As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Is anyone here familiar with the Ego/TK tree? I'm working on a primarily-melee tank, and I'm not sure I'm picking up the right attack powers. Right now I've got Weaponry, Breach, Annihilation, TK Burst, and Mind Link.

I was thinking of dropping Breach, TK Burst, and Mind Link and picking up other stuff. Breach seems silly since Annihilation does tons more damage with full Ego Leech and it's not practical to have two charge powers (spammed Breach has higher DPS than Weaponry but devours energy). I guess I'll pick up Lance instead so I have a ranged nuke if I need it. Burst is okay, but its DPS is low and I should probably use Frenzy since I'll be in melee most of the time anyway. And Mind Link is just all-around awful. Maybe I'll get Implosion Engine instead since it does good damage and would draw things into a convenient area for Frenzy.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    On most things it does nothing, on a few others rank 3 smoke grenade literally makes them sit there and look dumb while you kill them (this includes some bosses).

It's broken either one way or the other, has been forever, and while they've fixed a few specific issues (instance and holiday bosses being ones that topped the list, you used to be able to solo several instances by throwing the smoke grenade on the bosses repeatedly) the "low priority" bosses/mobs are still there as an issue because, well, not enough people care or notice.

Personally I avoid it because of the either "godly broken" or "useless" nature, I'd rather something I can use all the time, even if it won't let me solo "X".

So basically, rank it up to 3 and learn when it's going to be hilariously useful, or just leave it at 1 and forget it exists.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I haaaaaaaaate bosses that aren't immune to knockback. I play a brick character right now and everything I have has some sort of knockback. its annoying enough on the big tough minions. wish I could turn knockback off

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • WaftWaft Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about trying this game out again. What happens if a pre-F2P character is played on a F2P account? Are all the bank/inventory slots lost? I remember having loads of gear and crafting crap filled up on one character and that would suck to lose all that stuff.

Also, is there an up to date review of archetypes out there somewhere? Seems like there have been a few changes since what was put up on their F2P Archetype page on the official website. If I pay to go gold for one month and play a gold archetype, do I lose access to it if I go silver after a month?

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Your gear doesn't get lost, it gets dumped into an overflow slot thing until you find somewhere to stick it
    Wren wrote: »
    Huh, so that's why that one melee guy told me to get fucked for spamming force cascade

I WAS MAKING SO MANY NUMBERS THOUGH

knockback skills need a 0 point advantage to get rid of the knockback effect. its useful for some of them, but for big powerful abilities that are going to be spammed its kinda annoying

0 point advantages need to be addable/removable without having to remove every power between your last one and the advantage

override367 on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Awww man, I wanted to try Operation Stranglehold but it bugged out once I got to the second floor by none of the doors opening. I tried to drop the mission and pick it up again but it was still stuck as it was. Anyone know if it'll reset completely if I leave it alone or am I doomed not to finish up the prison-portion of the Desert?

Sorry for the double-post but I have a leveling question for anyone who's played Soldier. I'm at Lv32 and I'd like to know which would be the best power to pick. I've tried both Rocket and Gatling Gun at the Power-House but I still can't decide on which I like the most. Which is best for a PvE typically-soloing Soldier?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As per the star Trek thread, Cryptic had a security breach in December of 2010, and every account that existed at that time should be considered compromised. Passwords have been forcibly reset.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, just saw that.

Nice they finally figured this out.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wait.. so this email I got is about their servers a year and a half ago?

How did they just notice this now?

Also that means the hax0rz had a year and a half with my info. Changing my password now is sure to keep me safe back in 2011 when the information was passed around and used.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The worse part is that they also likely got much of the 16 digits of any credit card that may have been attached to the account.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I got a notification that this happened.
    But I can't actually reset my password.
    I expected a bit of a delay but it's been over 12 hours.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    What's the problem, exactly? I know the reset email got dumped into my spam folder, so make sure to check that.

What's the problem, exactly? I know the reset email got dumped into my spam folder, so make sure to check that.

Cryptic got hacked something like a year and a half or more ago, just noticed it when they got around to updating security procedures, and so far they don't really have any clue what information the hackers got away with.

So if you've had an active credit card with them for anywhere within the last two years, you just might win the door prize.

No fear though, Cryptic is forcing a change of passwords to solve the problem (which, ironically, has been a huge headache as both the password-resetting system and lifetimers seem to be having issues with that).

To be fair, everyone gets hacked eventually. But most of them have a 'what the fuck to do' plan, as well as quick detection. THIS IS NOT THAT.

Astale wrote: »

Cryptic got hacked something like a year and a half or more ago, just noticed it when they got around to updating security procedures, and so far they don't really have any clue what information the hackers got away with.

So if you've had an active credit card with them for anywhere within the last two years, you just might win the door prize.

No fear though, Cryptic is forcing a change of passwords to solve the problem (which, ironically, has been a huge headache as both the password-resetting system and lifetimers seem to be having issues with that).

To be fair, everyone gets hacked eventually. But most of them have a 'what the fuck to do' plan, as well as quick detection. THIS IS NOT THAT.

Oh, I know all of that. I was referring to Patboy's lack of password-reset goodness. Regarding the clusterfuck itself, I am saved by my lifetime subscriptions, as the card I had attached to my account to buy those had actually expired shortly after I got the sub to STO.

Same. Though I don't know if I remember the right info to reset it either. Though to be honest if it was "gone forever" because of that it'd probably be a boon.

But the problem is that their password-resetting server/software/whatever was never designed to be quick or handle everyone at once. Hence it's taking days and many computer issues for some to reset.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Sorry for the double-post but I have a leveling question for anyone who's played Soldier. I'm at Lv32 and I'd like to know which would be the best power to pick. I've tried both Rocket and Gatling Gun at the Power-House but I still can't decide on which I like the most. Which is best for a PvE typically-soloing Soldier?

I haven't checked this thread in a while, been having too much fun with alert. But to answer the question, albeit a bit late, Gatling Gun is far superior for PVE.

Rocket Launcher is good burst damage but that's all it is, the energy cost and charge time is prohibitive.

Some random thoughts:

Knockback is excellent in general. It is control, mitigation and damage on top of the damage of the power. However, it should be used wisely. A fully charged Force Cascade is always wise. The damage is always worth it, and anyone complaining needs to shut the fuck up.

But like, spamming shotgun at a single villain while someone is also trying to melee it is stupid; use a different attack that is compatible with the melee person in that case. If you're going to knock something while melees are trying to hit it, fine, but the knockback attack you use needs to be worth it. For powers like Force Cascade, it is worth it, even if inconvenient to the melee. For a light damage knockback power, it's not; stop it, you're being a git.

Ice is the powerset which I think has received the most unexpected and unintended love from the stat changes. Where it was previously always a so-so set with crippling energy problems and medium damage, it's now very easy to manage energy and still have a crit build. Ice fans rejoice, this is the best time to play Ice.

Smash is fucking hard mode. You get an all lowbie team and it's a loss. You get one or two leachers who aren't helping, also a loss. You get one of the hard supervillains and it's a loss regardless of what anyone does (Rakshasa, Draconis etc). Grabs on the other hand are almost always fun.

The change to Thermal Reverb has the support community crying foul. It used to scale with Presence, the only energy unlock to do so, and one of a shrinking number of energy unlocks that don't scale exclusively with energy stats. The change was made to support Inferno AT, which quite frankly is a shitty AT. More energy will not help them, they are doomed from the start with a shitty array of powers in a deeply mediocre set that is centered around a single attack which they don't get until they are almost level capped (Conflagration). The changes to Heatwave, Ego Storm, and Ego Choke, while justified, completely neuters Fire. It's shit now, and for the first time in the life of the game you are infinitely better off rolling a freeform Ice character over Fire (Glacier AT was always better than Inferno, by a factor of infinity squared).

Specialization powers are not designed with internal balance in mind. A few of the specs may be unbalanced in the larger scheme, but none of them are balanced against one another. Choose your specs with care: some of them are awesome and some of them are completely and utterly useless.

Re-gearing level 40 characters is surprisingly easy. Anyone who was upset or worried, don't be. Unity 1 and Unity 2 dailies will get you a primary upgrade a day. 3 days to have all your primaries best in game. Best mods will take more time, but rank 4/5 mods are very decent, and the difference between rank 6 and rank 9 is negligible.

Conversion of old crafting mats to mods is laughable, and barely worth the effort. For all your hoarding, a full bank of crafting mats converts into a pile of shitty rank 1 mods, which must be slowly and meticulously fused, 5 at a time, into the next higher level. Rinse and repeat until you have converted all those rank 1 mods and you're left with a handful of rank 4 mods, maybe a couple rank 5s. You can just buy those off the exchange for pocket money.

But many things weren't converted at all, so count yourself lucky. PvPers, your acclaim is worthless: Thanks for playing Champions Online!

Thanks for the replies, Regina. I'm at Lv40 now though and I've been having lots of fun with Rocket. :) Any more tips I should know about?

Thanks for the replies, Regina. I'm at Lv40 now though and I've been having lots of fun with Rocket. :) Any more tips I should know about?

I'm glad you're enjoying RL. Heh, it is a fun power. PvPers love it (PvPers love burst damage in general). I don't play AT's so I can't give you much advice on playing a soldier. As far as Muni goes, my favorite powers are Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Lead Tempest and Breakaway Shot.

edited May 2012
    Yeah, I use Assault Rifle for my go-to attack against bosses in Alerts and such. I just got Sniper Rifle so I'm still trying it out. I do like it with the Tungsten Rounds upgrade.

EDIT: Not sure how quick this will be answered but which of the two Lv17 powers available for an Unleashed is best to choose?

Owenashi on
    Yeah, I use Assault Rifle for my go-to attack against bosses in Alerts and such. I just got Sniper Rifle so I'm still trying it out. I do like it with the Tungsten Rounds upgrade.

EDIT: Not sure how quick this will be answered but which of the two Lv17 powers available for an Unleashed is best to choose?

What are the two powers? :)

Is anyone here familiar with the Ego/TK tree? I'm working on a primarily-melee tank, and I'm not sure I'm picking up the right attack powers. Right now I've got Weaponry, Breach, Annihilation, TK Burst, and Mind Link.

I was thinking of dropping Breach, TK Burst, and Mind Link and picking up other stuff. Breach seems silly since Annihilation does tons more damage with full Ego Leech and it's not practical to have two charge powers (spammed Breach has higher DPS than Weaponry but devours energy). I guess I'll pick up Lance instead so I have a ranged nuke if I need it. Burst is okay, but its DPS is low and I should probably use Frenzy since I'll be in melee most of the time anyway. And Mind Link is just all-around awful. Maybe I'll get Implosion Engine instead since it does good damage and would draw things into a convenient area for Frenzy.

For a tank you want a spamable move with crippling challenge, an aoe, maybe with challenging strikes (optional, tanks are not necessarily expected to gather up minions like in some games but you definitely need an aoe in this game) and a heavy hitter. Beyond that, work on rounding out your defenses and survivability, then after that you can pick up some more attacks for fun or for unusual situations (a melee tank needing a ranged attack would be unusual).

Weaponry is spamable, and can take crippling challenge, Annihilate is a heavy hitter so you have that covered. Frenzy is a better aoe than Burst. Burst is there for people who are fully ranged or need the disorient debuff, or both. Eruption is also a great aoe, but an energy hog and it's a charge move not a maintain like Frenzy. Mind Link is pointless and awful.

For a melee tank, once you have a cripple, a heavy hitter, and an aoe, I would pick up two active defense powers and an active offense at least one self-heal that isn't Resurgence (because Resurgence is an active defense) and a lunge before I even considered a 4th attack.

edited May 2012

For a tank you want a spamable move with crippling challenge, an aoe, maybe with challenging strikes (optional, tanks are not necessarily expected to gather up minions like in some games but you definitely need an aoe in this game) and a heavy hitter. Beyond that, work on rounding out your defenses and survivability, then after that you can pick up some more attacks for fun or for unusual situations (a melee tank needing a ranged attack would be unusual).

Weaponry is spamable, and can take crippling challenge, Annihilate is a heavy hitter so you have that covered. Frenzy is a better aoe than Burst. Burst is there for people who are fully ranged or need the disorient debuff, or both. Eruption is also a great aoe, but an energy hog and it's a charge move not a maintain like Frenzy. Mind Link is pointless and awful.

For a melee tank, once you have a cripple, a heavy hitter, and an aoe, I would pick up two active defense powers and an active offense at least one self-heal that isn't Resurgence (because Resurgence is an active defense) and a lunge before I even considered a 4th attack.

Thanks. I've done most of these things, and I'm easily stealing aggro from DPS toons without needing a cripple (though I have it on my lunge). I think once I update my gear and get a higher crit chance I'll be doing even more damage.

edit: looks like we're getting a Double Questionite Weekend, and today's patch increased base Questionite rewards.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on

Force Eruption and Eye Of The Storm.

Force Eruption and Eye Of The Storm.

Eye of the Storm is much better, just please please please understand that it is not actually good dps.

I see people spamming it during timed Smash alerts and just facepalm until my face is sore.

So the patch apparently took care of all those people exploiting enrage to do 40k force cascades one after another..........by making enrage stacks all fall off at once if you try to refresh them.

I'm not sure how in the hell that bug slipped through if it was tested even once. It's the equivalent of *buttonpress* ----> EXPLODE.
    I think their Q&A ran for the hills long ago.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Astale why do you even still play this game. I mean this as an honest question. I play this game periodically, every couple months I check out new content and stuff, so I keep up with what's going on it via this thread.

And you just have so much bile and hate directed towards this game you're apparently still playing and I'm just like

why do you bother

Astale wrote: »
    So the patch apparently took care of all those people exploiting enrage to do 40k force cascades one after another..........by making enrage stacks all fall off at once if you try to refresh them.

I'm not sure how in the hell that bug slipped through if it was tested even once. It's the equivalent of *buttonpress* ----> EXPLODE.
    I think their Q&A ran for the hills long ago.

That bug has already been fixed as of this morning.

edited May 2012
    Pony wrote: »
    Astale why do you even still play this game. I mean this as an honest question. I play this game periodically, every couple months I check out new content and stuff, so I keep up with what's going on it via this thread.

And you just have so much bile and hate directed towards this game you're apparently still playing and I'm just like

why do you bother

Because I still have a few friends that pop in and I use it as a glorified chat room, since it costs me nothing anyways. Which is pretty much what everybody else uses it for these days, too, it seems, as none of them do anything other than chat either (lifetime or free accounts, the last of them that was actually paying quit with the "On Alert" patch, they'd had enough).

This is the wrong MMO for that to bother you somehow. It's the wrong thing to be bothered about too.
    Though if I didn't bother with bad games myself I'd probably save a lot of money each year to be fair.

So to answer, I hang out with people, I don't play the game itself. Game is bad.

Edit: Also, after having spent all of a minute and a half in the official forums I will have you know I am the greatest goddamn optimist ever for this game in comparison.

Astale on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    comparing to the official forums is like saying

"yeah but at least I'm not a nazi"

like yeah i suppose that's true

but

Substantial rebalancing of some powers, along with some brand new powers, are all up ins on the test server.

New "form" toggles for ranged/CC/heals, Enrage is now a form toggle and got hit with a thermonuclear nerf bat. Aura powers are dramatically rebalanced based on character stance (AoPM now gives much less personal benefit across the board, while giving more benefit to allies while in Support mode, etc). A few new power armor powers which I haven't tested yet. Eye Beams is no longer a worthless joke power.

Do they post the test-server's patch notes anywhere on the CO site or forum?

On the forum, yes, but you have to be logged in.

Also I tested the new PA powers. There's a new energy builder which looks like any of the normal palm-firing EBs, except it shoots laser beams instead of various bolts. It also has a Plasma Burn secondary effect, which does insane damage over time if it procs, and it stacks (though there's no advantage to give it a proc chance on every shot, yet). There's a non-targeted cylinder AoE beam which does some decent damage and looks cool. The new tier-4 power is called Fire All the Weapons. It's using placeholder graphics right now (Micro Munitions), but it's a 120-deg, 50ft cone which does some very substantial damage (like 600/tick over 5-6 ticks with shitty gear).

edited May 2012

On the forum, yes, but you have to be logged in.

That I am, but I don't see a test-server sub-forum like STO has.

EDIT: It looks like they hide that particular sub-forum from CO-F2Pers according to a post I just found. Ah well.

Owenashi on
    Way too much doom and gloom in Fartacuses post.

Our testing has indicated that the damage reductions to the enrage and form powers is nowhere near as bad as it looks on paper. Most everyone was way past the damage curve and these reductions are hitting people for like... 5% damage, 3% damage.

Even the AoPM nerf isn't that epic, and all the new stuff that are adding looks great.

Any chance of a copy-n-paste of the test server's notes being posted here?

Any chance of a copy-n-paste of the test server's notes being posted here?

I'm not going to do that right now, because I don't want to contribute to an atmosphere of fear surrounding the changes.

I'll post the notes when PTS gets updated with the latest round of changes. The initial changes that are currently on test (and therefore, the PTS update notes) have already changed in response to player feedback.

Our testing has indicated that the damage reductions to the enrage and form powers is nowhere near as bad as it looks on paper. Most everyone was way past the damage curve and these reductions are hitting people for like... 5% damage, 3% damage.

Even the AoPM nerf isn't that epic, and all the new stuff that are adding looks great.

The overall damage reductions aren't worthy of any doom and gloom, but there is quite a bit of whining over cutting Enrage's non-melee damage bonus in half (in addition to the overall reduction). The PvP flavor of the month (the last many months, actually) was to run a strength-spec build with AoPM and Enrage, which would grant ginormous boosts to ranged damage (with Force Cascade doing 6-digit damage in some instances). It's speculated that part of the impetus for these changes was a forum post where a guy laid out the uber build for everyone to copy.

The overall damage reductions aren't worthy of any doom and gloom, but there is quite a bit of whining over cutting Enrage's non-melee damage bonus in half (in addition to the overall reduction). The PvP flavor of the month (the last many months, actually) was to run a strength-spec build with AoPM and Enrage, which would grant ginormous boosts to ranged damage (with Force Cascade doing 6-digit damage in some instances). It's speculated that part of the impetus for these changes was a forum post where a guy laid out the uber build for everyone to copy.

That uber build post was a joke post about an idea (primal majesty + enrage) that has been common knowledge for some time.

The only twist added by On Alert patch was that you can have enough energy with "rage of majesty" to also spam force cascade. But again, this was hardly a secret.

Enrage's ranged damage being cut is fairly meaningless, as there is a new ranged damage toggle that replaces it. None of the problematic builds were hybrid, they were all ranged. Only hybrid melee/ranged builds are really messed up by this, and most people who play those are playing theme-characters and were never using primal majesty or enrage in the first place.

All the huffing and puffing about rage of majesty is retarded anyway, people doing that have clearly never seen an Epidemic spammer.