As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D'aww [chat]

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    okay i figured everything out

instead of going dress shopping and taking dance lessons

i'll hurl myself out the window, hail a cab, and move to mexico

Passport?

I don't have a passport I'll just smuggle myself in a drug dealer's butt

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    A stranger seeing you and finding you attractive when they didn't know you were fat is one thing.

someone you've seen around the office for years treating you one way (cold/distant) while you were fat, and then trying to act like they've always been your bestest bud is physically and mentally revolting. If you can't see why...

I don't get it.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    honestly i think our society is focused enough on physicality that a good looking murderer will get WAY more luck romantically than a non-violent fat guy, even if that guy is actually good looking himself!

pretty much any society really

Evil Multifarious on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    honestly i think our society is focused enough on physicality that a good looking murderer will get WAY more luck romantically than a non-violent fat guy, even if that guy is actually good looking himself!

pretty much any society really

I blame Dexter.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ugh, I have been unproductive today and it is ruining my mood. Grr...I should just shit out this 3 page paper on Mao but I don't wanna.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    It's kind of odd that "pried" and "pride" are pronounced the same way. I don't understand the presence of homophones in languageee

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    desc wrote: »
    Cass gets across the Mexican border and crawls out of the trunk of the cab where she hid without a passport

The first thing she realizes is that she is surrounded by ladies in traditional white dresses twirling around for a folklore and traditional dance festival

Every single woman in the city is dancing and wearing a dress

NO ESCAPE

hahaha

Ludious wrote: »
    A stranger seeing you and finding you attractive when they didn't know you were fat is one thing.

someone you've seen around the office for years treating you one way (cold/distant) while you were fat, and then trying to act like they've always been your bestest bud is physically and mentally revolting. If you can't see why...

I don't get it.

no that scenario you just described is totally awful

a person not being attracted to you but still, you know, being entirely civil and treating you like a human being and talking with you as they normally would, but then finding themselves attracted to you when you lose weight, is also totally fine, i think

basically there is no scenario in which treating someone badly because they are overweight is acceptable

Now I'm thinking of Buster accidentally stowing himself away to Lupe's house and thinking he's in Mexico

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Cass gets across the Mexican border and crawls out of the trunk of the cab where she hid without a passport

The first thing she realizes is that she is surrounded by ladies in traditional white dresses twirling around for a folklore and traditional dance festival

NO ESCAPE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD

NO GOD PLEASE NO

NO

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm very grumpy today

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

NO ESCAPE

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    It's kind of odd that "pried" and "pride" are pronounced the same way. I don't understand the presence of homophones in languageee

You are correct, but I had to say "Pried" and "Pride" out loud first because in my head they sounded (very subtly) different. But no, they are the same. English is weird.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i crawl across the mexican border only to discover i was mexican all along

twist

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    FUCK IT'S CASUAL DRESS

Blame the Normans.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Can anyone help me solve this blasted Math problem?

qCbL6.png

Sure (and sorry for the messy notation, but this form doesn't parse math tex or anything).

In any fraction, it's totally legit to multiply the numerator and denominator by the same quantity. It's the same as multiplying the whole thing by 1. So take just that inner fraction to start:

(x^-1 * y^2)/(5*x*y^-2)

Multiply the numerator and denominator by x. Remember that x*x^-1 = 1

(y^2)/(5*x^2*y^-2)

Now multiply the numerator and denominator by y^2. Specifically, this is to cancel that y^-2 in the denominator, since y^2 * y^-2 = 1

(y^4)/(5*x^2)

Ok, there we are, all positive exponents. Now let's slip that back into the original problem:

((y^4)/(5*x^2))^4

Now you should know that: (x^y)^z = x^(y*z) and (x*y)^z = x^z*y^z. These are basic properties of exponents. So the above changes into:

((y^16)/(5^4*x^8))

Simplify the 5^4:

((y^16)/(625*x^8))

Or to make it a lot simpler, just write all the divisions correctly as exponents:

(x^-1 * y^2 * 5^-1 * x^-1 * y^2)^4 = (y^4 / 5x^2)^4 = (y^16 / 625*x^8 )

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Wow that was really late, forgot to refresh the page again

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I don't get it.

no that scenario you just described is totally awful

a person not being attracted to you but still, you know, being entirely civil and treating you like a human being and talking with you as they normally would, but then finding themselves attracted to you when you lose weight, is also totally fine, i think

basically there is no scenario in which treating someone badly because they are overweight is acceptable

Therein lies my problem. I'm supposed be happy that people are suddenly being nice to me? I'm happy in the sense that it makes my life easier at work. I'm happy in the sense that I will use it to manipulate my way into influence.

I am disgusted with them individually and it's made me more misanthropic than I was even before I lost weight. They are less than people to me now.

english has a lot of homographs as well

bear and bear

what is the justification for that? there is none.
    puns

bear and bear

i am trying ascension for .99

if its good you sould buy it @desc

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    In the digital copy of The Silmarillion I bought from the google books store in the introduction they included a letter from Tolkien to his publisher explaining and summarizing what the hell this stuff is about.

One of the (many) interesting bits is that for Tolkien "magic" and "technology" are not opposed. In fact they are pretty much the same thing (very Asimov). They are both means of acomplishing things more quickly and easily than someone could manage on their own. And in this they are both very dangerous. Not inherently evil, but perilous.

I'd post the whole thing bit it is too long. You can read it here (it is letter 131): http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/139008/The_Letters_of_J.R.R.Tolkien.pdf

It is pretty amazing how much straight up wrong information exists out there in commentary about LOTR. Especially when it comes to things like a "black and white" morality or people being born into their morality. Couldn't be further from the truth really.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    It's also fascinating how much our worldview and the way we conduct ourselves is shaped and molded by (and obviously in response and resistance to) our physical appearance.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I guess I don't really understand

to me, it's like if you are really boring and no one wants to invite you to parties

and then you read some books and learn some jokes and get interesting and suddenly you are the life of the party

cool! you improved yourself and people responded!

I would think this would be pleasing

the treatment you receive from others- when you're very fat- is hard to explain. it's incredibly humiliating. at least with boring people they can be regarded as equals until they open their mouths. when you're super fat, people's eyes just glide over you. it's like you're not there. i can't really describe it adequately. hundreds of times a day someone instantaneously appraises you and then looks away. i'm not just talking about hot ladies. and the people who do talk to you often make light of it in ways that are seemingly harmless. look how many overweight teenagers turn to being the 'funny fat kid' and pulling up their shirts and shit. that's not fun socialization- it's not their way of fitting in. it's intensely embarrassing and painful, but sometimes the only way to get people to look at us.

i'm not trying to sound like a martyr. i'm fat because i eat too much- so much that even though i'm an active person and i like exercising, it's not enough. and i think i'm pretty charming and funny. i'd rather be me than a boring dude or a dumb dude.

but it still sucks really badly in a way that is complicated and too nuanced to express correctly. i dunno. of course it's better (for me, anyway- not gonna speak for everyone) to be thin than fat. i am glad that my life gets better in a lot of ways when i watch my weight. but at least in terms of socialization, it is incredibly demoralizing and at times infuriating to go from feeling like a circus bear to a human being. it's like, no, fuck you. i was a human being the entire time.

If there is something strange in English it is usually best to blame the great vowel shift or the Normans. You can't really go wrong either way.

u7stthr17eud.png
    As always, Chu is much more eloquent on these matters.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

bear and bear

I often read things daily and just read this and still don't understand.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    FUCK IT'S CASUAL DRESS

GOD DAMN THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR BELIEF IN COMFORT.

edited April 2012
    I actually feel like I understand incredibly deeply and thoroughly what fat people go through, although I was never particularly "fat" myself

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Eddy on

NO ESCAPE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD

NO GOD PLEASE NO

NO

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I imagine you yelling all of that, looking around, and just sort of resigning yourself to your fate and dancing along in defeat

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I guess I don't really understand

to me, it's like if you are really boring and no one wants to invite you to parties

and then you read some books and learn some jokes and get interesting and suddenly you are the life of the party

cool! you improved yourself and people responded!

I would think this would be pleasing

the treatment you receive from others- when you're very fat- is hard to explain. it's incredibly humiliating. at least with boring people they can be regarded as equals until they open their mouths. when you're super fat, people's eyes just glide over you. it's like you're not there. i can't really describe it adequately. hundreds of times a day someone instantaneously appraises you and then looks away. i'm not just talking about hot ladies. and the people who do talk to you often make light of it in ways that are seemingly harmless. look how many overweight teenagers turn to being the 'funny fat kid' and pulling up their shirts and shit. that's not fun socialization- it's not their way of fitting in. it's intensely embarrassing and painful, but sometimes the only way to get people to look at us.

i'm not trying to sound like a martyr. i'm fat because i eat too much- so much that even though i'm an active person and i like exercising, it's not enough. and i think i'm pretty charming and funny. i'd rather be me than a boring dude or a dumb dude.

but it still sucks really badly in a way that is complicated and too nuanced to express correctly. i dunno. of course it's better (for me, anyway- not gonna speak for everyone) to be thin than fat. i am glad that my life gets better in a lot of ways when i watch my weight. but at least in terms of socialization, it is incredibly demoralizing and at times infuriating to go from feeling like a circus bear to a human being. it's like, no, fuck you. i was a human being the entire time.

:^:

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    not that I know personally, but I can empathize and see how terrible those we deem "overweight" are treated by society

One of the other things about dancing is that much like sex, you can do it and it forces the bitchy parts of your brain to briefly accept your body as a nexus of pleasure and strength rather than some living visual failing in which your mind has been encased
    until you get tired and your feet hurt and you're sweaty and ugh

One of the other things about dancing is that much like sex, you can do it and it forces the bitchy parts of your brain to briefly accept your body as a nexus of pleasure and strength rather than some living visual failing in which your mind has been encased

I liked that part a lot, even when was just kind of shuffling in place at exactly 140 bpm for 8 hours of trance music

I liked that part a lot, even when was just kind of shuffling in place at exactly 140 bpm for 8 hours of trance music

Yeah, when I really get into dancing it is an amazing feeling. But usually have to have friends and such around me really into it. Like dancing to hip hop is different than dancing to trance which is very different than moshing/dancing to punk.

But once you really get going you kind of understand why a lot of places around the world developing dancing as part of their spiritual belief system.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    FUCK IT'S CASUAL DRESS

GOD DAMN THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR BELIEF IN COMFORT.

They want me to wear 'indoor shoes'

can I just wash my sneakers or should I wear my heels or what

I have no idea what the fuck constitutes an indoor shoe beyond going out and buying new ones specifically for this oh god

at the end of the phone call the guy was like 'please come!'

JUST MORE PEER PRESSURe

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    until you get tired and your feet hurt and you're sweaty and ugh

My feet are rarely hurting after dancing. Leigh on the other hand....

edited April 2012
    I actually feel like I understand incredibly deeply and thoroughly what fat people go through, although I was never particularly "fat" myself

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Why character
    why not aharacter

Ludious on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    here's another thing- we can't move. we can't enjoy ourselves at concerts. every step you take you're conscious of whether stuff is bouncing in an unflattering way. new york city is my favorite place in the world. but that highlights it even more- everywhere young, good looking nyu students and hipsters and businessmen in italian suits. last year i went to a concert under this hip little bakery/bar in manhattan and i just stood still drinking a beer. i had fun but the entire time i felt like i didn't belong. shit sucks.

This discussion has been closed.