As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's like FFXII, only playable and fun. There you go, it's worth a buy. It very little new and innovative, but everything it does, it does very well.

Also the main character is awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I don't really like FF XII but I love Xenoblade.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't really like FF XII but I love Xenoblade.

I hated FFXII....so, so, SO very much. It bored me to tears: atmosphere, characters, combat, story...everything.

Xenoblade is everything I could want in an RPG. Great characters, story that keeps me interested, and combat that is super fun and gets me to, and here is the kicker, seek out battles.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I loved both Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade. So, now we've covered all the bases. :P

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Should: It's a fantastic console JRPG, which is sadly rare these days.

Shouldn't: It's fifty bucks for a 480p game powered by hardware roughly equivalent to an old Xbox in 2012.

Still totally worth it if you ask me.

I love how people are using the resolution a game is running at to justify it's worth.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    some of my favorite games are in 240p (thereabouts or lower, it's hard to figure out exactly which from back in the days that people instead cared about the number of bits the console had)

for a while i was using a 2048x1152 monitor to play PC games on, making all my games instantly 6.67% better than 1080p games... which are usually just an upscaled 720p therefore like hojillions better. 540p1080i4k3D.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    That's like 9.6 dollars per p!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you liked the concept behind FFXII, but wished the game didn't play itself via the gambit system, then you'll probably love the game.

Honestly though, I would compare the game to... vanilla World of Warcraft. Before they got really casual with things. Where it was still lightyears ahead of most bullshit MMO mechanics, but where there were still quests and like that required you to hit up the internet since you'd never figure it out otherwise.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    The only parts of XII I really like are the hunts, Ashe's hot pants, and the voice acting.

The only things I don't like about Xenoblade are: Shulk and Fiora looking like twins, lack of a bestiary, no hard mode for ng+.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Basically, if you like RPGs and own a Wii, getting Xenoblade is a no-brainer. If you like RPGs and don't own a Wii, is it worth getting a Wii for? If you can afford it and you already own a 360 or PS3, I'd say sure.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    No need to be silly about the resolution comment, a game looking blurry on your tv is an objectively negative thing. And I still said the game was great and worth it!

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Should: It's a fantastic console JRPG, which is sadly rare these days.

Shouldn't: It's fifty bucks for a 480p game powered by hardware roughly equivalent to an old Xbox in 2012.

Still totally worth it if you ask me.

I love how people are using the resolution a game is running at to justify it's worth.

Yeah...this really bugs me.

I mean, I get that people are used to 360/PS3/PC graphics now, but I just don't get it. The game has a wonderful art style and despite the limitations of the Wii, I've been more impressed with each new area than I have been in an RPG in ages. Sure, it doesn't have the technical beauty of, say, XIII; but it (IMO) beats it in style (well, Academia in XIII-2 was amazing...as was Eden in XIII; but getting off point). I mean, seriously, every new area I've stepped into, aside from maybe Colony 6/Ether Mines has been more impressive than the last. Colony 9 looked great. If you can get past the bad opening, you get a feel for the actual direction of the art in the game. Then you get to the Leg and the huge vista, sweeping views and massive draw distance (if you can see it, you can pretty much go there); it's awesome. Then you get to the swamps and initially they feel cluttered and ugly (if you go during the day), then night hits and its wonderful; particularly deeper in the swamps. Then you get to the Makna forest and realize that, sure, this isn't a "current" generation game, but it also couldn't have been done on the xbox/ps2/gc at all. You see the amazing waterfall (that you can swim to, btw), a fully realized forest that you don't see in JRPG's much, that feels lush and alive. Then you hit Eryth Sea at night during a starfall and welp. Seriously, I can't think of any other game I've played in...I don't even know how long, that every new area impresses me like Xenoblade does; "last gen" graphics or no.

I guess I'm just different than other folks. I've been playing games too damn long, too many of my favorite games came from the last few generations or "ancient" pc games. I can still play VII and not be bothered by the block characters at all. A new game looking better, to me, doesn't make an older game look "bad".

If Xenoblade had come out last generation, it would have been hailed as the best looking game of the whole generation (minus the admittedly, inexplicably bad looking opening sequence). For me a game doesn't suddenly look bad just because something new looks "better". To make a terrible analogy; my 31yr old wife doesn't look any less beautiful to me just because I saw a 19yr old model on a magazine.

Yeah, I dunno. I realize that I'm easy to please; at least in comparison to many around these parts. But I just have to roll my eyes so hard whenever people go off about the graphics being like an xbox; because that's 100% pure bullshit. Straight up, no debate needed.

As an aside; what the hell happened to the tone of this thread in the last day (I'm pretty sure I actually know...)? It had been gone for so long with relative peace and harmony; the occasional person dropping in to complain about something, but most of the discussion was about the actual game, and helping others with things in it. Then it just turned into a debate/bitch fest overnight. I know that's the natural order of all threads in G&T, but come on.

Also I loved XII and Xenoblade so hi5 @Gyral

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Eh, the guy asked for a list of pros and cons and the game not looking as good as your average 360/PS3 RPG is a con. Everyone is still saying that despite the lesser graphics, the game is still well worth picking up though.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I posit that if a game looks like I could cut myself on the edges while playing on my HDTV it is a con

I still played entirely too much MH3 and Xenoblade is still great in spite of this

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Eh, the guy asked for a list of pros and cons and the game not looking as good as your average 360/PS3 RPG is a con. Everyone is still saying that despite the lesser graphics, the game is still well worth picking up though.

I find this to be a mildly ironic statement from the creator of BoDVII and CStW.

I mean, if someone asked if they should play FFVI, how many people would list the graphics as a con? Very few, I imagine.

It's not a fair comparison.

The Dude With Herpes on

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Sprite art tends to hold up better than outdated or muddied polygons, in my opinion.

I wouldn't list graphics as a con in FFVI, but I sure as fuck would list graphics as a con in FFVII

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

I find this to be a mildly ironic statement from the creator of BoDVII and CStW.

I mean, if someone asked if they should play FFVI, how many people would list the graphics as a con? Very few, I imagine.

It needs to be mentioned, pro or con.

edited April 2012

No, that's not a fair comparison because you'd be comparing 2D to 3D. FF6 still looks pretty good as far as 2D RPGs go. Xenoblade looks old as far as 3D RPGs go. Not ancient like say a PS1 RPG, but it definitely looks older than something like FF13 or even a lower budget 360/PS3 game like Dark Souls, Tales of Vesperia, or Valkyria Chronicles.

I agree with you that art style is more important that technology (and Xenoblade has a great art style) but that doesn't mean that technology isn't important.

And it's not THAT ironic. We take our graphics very seriously which is why we're constantly trying to improve our graphics with each new game. Rain-Slick 3 looks a lot better than Cthulhu Saves the World which looks a lot better than Breath of Death VII. And eventually, we want to make games with graphics that match or even exceed the best 16-bit RPGs like Chrono Trigger.

RainbowDespair on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think it would only be a fair comparison if it was out on 360/PS3. If you were comparing it to other Wii games, then sure that's fair.

That said, this and NSMB are the only two Wii games I own so I can't really compare it myself. :lol:

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Look at these shitacular graphics.
    Breath-of-Death-VII-07.jpg

Water does not form right angles like that!!!

I also like how every tree looks identical. La~zy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it would only be a fair comparison if it was out on 360/PS3. If you were comparing it to other Wii games, then sure that's fair.

That said, this and NSMB are the only two Wii games I own so I can't really compare it myself. :lol:

That's exactly the thing.
    It's on the Wii, it can't look much better without sacrificing stuff like viewing distance.
    Criticizing a Wii gaming for looking "bad" is like buying a used car and complaining that it doesn't go as fast as the latest Ferrari.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Look, muddied graphics is muddied graphics, no matter which way you want to slice it.

I love Xenoblade, I have poured a crazy number of hours into it, the environments are fairly amazing and I love the aesthetics of the game.

But the fact that it looks like someone slapped a fuzzy censorship mosiac over the character models is a con.

And that's ok! It's not a perfect game, it has some problems, problems that fortunately only detract minimally from what is a great experience, but you don't have to jump down someone's throat just for bringing up a perfectly valid criticism.

edited April 2012

No, that's not a fair comparison because you'd be comparing 2D to 3D. FF6 still looks pretty good as far as 2D RPGs go. Xenoblade looks old as far as 3D RPGs go. Not ancient like say a PS1 RPG, but it definitely looks older than something like FF13 or even a lower budget 360/PS3 game like Dark Souls, Tales of Vesperia, or Valkyria Chronicles.

I agree with you that art style is more important that technology (and Xenoblade has a great art style) but that doesn't mean that technology isn't important.

And it's not THAT ironic. We take our graphics very seriously which is why we're constantly trying to improve our graphics with each new game. Rain-Slick 3 looks a lot better than Cthulhu Saves the World which looks a lot better than Breath of Death VII. And eventually, we want to make games with graphics that match or even exceed the best 16-bit RPGs like Chrono Trigger.

I wasn't implying that you don't take your graphics seriously; in fact my "ironic" statement was implying the opposite, for the reasons you stated.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree then because I feel strongly that the art style of a game can keep it above its technological limitations. I think Xenoblade, seriously, looks better than XIII or XIII-2; for the same reason I think WoW looks better than Rift. The latter in each of those statement definitely have more going on under the hood and are powered by more technically advanced engines and require more advanced hardware. However in both situations I think the art direction for the former games trumps the technical aspects of the latter games by a large margin and I wouldn't use the graphics as a "con" in either situation when presenting it to another person.

I'm fully aware that its a subjective perspective. I will argue to my death that, again, while you can argue objectively that the engines and technology powering current gen RPG's is unquestionably better than Xenoblades, the actual quality of the graphics is entirely subjective and, I, personally, don't view the graphics in Xenoblade as a con, and wouldn't present it to someone as such.

EDIT: And to go back to something I said previously; compared to games more of its level of technology, I think Xenoblade looks better than any Xbox/PS2/GC game out there. I don't hold the technological limitations of previous generations (which the Wii is, technologically) against them. Personally. I'm not saying no one would or should, I'm simply saying I don't. Again, thats why the graphics in FFVII don't bother me. Why the graphics in Kings Quest V don't bother me, etc. And I wouldn't list the graphics of those classics as 'cons' because, in theory anyway, who you're speaking to should be aware of the generation in which the game they're asking about exists.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Actually, I remember one of the EGM reviewers gave A Link to the Past an eight because the graphics weren't up to his standard. It seems technology enthusiasts are a thing of all generations.

V0Gug2h.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chen wrote: »
    -Talk to X. Where is X? Who knows, hope you like walking around the entire city. And you better pray it's during the right time as well.

The affinity tree (forest more like) isn't the most intuitively designed, but you can search people in their respective towns and look up their times with relatively ease if you remember their relationship trees. It's a bit of a hassle if you're not familiar how to navigate, but once you use it often it shouldn't be a problem. If he/she is around during the day, don't set the time at 6am in the morning since they take a bit of time to get to their location. Recollecting their locations doesn't hurt.
    -I said I love the kill quests, but only if I actually know where the monsters are. If I don't... see above. Example: I needed some drop from a creature in Eryth Sea, tried to do it on my own. Went out hiking all over, targeting everything, but not finding anything. Finally had to look it up, and found where it spawned. It was in an area I had been and searched... in the day. Said monster spawns at night...

Again, a bit of memory goes a long way. A bestiary would have been helpful, but most animal names are pretty descriptive unlike some RPGs. Quests for unique monsters usually have a specific location or landmark where they can be found with a time frame if it's required. Some of the later quests have you exploring the area for unique monsters, secret locations, heart-to-hearts, collectables etc. anyway.
    -Unlocking Shulk's 4th tree. Talk to a specific person, who only shows up at night. Oh except she's not offering the quest. So I have to talk to her friend, who's on the other side of town, during the day, and get the little affinity blip. Oh except it's not working, I have to talk to her at a very specific time at the end of the day, when she's not otherwise ogling some painter. Oh but it's still not working, I simply don't have enough affinity to begin with, so back to hunting for quests.

I don't think you have to talk to Betty. She wants some career advice, which she will ask you when you have enough affinity, which should happen as you naturally progress through the game. If you maxed all three of Shulk's skill trees before obtaining enough affinity in colony 9 to trigger the quest, then you have what you might call a problem.

Some of the critique sounds like critique I've heard of Skyward Sword. They are confused how it works and are reluctant to explore and adapt to the inner workings. Once they post on a message board to complain about it and find out it's actually pretty easy, they'll complain it didn't explain it properly or how they don't like it anyway because they've been doing it wrong all this time and it now has a permanent stigma. If it's too streamlined they'll complain it has too much handholding. It's, like, why are you gaming if all you do is find niggles of imperfection in a game that's many, many hours long?

No, these are actual design flaws and "you just need to remember stuff!" does not excuse them.

LockedOnTarget on
    EDIT: And to go back to something I said previously; compared to games more of its level of technology, I think Xenoblade looks better than any Xbox/PS2/GC game out there. I don't hold the technological limitations of previous generations (which the Wii is, technologically) against them. Personally. I'm not saying no one would or should, I'm simply saying I don't. Again, thats why the graphics in FFVII don't bother me. Why the graphics in Kings Quest V don't bother me, etc. And I wouldn't list the graphics of those classics as 'cons' because, in theory anyway, who you're speaking to should be aware of the generation in which the game they're asking about exists.

And see I judge the technology of games based on other games that come out at the same time. To give an older example, I remember thinking at the time that Phantasy Star IV's graphics looked mediocre because it came out at the same time as Final Fantasy VI. Now, sure PS4 is a classic game and one of the best looking games on the Genesis but the graphics just couldn't compare to the stuff that was coming out on the SNES at the time. Likewise, when I play Xenoblade, I'm not comparing it to the PS2 era (against which, it looks great) but against games that I've bought in 2011 & 2012 for the PS3, 360, and PC.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Look at these shitacular graphics.
    Breath-of-Death-VII-07.jpg

Water does not form right angles like that!!!

I also like how every tree looks identical. La~zy.

SpeedTree is neglecting the 2D Sprite marketplace!

edited April 2012

And see I judge the technology of games based on other games that come out at the same time. To give an older example, I remember thinking at the time that Phantasy Star IV's graphics looked mediocre because it came out at the same time as Final Fantasy VI. Now, sure PS4 is a classic game and one of the best looking games on the Genesis but the graphics just couldn't compare to the stuff that was coming out on the SNES at the time. Likewise, when I play Xenoblade, I'm not comparing it to the PS2 era (against which, it looks great) but against games that I've bought in 2011 & 2012 for the PS3, 360, and PC.

Hrm...ok. I mean, fair enough, the Wii, while technologically last generation-ish (kinda middle ground), did come out this generation, so I guess that's a fine way of looking at it.

I suppose it's just a mindset thing. I just know, seeing as a game is on the Wii, it will have certain limitations, just like a game that was released on the PS2 would be. Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite, not only PS2 games, but games in general, ever. If I were recommending it to someone, I'd certainly point out it was on the PS2, but wouldn't really feel any need to warn them about the graphics being last gen, because it's implied in the fact that it's on the PS2. That's what I mean by last gen graphics not being a con to me; that wouldn't be a "con" as much as it would just simply be a fact of reality of the hardware the game is on. Thus, if I were to recommend Xenoblade to someone, I would just assume that the graphical limitations of the Wii are readily apparent, and no "warning" needs to be given, and thus, to me, not a con.

I don't discount the views of those who have a hard time with prior gen graphics. I mean, I absolutely don't understand it, but it's not invalid. Sure, I can look within a gen and see disparity within; I just don't compare cross gen.

The Dude With Herpes on

No, these are actual design flaws and "you just need to remember stuff!" does not excuse them.

How would you go about it then? Have a real-time map of every NPC moving in it? You can't have the people in town linking to a specific location on the affinity tree, since they tend to go to different places during their active day. If the developer's intent is to not show the location of NPCs at any given time, then that's their call and not necessarily a design flaw. It's like saying not having quick travel is a design flaw or that having save points is a design flaw in all subsequent games. I'm sure the ladies and gents at Monolith Soft had a lengthy roundtable discussion and decided this was the way to go. A bestiary, I'll give you that, but as I said, uniques that are part of quests do share their locations and unnamed animals can usually be found in more than one place in an area.

V0Gug2h.png
    A design flaw is a design flaw, whether or not the creators saw it as such at the time.

See: the old saying "Seemed like a good idea at the time".

So Majora's Mask not having locations of NPCs in the bomber's notebook on top of the time frames in which you can accept 'quests' is considered a design flaw?

I'd have to humbly disagree.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So Majora's Mask not having locations of NPCs in the bomber's notebook on top of the time frames in which you can accept 'quests' is considered a design flaw?

To be fair, Majora's Mask didn't have nearly as many quests. Most characters had like one event associated with them and you generally did it near them, rather than get it, go off and do it some other place, then return to talk to the original person.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    The funniest part about the 360/PS3 graphics whores is that soooo many of those "HD" games are natively running at something like 560p.

steam_sig.png
    Someone posted a picture of Enchancted Arms in the gaf thread complaining about this article. Man that game didn't age well at all. Xenoblade shits all over it.

Majora's Mask:

-Has only 20 people to keep track of. Colony 9 alone is double this.
    -Actually does give a generic location where the person may be found. May not be entirely accurate since they may move around, but it's at least a start in the right direction.
    -Shows a time bar to indicate when you should talk to them to continue their story. Knowing you need to talk to somebody between 2PM and 3PM is a lot more help than simply saying they're active between 6AM and 6PM.

I walk into Frontier Village. While climbing the tree, I pick up quests from Pepa, Hoko, Tuzu, Minana, and Rasha. Rasha tells me to talk to Cherri, and Pepa asks me to talk to Lupa. After an hour collecting their things in the wild, I need to return to Hoko and Minana. They have the "luxury" of being in the affinity chart, telling me what 12 hour window they're active in, and the nearest landmark noted in the quest notes (which is often than not not that helpful or accurate). Meanwhile, I have nothing to go on in terms of finding Cherri or Lupa.

Yes. This is a design flaw.

I can tell you exactly how I would go about fixing it though. Increase the range where the ! marks appear on the map by a factor of 50. Have them show up on the full map in addition to the minimap.

Do not give me quests in batches and then tell me to remember where each and every person in addition to the exact time it was when I talked to them. I do not have a photographic memory.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Basically yeah. They need to at least include the red !'s on the world map for NPCs (maybe not for quest items, that might make it a little too easy). It would be nice if there was a little box on the quest description or something that said who to turn it in to, where, and what time they were active.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    The landmark note on the quest notes is nice, but lots of times it doesn't help. Back to Frontier village, a few quests list Riki's house as the landmark. Riki's house is on lv4. Quest person meanwhile is on lv5.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I think it just lists the nearest landmark.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Honestly the MMO quest system is kind of inherently mediocre to begin with. If you're going to adopt an already flawed system to represent over half your game's content, then you should at least be doing everything possible to make it as pleasant to deal with as possible.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    also, biggest fix: A SET QUEST AS ACTIVE BUTTON. WHAT THE FUCK XENOBLADE, THIS IS THE EASIEST FUCKING FIX EVER

other thing they could've done: instant warped you once you found the item for the npc to the npc (like they actually do in certain sidequests), or at least given the option