As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D'aww [chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Talking dolls are horrifying toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKoQvo_mlAQ

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Feral, I will unfurl to you the secret of kids

it is so easy

they're in a hurry to be grown-ups. that's all there really is to it. when you and I read and were polite to our elders, we were just aping different kinds of adult behavior than our classmates who were playing house or kickball or whatever. every kid with a stick and a ball is Jose Canseco in his head.

if you're ever stuck with a bored nine year old who won't just sit down and read a book and you don't know what to do, just teach him something in the guise of letting him in on some sort of arcane adult secret. show him how to boil water for pasta or check the dipstick on the car or run a virus scan or something.

Hmm.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    it has been brought up to me a number of times that people without kids will often have strong opinions about how kids should be raised, or what behavior is acceptable

I'LL NEVER LET MY KID BE LOUD IN PUBLIC OR WATCH TEE VEE

and I guess that changes right quick when you actually have one

I'm not above using Benadryl and schnapps to sedate my children if they're being unruly.

Not really Xanax though.

Well, maybe a little Xanax.

Flintstones Chewable Xanax

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I could probably pee in front of a live studio audience.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    daddy how do you make amphetamines

Well, kid, the preferred method these days is the two-liter bottle method

but that gets you some pretty dirty rock

so daddy's going to show you how to use red phosphorous, like we did in the 90s

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    it has been brought up to me a number of times that people without kids will often have strong opinions about how kids should be raised, or what behavior is acceptable

Picking their battles is a thing that parents do.

It is a required thing.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I remember when my parents finally let me load the dishwasher (their favorite kitchen toy).

It was fun for weeks...until it wasn't.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I could probably pee in front of a live studio audience.

This thread is getting hot.

... wait, what?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    daddy how do you make amphetamines

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I remember when my parents finally let me load the dishwasher (their favorite kitchen toy).

It was fun for weeks...until it wasn't.

exactly, yeah

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

i wonder what percentage of parents stick to their guns

ALL their guns? 0%.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I loved to vacuum as a kid. but I still kind of do because I'm a neat freak and the smell is great.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    So to get a project moving forward, we need a password for this FTP server that our hosting people have and won't give us. My boss found a way to get the password without them knowing. It doesn't involve breaking into any systems, but the intent is to get a password we're not meant to have and use that password to access a server in a way we're not expected to.

I suggested this might cause some trouble, but the boss said they won't know, so we won't get in trouble. And she's right. They wouldn't know, because we traditionally access the server via FTP via a Dreamweaver site definition where the password is obfuscated. We're just trying to get around needing Dreamweaver since not all of us have it.

So if I don't say anything, no one knows and everything looks copacetic. On the other hand, part of me still feels like this method can't be right.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So to get a project moving forward, we need a password for this FTP server that our hosting people have and won't give us. My boss found a way to get the password without them knowing. It doesn't involve breaking into any systems, but the intent is to get a password we're not meant to have and use that password to access a server in a way we're not expected to.

I suggested this might cause some trouble, but the boss said they won't know, so we won't get in trouble. And she's right. They wouldn't know, because we traditionally access the server via FTP via a Dreamweaver site definition where the password is obfuscated. We're just trying to get around needing Dreamweaver since not all of us have it.

So if I don't say anything, no one knows and everything looks copacetic. On the other hand, part of me still feels like this method can't be right.

If you have access to it in some form even if it's obfuscated they should be taking the necessary precautions. Feign ignorance. Not giving someone an FTP password is silly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

It sounds like your hosting people are just being dicks. can you switch hosting companies?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I always kind of want to behave unpretentiously with kids. Like, not do the silly voices and playacting that people do.

This sort of works, in that children are not intrinsically stupid, they just lack a complete mental model of how to interact with the world, which means that they will make incomprehensible leaps of logic and generally appear to be acting in a manner that doesn't make any sense.

I really hate to see parents either mocking or scolding their children when the child has tried to figure something out and arrived at an incorrect and nonsensical solution. Discouraging kids from actively thinking about the things around them seems to me to be a terrible idea.

It can be very trying on the patience, though, and sometimes they really do just want to hear the story with all the voices in.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

ALL their guns? 0%.

i don't know, i've met some hardcore martinets.

• Options
    Watching different parents at work has led me to compiling a pretty decent list of dos and donts when it comes to (maybe someday) having children of my own.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I had a grand total of one punch ever thrown at me as a kid. I was mocked mercilessly from the time that I was about in third grade until about my junior year in highschool. I was called faggot and a girl (because of my hair). I spent a great deal of time though with my small group of friends and largely ignored the culture outside of that. I suffered socially, but not overly much I don't think. I was bullied a bit, but never physically. I was also a very well behaved kid and teenager. I was late home once ever without calling, and I never got into drugs or anything.

Of course I was a generally bad student, and lazy as all get out. But I was very mild mannered. I like to think that I'm still that way today, but I'm afraid that sometimes I recognize how the world has affected me. I'm not as naive, not as innocent, and a little less hopeful. I do try to reclaim that though, because it's something that I've always liked about myself.

in defense of those bullies, your hair is pretty gay

I've actually noticed the opposite. In my life, I've met very few gay men with hair like mine. Most have the generally socially acceptable length of male hair. So there.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the hardest part of children is not investing in their successes

because rewarding success is the worst thing you can do

but parents love seeing their children succeed, and children are so good at picking up on it

its so hard to step out and try and reward their effort and really emphasise the failure element of learning

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    I loved to vacuum as a kid. but I still kind of do because I'm a neat freak and the smell is great.

now that i know you're a neat freak as well we're destined to one day share an apartment

Organichu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

My official guess is zero percent.

The overwhelming majority of things people proclaim about theoretical kids are like the decisions people make during pregnancy -- it's all about them and some notion of a kid. Thry're talking about themselves the whole time and they think they're talking about a child.

Soto zen 101: words and ideas are not the things you use them about

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the avengers was kinda cool I guess

• Options
    I've actually noticed the opposite. In my life, I've met very few gay men with hair like mine. Most have the generally socially acceptable length of male hair. So there.

I have had this exact conversation with my brother. I have met precisely one gay man with long hair in my life.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

My official guess is zero percent.

The overwhelming majority of things people proclaim about theoretical kids are like the decisions people make during pregnancy -- it's all about them and some notion of a kid. Thry're talking about themselves the whole time and they think they're talking about a child.

Soto zen 101: words and ideas are not the things you use them about

also I guess it is much harder than it looks

and when you're like, I WILL ALWAYS GIVE MY KIDS AN ANSWER INSTEAD OF TELLING THEM BECAUSE

and you are hardcore judging some stupid parent who isn't doing this

you aren't seeing the sleep deprivation or the 10,000 times before the kid has asked this question or whatever

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    I always kind of want to behave unpretentiously with kids. Like, not do the silly voices and playacting that people do.

This sort of works, in that children are not intrinsically stupid, they just lack a complete mental model of how to interact with the world, which means that they will make incomprehensible leaps of logic and generally appear to be acting in a manner that doesn't make any sense.

I really hate to see parents either mocking or scolding their children when the child has tried to figure something out and arrived at an incorrect and nonsensical solution. Discouraging kids from actively thinking about the things around them seems to me to be a terrible idea.

It can be very trying on the patience, though, and sometimes they really do just want to hear the story with all the voices in.

Kids are (generally) pretty damn smart, it is just, as you said, that they are working with a very incomplete data set.

They'll make a lot of sensible choices that are 'wrong' due to that incomplete data set. Like pluralizing goose and gooses, they are consistently applying the rules they have learned, but they are missing information (geese don't give a fuck about your rules).

• Options
    I had a grand total of one punch ever thrown at me as a kid. I was mocked mercilessly from the time that I was about in third grade until about my junior year in highschool. I was called faggot and a girl (because of my hair). I spent a great deal of time though with my small group of friends and largely ignored the culture outside of that. I suffered socially, but not overly much I don't think. I was bullied a bit, but never physically. I was also a very well behaved kid and teenager. I was late home once ever without calling, and I never got into drugs or anything.

Of course I was a generally bad student, and lazy as all get out. But I was very mild mannered. I like to think that I'm still that way today, but I'm afraid that sometimes I recognize how the world has affected me. I'm not as naive, not as innocent, and a little less hopeful. I do try to reclaim that though, because it's something that I've always liked about myself.

in defense of those bullies, your hair is pretty gay

*scribbles furiously in notepad*

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    If you have access to it in some form even if it's obfuscated they should be taking the necessary precautions. Feign ignorance. Not giving someone an FTP password is silly.

You're right. Odds are decent I can come out of this with perfect deniability.
    It sounds like your hosting people are just being dicks. can you switch hosting companies?

Nah, they're the people who provide hosting services for our department, but they aren't a company we can just dump. They're simply another division of the department. And they pull this all the time. The most unhelpful and disruptive group of IT people I've ever had the pleasure of working with, which is a feat since all I've done for the last 5 years is IT work.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The most I want to hope is that I won't be crushingly, constantly disappointed by my child.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

I have had this exact conversation with my brother. I have met precisely one gay man with long hair in my life.

I mean, it makes sense. Most gay men find other men attractive, right? Well men look like men in our culture, not like women. So feminine hair probably isn't going to be seen as super attractive by gay men. This is ignoring the subset of men that crossdress and have sex with other men for the sake of simplicity, because human sexuality be complicated like whoah.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

This is another thing where I think that whole "it take a village" philosophy is dead on.

We basically expect parents to do all their child-rearing by themselves these days, and then act appalled when they don't have the energy or patience to do all the helpful little things that they probably ought to.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

now that i know you're a neat freak as well we're destined to one day share an apartment

I'm into it, just give me 10 years or so to finish school and get a job

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kosh, will you end up becoming the applewhite figure of some kind of tabletop-centric hemp commune? I mean that is totally what I'm getting from this.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

Kids are (generally) pretty damn smart, it is just, as you said, that they are working with a very incomplete data set.

They'll make a lot of sensible choices that are 'wrong' due to that incomplete data set. Like pluralizing goose and gooses, they are consistently applying the rules they have learned, but they are missing information (geese don't give a fuck about your rules).

This is kind of what's worked for me, in that there have always been young children around somewhere in my extended family with which I have interacted.

I have absolutely no idea if it's sustainable over a long period as an actual parenting technique.

Also my youngest cousin was gifted with boundless curiosity and an uncontrollable urge to experiment. That was a combination that turned out to be somewhat disruptive.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

This is another thing where I think that whole "it take a village" philosophy is dead on.

We basically expect parents to do all their child-rearing by themselves these days, and then act appalled when they don't have the energy or patience to do all the helpful little things that they probably ought to.

It's totally crazy expectation in my opinion. Bring in the extended family, friends, nannies, etc. You are going to need them.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The most I want to hope is that I won't be crushingly, constantly disappointed by my child.

i'm sure your child will be the best starcraft 3 player known to man

• Options

I'm into it, just give me 10 years or so to finish school and get a job

i'll hold you a spot

i won't start dinner until you arrive

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its cool ive seen what disappointed parents look like already, im expecting my children if i have any to be a serious letdown

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i expect hakkekage to raise my child about 15% of the time

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I mean, it makes sense. Most gay men find other men attractive, right? Well men look like men in our culture, not like women. So feminine hair probably isn't going to be seen as super attractive by gay men. This is ignoring the subset of men that crossdress and have sex with other men for the sake of simplicity, because human sexuality be complicated like whoah.

I also think that a big part of it is that normal hair length for men includes all the men. And some of those men are dudes who dig other dudes. So they are simply part of what makes shorter hair "normal"

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
This discussion has been closed.