Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1679111236

Posts

  • edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    LowRenzOh wrote: »
    So, this is regarding that last rule about buying/selling badges second-hand. I have a friend who WANTS to go but doesn't know if he can. We were worried that if he bought a pass he would be stuck with it in the event he couldn't attend. But, if I'm interpreting this correctly, if he buys the pass and can't go, I can bring it with me to the convention and sell it to someone there because they can get it checked to make sure it's authentic, so that my friend can get his money back. Is this all correct, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

    It's correct that what you describe is possible. From a seller's end, you can know if you have a legit badge, and be a total saint about selling it at face or giving it away, or whatever. But considering the MASSIVE counterfeiting problem at Prime last year, PAX can no longer officially condone any method of re-selling badges because the buyer has little to no protection short of getting someone to validate it in person at the con before paying for it.

    Edit: To be clear, you CAN have the badge checked on-site, so that's very possible. That's the only way though.

    Thanks a lot for the info! We just wanted to be sure he could get his money back in case something fell through.

    LowRenzOh on
  • LowRenzOh wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    LowRenzOh wrote: »
    So, this is regarding that last rule about buying/selling badges second-hand. I have a friend who WANTS to go but doesn't know if he can. We were worried that if he bought a pass he would be stuck with it in the event he couldn't attend. But, if I'm interpreting this correctly, if he buys the pass and can't go, I can bring it with me to the convention and sell it to someone there because they can get it checked to make sure it's authentic, so that my friend can get his money back. Is this all correct, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

    It's correct that what you describe is possible. From a seller's end, you can know if you have a legit badge, and be a total saint about selling it at face or giving it away, or whatever. But considering the MASSIVE counterfeiting problem at Prime last year, PAX can no longer officially condone any method of re-selling badges because the buyer has little to no protection short of getting someone to validate it in person at the con before paying for it.

    Edit: To be clear, you CAN have the badge checked on-site, so that's very possible. That's the only way though.

    Thanks a lot for the info! We just wanted to be sure he could get his money back in case something fell through.

    To be clear for anyone else reading this, by "get his money back" he means sell it for face on-site with badge checking :) Not a refund.

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • For anyone who thought they bought a pass yesterday during the registration kerfuffle but didn't get a confirmation email - I got the confirmation email at about 12:30 AM ET last night. I had checked at 11 pm and at that point had no email and no credit card charge but now it's apprently gone through. Yay!

  • Question about the hotel system: when it goes up how fast do the popular hotels go? Do you pay 100% upfront? Can you cancel if necessary?

    TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • Westrunner wrote: »
    Question about the hotel system: when it goes up how fast do the popular hotels go? Do you pay 100% upfront? Can you cancel if necessary?

    Fairly quickly.. hard to judge each year however.

    No (if paying with a credit card)
    Yes to the deposit (if paying with a debit card)

    yes!

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Westrunner wrote: »
    Question about the hotel system: when it goes up how fast do the popular hotels go? Do you pay 100% upfront? Can you cancel if necessary?

    You don't pay upfront, but if you're not paying with a credit card you have to send a deposit right away. You can cancel with OnPeak until around 2 weeks prior to the convention with no penalty. At that point, the reservations get transferred to the actual hotels (usually 1-2 weeks prior to the con) and you would then be subject to whatever the cancellation policy is for that hotel (usually around 72 hours prior to checkin for being a member of a large group reservation).

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • Dear everyone (@SmallLady), there will be no hoodies at the merch booth. :(
    They have thought of it already and the manufacturing cost is too high, so they stick with the tees and PA merch (plus the usual unique item).

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Dear everyone (@SmallLady), there will be no hoodies at the merch booth. :(
    They have thought of it already and the manufacturing cost is too high, so they stick with the tees and PA merch (plus the usual unique item).

    Sad news, but thanks so much for looking into it! :)

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • edited April 2012
    I only had a chance to do a quick skim, and the search box didn't bring anything back when I tried that, so I just wanted to check if we were still button-trading for Prime 2012. Cause, you know, I need to start on my design now if so. Also for obligatory find-out-about-discounts and the like; I can't remember who organized the Buttoneers before, and I don't know who at Pure Buttons set up the coupon codes for us in previous years.

    BrennaCeDria on
  • I only had a chance to do a quick skim, and the search box didn't bring anything back when I tried that, so I just wanted to check if we were still button-trading for Prime 2012. Cause, you know, I need to start on my design now if so. Also for obligatory find-out-about-discounts and the like; I can't remember who organized the Buttoneers before, and I don't know who at Pure Buttons set up the coupon codes for us in previous years.

    Yes we are, and whomever gets that set up will likely get us a PureButtons discount again if possible.

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • Heyy
    Question. What do the Badges look like?Like in general i mean?Better yet does anyone have a picture of last years badge?curious as to what i will be getting in the mail.

  • Heyy
    Question. What do the Badges look like?Like in general i mean?Better yet does anyone have a picture of last years badge?curious as to what i will be getting in the mail.

    Google search it. We don't post badge pictures on the forums anymore.

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCD regular
    Expect the badges to look more like East's than last year's though.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • edited April 2012
    Heyy
    Question. What do the Badges look like?Like in general i mean?Better yet does anyone have a picture of last years badge?curious as to what i will be getting in the mail.

    To reduce counterfeiting, no pictures of badges are going on the forums. Instead, we post pictures of bobcats. Speaking of which, I can proudly announce our new high security lanyard system for Prime:
    91038683_0d4d83e177_m.jpg

    MelesMeles on
  • edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Heyy
    Question. What do the Badges look like?Like in general i mean?Better yet does anyone have a picture of last years badge?curious as to what i will be getting in the mail.

    Google search it. We don't post badge pictures on the forums anymore.

    k thankies. ^.^


    and i wanna pet the bobcat.lol

    WeeEvil Eevee on
  • The Badges wont get ruined if they get wet right?

  • The Badges wont get ruined if they get wet right?

    Nah, they're always a some-what durable plastic.

    Now if you feed them past midnight...

    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager regular
    The Badges wont get ruined if they get wet right?
    The badges are entirely plastic (well, they have been for the last few years and probably will be this time), but if your mail is regularly getting wet enough to damage things, you might want to resolve that anyway.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • AxonAxon regular
    So I got 2 three days and 2 BYOCs yesterday but no confirmation email. I assume they'll be resending confirmations once all is well?

  • The Badges wont get ruined if they get wet right?
    The badges are entirely plastic (well, they have been for the last few years and probably will be this time), but if your mail is regularly getting wet enough to damage things, you might want to resolve that anyway.

    Awesome thanks.

    lol and it's not that my mail gets wet. it's that i tend to drop things....in sinks...toilets....and puddles.

  • Axon wrote: »
    So I got 2 three days and 2 BYOCs yesterday but no confirmation email. I assume they'll be resending confirmations once all is well?

    Make sure you were actually charged for them. If so:
    heels wrote: »
    If you do not get an email within 24 hours shoot an email over to pax_questions@paxsite.com, we'll get it taken care of.

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BC regular
    What time is will-call usually open on Thursday till? i ordered mine with fedex (coming from Canada) but my friend wont be home to have his delivered and where arriving late Thursday night. thanks in advance.

    West (Prime): 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015, 2016
    East: 2012,2013
    South: 2015, 2017
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCD regular
    edited April 2012
    I want to say 6-8PM. Will call opens back up at 8AM on Friday.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • It took about 24 hours but I got a response from Cathy at Reed Expo about the 2 pending charges. I did indeed have 2 seperate orders, instead of just 1. She apologized for the "technical snafus" they had and would be cancelling & refunding one of them.

    I've included her response in the spoiler tag.
    I apologize for our technical snafus from yesterday, you are indeed registered. You do have two separate registrations, one will be cancelled and refunded. Please use confirmation number is XXXXXXX and you have 1 three day ticket. We will send out a follow up email once we are back on track. Thank you for your understanding.

    Thanks,

    Cathy


    Cathy Glickstein
    Sr. Registration Manager
    Reed Exhibitions
    383 Main Avenue
    Norwalk, CT 06851

    [ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • I got a confirmation email for the first badge I purchased, but none for the second. Neither one has corresponding charges on my card. I sent out an email about it, but I guess a confirmation email doesn't necessarily mean anything. :s

    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • kemikal wrote: »
    I got a confirmation email for the first badge I purchased, but none for the second. Neither one has corresponding charges on my card. I sent out an email about it, but I guess a confirmation email doesn't necessarily mean anything. :s

    FWIW, just moments ago I got an email from Pax_questions@paxsite.com confirming my registration (I had not gotten an email prior about it).

  • tsrblke wrote: »
    kemikal wrote: »
    I got a confirmation email for the first badge I purchased, but none for the second. Neither one has corresponding charges on my card. I sent out an email about it, but I guess a confirmation email doesn't necessarily mean anything. :s

    FWIW, just moments ago I got an email from Pax_questions@paxsite.com confirming my registration (I had not gotten an email prior about it).
    I did get a completed registration letter before everything imploded on the old system, and just received an email from pax_questions saying they successfully moved my registration information over to the "new" system. Sounds like there won't be any issues on that front (hopefully.)

  • tsrblke wrote: »
    kemikal wrote: »
    I got a confirmation email for the first badge I purchased, but none for the second. Neither one has corresponding charges on my card. I sent out an email about it, but I guess a confirmation email doesn't necessarily mean anything. :s

    FWIW, just moments ago I got an email from Pax_questions@paxsite.com confirming my registration (I had not gotten an email prior about it).
    I did get a completed registration letter before everything imploded on the old system, and just received an email from pax_questions saying they successfully moved my registration information over to the "new" system. Sounds like there won't be any issues on that front (hopefully.)

    Also we have only 2 charges (1 for each purchased ticket, ordered seperately) on our card as well as two pending. It looks like this is a result of the move (the pending charges are the old system and the confirmed are the new, especially since the name differs.) So I'm hopeful that will work as well without a hiccup. (Usually any charge not moved from pending to confirmed by this amount of time ends just dropping off.)

  • edited April 2012
    Did you guys see that there are already scalpers for Prime? There is some guy selling his badge he got during the first round of registration on ebay already... :/

    momopeaches on
  • On average, how far are Onpeak hotels from the convetion center?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCD regular
    edited April 2012
    I think they're all within a half-mile, definitely under a mile.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rum regular
    They're all within reasonable drunken stumble distance afaik.

  • Anyone else having problems getting the twitter feed to text them?

    TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • zerzhulzerzhul mod
    edited April 2012
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems getting the twitter feed to text them?

    For SMS notifications, you have to enable individual people's tweets to text you.

    https://support.twitter.com/articles/14589-how-to-add-your-phone-via-sms
    https://twitter.com/settings/devices

    zerzhul on
    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • WestrunnerWestrunner regular
    edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems getting the twitter feed to text them?

    For SMS notifications, you have to enable individual people's tweets to text you.

    https://support.twitter.com/articles/14589-how-to-add-your-phone-via-sms
    https://twitter.com/settings/devices

    Yeah, totally appreciate the helpful links, but it's not the Twitter process that's giving me difficulties. I've got all the SMS notifications on, my phone "verified" with my twitter account, and I only sporadically get messages from 1 or 2 of my followers I am using to test and it's a small portion of their actual tweets. So it works some of the time.

    Found a workaround if anyone else is having issues with Twitter Jank. I set up a fake account and only subscribed to the official PAX stream. Then I set the app to notify (ringtone/vibrate/light) whenever a new tweet was recieved. So far works great.

    Westrunner on
    TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • CrogothCrogoth regular
    edited April 2012
    from wikipedia:
    "Announced on the PAX Prime website on January 13th 2011, PAX Prime 2011 took place from August 26th to August 28th. The event brought in over 70,000 attendees, breaking the attendance record set at PAX East 2011 and making it the largest PAX to date."


    do the boards ramp up as we near the event date, or is there a much wider fanbase than this forum? Just curious

    Crogoth on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo regular
    Yes, the boards become more active the closer it gets to the date, with the boards going pretty crazy during PAX itself. There is also a much wider fanbase than this forum; groups from other gaming forums/communities often come to this as well

    <@heels>; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels>; oh god, what am i doing
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCD regular
    One thing to keep in mind: there are people who go to PAX who don't even know what Penny Arcade is. So yeah, it's a lot more than the people on this forum.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • whypick1 wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind: there are people who go to PAX who don't even know what Penny Arcade is. So yeah, it's a lot more than the people on this forum.

    that must suck just a tiny bit >_>

  • Crogoth wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind: there are people who go to PAX who don't even know what Penny Arcade is. So yeah, it's a lot more than the people on this forum.

    that must suck just a tiny bit >_>

    Also keep in mind that those are turnstile numbers (per day numbers combined).

    Anyhow, I would argue that those who don't participate in this forum don't get the "full PAX experience" since they miss out on all the fun pre and post pax community activities.

    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
This discussion has been closed.