As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel yet about how Chinese investors are making Iron Man 3 more China-oriented.

I'm not too happy about the human rights record of China. Plus, if the film is being made for marketing in China, then I feel like the film is going to be very much sanitized with respect to being viewed in China.

Also, if any super hero epitomizes capitalist, democratic-oriented America, I think Iron Man does. Yes, even more than Captain America.

Then again, it would be anti-freedom to say someone can't invest in a film because of their views.

This is starting to sound like that Brosnan Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies, where we wheel out a villain that's turning China and America on eachother before both nations wise up and take him down.

Still, I've got confidence in Black and Downey.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    From what I read of Andy Lau joining the film, it probably will be sanitized about China, as he's supposed to be an old friend who's Chinese Tony Stark, there might even be Chinese Iron Men, as in a whole bunch of them helping out Tony. It would be nice if they throw a few lines about just straight up stealing some of the Iron Man designs as a commentary on IP law, but it probably won't happen. Look at what they did to Dark Knight, where it wasn't even a critique about the country, more about one man and a mention of extradition laws.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I have to wait until Saturday

Woe is me!

If it helps ( and /jelly @ Solar also) I won't get to see it til like the 5th-6th ( and possibly not til the week after that the way work is leaning )

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I don't know how I feel yet about how Chinese investors are making Iron Man 3 more China-oriented.

I'm not too happy about the human rights record of China. Plus, if the film is being made for marketing in China, then I feel like the film is going to be very much sanitized with respect to being viewed in China.

Also, if any super hero epitomizes capitalist, democratic-oriented America, I think Iron Man does. Yes, even more than Captain America.

Then again, it would be anti-freedom to say someone can't invest in a film because of their views.

This is starting to sound like that Brosnan Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies, where we wheel out a villain that's turning China and America on eachother before both nations wise up and take him down.

A plot like that seems fine for Mandarin. I just hope the film being made in China doesn't hurt the character. Though from what I've heard potential spoiler for Iron Man 3
    Ben Kingsley's character leads a group called the Mandarin.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Didn't Ip Man 2 beat Iron Man 2 in the Chinese box office? I wonder why they would try to make an American film more popular.

steam_sig-400.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    herojoe wrote: »
    Didn't Ip Man 2 beat Iron Man 2 in the Chinese box office? I wonder why they would try to make an American film more popular.

From what I read, the Chinese investors are, mainly, a marketing firm. To me, this means they are more looking for market possibilities then just the take from the box office. Ip Man 2 could win the box office, but Iron Man 2 could make hundreds of millions more through toys, shirts, posters, lunch boxes, advertising, and so forth and so on.

Hell, its how George Lucas made himself. He gave Fox the majority of the box office take for Star Wars, but kept all the merchandising rights for himself.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

A plot like that seems fine for Mandarin. I just hope the film being made in China doesn't hurt the character. Though from what I've heard potential spoiler for Iron Man 3
    So when Iron Man first came out back in the day, everyone wrote off the Mandarin as a villain, because his "magic rings" seemed to not fit with the "realistic" angle they were taking with IM.

But now we've had Thor, and cosmic cubes, and shape-changing Lokis ... the "science-magic" of the setting seems pretty well established now. So can we please get a proper, accurate Mandarin villain?

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »

So when Iron Man first came out back in the day, everyone wrote off the Mandarin as a villain, because his "magic rings" seemed to not fit with the "realistic" angle they were taking with IM.

But now we've had Thor, and cosmic cubes, and shape-changing Lokis ... the "science-magic" of the setting seems pretty well established now. So can we please get a proper, accurate Mandarin villain?
    Would it be crazy to introduce the rings as some kind of nano-technology transmitters, and perhaps even go as far to tie that into Extremis? Not making the whole Extremis story into a movie, mind you, but touching on it in the same way that IM2 very loosely touched on Demon in a Bottle. Or, was going to.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Writer/director Shane Black has publically stated he finds the manderin to ba a "racist charicature."

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

Writer/director Shane Black has publically stated he finds the manderin to ba a "racist charicature."

The way he was originally portrayed/drawn, I can definitely see that. Put him right in the same category as
    Fu Manchu, or worse, the Yellow Claw

But I don't see that with the version we've been familiar with since at least the mid-80's.

The way he was originally portrayed/drawn, I can definitely see that. Put him right in the same category as
    Fu Manchu, or worse, the Yellow Claw

But I don't see that with the version we've been familiar with since at least the mid-80's.

He probably only saw a few episodes form the 90's Iron Man cartoon. I hope someone at Marvel has gotten him up to date with the character.

Considering noone ever seemed to correct Favreau about the Mandarin's rings being alien technology and not magic, I doubt anyone has clarified shit to Shane Black.

Considering noone ever seemed to correct Favreau about the Mandarin's rings being alien technology and not magic, I doubt anyone has clarified shit to Shane Black.

Marvel should have learnt from Favreau. :evil:

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    From what I read of Andy Lau joining the film, it probably will be sanitized about China, as he's supposed to be an old friend who's Chinese Tony Stark, there might even be Chinese Iron Men, as in a whole bunch of them helping out Tony. It would be nice if they throw a few lines about just straight up stealing some of the Iron Man designs as a commentary on IP law, but it probably won't happen. Look at what they did to Dark Knight, where it wasn't even a critique about the country, more about one man and a mention of extradition laws.

I dunno, I could totally buy into some kind of thing on China's whole disregard of IP law and all that. At the risk of sounding uncouth about it all, China's reputation for reverse-engineering knock-off technology as well as their reputation for doing the manufacturing work for most of the original stuff has kind of overshadowed their other major contemporary reputations of human rights violations and blatant disregard for the environment.

Plus the IP/tech manufacturing thing is a lot easier to laugh off than an Iron Man about, say, dissidents sent to labor camps for years, or workers so covered in painful, cancerous sores they cannot lie down to sleep at night and put a pillow on a table and lean against it instead.

So, yes. Expect some ha ha ha about SnarkTech armored suits and all that. Besides, the Iron Man movies have thus far a proven track record of showing aspects of the corporate world as well as cutting edge tech businesses. This fits into that pretty well.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for someone to make a photoshop of RDJ in Tianemen Square using his arms outstreched horizontally pose.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    Tickets are apparently really, really selling well for Avengers.
    More pre-sales than all of the other Marvel movies combined.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Jackson said he watched the notorious 1998 B-movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. "and decided I was not going to do any of that."

noooooooo

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EDIT: N/M

Crimsondude on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    This is pretty interesting, sounds like Marvel will just replace their actors, rather than do a reboot
    Iron Man 3, which begins filming in three weeks, will mark the fourth time Robert Downey Jr. has suited up as Tony Stark. Just how much longer will the 47-year-old actor play the role? And what will happen to the Iron Man movies once he's gone?

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige addressed that in a recent interview with Badass Digest.

"I think Bond is a good example. Let's put it this way: I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark," Feige said. "If and when he doesn't, and I'm still here making these movies, we don't take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again. I think we James Bond it."

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    That's great

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ooooh I don't know if it'd be a great idea to replace RDJr as Stark no matter how much they want to keep the franchise alive.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Let's have the next three Iron Man movies be about Henry Hellrung, playing Iron Man in a trilogy of movies.

Alternatively, they could always invoke Teen Tony.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    no we need to do proper demon in the bottle and have don cheadle be iron man because tony is too drunk to do it

THEN we do teen tony

7656367.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    they could pull a Heroes Reborn and just recast everyone

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    who would play onslaught??????

7656367.jpg
    who would play onslaught??????

A genetic hybrid of Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Onslaught would actually be played by a smoke cloud that you never fully see.

You just ruined years of therapy...

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Movie reviewers will wonder why Galactus was in the film.

Tomanta wrote: »

Movie reviewers will wonder why Galactus was in the film.

Because Parrallax was busy?

edited April 2012
    This is pretty interesting, sounds like Marvel will just replace their actors, rather than do a reboot
    Iron Man 3, which begins filming in three weeks, will mark the fourth time Robert Downey Jr. has suited up as Tony Stark. Just how much longer will the 47-year-old actor play the role? And what will happen to the Iron Man movies once he's gone?

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige addressed that in a recent interview with Badass Digest.

"I think Bond is a good example. Let's put it this way: I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark," Feige said. "If and when he doesn't, and I'm still here making these movies, we don't take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again. I think we James Bond it."

That's expected. I'm pleased they've confirmed they're willing to do this.

Harry Dresden on
    edited April 2012
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ooooh I don't know if it'd be a great idea to replace RDJr as Stark no matter how much they want to keep the franchise alive.

Downey Jr. is a great Stark, but he's not the only actor in the universe who can do Tony justice on the big screen. He'll leave eventually, all actors do. I do not want to see an elderly Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark in Iron Man 38.

Harry Dresden on
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Tony Stark in ten years.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Tony Stark in ten years.

Inspired choice. :^:

I don't know, I could go with Johnny Depp as Tony Stark. He can definetly pull off the mustache...

I don't know, I could go with Johnny Depp as Tony Stark. He can definetly pull off the mustache...
    Depp is older than RDJ by a year, though.

Yeah, but Depp has this weird unaging thing going on. Guy still looks very similiar to when I first saw him in 21 Jump Street.

Man...now I wonder what Tim Burton directing a Marvel movie would be like...

If it's anything like the original Batman, thanks but I'll pass.

I don't even think Moon Knight would work well Burton's aesthetic.

Yeah, but Depp has this weird unaging thing going on. Guy still looks very similiar to when I first saw him in 21 Jump Street.

If it's anything like the original Batman, thanks but I'll pass.

I don't even think Moon Knight would work well Burton's aesthetic.

Deadpool might be in his wheelhouse.

not Marvel, but Tim Burton might do well on a Sandman project

This discussion has been closed.