As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, if a fired staff member that isn't publicly announced as fired states that the NDA is lifted, it can be proven to be lifted because they have implied power unless publicly stated by ArenaNet that staff members don't have the power before hand.

Normally, agents of a company that are fired or no longer work for a company are publicly announced so this shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to show off. They are normally announced in industry based magazines, I believe or in some kind of special business-based newspaper or publicly announced online.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    This kind of derailment is fascinating instead of annoying. Please continue if you have anything else relevant.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    starting friday, couldn't people who were in the last beta just talk about all the things that they did last beta while pretending that they did it this beta

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Okay, here's clarification: this BWE is not bound by an NDA, starting at noon on Friday. Previous events continue to be bound by their respective NDAs.

This is likely to keep our hipster beta crowd from saying, "man, I liked Divinity's Reach before it was cool."

kQwcZLJ.png
    Xagar wrote: »
    This kind of derailment is fascinating instead of annoying. Please continue if you have anything else relevant.
    http://youtu.be/t9TqcSRCoCY

47uk6agplx83.png
  • charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, here's clarification: this BWE is not bound by an NDA, starting at noon on Friday. Previous events continue to be bound by their respective NDAs.

This is likely to keep our hipster beta crowd from saying, "man, I liked Divinity's Reach before it was cool."

Good to know, thanks. I'll make sure not to bug people too much.

charrbroiled on
    4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    GW1 just told me that the name "all names are taken" is already in use.

If all GW1 names really are reserved in GW2, it's going to suck big time.

That was like the 20th name I tried today.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    My understanding is that only names that are "registered" in the Hall of Monuments ( hom.guildwars2.com ) are reserved in GW2. A quick check shows that the name "all names are taken" is not registered. So there's that.

26904.png
    Hopefully there will be a time limit to require people to take their reserved names or they will be released to the public.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    So, when the game is finally released, everyone will mad rush to create characters with the names they want?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    eobet wrote: »
    So, when the game is finally released, everyone will mad rush to create characters with the names they want?

I will, yeah

keep in mind that gw2 doesn't have the Two Word Minimum requirement for names, so one word names are all available

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    Just 1200 words to write by 8pm tomorrow.

Easy...

I feel your pain Kafka, I have a program to write that has to implement Dijkstra's algorithm for every node in a randomized ten node graph. All nighter tonight, woooo!

Oh sweet, I'm not the only one implementing that algorithm. Luckily I still have a few weeks before I really need to turn in my project. What class is it for?

My original plan was to pull an all weekend for BWE, but the closer I get to it, the more I realize it won't be possible with school coming so close to an end. I will postpone this plan for the next BWE, but I shall still see you guys this weekend.

It's for my college's Computer Science III class, basically the continuation of 1 and 2 but focuses on the data structures that are an absolute bitch to wrap your head around. Graphs, trees, maps, hash tables, the works.

Very cool, I've taken an equivalent then. Fun stuff. Although, I didn't have to implement Dijkstra's in that class, but I believe we worked with the traveling salesman problem.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Basically any names taken by people without the Eye of the North expansion would not be reserved for GW2. I have EoTN on my account and it's linked so I can put the names of any of my characters (whether they have dedicated anything to it or not, as it's account based) into hom.guildwars2.com and it will return my progress. If you want to see if a name is reserved just punch it in there and see what it gives back.

Also as @unintentional said all one word names are open so it shouldn't be as hard to get a name in 2 as it currently is in 1.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's true! Hipsters really do ruin everything!

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I'm so glad my character names are never taken in any game or website.
    It's always me.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    It's always good to have names that are off the norm. Only time I've seen the character names I use have problems are in games that have been established for years, which reduces people to randomly stumbling across my name.

That said, I'm happy we can do one word names in GW2, although I'll still be keeping several two-three word names.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, speaking of names... where was that name generator people were using for the funny norn names?

I'm going to need that this weekend...

EDIT:

SEARCHING IS HARD GUYS!

I found it...

DemonStacey on
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    I friggin love this thing.

DRUNK PUNCHBRAWL.

Well I know what personal story I'm choosing.

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So, I just pre-purchased and registered the Digital Delux edition....anyone else getting all their e-mails from Anet in French?

my brother just got his in german lol

as long as you did the registering thing then it shouldn't matter

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So, I just pre-purchased and registered the Digital Delux edition....anyone else getting all their e-mails from Anet in French?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Just imagine! 24 hours from now we'll be sitting here going WHY IS IT NOT STARTED YET

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Just imagine! 24 hours from now we'll be sitting here going WHY IS IT NOT STARTED YET

And 30 minutes later.. it will start.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

*IF* it all goes according to plan. I will be at work, so I secretly hope you guys have issues and I can log right in as soon as I get home *evil laugh*

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Little over 24 hours and we will be all up in this bitch. Diablo 3 last weekend and GW2 this weekend. Good time to be a gamer.
    Klyka wrote: »
    I'm so glad my character names are never taken in any game or website.
    It's always me.

So smug. I am changing my name to Klyka and stealing your name in every game I can. :P

• MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    I still have no email telling me to download the client. No great problem as due to you highly knowledgeable (and excitable) folks here I was able to go grab it anyway, just a bit odd.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • hypotheticalhypothetical Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I got my purchase confirmation in German. I actually sent in a support question regarding it, because I was afraid it may have locked my game key to the wrong region. Arenanet said it's just a minor glitch, not to worry.

OMG one more day(ish)!!!!!!

steam_sig.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I'm not embargoed, so I am one of only about 30 non-ANet employees who can say, "I thought Lion's Arch was the best when those other lousy players weren't in it!"

Except that's not true, it was kind of lonely being there all by myself. Beautiful and super-awesome-looking, but lonely. ;)

I moved the day before I visited ANet last week, and it took three techs to get my phone/DSL line working. Thus I have just now posted my Guild Wars 2 impression. Something to read while y'all are downloading the client! http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2012/042512b.html

I will soon be posting the information I got from having a lore-related chat with Jeff Grubb, who is a very cool guy. I'll be sure to link that once it's up, since it's probably of more interest to those of who you have been living and breathing Guild Wars 2 info.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

*IF* it all goes according to plan. I will be at work, so I secretly hope you guys have issues and I can log right in as soon as I get home *evil laugh*

I heard a rumor that the past beta events have started a bit late. Running a MMO on this scale is not as simple as flipping a switch and I would expect the servers to come on, crash, and restart several times before they stabilize. Having said that, I'll be one of those fools hitting the login button obsessively starting around 11:55 AM

26904.png
    I'm not embargoed, so I am one of only about 30 non-ANet employees who can say, "I thought Lion's Arch was the best when those other lousy players weren't in it!"

Except that's not true, it was kind of lonely being there all by myself. Beautiful and super-awesome-looking, but lonely. ;)

I moved the day before I visited ANet last week, and it took three techs to get my phone/DSL line working. Thus I have just now posted my Guild Wars 2 impression. Something to read while y'all are downloading the client! http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2012/042512b.html

I will soon be posting the information I got from having a lore-related chat with Jeff Grubb, who is a very cool guy. I'll be sure to link that once it's up, since it's probably of more interest to those of who you have been living and breathing Guild Wars 2 info.

Oh wow, you're from RPGamer? I used to be one of "the usuals" on their forums back in like... 2002? Wow... that was so long ago. Were you at E3 in 06? If so we may have met before!

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular

This is a really nice article, thank you for posting! What'd you think of the studio?

kQwcZLJ.png
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular

Get any of the questions we asked answered by Anet folks?

steam_sig.png
  • Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

I heard a rumor that the past beta events have started a bit late. Running a MMO on this scale is not as simple as flipping a switch and I would expect the servers to come on, crash, and restart several times before they stabilize. Having said that, I'll be one of those fools hitting the login button obsessively starting around 11:55 AM

Don't crush me like this. I'm working myself to the bone to finish this work in time for 8pm tomorrow. I have to go get drunk at a birthday party at 10. I am going to be devastated enough if/when the servers collapse under the ravenous, sexually excited horde. Don't tell me I also have to contend with them being delayed in pressing the go switch.

steam_sig.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Good news everyone, I get off of work at 12:30 tomorrow. That gives me an hour and thirty minutes to be ready for best time.

I do encourage as many people as possible to at least setup your TS3 client and options before the event.

Also make sure your PTT key is bound even if your using voice activation, forced PTT can be turned on in loaded channels to avoid killing everyones ears when certain things happen with certain people. Channels with forced PTT will be marked, but make sure you got your key set ahead of time.

I will be monitoring the server most of the time, and corehealer and entaru both have my cell number if anything needs to happen when i'm not there (example: we got 99 people on ts right now, we need more room!).

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Guys, exactly 24 hours from this post. It happens.
    Also, I personally think the flood of info /vids to check once the weekend is over are just as exciting as the weekend itself.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I am so happy I have a half-day tomorrow.

i will be avoiding as much youtube as possible after the event. I want there to be things for me to discover on my own in the first few zones.

I'm going to alternate between doing work and playing the beta this weekend, but I'm probably not going to be back on the forum before then - so hopefully I'll see you guys in-game!

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    Remember that episode of South Park when Cartman froze himself so he could be thawed out after the Wii release date.

Should I...

PSN: Scotty85
    Ok WaM. We got a suprise ready to go for you once you hop in game with us :)

Draygo wrote: »
    i will be avoiding as much youtube as possible after the event. I want there to be things for me to discover on my own in the first few zones.

That's one reason im kinda happy that I think imma be Sylvari... I don't have to worry about spoiling anything this weekend!

Still need to see a size comparison of Sylvari to Human....

WaM! Is such a thing in existance?

This discussion has been closed.