As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I feel like korra's second encounter with the equalist barker is being misrepresented!
    She didn't just walk up and manhandle a dude for no reason, she hoisted him high (with but one of her mighty arms, mind you) and smashed his table because he is the only tangible link she has to a group that kidnapped her friend

In the first episode she was knocked off balance by the idea of benders as oppressors, which is something she never encountered or considered while being stuck in avatar training camp, and she left him alone instead of unholstering her guns because she's not a dick

Oh, she certainly has more reason this time, but that doesn't justify her smashing his megaphone, scattering his posters, or threatening him with assault.

A big part of Korra's story is going to be learning when force should and should not be applied,I think.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    probably not

my guess is mutton chops will be out of style in the 1920s, as opposed to the 1850s setting of TLA
    Counterpoint.
    Zuko.

"You must look within your beard, to FIND your beard. Only then will your true beard, reveal its beard!"
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=_yVPewAybZw&v=_yVPewAybZw&gl=US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVPewAybZw&v

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    People are all "oh, when Amon takes off his mask, we're gonna learn who it is and bluhhhhh"

Never stopping to think that if/when Amon ever is shown without a mask, if his story is true, he's gonna just look something like this:

darkman.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Thank you, arc

• Options
    edited April 2012
    People on Tumblr have already taken blood oaths to hate Asami the "Mary Sue" until the day they die based on, like, four out-of-context leaked pics.

Shippers are craaaazy

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I feel like korra's second encounter with the equalist barker is being misrepresented!
    She didn't just walk up and manhandle a dude for no reason, she hoisted him high (with but one of her mighty arms, mind you) and smashed his table because he is the only tangible link she has to a group that kidnapped her friend

In the first episode she was knocked off balance by the idea of benders as oppressors, which is something she never encountered or considered while being stuck in avatar training camp, and she left him alone instead of unholstering her guns because she's not a dick

Oh, she certainly has more reason this time, but that doesn't justify her smashing his megaphone, scattering his posters, or threatening him with assault.

A big part of Korra's story is going to be learning when force should and should not be applied,I think.

She was under a lot of stress!

I guess I'm inclined to cut Korra pretty much all of the slack because she is my favorite main character in a while

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    People are all "oh, when Amon takes off his mask, we're gonna learn who it is and bluhhhhh"

Never stopping to think that if/when Amon ever is shown without a mask, if his story is true, he's gonna just look something like this:

darkman.jpg

His face is the inverse of Zuko's.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Bizarro Zuko
    His character arc is one of corruption and losing oneself

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    People on Tumblr have already taken blood oaths to hate Asami the "Mary Sue" until the day they die based on, like, four out-of-context leaked pics.

Shippers are craaaazy

Yep.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

darkman.jpg

His face is the inverse of Zuko's.
    they could kiss without ever touching burn marks?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Shippers are craaaazy

I'm trying not to be suprised but "Mary Sue?" exactly which of the two male creators of the series do these idiots think she's supposed to represent?

Personally I cannot wait to see the antics an ultra-hot race-car-driving millionaire heiress is going to bring to the series.

I bet she's gonna be a riot.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Asami
    her goggles are green

like the equalists??

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Asami
    her goggles are green

like the equalists??
    no, like jealousy

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

She was under a lot of stress!

I guess I'm inclined to cut Korra pretty much all of the slack because she is my favorite main character in a while

Oh, I love Korra; I want to see Korra beat more protestors. Korra is rad.
    TankHammer wrote: »

Shippers are craaaazy

I'm trying not to be suprised but "Mary Sue?" exactly which of the two male creators of the series do these idiots think she's supposed to represent?

Personally I cannot wait to see the antics an ultra-hot race-car-driving millionaire heiress is going to bring to the series.

I bet she's gonna be a riot.

I agree! I think she'll be great; it'll be nice to have the non-superpowered main character actually not be the buttmonkey. That's a rare occurrence.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Bizarro Zuko
    His character arc is one of corruption and losing oneself

Bizaruko

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the only good anime is a dead anime

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Wait...alright, so now someone will come along and call me TrippySlow or something.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    what about Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

sh
    shut up

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I don't think so, at least, not so much. I think she's always going to be kind of brash and aggressive. I guess they could kind of go the easy route where "Bumi had to teach Aang that force can be a GOOD thing so Korra obviously has to learn the opposite" but I'd rather they didn't. Actually a lot of the reason I like Korra is because she's very self-assured. I'd hate to see the show just go down the list of all her possible character flaws and address them one by one.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Javen wrote: »

I don't think so, at least, not so much. I think she's always going to be kind of brash and aggressive. I guess they could kind of go the easy route where "Bumi had to teach Aang that force can be a GOOD thing so Korra obviously has to learn the opposite" but I'd rather they didn't. Actually a lot of the reason I like Korra is because she's very self-assured. I'd hate to see the show just go down the list of all her possible character flaws and address them one by one.

Oh, I think she will always be brash and aggressive, and indeed I as well would be very upset if she became a peaceful Airbender monk. Korra is an awesome character exactly as-is.

I just think that she's going to need to learn to temper her instinct for violence a little, as a bit more decorum will be necessary to take on a foe with the political savvy of Amon.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    I don't even think she's especially violent now, even. If anything, her rigorous Avatar training against bending Masters and her isolation seems to have given her a bit of not knowing her own strength. Like with the original triad guys. All she knew up to that point was "take down the bad guys" it was always priority one to her, and she was never really taught about collateral damage. I don't really think she needs to learn any valuable lessons about violence, because there's nothing she can't learn just by being around people.

Plus, as others have said, her friend was in trouble. Remember how Aang, a total pacifist, got when Appa was missing? Emotions were running high.

• Options

Well they spent a lot of the first two episodes showing how she tends to be reactive rather than thoughtful and how that just doesn't work in the era of republic city. Korra learning to consider her actions a little more isn't the same as taking away her self confidence

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't even think she's especially violent now, even. If anything, her rigorous Avatar training against bending Masters and her isolation seems to have given her a bit of not knowing her own strength. Like with the original triad guys. All she knew up to that point was "take down the bad guys" it was always priority one to her, and she was never really taught about collateral damage. I don't really think she needs to learn any valuable lessons about violence, because there's nothing she can't learn just by being around people.

Plus, as others have said, her friend was in trouble. Remember how Aang, a total pacifist, got when Appa was missing? Emotions were running high.

I think Korra certainly does need to learn some lessons about violence, a fact which is suggested by the show in the very first episode. She rolls into town and tears up a good part of a city block without even thinking about it.

Same goes for the third episode, where her plan to get Bolin back is literally just to rush the stage, and she defaults to assaulting the protester rather than even attempting to cajole answers out of him.

I'm not saying that she's wrong to be angry, or that her behavior is out-of-character, but she definitely tends toward violence as the answer to all problems. Just look at the exchange with Tenzin in E2 when she says that she needs to get better at fighting, and he reminds her that there's more to being the Avatar than kicking ass.

You're right to observe that she will learn just by being around people, but that's learning a lesson about judicious application of force by its very nature. When I say that she needs to learn, I don't mean that she needs to get a moral lecture on the matter by Authority Figure #53; she can and will learn from experience.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think it's violence specifically, it's just doing things without any thought at all
    kicking the guy off the side of the arena, going to the city with no money, smashing up a city block to stop 3 crooks, her little finger pointing match with bei fong, burning the 2000 year old treasure, sneaking into the arena in the first place, and a bunch of other shit in just the first two episodes

She's done alright so far by just reacting to things, but the combined experiences of city life and air bending training are going to temper that and allow her to grow as a character

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think it's violence specifically, it's just doing things without any thought at all
    kicking the guy off the side of the arena, going to the city with no money, smashing up a city block to stop 3 crooks, her little finger pointing match with bei fong, burning the 2000 year old treasure, sneaking into the arena in the first place, and a bunch of other shit in just the first two episodes

She's done alright so far by just reacting to things, but the combined experiences of city life and air bending training are going to temper that and allow her to grow as a character

Yup, that's entirely fair.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's a natural consequence of growing up in seclusion where the consequences of your actions are always controlled by others

I'm not really sure why they did that, Aang traveled the whole world during his training

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling Aang did not plan Korra's training

or if he did, his instructions were not followed

• Options
    Well Katara didn't seem to object to her training at all, and if anybody is gonna be big on making sure the avatar's instructions are followed properly its gonna be his widow who helped him save the world

Although she did agree that korra should go to the city

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    hey whoa nice thanks for that disturbing burn victim picture out of nowhere

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I imagine that Aang dictated that the Avatar should be protected and taught in isolation as that's the training he was supposed to receive.

I think that the White Lotus have just gone overboard with the notion of protecting Korra, out of the noblest of intentions. To learn how to protect the world, the Avatar has to live in it.

• Options
    Well Katara didn't seem to object to her training at all, and if anybody is gonna be big on making sure the avatar's instructions are followed properly its gonna be his widow who helped him save the world

Although she did agree that korra should go to the city

Well Aang's avatar training was 100% by necessity. The only reason they spent it travelling around was because they were constantly being hunted and the timeline to learn all the elements was a fraction of what most Avatar's have.

It's similar to working your ass off in the most brutal conditions to provide for your kid, so they don't have to.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

it's from a movie

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

it's from a movie

yes it obviously is but the intended effect is clear

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    how about this burn victim

sUDCb.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ooooorrrr THIS burn victim

tEuhT.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    or this burn victim
    crwthrage.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    IT'S HIDEOUS

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Amon, unmasked

151967054_54ece67fcf_m.jpg

T4CT on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I suspect Katara approving Korra's departure to the city is an acknowledgement that she has been sheltered and needs to get out there and see the real world

This discussion has been closed.