopter from above (elbow drop, claw lunge, hammerfist dive, etc) has a chance of causing him to parkour onto it which results in a jump reset. On the big fat ones you can sometimes dismount while holding forwards and he will clamber over it, but this is unreliable and if you really want to reset that much just get in.

This is all a hell of a lot of work but feels pretty bad ass to be switching powers all over the place. Sure beats using a weapon or a finisher every time.

The tendril tank finisher leaves you in the air after it is done which lets you immediately glide or dash away to avoid incoming rockets. So if you want to use a finisher under heavy fire on insane you are best to use this one because the other one tends to result in getting smacked with one of the incoming ouchies after it ends. All you have to do is tendril attack something to make sure tendril is out.

Movement
    Gliding at any point in a jump once you have jet boost will set you to full sprint once you hit the ground. I also timed it and glide, dash, glide is only slighly slower than sprinting. They really upped glide's speed in this. You only need to see a tiny bit of the glide animation to get the boost, so you can dash out of it before it starts lifting you high into the air.

Ground devastator has a much bigger range and hugely increased damage if you do it at 3 bars. 3 bar devastator is the most destructive attack Heller has. It one shots tanks, brawlers, juggernaughts, evolved, orions, anything in its radius is gone. A huge upgrade from Mercer's naff spikes. Don't worry about doing it on bosses you have to consume, mission objectives like that get temporary invulnerability to most attacks and they'll just be left at consumable health.

I have managed to kill exactly one helicopter with the air devastator in both playthroughs. It's range is crap and helicopters are too evasive. That helicopter actually flew into it after it had started, the other two I was hoping to get flew out. I hate that you can't make this useful with lock on anymore, even if it was a bug it was a fun bug.

Morninglord on
    Hey, anyone know of a good area to get the Grenade Artist challenge? Problem I'm having right now is finding a consistent spawning point for the thing where it's dense with enemies.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see all the RADNET content now, can't wait for new mutations and abilities.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud